Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never seen a gold iPhone in person before but it's the only one in stock still right now. Was there anyone else that was hesitant about the gold phone and ended up loving it? I've never seen one in person before and I don't have time to go see one at a store. I know this is all gonna depend on my own tastes but still.

If it's the same gold as the 5s then it's quite pretty. It's more of a champagne color, it's not garish or anything. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought it might be a little too much "bling" but it really isn't.

However the iPhone 6 is bigger and has a different design so I don't know if it's going to look good or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I bought a gold 5s because I thought it was pretty. All of my (also female) friends chose the gold for the same reason. We all ordered on the release day at midnight and had to wait because there was a shortage of them.

I don't know a single guy who has a gold iPhone, though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Piquai Souban posted:

That or the U2 album mini-controversy.

Who tf is U2?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wonder how many Genius appointments were booked just to get this off of people's phones.

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

fordan posted:

Well, if you were living your life the Apple Way it'd just appear in your iTunes Match results ready to be streamed, not auto download and the like.

I actually do have iTunes Match, but my point is that it should have been optional, just give us a code or something and we can get it if we want it. I've already hidden it now but a lot of people don't know how to do it and are pretty annoyed/confused.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

See also: bitching about the U2 album. I guarantee that 99% of iPhone users don't care as they're not obsessing over every detail of their cell phone.

People do care about their music libraries and this really did annoy a lot of people, because it just showed up for them when they went to "music". A lot of people thought someone had hacked their iTunes account because it showed up as "purchased" for them. Not everyone watches the Apple events and so they had no idea this was coming. They knew about the "iCloud hack" though and they freaked out because "HOW DID THIS GET ON MY PHONE????"

It was just not a good move to do it that way.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a need for more than a gig of ram on iPhone? How much of a need?

Well you see, my mixtapes

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I mean I watched the keynote and noticed the camera. How is this A Thing?

Wobblegate

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So Apple is apparently not releasing any kind of update or patch to address iCloud Drive in Mavericks. If you use a Mac and don't have Yosemite, don't upgrade to iCloud Drive when iOS 8 drops or your apps won't sync.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Molten Llama posted:

Of course not; the update to address iCloud Drive is called Yosemite. If it runs Mavericks, it'll run Yosemite.

Now, why they didn't yank temporarily yank iCloud Drive from iOS 8 like they did some other features (like, say, the Yosemite-dependent Continuity) is a question for the ages. Yosemite clearly wasn't and isn't going to be ready in time for iOS 8's release.

I'll be charitably optimistic—maybe they have remote control over whether the upgrade prompt is displayed. Maybe regular iOS 8 users simply won't be prompted for now, and there won't be an angry mob burning copies of Age of Innocence and bitching about their missing documents.

I hope you're right, because I have a feeling it's going to come up on the iOS update, people are going to do it and it's going to be a disaster. I mean... some app developers are already warning their users not to upgrade...

I'm using Yosemite anyway so I'll be fine but I think it's a huge oversight on their end not to simply release at least some kind of iCloud Drive app or something for Mavericks, or completely yank it out of iOS 8 for now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DarkJC posted:

There's a lot of people that don't use macs and just have an iPhone / iPad that could take advantage of iCloud Drive now though.

Yeah absolutely, I'm just worried about all the Mac + iPhone users who just rush through upgrades without reading instructions.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tab8715 posted:

Where's iOS 8? Or is it just coming out later today?

10AM PST, 12PM CST, 1PM EST.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Mine was downloading, then it switched to "preparing update..." and has been stuck there for like 20 minutes. Is this normal? I don't mind waiting, just wondering if the server is down or what.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah, it took forever for me too. If you look closely, you'll see the progress bar is probably inching forward.

Yeah mine just moved forward a little. I have to go out in like 20 minutes though. Ugh.

Lblitzer posted:

How on earth do I try out new keyboards? I'm not getting any results for the right ones searching for "fleksy" "swiftkey" or "swype".

They're not up yet, but Swiftkey should be up soon according to their Twitter. Here's the link they posted: http://t.co/mRzRJhnMFL

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just did a manual upgrade over iTunes and it worked fine. Here's the ipsw file: http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8-beta-download-release-date-features-rumors-and-news-update/

Just option+click (or shift+click on windows) the "check for update" button in iTunes and select the file. It only takes a couple of minutes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

How where?

Open the Swifkey app and go to keyboard settings --> themes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jiffynuts posted:

I'm bummed (and annoyed) Apple ditched the "Camera Roll" album from the photo app and turned it into "Recent Photos". Yes, I know you can tap photos on the left and go into the collections/year/etc view, but it's annoying and not as good/fun/quick as infinitely scrolling up the camera roll. Maybe they're forcing people to throw images into albums and sort everything that way. But still, I know so many people who just used the camera roll and that was that. Wonder if Apple brings that back "due to popular demand".

Yeah, this is really annoying. It also added a folder called "oldpics" that says "from my Mac" under it and it can't be deleted at all -- the album can't be deleted and the pictures can't be deleted. The weird thing is, I don't have "sync photos" or whatever selected in iTunes, and I can't find the photos or this "oldpics" folder on my Mac at all. They're definitely my photos from last month, but they're not on my computer and now I can't remove them from my iPhone. :psyduck:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Probably some sort of weird iPhoto/PhotoStream/iCloud carryover.

Yeah but it's just so weird, I can't find them on my Mac and I can't delete them off the phone. And it's like a handful of photos from last month, the rest are all in the right place except for these. So strange.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Question Mark Mound posted:

Still trying to get used to SwiftKey but it's severely slowed me down while I check it got my words right. Though I think what bugs me the most is that I can't hold down the keyboard button to get a list of all my keyboards. I can only tap it to go back to normal and then hold it for a list.

Don't spend any time at all looking at the keyboard. Just look at the predictions and hit space to pick the default one (the one in the center). If you let it learn from your social network accounts and email, it'll be right 99% of the time. Just learn to trust the keyboard, let it do its thing, and eventually you'll be typing just a couple of letters and then hitting space to write whole words.

As for the rest, I have a feeling it's a limitation of iOS that third party keyboards can't access the keyboard list. I don't switch keyboards anymore now (it used to annoy me that I had to every time I was writing in another language) so I hadn't even noticed that, but yeah it's annoying. Hopefully this will be addressed in future releases. The whole keyboard thing is still a bit buggy right now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Prorat posted:

Does iOS8 slow down the 5s or 5c?

No slowness at all on my 5s but it's a bit buggy and the photos app is kind of poo poo now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, Gmail and Facebook. Tried hooking it up to my Twitter too and that didn't seem to work.

How are you typing? Are you looking at the keyboard? Because you should only focus on the predictions. It will correct your typos no problem, don't even worry about that. Just look at the predictions and hit space to choose the middle one, which should be correct 99% of the time. It takes a little getting used to, but you have to just trust that it'll make the right choice for you, and if it's not doing that yet, you can tap the right prediction and it'll learn for next time. If it's not suggesting the right word, write it and then tap it when it shows up on the predictions. It'll learn it. It knows my email address because I taught it that way.

I've been using it for years and Swiftkey Cloud already had all my data from Android, so I can text and write short emails just by hitting a letter or two and then space.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So is the whole iCloud photo backup thing just plain not working at all right now or what? I can't tell if my photos were uploaded or not because photostream is gone. Am I missing something?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DarkJC posted:

iCloud Photo Library isn't active yet. When it is, there will be a switch to enable it.
Right but I thought there would still be photo backups, or at least something like the old photostream, in the meantime...

fleshweasel posted:

The new photos app is a step back for the 5 at least. I want to use my iPhone to look at my photos when I browse them. I want the old thumbnail size back.
Yeah it's really awful. The whole "moments" thing is terrible. Also for some reason one photo from July is showing up, clearly from iCloud because that photo was deleted two months ago, but it's showing no photos from August. Oh and it created an album that it says it's "from my Mac" but the photos are not on my Mac at all and were deleted weeks ago. I can't delete the album or the photos off my phone.

I mean, I have all my photos backed up so I haven't lost anything but what the hell is going on with photos.app :psyduck:

And boy is iOS 8 buggy

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

dutchbstrd posted:

I think that happens for the first hours/day that you restore a backup. iOS is doing all sorts of one time poo poo like indexing everything on the phone so stuff like this happens.
This is happening everywhere, I think it's the keyboards. It's all a bit buggy, there's noticeable lag and sometimes the keyboard just doesn't come up at all.

smackfu posted:

It looks like Photostream still exists, there just isn't an interface to it because with iCloud Photo Library, there is no distinction between your camera roll and the cloud. Photos I've taken on iOS 8 are showing up on my Mac still. Without adjustments... guess that is still waiting on that new photo app.

Oh that's a relief. I'm using Yosemite so I can't see anything at all right now. As long as they're there, though, I don't really care. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm not going to keep ranting about the new photos app because then I just won't shut up. I just don't like it. Really wish they'd kept the old camera roll layout at least, with the larger thumbnails. Oh well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Donald Kimball posted:

Is there anyway to import all of my messages from Hangouts (on my Moto X) to Messages on the 6?

No.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

nate fisher posted:

This is the first iPhone launch I missed since the 4. Part of me feels like I need the 6 now, but I am trying to be patient and wait for the 6s.

Yeah I'm itching for a bigger screen too, but I'm definitely waiting for the 6s. I'm hoping that OIS will make its way to the smaller model by then somehow. I've had phablets before so I could probably deal with something the size of the 6+ but I'd much rather get the smaller one.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
FYI other apps get push notifications for gmail no problem. I use Boxer and I get them no problem.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

blugu64 posted:

Does the new iPhone support NFC for things other then Apple Pay? I've been using a nexus, and am hopelessly addicted to tasker+nfc tags. Any chance the new iPhone will have similar capabilities (even if it's third party)?

Maybe next year they'll open up the NFC stuff, but I seriously doubt there will ever be anything like Tasker for iOS.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

If it means iTunes Radio won't repeat songs all the loving time, I'm all for it.

iTunes Radio is useless anyway with no unlimited skips. Even as an iTunes Match subscriber my skips are limited. I don't get the point of it at all, I'm all for music discovery but that should include, you know, being able to skip stuff that you don't like when it comes up...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

prom candy posted:

Is anyone else getting brutal wi-fi slowness on their iPhone 6?

I'm experiencing it on my 5s. It's so slow I'm just using LTE. Everything else works fine on wifi (MacBook, husband's PC, husband's Android phone and tablet). It must be some iOS 8 weirdness or something.

I did the reset network settings thing and it worked for a few hours, then it slowed down again and my game timed out. :(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bronin posted:

Same here, also with a 5s. Both awful and Safari time out from time to time.

It's really weird because it's kinda random. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it's so slow it times out. It's a big problem for me because I'm on a limited data plan. Hopefully they'll fix it soon...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Other email apps like Boxer and Mailbox also have push support for gmail.

The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to change the default apps. I really like having twitter links open in my favorite twitter app, email links open in my email client and so on. It's not a huge deal though and certainly not enough to make me want to switch back. Just a minor annoyance.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

prom candy posted:

I think you can do this with a jailbreak tweak once a stable one comes out for iOS 8.

Yeah probably but I'm not really sure I want to jailbreak just for that. It seems like it should be the default behavior, since you can set your default apps on a Mac and well on just about everything really except iOS. I'm not sure it's justified anymore now that we can change our default keyboards and customize the notification shade. Seems like the whole "we want to control the user experience" reasoning doesn't really apply anymore now.

I'm hoping that this will be the next step for them but I'm not holding my breath.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bottom Liner posted:

Themes and widgets will be a part of iOS9 home screen. Bet on it.

I don't think so. I mean it'd be really nice to have more flexibility for customization but I think Apple wants the look of iOS to remain the same for everyone. And if there's anything I've learned from Android is that if you let people customize their phone, a lot of times it's going to look like this

I mean I'm all for customization, if you're happy with your home screen that's all that matters really. But I don't think Apple would allow it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

lelandjs posted:

I agree. If you have certain use cases (for instance, you use your phone as your main internet consumption device, like me) then the 6 Plus is a no brainer, but it is a fringe use case device and not one that everyone should have. I'm glad I got it, I love it, but I would never think that someone who bought a 6 instead would be wrong in doing so.

I had a Note 3 for a while and I loved it, but like you I used it as my primary internet device. A large screen is really loving awesome for reading ebooks too and I could watch Netflix on it without feeling silly -- it was just big enough for that. I was also the edge case that actually had a use for the stylus -- I'm an artist so I used it as a digital sketchbook which I absolutely loved (and desperately miss).

In the end though I chose not to keep it because it was such a pain in the rear end to take pictures with it -- it was just not possible for me to take pictures with one hand, which is how I do it most of the time since I'm always carrying shopping bags or walking the dog or whatever. It was just too big for that, and I was really bummed. I've heard that the 6 Plus is not quite as wide as the Note 3, though. Are you able to take pictures with it using just one hand? The answer is probably "no" but hope springs eternal. I miss having a stupidly huge screen.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The iPhone Thread: I'm about the same level of aspergian insufferability

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Laserface posted:

Has 8.0.2 fixed the Wifi issues yet? theres nothing in the notes that says it does.

Nope.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
re: iTunes -- I use iTunes Match so I haven't done this in ages, but how long exactly is it sitting on 'preparing to update'? Because I seem to remember it taking forever when I was adding a lot of music.

e:

Are only certain people having issues with this? I didn't have any problems with WiFi on 8.0 or 8.0.2 across multiple different WiFi networks :confused:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-issues-battery-drain-wifi/

It's not affecting everyone and Apple hasn't acknowledged it but yeah it's a thing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I really like iTunes Match. $25/yr and my music library syncs between all my devices no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I'm specifically referring to how Android handles the management of apps and notifications. As in there is almost no management what so ever. All apps can notify by default, and you have to dig into an obscure settings preference to disable them. You need to use third party apps if you want any customization to how the notifications are handled.

You can just long press any notification to turn it off on Android. It's not that hard. You can just go to the settings on any app and turn them off too.

I mean there's a lot wrong with Android but this is really not that bad. I actually prefer it to the messy chaos that is the iOS notification settings. Obviously this is personal preference but I would much prefer to have all app settings be within the app itself rather than on a separate app.