Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.

Or you could get the light pink leather case which is, according to the photos on Apple's site, the same color as the gold backed phone.

At least I hope so. I'm comfortable in my sexuality but not quite enough to be carrying around a pink case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I did some comparisons to objects I had lying around my house and discovered that the colored part of the top half of my 3DS XL is the same H/W/L as the 6 Plus.

So if you're looking for a size comparison and don't want to reveal your :spergin: by making a cardboard cutout or 3D printed version, there you go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Who gives a gently caress about RAM or storage or other stupid poo poo no real people care about? Activating Siri by saying "Hey Siri" while it's plugged in brings me one tiny step closer to functionality that makes me jealous of Moto X owners. I'm looking forward to jailbreak hacker people making that an always on feature.

It'll probably murder your battery life, though. I enabled the "Always listening" feature of Google Now on my M8 and it definitely had an effect on battery life.

Unless the phone has a processor with an extra, low power, core to handle the "listen for the command" feature, it'll have a detrimental effect on the battery. If the A8 had one such core, Apple would have probably enabled "Hey Siri" all of the time and then crowed about it during the announcement.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's another way to look at the camera bump: it really drives home how drat thin the phone really is. You can quote how many 0.x millimeters thinner a phone is compared to its competitors, but put out a phone so thin that it has to shove some bits that would otherwise be internal to the exterior? Goddrat that's a thin motherfucking phone!

It's worth noting that other phones (Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 1020) also have camera humps. In those cases, it was a design failure (Galaxy Nexus, because Samasung didn't bother redesigning their board to fit components better) or because it's a feature or style choice (the Nokia 1020 has a giant :fuckoff: camera and intentionally made it look like a point -n-shoot to drive home how much their phone was also a good camera).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 16, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

beanieson posted:

:siren: cops are on the way cause some loving rear end in a top hat left his baby locked in the car while he's waiting in line :laffo:

So what's it like living in Florida?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

Yesterday night I set a timer for my laundry, then when it went off I picked up the phone and unlocked it without hitting the button on the screen to stop the alarm. It unlocked but the alarm continued and there was no way to turn it off. Luckily it stops sounding automatically after a few minutes.

You can disable it by going into the clock app. Also it might appear under the missed notifications (the last iPhone I owned didn't have the notification center, so).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Doesn't help that Awful is using blow up text.

I switched the text to 90% scaling and its a bit better. Not ideal (and the reply text is still obscenely large) but it's a decent fix for reading in the meantime at least.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kitten smoothie posted:

It happens on the 6, too. Basically just imagine an iPhone 5 size image that's been scaled up to the bigger screen. Things are just a little blurrier, it's still a perfectly cromulent user experience and better than the way they letterboxed older apps on the iPhone 5. It's going to be like when the Retina display first shipped and there was a month or so while everyone got their updates in.

It might be better on the 6, but on the 6 plus most apps feel waaaaay to big, like I've accidentally borrowed my grandparent's phone or something. I'm sure most will be updated soon (I've already gotten an update for one app) but what I'm concerned about are the apps that weren't even updated for the iPhone 5.

I actually went back into my iTunes history to find a few; I grabbed two apps that I knew hadn't been updated and was actually pleasantly surprised. One was Bloom, Brian Eno's ambient music creation app, and the other was Pix'n Love Rush. In both apps, the menus looked absolutely terrible-black bars and fuzzy graphics. But when I actually went into the "playable" aspect of both, I was shocked to find out that they didn't look half bad. Actually, I couldn't really tell that they had been made back in the day of the iPhone 4 (well, besides the black bars). It appears that the iPhone is telling apps that use Open GL "hey, render at this resolution instead!" somehow. Or maybe the smoothing that iOS 8 does works better in motion.

One other thing that I've noticed (as I'm editing this post) is that fixing errors is super difficult because I can't get the dang cursor to go where I want it to. I've found a workaround (select a word near the part you want to edit and then drag the sliders accordingly) but it's more work that necessary. I'm hoping that's a side effect of the scaling.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Technically they could develop different layouts for 6+ versions of the app, but most apps don't seem like that would be viable.

Like the Facebook app for example. There's not much more you can do with it, so on the 6+ it's just gonna look like a goofy giant version of the regular app.

I just installed Paper and it looks great on the 6 Plus. I couldn't actually imagine It on a smaller screen. Maybe the iPhone 5 version showed fewer cards along the bottom?

So yeah, developers are doing things with the bigger screen. It depends on how many people buy the 6 Plus, of course, but I'm optimistic.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Certain apps lend themselves to a larger layout, while others are pretty rigid and stale.

Hopefully the shift to multiple screen sizes causes developers to actually put some thought into being creative with how they display content.

The Twitter and Facebook apps are pretty blah in the grand scheme of things.

Right, I phrased that badly. I meant that Paper seems to be an indication the big app designers are aware that their standard offerings aren't enough and they need to make more responsive and visually pleasing apps.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about? Also, navy blue leather case or bright red silicone case?

Not bad, it doesn't really move on a table unless you press the top bezel (which is something that you should have no reason to do ever).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sleepness posted:

Is "HD" Voice only a thing when calling another person with a HD voice compatible handset? Or will the quality of all my calls be improved regardless of the headset?

Both phones have to have it. My M8 would show an "HD" icon when I was calling my wife on her iPhone 5S, but not my mother in law, who has a iPhone 4. I don't know if the iPhone pops up an icon to show if it's working or not but it should be obvious based on the quality of the voice you hear. It's a marked improvement.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The 6+ is comically large and anyone "lucky" enough to have gotten one already should just sell it for pure profit and get a 6. You won't regret it.

Counterpoint: different people have different phone preferences. My wife thinks I'm nuts for getting the 6 Plus, but when I try to type on her 5S I end up typoing like crazy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

xilni posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade the two free accounts to Google Apps for Work, $5 a month each is cheap compared to the toll it's taking on my soul not having push email anymore.

I'm sure there's an obvious answer but why not use the Gmail app?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?

Heh. Apple may have opened up iOS a bit, but I don't think they'll ever let people replace Siri or Safari as defaults.

I haven't missed Google Now too much (I've been able to more or less replicate the cards functionality with widgets) and to be honest the only thing I used the voice for was asking how famous people died while I was drunk.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that Siri does everything you mentioned anyway. The only other thing I can think of is that you can't search third party music apps with her, but again, I never really used that with Google Now anyway.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

davestones posted:

Regarding family sharing. Does it work 'both ways'? My wife and I both have separate music etc purchases, if I made my phone the master device would I be able to access her previous purchases or would they remain hers and only hers forever?

I can confirm that you will see secondary user's purchases. Unfortunately for me, my wife hadn't purchased anything beyond free apps, so she definitely got the better end of the deal there

[Edit: D'oh, didn't realize that there was another page. Oh well.]

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

And if you want to be super :spergin: you can attach it to cardboard to test the thickness, too. I hear that a piece of beer box folded in half approximated it nicely.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Understood. But I don't want to have to unlock my phone to do actions with Siri.

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

But yeah, I should be able to use my thumbprint in the App Store without needing to keep a passcode on.

That's actually a good security feature, as Siri doesn't distinguish between peoples voices (unlike the always on voice feature of Motorola phones).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero One posted:

On a inventory note, the store was out of all 6 leather cases except the pink one (looks more like gold in person)...

As someone who ordered the light pink case online thinking that it looked more gold than pink, I disagree.

...I'm still using it in the meantime but I feel like I've borrowed my wife's phone.

Actually on a related note can I return the case I bought online at the an Apple Store? Or do I have to send it back?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't think you're allowed to do this until you hold/use the phone.

Yeah, seriously. The camera bump is completely unnoticeable unless you have it set down on a flat surface and press down on the top bezel. Normal screen interactions don't move the phone around at all. Not to mention that if you case your phone you'll never notice it.

Out of all the iPhone 6 complaints, the "camera bump" ones have to be the worst.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

flavor posted:

Good for you if it's the most logical choice for you, but the amount of tribalism from some people here about this is really annoying.

It's too much work now to find the "consensus recommendation" here (which could only be a majority recommendation anyway), but subjectively I'd think the pro-6 comments outnumber the pro-6-plus comments here by about ten to one.

To be fair, the 6 is large enough that it simply doesn't make sense for everyone. But I wanted a giant screened iPhone and I'm glad that apple was able to provide one.

[Edit: gently caress, I meant to say the 6 Plus. The 6 is actually reasonably sized.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 22, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I think they could make the screen bigger on the normal 6 model by keeping the dimensions but shrinking the bezel. I wouldn't mind that.

Super thin phone or small bezels. Pick one.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've got 7 hours of usage and 28% battery left on my 6 Plus (I use my phones as my main internet consumption devices, and I spend far too much time on the Internet). This is the first time a phone has actually matched the battery life times reviewers quoted.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

vty posted:

My iphone 6 doesn't do inertia/momentum scrolling. I was having a miserable time using safari/chrome and didn't know why until I realized I was having to constantly scroll with my thumb. Did they disable this in ios 8 or something? This is my first iPhone so there's a good chance I'm just an idiot.

Oh thank god, I thought I was going crazy. No inertia scrolling on my 6 Plus either.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Inertial scrolling means swipe with a flick and it will continue to scroll, right? There's no difference in Safari or Chrome on my 6 than on my 5.

E: the scrolling isn't as fluid as the Awful app or like Instagram but it's still "bouncy"

I double checked and you're right, inertia scrolling is working, but it's not nearly as fast as I remember it being on my iPhone 4. I'm pretty sure I was able to do a quick fling and get thrown halfway down a page. It's not scrolling very far at all now, and it's worse in the upsampled apps.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RVProfootballer posted:

So what you're saying, is you'd prefer reachability be more like this:

While that image made me throw up in my mouth a little, what he was really asking for was just a larger swipe area (which the iPad apparently has?).

I've compensated for the small swipe area by using my left hand as my main phone interaction hand.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

Have the girlfriend use WhatsApp or whatever for the rear end shots and turn off previews for that. Lose the lovely friend. Problem solved.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just tried going to SA while Safari was in landscape mode and it turns out that it's totally usable on my 6 Plus. It's not really more practical than using the app, but it's a good temporary solution until the iOS 8 version comes out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So in regards to the keyboard not working when the phone is in landscape and your hand is covering he proximity sensor: not only does the keyboard not accept input, nothing does. Seriously. Load up a landscape app, hold the phone as if it were a PSP, and then try to touch something. Won't work. The same does not apply when the phone is in portrait mode.

[Edit: turning the screen on and off fixed it]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

89 posted:

My big draw to the iPhone 6+ is the camera and battery life. Is there really that big of a difference? The camera is the biggest selling point to me. I like the idea of a 5.5" screen, but everybody is so butt hurt about how big it is, it's making me think.

That, and iPhone 6's are way easier to find..

Pulled my 6 Plus off the charger at 9:30AM; a check at the usage stats shows 8:40 of usage (about two hours of that was screen off streaming music through Google Play; the rest was SA, RSS reading, and about an hour of Temple Run). I still have 34% battery left now at 1:23AM.

So yeah, the battery is that good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Excuse me, but please embrace the Android-ification of iOS and post battery usage tables. iOS 8 has given us the ability, nay the responsibility, of such an act.

I know you're probably kidding, but:

It shows that it's charged since the last full charge because I plugged it in just before I took the screenshot.

Also, not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind it Apple added some Android style usage graphs and such to the page. 8.1 maybe?

[Edit because goddamn the 6 Plus' resolution is stupid high]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 25, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The joke is that the HTC One looks like an iPhone. It has the beveled edges of the 5S, while the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have the rounded corners (really inspired by the original iPhone though), aluminum backing (again, OG iPhone) and antenna bars on the back from the HTC One.

Things the HTC One has the iPhone 6 Plus does not: front facing speakers, which I've been missing a little bit. Also stickers used for the logo that come off that are held on by a glue that eventually fails. I do not miss that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It looks like it's designed to press the phone into the hanging canvas, so I assume that they can emulate the pressure of any pair of jeans, from the baggiest Jyncos to the tightest leather assless chaps (do not put your iPhone in the pocket of your tightest leather assless chaps, goons).

[Edit: actually I'm gonna assume that assless chaps probably don't have pockets anyway so I guess my advice is pointless]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

Not from routine use but just "playing with the phone in the Sprint store" the One is probably the phone I like the most after the iphone.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I liked my One, but I made the mistake of watching the Apple keynote livestream and being sucked in to the subliminal messages of the Chinese translators, random cuts back to reporters entering, and

(It was actually the fact that they added intents for sharing between/to apps, landscape mode, and other QOL things that Android had but iOS didn't until iOS 8).

Also I didn't really realize how predatory Android apps are with permissions until I went to iOS and the most random apps started requesting background location permission. I never really thought about that kinda thing while installing Android apps. "Target's app wants to access my location? Oh yeah, store locator, makes sense." I never really considered the ramifications of the fact that, at any point, random retailer app or whatever could just decide to ping my location to see where I was even if I wasn't actively using the store locator function of the app. So that was another reason for the switch, even if it's retroactive.

[Edit: Also the internet has apparently once again decided to hate Apple which means that it's cool for me to like them again :v:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 26, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mAlfunkti0n posted:

UPS finally delivered mine today after some waiting at the Louisville hub. Have to say, this is a fantastic device. I do not feel I am missing a single thing I enjoyed from Android now, and the camera is beyond good.

The only thing I'm missing is push Gmail. Everything else is fantastic.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

noirstronaut posted:

Gmail app, homie

I downloaded it and used it for a bit, but quickly got annoyed by it restarting every time I launched it. When I realized that I could quick archive emails from the Mail notifications (and also search the Mail app with Spotlight) I bit the bullet and reset up the account through Mail. Honestly, getting email every 15 minutes hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would be, and if I'm expecting one I can just open the app and mash refresh until it comes it (which I did with the Gmail app on Android anyway).

Actually, that reminds me: can third party apps add results to Spotlight with iOS 8? I'd love to somehow use Siri to search/play my Google Music library.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm happy with my leather Apple case but I saw this and had to order it. I think the Ebony will compliment my gold 6 Plus quite nicely.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree. If you have certain use cases (for instance, you use your phone as your main internet consumption device, like me) then the 6 Plus is a no brainer, but it is a fringe use case device and not one that everyone should have. I'm glad I got it, I love it, but I would never think that someone who bought a 6 instead would be wrong in doing so.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 27, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the kawaiiest posted:

In the end though I chose not to keep it because it was such a pain in the rear end to take pictures with it -- it was just not possible for me to take pictures with one hand, which is how I do it most of the time since I'm always carrying shopping bags or walking the dog or whatever. It was just too big for that, and I was really bummed. I've heard that the 6 Plus is not quite as wide as the Note 3, though. Are you able to take pictures with it using just one hand? The answer is probably "no" but hope springs eternal. I miss having a stupidly huge screen.

To be honest, I almost always find myself taking photos with two hands, regardless of the size of the phone I'm holding, because I'm used to doing that with my DSLR.

That said, I do have I two methods for taking photos with the 6 Plus one handed. Method one is to hold the phone between my index and pinky fingers (kinda like a claw) with my middle and ring fingers on the back of the phone (my thumb works the shutter button). The other is to hold the phone by the edges and press the volume down key to activate the shutter, which is more secure feeling and a lot easier to do but obviously blocks most of the display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoot posted:

I'm seeing something weird on my iPhone 6.

[/url]

That "CSIS OPS" Apple TV only shows up on my iPhone, and none of my other Apple devices (iPad, MacBook Air). It also comes and goes; it'll stick around for a while, then disappear for a few minutes before coming back. Is there some new way of connecting to Apple TVs in the 6 that I'm not aware of and I'm just picking up someone else's Apple TV, or should I be very :tinfoil: right now? (I'm in Canada, and CSIS is our CIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Security_Intelligence_Service)

It's probably one of your neighbors' Bluetooth devices. Your other devices can't see it because the iPhone 6 has wicked good Bluetooth range. My phone will connect to my car even if it's sitting in the house, which has actually resulted in my forgetting my phone at home once already.