Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never seen a gold iPhone in person before but it's the only one in stock still right now. Was there anyone else that was hesitant about the gold phone and ended up loving it? I've never seen one in person before and I don't have time to go see one at a store. I know this is all gonna depend on my own tastes but still.

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I used to buy the black ones because I thought the white bezel would ruin the screen for the same reason why we don't see TVs with white bezels. But then I traded in my black phone for a white one when I got it repaired and I actually like and prefer the white bezels now. Would rock if I could get a white bezel and black back but I can't.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quote:

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

kitten smoothie posted:

No, it had to have been sold as a Verizon phone to work on Verizon. A Verizon model is 100% unlocked, so it will work on T-Mobile (albeit only HSPA+ for the 5), but not vice-versa.

Sorry I forgot to clarify that my A1428 iPhone is also fully unlocked (bought it this way). Now does it work with Verizon?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does the Verizon iPhone 6 work on T-Mobile and other GSM services?

Can I walk into an Apple Store and buy a Verizon iPhone at full price without making a contract or opening a line? Assuming they have it in stock (which they do, though all the T-Mobile phones are out of stock here).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What the gently caress happened to my built in weather widget from the pull down thing in iOS 8? I would seriously downgrade back to iOS 7 if iOS 8 removed this feature.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 21, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to reset all app notification permissions?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I experienced the most annoying bug two mornings in a row now. I'd wake up normal to my alarm, but I've been feeling sick so the last two mornings I opened up my default timer app and put in a 30 minute timer. Fall back asleep and wake up to the timer. Next step I'm not sure what happens but I somehow end up dismissing the notification on the lock screen but the timer is still ringing. I open up the timer app and there is no current timer set. There is no way to turn off the ringing unles I reboot the phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I turn on the send/read a SMS on my Mac thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Are there still bad Lightning cables? I bought a $10 cable with a car charger from the gas station a few months ago and it's still running strong and I haven't engulfed in flames yet.

If the cables are officially certified like the Amazon and MonoPrice ones then they're good, but uncertified cables can explode and burn your house down yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought the new iOS versions made it so advertisements couldn't just open up the App Store anymore and switch you over to it, but this still happens and it's annoying as gently caress.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

For what it's worth the wlan on my iPhone has been poo poo too, though my computers are unaffected.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah that battery's bound to be shot by now. Honestly, battery replacement on the 4/4S series wasn't too bad at all. You should be able to get a kit from iFixit for like $20 if you just want to keep it limping along for a few more months.

Are the battery kits on ifixit pretty good? I need to replace my battery on my 5 cause it goes from 100 to 0 in like 3 hours of use so yeah. I was planning on just upgrading to a 6S but apparently it's only $30 for a battery and tools which seeks pretty cheap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Not all. Pre entering your info and the time it takes to enter your info is like 5 seconds max. It's just number, billing zip, last four of social.

How do I pre enter stuff cause the app just tells me it's closed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Well that was easy. Missed the timer I set to wake me up but now it's 6am eastern and I've got a phone coming in on the 25th.

5 to a 6s should be nice

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm so exited for the content blocker. Like one of the major selling points for me for upgrading from the 5 to 6s is that the content blocker is apparently not gonna be available for the 5. Websites are so god drat slow that i usually run with JavaScript turned off just to have it manageable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

That... doesn't make sense to me. Why is that limited by device?

Also, isn't the content blocker just part of the sdk now that third party companies will have to use in their own extensions? Like you're not going to get iOS9 and open safari and be in pure bliss, you're going to have to wait until someone makes an ad-blocking extension that you can use (which will be available probably on day 1).

Or have I been misunderstanding this because there seems to be a lot of conflicting articles out there.

http://www.imore.com/here-are-all-iphones-and-ipads-compatible-ios-9-content-blockers

It's only 5s and above, requires a 64 bit cpu.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a used 5s locally for a decent price ($250). Not at all familiar with iOS devices, so after throwing my SIM in and making sure it provisioned, I went on my merry way. Get home, and after about 60 seconds of use I discovered that it had a (very poorly done) screen replacement at some point in its life, complete with non-functioning Touch ID and sticky home button. I was pretty pissed, but I could deal with it...except the proximity sensor is totally, utterly borked, making it useless as a phone.

I popped it open to take a look, but I'm far from an expert at phone repairs, and unless it is something simple I'm just going to accept the consequences of my stupidity and take my losses. Is there any place that will buy back something like this? It looks like Gazelle will give me $55 for it. I thought I heard something about Apple doing out of warranty repairs for like $250 though? In that case, I might be tempted to keep it to use as a backup.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

A 5s? Have you heard of a little country called north korea? It'll be a lot like living there.

Literally like North Korea.

EL BROMANCE posted:

No chance of taking it back to the guy you got it from? That's dodgy as hell.

What world do you live in where you think you can return things bought from strangers on Craigslist?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I replaced the battery on my iPhone 5 with the kit at ifixit and it was relatively painless. The only difficult part was removing the battery cause it was glued in pretty tight. The guide says to pry it out from the right side so that the plastic tool is leveraged against the logic board and other components but it was much easier to pry from the left side using the case as leverage.

So this is a new thing that started happening recently. Safari now shows boxes/icons when I open a new tab showing recently visited places. I've never seen this before and I haven't updated at all. How do I get rid of them? I can hold and delete but I just don't want them showing up period.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does Apple require a real life person to accept the iPhone package? Or can I leave a note or something? My plans changed and I might not be home on Friday anymore to wait around. I do live in a secure building though and have had Fedex/UPS leave hundreds of dollars worth of purchases inside the locked building so I wouldn't really be worried about theft so much.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I remember The Verge running an article crying about how bad mobile browsing was .... blaming the browser devs.

It was the most ignorant "news" article I've ever suffered through. The fact alone that the verge runs over 20 different trackers means they should be run over by a truck for EVER complaining about how bad browsing is. I have zero and I mean ZERO tears for these idiots.

There are a few sites I will allow ads to run on that I read frequently, but they are not trying to suck the life out of my browser and my data either.

I remember that article and how hilariously out of touch it was. Literally blaming browsers for why websites are so slow as they cram 20 MB websites down your throat with JavaScript calling 39 different external websites for "metrics."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

Ugh. I didn’t even want Peace but something about that post of Marco’s feels wrong in a way that his posts yesterday didn’t evoke. I’m not against any of his stated sentiments, so maybe it’s just residual over his lack of want to make the overcast webplayer any better.

Yeah, this feels like it. He knows his lack of followthrough after shipping and were he having these moral qualms he should’ve had them before releasing the product. From the outside watching the discussion unfold, it appears Gruber was an influence in his change of heart and those two communicate enough to have had this conversation before affecting others.

Him and Gruber both use the same advertisement network and from what I hear and see they're actually one of the "good" ones that vet their banners and all that poo poo. Gruber tweeted about how blocking their network was morally indefensible or something and I guess got to him. Meh, I was really excited to use Peace next week cause ghostery is amazing but oh well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

When can we start posting shipping notifications?

I'm waiting for the posts showing pictures of the screen about how it's just ~too yellow~ (followed by tech support chat logs and then shipping notifications).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Apparently the Pope is causing iPhone shipping delays this weekend in the New York area :lol:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What the hell is Paper?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a more generic authorization form for UPS to leave my package where they usually leave them than the one in the email link? As in one that looks less Apple-y/"THIS IS DEFINITELY AN IPHONE" for all my neighbors to see? I mean I'm 99% sure it'll be fine but you never know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Went from a 5 to 6S so Touch ID is loving awesome. I use 1Password so my iCloud/Apple password is just a string of random characters so I always hated having been asking to enter my password again cause I'd have to open 1P and copy and paste.

Speaking of which maybe I'm slow but holy poo poo I never knew about the 1P extension (or extensions in general I guess). This is blowing my mind.

The size and keyboard are gonna take some getting use to. It's just not really comfortable holding it with one hand like I did the 5, and typing one handed is extra hard.

Not a fan of this new app switching AT ALL. It's like the lovely cover view in iTunes that Steve kept showing off like its so cool but no it's loving awful.

Whoa it's also not correcting loving to ducking. Not sure if that's an iOS 8 to iOS 9 thing but it's kinda neat.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I turn off the "Nearby" and "News" thing on the screen that I get to by swiping left on the home screen?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GenericGirlName posted:

Settings > General > Spotlight Search and tap the toggle switch to turn off Siri Suggestions to remove all of it. Otherwise toggling "Spotlight Suggestions" will remove News. Nothing will remove Nearby though? Even when you don't have location on lol

That kinds works. Got rid of news but I like that it shows suggested friends and recent apps. But I don't want the nearby stuff cause it's useless to me.

Edit: "Bing Web Results" :lol:

Edit2: I found out that turning off Maps will remove the Nearby stuff!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 25, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm surprised that the DND mode hasn't been updated to be more fine tuned. Like during the week I don't wanna be bothered from 11pm to 6am but on the weekend I'd like to have more like 2am to 9am or something like that. I remember the last time I used the scheduled DND mode I kept missing calls and texts from people asking me where I was sitting at the bar or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Easiest way to find out is in the note app. It lets you peek? into notes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bad part about how fast Touch ID works is that I'll often press the home button to light up the screen to see notifications and it unlocks before I can read it :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This default calendar app is kinda awful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I had a 16 GB phone up until now where I upgraded to 64 GB. I guess my usage pattern was similar to yours. I don't really own any music cause literally everything can just be screamed on YouTube. The only game I played was hearthstone. I didn't make videos tho I did make a ton of random photos and poo poo. 16 GB was "ok" and it "worked" but before I upgraded to my 6S I was constantly fighting with storage space.

Just go for the 64 and never worry about storage space. It's only $100 more and you have until the end of the year to make up that difference. Who knows if your usage pattern is gonna stay the same when you've got a newer super fast phone that opens up a camera instantly, or you do start downloading music or random movies and shows to watch while you're bored. Or you find a really cool game. Etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jeherrin posted:

Well, in four years I've shot undoubtedly less than five minutes of video on a phone, so I don't think this'll be an issue.

E:

What's taking up the space, then?

For what it's worth your 16GB advertised size is gonna be approximately 14.9 (and most likely less) due to the difference in base 2 and base 10 numbers. My 6s shows that iOS takes up about 4GB and then my modest set of apps takes up another 8.5GB. It's a new phone so I have no pictures, videos, or music on this phone yet. And I'm pretty obsessive about deleting apps that I don't use too. Your 16GB iPhone is gonna end up having like 2GB left from just a basic install plus a few apps.

So yeah I mean if this doesn't matter to you enough to be worth $100 then I dunno.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just haven't used 3D Touch outside of the 5 minute novelty factor. I've tried it in emails and stuff but I just don't see it use for for my workflow.

Is anyone else's headphone port really finicky? I just plugged in the brand new earbuds (never plugged any other headphones into it) and the music cuts in and out from the smallest taps against the plug. 6s sorry.

E: I've been getting a ton of blank pages loading up in Safari since yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 30, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do you think that maybe having a new iPhone with a modern processor and an App Store of a billion apps might change your usage habits? Like if you're absolutely positively 100% "I can see the future" sure that you're going to download those 10 apps and throw that App Store button into a Useless 💩 folder (next to the "Stocks" and "Tips" apps) for the rest of time then I guess 16GB will work for you.

Edit: Just giving you some numbers so you can get a better idea since I'm waiting for my computer to unfreeze itself at work.

Facebook is taking 213 MB. Official Twitter client is 203 MB. Facebook Messenger 137, WhatsApp 117, Snapchat is 99 and so on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 30, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

robodex posted:

Yeah I very much regret buying a 16gb phone, but in my defense I never had any sort of issue on my 4S with available space, even on iOS 7. Something in the year span between when I was on Android and when I switched back to iOS must have flipped some sort of switch for developers that said "hey, let's eat up literally every single byte of space with cache"

Well there was the jump from 640x960 to 640x1113 to now 750x1334 resolution so your assets get larger. And then the jump from 32bit to 64bit also roughly doubles the size of apps.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone else with a 6s have a really finicky headphone jack? I've tried the brand name earbuds in the phone and in my computer now and the slightest touches against the cable base cuts out my music on my phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Anti Plum posted:

I've got the shity headphone jack and a dead pixel. Hopefully its a painless experience, I've never done it.

It should be relatively painless. Just back uo your phone before going and schedule an appointment online. Last time I did this they just outright swapped it with another phone.

Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. It's just a hassle driving to the Apple Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there no way to turn off the weather part of "Today's Summary"?