Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tamizander Rey posted:

IS there a good site that has nice high def iPhone 6 wallpapers?
I'm hating how blurry mine look now.

I really like that default one and then the snow one packed in iOS 8, but here's a set. https://imgur.com/a/Tpx08 I don't like any of them, honestly, but maybe you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mattfl posted:

Best buy has a bunch. Well, if they aren't picked through they will. I picked up a cheap insignia plain black case until I can find something better on Amazon.

Do you know fi they carried the official ones? I'm reading online that the official is still listed for "pre-order" but I don't know if that means they just want to reserve their supply for people actually going to the store.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's the reason why I would turn on voice over LTE?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the 6 plus yesterday and I really liked it. The only thing keeping me from getting it is that I like to exercise with my phone and it will look pretty dumb in an arm band.

To be fair, anyone with an iPhone in an armband looks kinda dumb.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Someone who has never set foot inside of a gym recently spotted.

Everyone wearing an armband looks like they accidentally ripped off the sleeve from a heart rate monitor in CVS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has there been any murmuring about the iPhone 6 Plus landscape mode being a simple .plist edit or not? It's one of those "I'll only jailbreak for this feature" things.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
BREAKING NEWS: The iPhone 6 with the silicone cover does not fit in the Elevation Dock.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
BREAKING NEWS: The iPhone 6 with the leather cover does fit in the Elevation Dock.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can unlock an iPhone for $50

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

AOTKPTW posted:

Just phoned my local store on my lunch break.

Incase anyones interested I was told that online orders cannot be exchanged/returned in store (only accessories can). The chap I spoke to mentioned that this policy is changing in the near future though. This is for the UK FYI.

For the record, this isn't the case for the US.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress happened to my built in weather widget from the pull down thing in iOS 8? I would seriously downgrade back to iOS 7 if iOS 8 removed this feature.

Go to Location Services and turn on Weather

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The random email is probably the owner of the music she pirated.

As for everything else, I do not know.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
First off, iOS 8 is the most buggy iOS release in recent memory. I don't remember any iOS version being littered with so many game-stopping bugs.

Anyway, are any of you using docks? The fit in the Elevation Dock is too snug and I can see it clearly introducing wear over a few days of usage.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What sort of "game-stopping" bugs are you talking about?

I used iOS8 throughout the entire beta and never experience any annoying bugs.

Really? No bugs for the entire beta? From the beta alone, I could name five off the top of my head.

However, on iOS 8, I've experienced the Music.app not working at all, keyboards being poorly optimized or utilized at all, Spotlight deciding it wants to take a day off, Phone.app crashing when answering a call, Safari deciding to have a day off as well to pair up with Spotlight probably, AirDrop simply not working, and the overall default keyboard freezing within apps not optimized for the iPhone 6.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, look. I completely under estimated the size of the 6. At least, at the very least, go check one out before being all willy nilly about your gadgetry.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Killer Queen posted:

Really? iOS 8 feels rock solid on my iPad Air and 4S. The new keyboard and word prediction are excellent. Safari feels more stable. Location sharing is really nifty. The whole experience is as reliable as iOS 7.1.2 or better. It's nothing like the original iOS 7 release where it randomly rebooted or Safari crashed every 20 minutes. It was literally Apple's least stable mobile OS to date... and iOS 8 feels like a major improvement for an initial launch. About the only bug I ever run into is notifications wigging out, but it's rare and barely noticeable. My iPad Air feels quicker and more optimized on iOS 8 too. I'm awaiting my iPhone 6 even more now post-iOS 8, since my 4S is a little long in the tooth.

I literally have not gone a single day without someone from my everyone-thinks-I'm-their-personal-IT-support circle asking why thing x is not working on iOS 8 or why thing y is doing thing z etc etc. On top of that, I run into bugs on my 6 almost daily.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm loving it so far. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the camera is aces. It's perfect for watching videos on. I have largeish hands so I can use it one handed pretty well. Don't have a case yet though, so that may change my perception a bit.

I've been getting lots of comments in public, and my friends' first reactions have all been "holy poo poo that's huge" essentially.

Only real complaint is the amount of apps that still haven't updated for the larger screen. They look like my dad's phone with the font size set to the max.

Just a small FYI, but a *lot* of apps are being updated today.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We really need 8.0.1.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Killer Queen posted:

I'm glad there's a toggle for Reachability because it's terrrrrrrible. Whoever decided binding it to almost the same double tap motion as the multitasking screen should be shot on sight. It should have been some type of pinch gesture. I was accidentally enabling it every 15 minutes before I switched it off for good. What a laughable concept with the cheapest execution.

It'd be pretty funny to make a feature that is meant for people who are trying to use one hand use two hands to activate.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RVProfootballer posted:

So what you're saying, is you'd prefer reachability be more like this:

This is more or less what I would like if I ever used Reachability for anything.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Maybe a finely crafted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 would be more up your alley, then.

Ah, perfect. I'll sell my iPhone to get an Android phone because it incorporates a feature I never use better than iOS does. Perfect.

Anyway, how would someone go about removing service from a Verizon phone if they want to sell it? With AT&T, you just remove the SIM.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm sorry I would hypothetically use this feature differently than you guys.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lblitzer posted:

Take out the SIM card if it's a 4G LTE phone. If not, I believe you just have to activate another phone on the same line to deactivate the other.

This would be the case for a 5, yeah? I'm asking because I had a loaner 4S from a friend and even after taking out the SIM, it still showed Verizon in the status bar and had service (didn't test calling, took out the SIM so I couldn't connect to data).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Quadra tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

"What is the word I'm looking for? Quadrant? That can't be it. Quadra! Hmm, that can't be right either – whatever."

Quadruple

kitten smoothie posted:

For a 5 or newer, yes. For a 4S you need to deal with the carrier an have them to move the phone line to a different device.

The SIM in a CDMA 4S is just for international GSM roaming, and doesn't mean anything at all when you're in the US.

Even if the service has been taken off on the carrier end, the phone may well still show Verizon and signal bars in the status bar. But if you try making a call, you should get a recording saying that phone doesn't have service on it.

Perfect. Thanks!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like a lanyard phone thing is just a really easy target in 99% of situations and very awkward in the other 1%.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Would Apple replace it or claim that it's your fault and ask you to pay a fee?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Isn't that the point of a thinner phone in the first place?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

webmeister posted:

I assume he means a target for theft. The lanyard makes it super visible and (probably) quite easy to take.

Yeah, this is what I meant. You could easily just snatch it off someone's neck and they wouldn't even register what the hell just happened until a few moments later. If you wanted to be a real sleuthy thief, you could get a sleuth thief friend to cut it the moment you're going up for it and now you have a new lanyard and a new phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

This a titty

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The funny thing is this will have 0 impact on Apples' bottom line.

;)

I hope 8.0.2 comes out today because these 8.0 bugs are crazy and annoying in more than 10 ways. Like, at least 11 ways these shits suck.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
*mentions phone bending*

"OMFG YOU IDIOT STOP COMPLAINING [SARCASTIC COMMENT ABOUT APPLE BEING DOOMED]"

ninja edit: This can be attached to anything ranging from: how wide you think the phone is, the lack of iPhone 6 supported apps, how you would make features behave differently, 8.0.2, and the list goes on! Call now to find out more. 1-800-drat

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The HiFi sounds great if you still live in 2006.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

AlternateAccount posted:

So how are all the cool kids selling their old iPhones now? Gazelle and Amazon seem to lowball like crazy and eBay's fees are horrible. Is SA-Mart the best way to play?

I sold my unlocked 16GB 5S on SA-Mart for $400. Would recommend. A++++

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bottom Liner posted:

These are my legs. Hulk feels no pain.

Wow, do you eat at McDonalds recreationally, fatty

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's probably more than 9.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The funny thing about that pic is that his thumb doesn't even look remotely large enough to scale the phone lol

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
8.0.2 is out. Checking for Update is spinning forever then errors out. updategate is real.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm almost done updating. Remember me for who I was, not for who I've become.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Works.

Still has the bug where Spotlight can't find apps occasionally though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Well, none of the bugs I had on 8.0 seem fixed at all. Spotlight still breaks occasionally. WiFi disconnects and can't reconnect until rebooting. Oh, you had cellular settings? Haha, gently caress those.