Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone know if apple stores will have demo units out before the release day? I'm 90% sure I want a 6 (rather than a 5s or a 6Plus), but I'd like to hold the unit in my hand before placing an order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

:argh: AAPPPPPLLLEEEEE

Ok, how about this one:

Has there been any more info announced about the HomeKit integration in iOS 8? Specifically, I'm wondering if the HomeKit API means that people can write apps that Siri will be able to understand. I haven't really delved into the world of home automation yet, but I'd like to. And I've been dicking around with the "Hey Siri" functionality in iOS8, and it's pretty cool. If the two of those could work seamlessly together, man, the future is now

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

It's this part that slightly confuses me. I've seen a couple articles out there about the large number of stores that have pledged to support apple pay and also about some that have declined to support it (best buy and Walmart, I think).

What does it mean that they've said they wouldn't support it? Does a company have to opt in to support Apple pay? I thought the whole thing was that I can use it anywhere that accepts credit cards and has a working nfc reader, and that there's soon going to be a lot more of those due to the government mandated changeover to chip&pin in 2015.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 13, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

DarkJC posted:

I'm assuming it means that Walmart won't be installing the supported readers.

So when they say they're not supporting Apple pay, what they really mean is they aren't supporting any form of NFC payment then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS8, I've had sporadic to nonexistent LTE service. That's not to say i don't have data. I just went from having LTE everywhere to having 3G everywhere. This is on a Verizon iPhone 5 in NYC. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Could someone remind me what special procedures need to be done to completely wipe my phone? I was planning on going into settings and using the "Erase all content and settings" button along with the "reset all settings button", but isn't there some stuff I need to unlink with iCloud and iMessage too?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Laserface posted:

Awful app crashes immediately.

Canceled my preorder. :colbert:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone got calling from iPad using iPhone working? I know it's technically not supposed to work on iPad 3, but after installing iOS8 on both devices, I started magically getting iMessages on my iPad. Plus, the option to make a call is still there, and it tries to make the call before giving a "call failed" error. It's pretty un-Apple for the option to do it to still show up if the device can't do it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does VoLTE use your data for the voice call?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hope when passbook is updated, there's an option to add cards that are not payment cards, or even swipeable cards, but just "information" cards. I'd like to add my two health insurance cards and my AAA card to passbook.

Granted, I could just take pictures of the cards and keep them in the photo library on my phone now, but where's the fun in that?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Axim posted:

Get the AAA app, it lets you add a digital version of your AAA card to passbook, and has for over a year.

Do I have to keep the app installed to keep the pass in passbook? I have no need for a AAA app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So when do those websites go up that tell you how much stock of each version they have at each Apple Store?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Meh, I'll bet either when the next refresh comes around, or the one after that, they'll have the iPhone 7, the iPhone 7 Plus, and the iPhone 7 Mini, which is the same size as the 5s.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So I just switched on LTE for Voice and Data. Does that mean every call I make uses my data now? Or just that I use double-data if I try to use the internet while on a call?

EDIT: On Verizon, if it matters.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Third party keyboards are MUCH faster and also they properly push up the conversation in iMessage now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Better than your transaction history working wrong. I haven't used apple pay yet, but I added my Amex card and it showed my recent transactions. It shows a $99 charge at the gas station yesterday, when I only spent about $40.

I freaked out and checked Amex's website, and it shows the proper $40 charge. I'm assuming the gas station just puts a $99 credit check/hold on the account when you swipe, and the website is smart enough to show the actual charge, while the passbook app is not.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How is apple pay supposed to work at restaurants, where typically they take your card, go in the back to swipe it, and then you add the tip on the receipt?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad technically capable of talking to each other? Wondering if iOS9 could potentially open up the possibility for anyone who uses ApplePay to not only spend money with it, but also receive money from other people using ApplePay. With Apple taking a cut of every transaction, of course.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are all of the new multitasking goodies strictly iPad-only? I get that split screen or slide over wouldn't be great on an iPhone sized screen, but the PiP video could still work and would be great.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are there any cases for iPhone 6 out there that are similar to the official Apple leather case, but with just a bit more room between the case and the back of the phone to be able to store a card or two in there? I've seen plenty of cases with a slot on the back of the case to store cards, but those are ugly and I hate them, plus I don't really need easy access to the card(s) I'm storing.

My reason for needing this is that i would like to be able to store my access card for work on my phone. Assuming I find a case that I like, would keeping my (presumably RFID) access card in there screw up my ability to use ApplePay?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

How thicken is the access card? I have a cheap silicone case on my phone that I will occasionally keep a thin card or cloak room ticket inside. There's no pocket, but anything super thin will fit in behind the phone.

I already tried with my leather case - the card is just thick enough to make the case not fit right. You're right that a silicone case would probably work, but I've grown accustomed to my Apple leather case and ideally would like to find something similar. I've looked on Amazon, and I've found a number of cases that pretty much do what I want, I just need to be willing to switch from the leather case to *shudder* plastic or silicone.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I cracked up my 6's screen and don't have AppleCare, that means I'm stuck paying the out of warranty service fee of $299, right? I'm looking on apple's website, and it's worded confusingly but I think that's what it says.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

cowofwar posted:

Apparently the 7 will not be much of an update which is good because my 6 is still fine. I'll upgrade to the 7S I next year.

I'd feel the same way, except for that the battery on my 6 is shot to all hell.

I'll probably just bite the bullet and switch to Apple's upgrade program, and commit to paying Apple money every month for the rest of my life. But hey, new phone every year!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Shillary posted:

No, if you sign on for a new 24 month term,and return the device, Apple forgives the second 12 months of the first term.

So essentially if you're planning on trading in the phone to Apple ASAP, it doesn't make sense to pay more than the minimum required payments. If you're planning on buying it straight-out when you upgrade to the new phone (so you can sell the old one independently), then sure, go ahead and pay more than the minimum requirement if you want. You're going to be paying full price at one point or another anyway.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is all the new iMessages stuff limited to the 6S and higher?

I'm trying to use invisible ink and add fireworks and poo poo to my messages and it aint working.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Are you trying to send them to someone that hasn't updated?

Nope, sitting here with a friend who has updated and not even getting the prompt. We can do stickers and the drawing little pictures thing, but no fireworks or full screen effects.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I figured out what the issue was - if you have "reduce motion" turned on, it turns off bubble effects and full screen effects. Which sucks, because i hate the ios animations, but I want to use the cool new bubble effects and full screen effects.

I guess either they'll change it in an update, or i'll use these new effects for a couple days, get sick of them, and then turn "reduce motion" back on.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thinking about getting the Jet Black phone, despite worries about :cry:SCRATCHES :cry:

At this point, my only concern is if a "normal" amount of scuffs/scratches is enough to make Apple/Verizon/whoever not accept the phone for it's full trade-in value next year. I can live with them as long as they aren't loving with my resale value.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
-edit: moved to other thread.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Setting up my new phone (Jet Black Supremacy y'all :smug: ) from an iCloud backup, and it seems like everything has come across except for all of my ApplePay credit cards. Do I need to add them all again? Is this some intentional security issue, or did something go wrong?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Count me on the list of those having horrible bluetooth issues with the 7. I don't know if it's iOS10 or my iPhone 7 or both, but Bluetooth connectivity has been horrible with my Jabra BT headphones, and I used these headphones for about a year with my iPhone 6 flawlessly.

Generally speaking, once I can get it properly connected, the playback is fine, but getting it to properly connect is a nightmare that involves turning the headphones on and off and toggling the BT on the phone on and off multiple times until it connects.

And then even when it does connect (ie I hear "connected" in the headphones and see the lit up BT logo on the phone), my device still won't show up in the list of output devices.

AND even if it does show up in my list of output devices, sometimes when I press PLAY in the music app, music starts blaring out of the phone itself, which is pretty annoying on a crowded subway at 8 AM when everyone is bleary-eyed and cranky.

I'm gonna wait a month or so to see if an iOS update comes out that fixes it, otherwise I'll head into the hellmouth that is the Genius Bar. I'm just hesitant to do that because it's not a reliably reproducible issue, though it does happen often enough to be extremely annoying, especially on a phone where Bluetooth is supposed to be the MAIN way to listen to poo poo.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 18, 2016

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Khablam posted:

Have you tried walking a long way from any potential interference, and trying there?

Unfortunately BT is hot garbage as it uses the 2.4Ghz spectrum, which just about everything else does. With lower base range than WiFi just about anything can knock it off.

This happens everywhere - on the subway, in my house, on the sidewalk, etc. And I have the same usage patterns that I had a month ago when I was using my iPhone 6 with no problems.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
For no particular reason, my two biggest pet peeves/wishes for iOS right now:

1) The ability to turn wifi automatically back on after X amount of minutes. Often when I go outside to walk my dog I turn wifi off because the phone clings to wifi just enough to stay connected but not enough to actually transfer any data. So I switch to LTE, but then I forget to switch my wifi back on and end up blowing through a ton of data for the rest of the day. A "turn wifi off for 15 minutes" option would fix this. Alternatively, just make it so it doesn't stay connected to a wifi network if it can't do anything with it.

2) Throughout the day, I tend to text a lot of interesting links and poo poo I find to my wife. This entails hitting the little square/arrow "export" button in safari, tapping the messages app, and then typing her name in. It would be nice to be able to set shortcuts on that "export" menu for "Message to [ContactNameHere]" to streamline this process.

Ok since I posted these on the forums I'll expect apple to address them POST HASTE

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

That's what wifi assist (at the very bottom of settings->cellular) is supposed to help with do but everyone turned it off instantly because it has a bad habit of blowing through your cell data.

They really need to indicate with an icon in the top left corner when it's using cellular data because the wifi is lovely.

I never turned it off, and apparently have blown through 35MB of data with it.

I think even with it on, I still get connection hiccups when the phone is handing off from wifi to LTE.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
iOS 10 question: When I get a text message, I can force press on the lock screen to bring up the message and reply. If the message contains a link, I can see the little "tap to show link preview" button, but when I tap it, it asks for my passkey or TouchID to unlock the phone and open the Messages app.

Is there any way to change a privacy setting or something to allow me to see those iMessage link previews in the lock screen iMessage bubble?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I put ios11 gm on my 7 and I’m liking it so far :3:

Can’t wait to put it on my iPad 10.5.

Can anyone install it now or do you need a dev account?

I ask because I've downloaded it twice but every time I try to install I get error 4000. :(

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hate to interrupt the slap fight, but I installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 on Tuesday and my battery life suuuucks now. Also half the time when I pick up the phone it’s red hot. Hopefully there’s an 11.1 or something update coming not long after the official release.

Also, after restoring my phone from backup, all my ringtones are gone and there doesn’t seem to be a spot for them in iTunes anymore either :(

EDIT: Is there any way to see what my Bluetooth is connected to at the moment? I’m out and the Bluetooth icon is lit up (as opposed to grayed out) like it’s connected to something. But when I go to Settings>Bluetooth, it just lists my headphones and car and neither of them are connected. Bug?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 15, 2017

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

The first bit typically happens the first few days of any major OS update for reindexing or some bullshit.

The second part is maybe solved here? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8064597?start=0&tstart=0

I hope you’re right on the first part. And thanks for the link, I was able to get my ringtones back!

And now, for my next annoyance, the phone needs to stop recommending that I turn on Driving Mode when I’m on the drat subway. IM NOT DRIVING APPLE

(I’m sure there’s a way to turn this off I just haven’t bothered to look for it yet)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
iOS 11 and Apple still can’t get the lock screen while playing music right.

iOS 10 had nice large cover art...but relegated the clock to tiny font in the status bar. Horrible for when I’m playing music and just want to pull my phone out and glance at the time real quick.

iOS 11 fixes this by having the clock in nice large font on the lock screen while playing music, as it should be. But now the album art is relegated to a tiny square next to the title of the song and above the playback controls.

It’s still an improvement, but is it too much to ask to have playback controls, a large readable clock, AND large clear album art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there any way to turn off the "iPhone is disabled for 1/5/15/etc minutes" that happens when you enter your passcode wrong too many times in a row? I find myself in a prank war with some co-workers wherein if you ever leave your phone unattended at your desk, you can be sure to come back to find it disabled. The most I've ever gotten anyone for was 5 minutes, but one of them got me for 15 the other day. I don't know what comes after 15, and frankly I don't care to find out.