Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

On the iPhone 5 launch day I was able to hit up an ATT store in Manhattan a few hours before opening and snagged one no problem. There were about 10 people ahead of me in line and way more people behind me. Now I live in a more remote area of NYC so stock will undoubtedly be lower but there will be less people in line so I think I'll be good heading over Thursday night/Friday morning. By comparison, and this is years ago I'm talking, I snagged a Nintendo Wii on day one being only the second one in line at a local Kmart (I know I know) about 30 minutes before the store opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I had a 4 and 5 at 16gb each time. Yeah I had to play clean up here and there over the last four years but it was manageable. If they had the same configurations/prices this year I would have probably gone 16gb again.

Now that $100 is getting me 4x storage instead of 2x I will pay it this time. If the base model was 32gb I wouldn't have shelled out for more. That's exactly why Apple went with this model, to get the baseline buyers to figure "might as well" on the next tier device. It's kinda lovely yeah but they're a for profit company whatever I get it. It's just comical that they spout a lot of poo poo about doing everything better for the customer when it's just obviously not the case.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I wonder how many Genius appointments were booked just to get this off of people's phones.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Chrome > Safari

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Who gives a gently caress about RAM or storage or other stupid poo poo no real people care about? Activating Siri by saying "Hey Siri" while it's plugged in brings me one tiny step closer to functionality that makes me jealous of Moto X owners. I'm looking forward to jailbreak hacker people making that an always on feature.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Apple has never not made a thinner phone with a redesign, why would anyone expect them to this time?

If you can squeeze just about a day's worth of use out of your phone then they're not going to worry about battery life.

Personally I can't go 6 loving hours without my iPhone 5 going from full to dead, even after I had my battery replaced but hey I'm always on it and constantly going in and out of service on the subway.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Not putting a case on my phone. Never have, never will. It's honestly for paranoid butterfingers type people. Neither my 4 nor 5 were bastardized with a case and they both survived countless drunken nights out as well as the occasionally drop on the floor/ground. Neither phone suffered any screen damage and only minor body imperfections.

That said, I don't care about the wobble. I'm not using my iPhone to support anything I need level so who gives a poo poo?

I worry if the camera lens will get scratched against surfaces it's laying on, though. If Apple is continuing to use "sapphire" or whatever durable material for the lens then we should be good, right?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I had the GM for about a week then had to revert when I brought my phone to an Apple Store yesterday and they basically did jack poo poo for me (tried to have my sleep/wake button repaired since my phone's serial is eligible under some warranty or recall thing but since there's a dent on the bottom of my phone they said they couldn't fix it and sent me on my way - kinda bullshit)

Anyway, I could go back to that GM instead of waiting for this update to download on iTunes but I noticed a number of bugs with the GM (apps force quitting, no Instagram notifications, etc). If those bugs are present in the official release anyway then at least I'll have peace of mind that it isn't the GM. Whatever.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^Confirmed. I tried updating OTA and didn't have enough free space so I did it through iTunes with no hassle.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Dr. Remulak posted:

You can remove that bar completely by holding down the globe key and unchecking "Predictive". I believe it can also be accessed under Keyboard Settings

Thanks for this. Predictive text means jack poo poo to me considering how fast I type already. There's no time to stop and hunt for what next word my phone thinks I want to type when I'm already thinking and typing way faster than that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Dave posted:

Yeah I got my 6 case yesterday and I'm a little hesitant about how big this is going to be with one hand. Hopefully I'm not prone to dropping the phone trying to balance it with one hand.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 6 leather case arrived today. It feels a bit big compared to a 5/5S but I imagine I'll get used to it. Definitely couldn't imagine using a bigger phone one-handed though.

The wake/lock button move was a great decision.

I've been stewing over which screen size would be the better choice when heading to the ATT store early tomorrow morning. These two responses kind of seal the deal that the 6 is a better choice than the 6 plus.

Can either of you link to which cases you went with to get an idea of how much added bulk it might add?

I'm thinking that the 6 Plus will be the perfect media consumption device for web browsing and watching random videos here and there. I do a lot of that, but I also want a phone that's comfortable to wield in my day-to-day, fit in my pocket, and not look ridiculous holding up in the air to take photos/videos.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

empty baggie posted:

The Plus may not be a choice for you if you're planning on getting one tomorrow in an ATT store. I work for an ATT reseller, and we received one 6+ for tomorrows launch. The official ATT store in town and the one a town over claims they aren't receiving any.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to a location that is in a fairly remote part of town, but still right on the border of nyc. I'm hoping stock is at least substantial enough to have the grey 6 in 64gb.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Using Moments to browse photos on my device wouldn't be such a problem if the order of the photos wasn't inconsistent.

Very often I'll have a photo that I took yesterday appearing before photos I've taken today for some inexplicable reason. It's caused some accidental photo deletion which really had me annoyed so I just avoided it altogether.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It's disconcerting that the 6 is more fragile than the 5. I've stated before that my 5 has taken quite a few tumbles into hard ground a number of times over the last two years and it's in perfectly acceptable condition. I have friends with shattered and cracked screens way worse than mine.

I'll have to be extra careful with the 6. No way I'm putting an ugly case on my phone. Well... maybe no way :cry:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Restoring my iPhone 5 backup to my 6 and now iTunes displays "ShoogaSlim's iPhone 5" twice.... weird

e: nvm just unplugged it, changed the name in settings, plugged it back in and all good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New phone and/or new version of iOS warrants looking around in Settings and discovering new poo poo.

One of my favorite new features is raising your phone to your ear while in a text thread and you will get a noise prompt to start recording a voice message. Put your phone back down and it will auto send to the recipient. When they reply with a voice message just raise your phone again to listen. My friends and I have been doing that since iOS 8 officially dropped.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

A buddy of mine has had the biggest bulkiest Otterbox on his 4S for years now and is almost definitely going to get one when/if he upgrades to a 6. He's even considering a 6 Plus which will equate to him carrying a brick around at all time.

They really butcher the look and feel of the device beyond comprehension. Any appreciation for design or aesthetics goes completely out the window.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Now that two brand new phones are out can we revisit the issue of how we're supposed to treat the batteries in these things?

My iPhone 5 battery had to be replaced once because it was bunk and then toward the end it was barely getting me through a few short hours.

I've read that you're not supposed to let them charge overnight, staying at 100% for too long. Then I've read you're supposed to try and not let them ever get below 30% or something.

Any definitive guide on this?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

This is my first iPhone with Touch ID. Is it not possible to allow fingerprint access for the App Store while leaving passcode off for unlocking the phone?

I don't like having to enter a password (or needing to use my fingerprint or whatever) to unlock my phone but I do want the convenience of fingerprint unlock for downloading apps. What's the point of not allowing them to be separate?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Understood. But I don't want to have to unlock my phone to do actions with Siri.

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

But yeah, I should be able to use my thumbprint in the App Store without needing to keep a passcode on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Cozmosis posted:

I agree, I really wish this was the case. My big problem is if I want to swipe on a specific notification on the lockscreen, I can't without entering the passcode (which I hate). And I can't even make the passcode delayed.

I would like to be able to use Touch ID for apps, app store, and apple pay and nothing else. Sigh.

Bingo. If I have multiple notifications and want to unlock to a specific one I don't want to swipe then unlock. Touch ID being all or nothing is pretty lame. I don't need to have a lock on my phone. If someone steals it I can just remote wipe it or something. It's not worth the extra half a second over the course of three billion unlocks over the life of the phone.

Unrelated: how come switching to slow motion video mode in the camera seems to absorb WAY less light than a regular photo? There may be something about the way it renders I don't understand but is there actually a reason for this? If I'm not outside in direct sunlight I can't really attempt to record anything slowmo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Reachability probably owns if you're on a 6+, but on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

Except when you're holding the phone in one hand and want to access something on the upper opposite side of the screen.

The 6 is easy enough to hold and reposition in your hand to reach some of that stuff in most cases, but I've used Reachability a few times where it's come in quite handy.

Guess I'm so loving stupid.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Variable_H posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the crazy battery life of the new phones, but I've only seen a nominal improvement. Where my 5S could do about 4.5 hours of heavy use, my 6 is getting about 6 hours. It's a definite improvement, but nothing like what people are saying.

Agreed. The battery is noticeably better on my 6 than it was on my 5 but it isn't mind blowing.

I suspect most people aren't really glued to their phones like I am. I'm often commuting in and around nyc with my phone screen on most of the time. Browsing apps/sites, listening to music, checking directions on Google maps, constantly texting, checking instagram and other social media. I burn through battery very quickly.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Any time I've had a ton of "other" stuff on my phone I would backup to iTunes, restore the phone to factory settings, then restore from that same backup and that storage space would magically return to me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rick posted:

My unconfirmed guess about this is that it's either podcast data or album artwork.

I don't ever mess with podcasts, and all of my album art is always still there when I restore.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mest0r posted:

So the iPhone 6 and the 6+ support faster charging with a 2.1A charger (which are included with the iPad):

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-faster-charging/

The article also states it will work with newer Macs. I have a MBPr from just like a year and a half ago. I wonder if that counts. I charged my phone on my laptop today for the first time and it seemed faster than my 5 but I can't confirm.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Inertial scrolling means swipe with a flick and it will continue to scroll, right? There's no difference in Safari or Chrome on my 6 than on my 5.

E: the scrolling isn't as fluid as the Awful app or like Instagram but it's still "bouncy"

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 23, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I rather like not having such fast scrolling on web pages. If I give the screen a flick I can get just far enough to read the next part of the screen instead of flying down to the bottom.

I am experiencing some audio hiccups, though. Got sent a link to a YouTube video in Facebook messenger and while watching the video the audio was cutting out while I continued to get messages.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Dancing Peasant posted:

I just realized that carrying a 6+ while working out at the gym gives off the weirdest looks. Should I look into getting an armband (which looks pretty dumb), continue to hide the 6+ in my pocket, or is there any other advice you guys can offer?

My advice is to not give a gently caress about what other people think and do your thing, man.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Hey Siri functionality talked about on the last page like cooking or holding a baby, etc, are all great. But that brings me back to my earlier complaint of needing Touch ID as a passcode if you want it on at all.

If I'm cooking and want to use hey Siri to check measurements and such, I wouldn't be able to have Siri read me a text message while I was busy without unlocking the phone first, which totally negates hands-free operability.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flosofl posted:

General>Touch ID & Passcode

Under "Allow Access When Locked" make sure Siri and Reply with Message is turned on.

This was suggested last time. That allows you to reply to a message but it does not allow Siri to dictate a message you've received without unlocking first.

Example: "hey Siri text Joe Schmo: want to go see a movie later"

*get a text reply from Joe, hands are full*

"Hey siri read my text message"

*sorry you have to unlock your phone first*

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DarkJC posted:

I just did this now, from the lock screen, with touch ID enabled. It read the message just fine and I successfully sent a reply all while dictating everything.

I just tried it again. I have a few texts so I locked the screen and said "hey Siri read my texts"

It said "you have a few text messages, you'll need to unlock your iPhone to hear them"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you have Show Previews turned off under Settings > Notifications > Messages?

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ Good call. The butt-pic incident happened about four years ago before DND was a thing. DND is a precious resource for when I'm showing my boss something on my MacBook.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Good thing I'm one of those insufferable people whose phone is always out and I don't actually interact with the people I'm around.

As for the "hey siri" thing: I brought my charger into the kitchen and left my phone plugged in while I prepared and cooked dinner. I would say that the usefulness and practicality of it was pretty piss poor in a real environment. I will add that I was listening to music at a moderate level and I'm sure that interfered in some of the cases. But really the biggest problem is that it doesn't understand that I'm saying "hey Siri" in the first place. I've had to adapt how I pronounce Siri to rhyme with eerie and really annunciate the syllables. Then when it does hear me it's a 50/50 decision on whether it will start listening for further commands or just think that all I wanted to do was loving say hello and she just says hi back. In the best case scenario you say "hey Siri" immediately followed by your command and it hears everything and does it right. That was, sadly, a small fraction of the times I tried talking to my phone.

It's a great feature and when it works it's awesome. But it was barely usable in my one real test of its efficiency. Also iOS 8 is buggy as gently caress I can't wait for the inevitable update holy poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Feenix posted:

That *is* how you pronounce Siri.

Ask your phone "how do you pronounce your name" and she responds with a pronunciation like that sounds like "silly" but with an R.

Regardless of pronunciation it wasn't as reliable as I had hoped. Like I said: awesome when it works but wish it was more consistent.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Well sorry for striking up pronunciation chat. Now that I'm in my quiet room it seems either way of saying it pulls it up. Which could probably mean that the music I was listening to was really loving with how well the phone heard me. It really wasn't that loud at all. It's odd because I can be in a car with loud music playing and ask "what song is this" and it filters out the music really well to hear my question.

All in all, Siri is inconsistent just like she always has been. What a gal.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Newsflash: people wear tight fitting jeans (raises hand), just because you might not doesn't mean nobody else should.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If your jeans are tight enough to BEND YOUR PHONE INTO THE CONTOUR OF YOUR LEG then I think you might have a problem.

Isn't that the point of a thinner phone in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Slap Happy posted:

I don't understand the forces involved in bending a phone in your front pocket. Back pocket I can understand because of a round butt exerting force. How does it get bent in the side pocket? Is there a helpful diagram?

What the gently caress pants do you wear with "side" pockets? Jeans have back and front pockets. Anything in your front pocket is pressed against the front of your thigh. When your legs are big enough and/or your pants are tight enough there will be force applied from the pants to your thigh and whatever's in the way will have that force applied to it. This isn't loving rocket science.

The only way it would be a non-issue is if you wear dad jeans or cargo shorts.; both of which are unacceptable if you give half a gently caress about how you're dressed. Also: it's fine if you don't give a gently caress, just don't berate someone else who does and tell them they're wrong for wearing the wrong pants or whatever other nerd/old-guy poo poo you want to mouth breathe about.