Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

For those that care MKBHD's 12 review is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1b3C2081-Q

My boy getting 1 million views in a few hours, I've been with him since the beginning. Crisp as ever.

I wish the Pro and Regular reviews were one and the same but whatever, waiting to see the Pro one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Laserface posted:

He sucks. He is the epitome of city dweller that loves minimalism and "tech reviews" which amount to "does what the press release says no further analysis required"

On the same token stuff like gamers nexus is too deep for most consumers to bother with.

:goonsay:

What the hell are you on about? :getout:

MKBHD is great, just because he doesn't have a PhD he is still a kickass reviewer and deserves his success IMHO. I tried to figure out a way to insult you for being a rural dweller but I'm tired.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 11, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero One posted:

I got an apple leather case for my 12 Pro. Unlike the leather cases for the 11s this one has a lip all the way around including at the bottom. Which makes it awkward to swipe up for the Home bar because you are always hitting the lip with your finger when trying to swipe.

That is disappointing, I always liked that they lacked that bottom piece on the leather case for the 11s. You're going to hit that little stupid lip with your finger 1000 times per day.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Science Goy posted:

I had a spike in junk calls starting about a week ago, no apparent reason. Someone probably sold a list containing your number to a bunch of spammers and they all are hitting at once, or something. That's a stupid high number of calls for one day...

Yarp. Spam calls are constant every single day for me. Every few months I call 611 for ATT, explain to the rep, and ask if ATT has any other solution instead of their Hiya Call Protect app. The answer is always "no, gently caress you" and it's been that way for years. Except changing my number, and who knows if the new number will have the same problem.

The FCC also has seemingly done virtually nothing to address this too. Think about how many American hours are wasted every day by idiots picking up these calls, or even just being distracted by the ringer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but I just saw the news about Google Photos no longer being free unlimited storage after some date in 2021 :-( Looks like the next best Cheap Good Photo Storage is gonna be Flickr Pro, so I'll pull the trigger once that date hits.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

I got a nomad case for my 12 pro Max and I don’t think I can recommend it.

It certainly doesn’t feel like a “premium” case.

Isn't the only thing Nomad needs to do beat the feeling of Apple leather cases? Sounds like it doesn't meet the mark.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat, 549 is way too expensive. It's so expensive I'm having trouble even figuring out the business play here. I wonder if adoption will pan out as much as they're hoping, or maybe at 549 the expected unit number doesn't have to be so much for R&D to get covered.

Their per-unit profit margins are definitely continuing to be some of the highest of any major company in history right?

I imagine we'll see a price drop within 1 year to $449, but still...

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

I would also be surprised if Best Buy’s house brand was cheaper than Anker etc.

I'd also add that when someone talks about dangerously bad quality for chargers, cables, etc. they're usually not referring to a house brand like Best Buy's. BB is large enough where they will have a direct contract with Chinese factories or a distributor and they can dictate the actual specs inside so it's likely not fire-tastic. The terrible ones come from like gas stations or Amazon third party sellers.

BB's house brands for pretty much everything will be a terrible value, however. AmazonBasics and Anker have both been excellent for me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I schedule an appointment with the Apple Store will they be able to look at the phone and tell me what's actually wrong and quote me a price to fix it, before charging me?

Correct, diagnosis is free at da froot stand in all cases I've heard of. If they cannot find a root cause they're gonna default to whole phone replacement recommendation.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

The protectors are all one piece that fits over the whole assembly. I’m not sure how they are cut on the bottom but on the exterior it turns 3 sticking out things into one flat thing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/saharacase-flexiglass-camera-lens-protector-for-apple-iphone-12-pro-max-2-pack-clear/6440180.p?skuId=6440180

This thing is entirely unnecessary dude

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Did I see correctly that Apple has stopped selling non-magsafe leather cases for iPhone 11 Pro? Are there any particular replacements that feel similar? Kinda tired of my cheapo case. I don't care about or use magsafe.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Unless it was a typo and you meant 12, in which case the “MagSafe” cases look exactly like they would if they weren’t MagSafe cases. There’s just magnets in the case that you can’t see unless you go for the clear one.

Thanks, idk what I did wrong but yeah 11 Pro is what I needed. For the 12 though when I upgrade, I don't want a MagSafe case since I don't use it, but the leather case is $10 more because of it. That sucks.

$60 for a god drat case

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 19, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cozmosis posted:

Back to True Tone - I really like it on my iPhone 11 which is LCD but I hate it on all the OLED phones and the Macs. It yellows the poo poo out of the OLED devices.

Shrug, I have an iPhone 11 Pro which is OLED and I like True Tone, seems to make things less harsh. Sure it yellows the color temperature but that's just.... how it works. I totally get preferring a cooler more neutral color temp though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

When I have a couple hours on the weekend I might do that on my current 11 Pro. Reinstalling everything is gonna suck but I have a feeling it will be a lot smoother and with better battery life.

Kinda how I used to format my big desktop PCs that were slowing down with age in the Pentium/1GB RAM era

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

x-post :

Inner Light posted:

Dunno where to post this but just got news that LastPass is going to paid only for more than 1 device (phone or PC), which is gonna make me immediately want an alternative.

Any consensus best password managers that is just as easy / set-and-forget as LP?

I have been a LP apologist for a while but no more!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

kitten smoothie posted:

Hell froze over about two months ago and they released a Chrome extension for iCloud Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

Thanks for posting, will definitely check this out to see if it can replace LastPass / 1P for me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently that’s only for the chrome plugin, and for safari you need to open the actual app. Which I never open because that defeats the whole point of the plug-in. And I’m not going to use chrome on a Mac because I like my battery to last more than 2 hours and for it to not sound like a harrier jet taking off.

E: And Privacy requires funding through a debit/checking card? In the US anyway linking your debit/checking card to anything is a monumentally dumb idea.

I use Chrome on a Mac and I've never noticed it operating worse than Safari.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have a messed up face or something

:lol:

Sounds like your sensors may be fudged and you need some fruit to dip in the fudge (go to Apple Store)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd do a clean wipe if I didn't have a zillion apps, all with separate logins, my google mail/calendars synched, my work exchange stuff, general settings, notification settings, etc. That would take like a full day of dicking around to get it back to where it was, if not longer.

I know, I've posted in this thread the same thing before. I think when I get a week off work coming up at some point I'll burn a day and do it.

It's gonna make my 11 Pro buttery smooth probably.

Plus I can clear my camera roll since I have everything on Gphotos anyway.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tenbux Tincan posted:

You might still be in the return window to make an exchange.

iPhone return policy is exactly 14 days from purchase.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Am I missing something with spatial audio? I'm on the latest iOS and have it on my iPhone and listening with AirPods Pros. Isn't there supposed to be something to do with moving my head or moving the phone while playing audio? I mean yeah I hear it's a little different if I switch spatial on and off, but moving my phone or whatever doesn't do anything. I can barely notice if it's on or off.

Everything is set properly, like the settings in Music and the BT settings for the AirPods. And I'm testing with music from the 'made for spatial audio' AM playlist.

e: wait... I think I am confusing spatial audio and Atmos. Spatial audio is not a thing for music, I guess...? But it's happening later this year?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212182 very confusing and I still don't get it

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 9, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

$0, but there's some magic keyword you have to use to trigger it. Like "performance sucks" or something like that. Basically you can't just walk in and demand a new battery, you need to have a plausible complaint that is actually attributable to a hardware problem.

I don't believe this is the case, I think they will flat out refuse to do a $0 battery replacement until capacity is 80% or lower. Even if you complain about performance issues. I could be wrong.

If that's true, I'm definitely going to go into the Apple Store to get my 86% capacity 11 Pro battery changed out. Currently not worth $60 to me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

80% is incredibly strict; I have a SE/16 with 85% health and "peak performance capability" and in practice it's very clearly dead.

Well yeah, it's gonna be strict otherwise everybody and their mother would use the AppleCare benefit, and we can't have that. AppleCare has a P&L.

I'll make a genius bar appointment next weekend probably and check.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Trip report, iPhone 11 Pro ~18 months post purchase. ~85% battery capacity, but noticeable poor life, would barely last a day of light use.

Went into the store, was saccharine and polite with the genius, gave a matter of fact plea explaining I knew their 80% cutoff, slight embellishment of unexpected shutdowns. After she chatted with the LEAD genius I got a warranty battery replacement :cool:

Runs like a top now. Ain’t nothing like a genuine Apple repair vs. some bullshit from the internet. Also the logistics are pretty awesome, in and out in 1 hour.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m confused by why you felt that you had to point out that you were polite to the retail employee, and even “saccharine”.

As if any other approach would’ve been remotely acceptable.

I can see how my phone post reads that way sorry! I would never be anything but polite in that situation or anything with a retail person, I just wanted to emphasize how dumb it would be to take any other tone and how it always helps to be polite. And to emphasize the replacement decision depends on how you frame it.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 23, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ah rats, I bought a vent clip mount in April and it is really good / was very cheap. The product listing gives a 404 now. It's always suspect when something has 10k or 20k reviews, and those cards were infuriating.

Idiots. I bet they got pretty rich for a while until this happened, so maybe they made enough money to retire and don't give a gently caress anymore. Fulfilled by Amazon is a Big Deal for the right players.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fourwood posted:

:raise:
iOS comes with an in-house weather app, not a weather.com one. What am I missing here...

This man is correct, no idea what OP means. To make it complicated though, the Apple Weather app is built on weather.com tech. The Weather Channel logo is on there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

enojy posted:

I used to be back and forth between two cities for work, so I've got (GPS location) and a specific city as two locations in the weather app.

I've since moved to aforementioned specific city, so no more back and forth. However, the two listings in the weather app are now effectively different at all times. Every single value is different -- by a pretty insignificant amount most of the time, yes, but what the hell?

I've noticed weather.com will let you pick a specific ZIP, but will still list it as city, state. You can put in a different ZIP, get same city, state but different temp values.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Armauk posted:

Try doing ATT, trade in with 8 Plus, and see if it still gives you the option to pay in full.

Why do you need to select ATT? I thought Apple sells phones fully unlocked.

Mind you, I don't pay in full because I like the 0% financing and use iPhone Upgrade Program.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My friend (whose life is not otherwise the most stable) was on vacation in Dallas a few days ago, and unfortunately had her relatively new iPhone 12 Pro stolen from her hands while walking on the sidewalk at night. Police report was filed etc., she will never see the phone again.

She had Theft and Loss AppleCare+, so she thought. She does have coverage, however the coverage requires that Find My iPhone was turned on at the time of the theft, and it seems it was not.

Looks like she is totally SOL here in this situation, which really sucks. Make sure you have Find My iPhone turned on. I'm not sure if iPhone prompts you if you have it left off, but if not it seems it should.

Unrelated but I don't understand why these jerks still steal smartphones in 2021. I don't think they can be used, right....? I thought it's been that way for several years.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 13, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

japtor posted:

If you're thinking of activation lock...it's part of Find My iPhone.

Ah, I thought there was a chance of that. So without Find My iPhone it can be fully wiped and just paired to another Apple ID? What about... since the IMEI is known stolen, can't it be locked that way somehow?

I know she's fully screwed i'm more asking out of curiosity so I understand how it works.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wheeee posted:

”Apple has confirmed to me that it already scans iCloud Mail for CSAM, and has been doing so since 2019. It has not, however, been scanning iCloud Photos or iCloud backups.”

To add, not only is icloud photos not E2EE but icloud phone backups can be unlocked by apple as well; this includes imessages, which are E2EE between users yet can be pulled out of a decrypted phone backup.

Android has actually done E2EE phone backups for a while now, I was surprised when I got an iphone and began paying attention to Apple that their much vaunted security is in some areas behind Google.

Well, if you can decrypt an iPhone backup, I would think that makes you one of the Es in E2EE, so I suppose that still makes sense to me. But I dunno, I'd be curious what security experts think.

Encrypted iCloud phone backups can be.... decrypted by Apple?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gay Retard posted:

AT&T’s trade-in offers for existing customers is insane. I can trade in my XS Max for a $1000 credit toward a 13 Pro, which increases my monthly bill by $0.

Seems like a no-brainer. Why do people keep their old phones? You’re going to stay with your provider anyways, might as well take advantage of a $1000 device credit.

I'm likely going to continue the iPhone Upgrade Program. I have ATT and checked their site, but not sure why you're getting $1k for the XS Max.

ATT's trade in value for my 11 Pro is $370. I think i can get more on Swappa so I may go with that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the trade-in price on the site the same thing you'd get at the Apple store? I miiiiight pick up the 13 Pro Max.

On Apple's site? Yup they're the same.

I have a question. I have a fully owned and paid off iPhone 11 Pro. I want to do iPhone Upgrade Program to get the 13 Pro. Am I correct to say that I cannot use the trade in program for any benefit here, and I should sell the phone externally away from Apple? If I trade in with Apple I get a store credit but there's no way to use the store credit for the upgrade program.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Part of why I'm doing the Upgrade Program is so I can just whip it back at Apple at the end of 12 months for the next iPhone. No worrying about condition (beyond turning on and no shattered screen), valuation, anything. Could I get some more selling 3rd party? Yep but I feel the convenience is worth it, I guess.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Luceo posted:

And like all iphone cameras, they're great, so stop worrying about iphone cameras

Dumb hill to die on man, people care about phone cams

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I got the 256GB 11 Pro and it felt like the perfect storage size, I mean since they charge exorbitantly for additional space.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

DkHelmet posted:

Are the iphone leather cases poo poo now? Any case recommendations from good looking and smart goons?

I'll be buying a black Apple leather case with my probably-blue 13 Pro.

e: ugh can't decide between black or blue phone. Thinking blue because life is short. Can't beat understated black though...

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dang. I took my 12 Pro in to repair a side button that doesn’t click anymore; it’s just mushy. Couldn’t tell whether I was pushing the button so I constantly activated Siri and Apple Pay.

They swapped the entire guts of the phone, including a new battery, which rules. I’ve been having to charge my phone once or twice a day to last all day under moderate usage. Battery health was only 91% too.

Feels like a brand new phone. Downside is having to re-log into every drat app again.

Did you have AppleCare+ ? I guess it doesn't matter since it wasn't accidental damage and it was within 1 year from purchase, so you'd be covered identically either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are Magsafe cases exactly? I looked them up and says they charge the iPhone? How?

Got a magnet integrated into it, magnet hooks up to another magnet on magsafe compatible charger pucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe_(smartphone_charging_and_accessory_interface)