Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only if you do that upgrade again in 12 months plan, otherwise it's a straight up $40, based on my purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

Give it 6 months and Apple Pay will be accepted everywhere Isis pay is. Give it 6 months after that and no banks will loan card access terminals that are not NFC equipped. All the while Apple will laugh all the way to the bank with the tiny cut from each transaction they've made, knowing well that it was never the businesses that needed to be convinced. But the banks that allow the businesses to stay in business.

See also: iTunes

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Have we talked about how ios 8 seems to have a weird icon on the lock screen showing where you are? When I was at the bank today, the logo for my bank was in the lower left :tinfoil:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

blah_blah posted:

It's difficult to imagine a less useful post than what you just wrote.

Probably the one you just made

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Is 8 causing problems on phones other than 6? My wife's coworker has a 5s and can't make or receive calls all of a sudden.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Zero One posted:

As said, yes it is really good. You also can't tell how much my hands shake in the clips where I am standing and shooting.

And yes, the Yeti is still broken.

Disneyland thunder mountain got new tracks this year. I think Disney World did a couple years ago but I don't go there as much so I'm less sure about that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

jackpot posted:

Also, any new and exciting case options for the 6? Been checking out Spigen, anybody have any complaints against them?

I'm using the silver tough armor case and have been happy with it so far. I had basically the same case on my 5 and liked it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

For my capital one card I had to download their app or call a phone number to add the card, so I just downloaded the app to add the card, then deleted it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

gohmak posted:

Come on credit unions, get with the times.

Mine had said in September they were thinking about it, then yesterday announced they were going to support it, but didn't announce a timeframe. They have a good app and are generally good with technology, although the location nearest me cannot keep their goddamn ATMs working for anything. Anyway I hope it's soon.

edit: goddamnit my local grocery concern looks like an MCX partner from what I can find, they have NFC terminals that aren't on. Seems like more places around here than I would've thought support regular NFC payments, though.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No. 6 posted:

They're probably trying to protect their image. If Apple had just said that it works on any NFC terminal and people go out to whatever restaurant or store and the transaction fails for some oddball reason, people will assume that's a problem with Apple.

By providing a whitelist, Apple ensures that people will have a consistent and good experience with this new feature/service.

Also there are a lot of stores that have NFC capable terminals that are waiting for that dumb MCX rollout to turn them on, but yeah I think this is the overall reason.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1997 posted:

Just use the same ones you have now?

But if you get 2.1 amp ones they'll charge faster!

If you really need too it's hard to go wrong with Belkin, in the sense that you can be pretty sure it won't catch on fire.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Armchair Calvinist posted:

It's probably just my front USB panel, then. I don't seem to be getting the same issue in other computers.

Thanks for the help. :)

Front USB ports are frequently garbage. Two phones in a row (5 and 6), I've had to re learn that mine are not reliable enough to sync my whole library. Switch to a port on the main board, works fine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I am enjoying the keyboard improvements and the quick switch. If something you are doing opens a different app, you get a little button up top where signal strength is to go back to your previous app. So if you go to a web page from mail you can just hit that button to go back to mail when you're done.

Also it gets rid of newsstand.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Does the one year AppleCare cover replacement battery if the battery life of yours has diminished noticeably?

They can look at the battery stays with their diagnostic tool and if it meets some criteria they'll replace it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Seems like this beta has fixed the drat safari rendering bug, at least.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wulfolme posted:

Will there be any real way to play h.265 video on a 6S? Every google result I see for HEVC iphone app looks like a Belorussian scam, and I thought that phones depended on a hardware decoder for that anyway. The only thing really pushing me to get a 64 over a 16 is that I have a couple dozen hours of video I would like to have available on my phone at any time, and if h.265 playback will be possible on it then it may not be worth the extra $100.

It seems like most people who got a 16 gig 6 on here wound up regretting it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you mean you had earbuds, those are basically the worst. The Apple IEMs are ok but overpriced for what you get. Check out Meelectronics, Etymotic or Shure.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah then maybe just get the Apple IEMs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

On vacation this week using my Mophie and it's killing me

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Presumably they're fine in the camera roll

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like Purify just to throw something else out there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

baram. posted:

i used purify before 1blocker but kept having issues where safari would pull up blank pages and i'd have to refresh to get anything to load.

It's a lot better than when it first came out but I do still get it occasionally.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just install the profile from Apple yeesh

Dogen
May 5, 2002

MY WIFE swears by her backbeat fits (mostly biking use).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

For everyone saying just use the new adapter in the car, unless it also charges the phone (can't see how that would happen) dropping the headphone jack would just because I can't listen to music and charge my phone at the same time.

Most newer cars have a USB port that does both, I think is part of the answer to that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The saddest post

Coincidence???

https://m.curiosity.com/topics/ever...landing-scishow

Dogen
May 5, 2002

withak posted:

FYI, here is what about a year of wear & tear on a saddle brown case looks like.

http://imgur.com/a/uiMrl

edit: I dropped it in a greasy puddle this week and it felt kind of grody so I replaced it.

Just got a 7 and a saddle brown leather case, looking forward to this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Vintimus Prime posted:

Just saw on Apples website the AirPods are finally available for purchase.

They're just wireless earpods, right? What is even the loving point?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just make an IEM version damnit

Dogen
May 5, 2002

decypher posted:

Try holding down your power and home buttons at the same time until the phone shuts off and then turn it back on. That should recalibrate magneto reluctance to homeostasis. Good luck.

Every time I read this post I see Magneto with a very skeptical look on his face.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Hello beautiful

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Someone was saying recently that it's terrible now

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's SADDLE brown so what am I supposed to do, not use saddle soap on it???

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I read a review and they say the pairing aspect of it works fine. Originally they also claimed it would sense what device you were using and switch devices with you but they've backed off that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I have an ATT 7 and it's fine, I use Bluetooth in my car and I have a pair of wireless headphones for exercise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

With Mazda they make you do the firmware update at the dealer so far as I can tell. Took about two years of updates before it stopped crashing and rebooting when I plugged in my phone via USB.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hyundai always wanted to charge me $200 or something insane to update my firmware/maps. No thanks.

That's insane. I just ask them to do it when I get my oil changed (which the dealer does for free) and the biggest pushback I've gotten is "why, is it not working?" Once they even knew to do it as part of a service bulletin.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Perhaps. I got mine at a sweatier time of year.

I wouldn't put anything on it though, too many stories of the leather bubbling up when people do that. Or maybe just the same guy telling the same story over and over.

I think a surface cleaner and more of a wax type treatment is ok. I use wonder balsam on mine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The new leather case (for the 7 and 7+) has metal buttons that feel just like the phone's buttons.

This explains a lot about the complaints I was seeing, because I just got my first leather case with the 7 and the buttons are great, but I've see a ton of complaints about them that puzzled me. Didn't realize they'd changed the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

One alarm wake up like a BOSS supremacy

I wake up before my wife's alarm. I yearn for death.