Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

How much over-provisioning does an iPhone have, or should I not worry about flash wear?

I had been below 1GB free memory on my 5 for a long time, but I've recently been able to cut back and maintain about 3GB free. Since the camera is still 8MP, I think I should be okay with another 16GB other than "future proofing".

You are over-thinking it. Get the amount of storage that you think you will need and don't worry about "flash wear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not really sure what else you can do. The Galaxy S5's solution is to literally shrink the screen, which is even more ridiculous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXWFtYyTEWQ

That shrunken display is hilarious.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that Apple's UI design makes it so that you need access to the top of the screen for almost any navigation action.

They need some kind of technology that can detect when your thumb is at the end of its reach and slides the display down accordingly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone's iPhone actually use more than a 1GB of Ram?

Literally no one's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

It's more that the online support offered to swap it out in a cross ship and this dude thinks I have nothing better to do than sit around an apple store for an hour and a half.

You could drop it off and come back later when it is convenient. They don't toss it in the trash if you aren't there waiting at the 1.5hr mark.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

So you dont think they would use the extra thickness for an improved battery or more rams?

If they added the extra thickness then they could give it 16 GB of RAM to go with the 16 GB of storage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

D C posted:

You call that a camera bulge???

Jesus Christ.

And is that really an HDMI port on the side of that phone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Have we talked about how ios 8 seems to have a weird icon on the lock screen showing where you are? When I was at the bank today, the logo for my bank was in the lower left :tinfoil:

Probably it is suggesting that there is some kind of Passbook functionality available at your location.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 6+ needs to run a bigger framebuffer and backing textures, that reduces available memory even more.

If this happens then fire the developer for writing software that relies on having more than 1GB of RAM in a device that only comes with 1GB of RAM.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Facebook is the only application that I dont let use location services because it wants to grab it all the loving time regardless of what you're doing.

A while back I read something about Facebook pretending to be a GPS tracker so that it could stay active in the background longer than it would have otherwise been allowed to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Yeah Apple seriously needs some elderly testers on staff if they are going make changes like this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Updated to ios8, and my phone contacts now includes facebook people. I'd rather not have that. How do I fix?

Settings -> Facebook then hit one of the buttons there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I actually only have Paper app and not Facebook on my phone. And Paper settings doesn't have anything related to that.

Check Settings -> Facebook anyway. :ssh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

Requiring authentification 100% of the time is kind of the whole point of TouchID. Give it a few days and clicking the home button then holding your thumb on it for a second will become 2nd nature. Next time you have to swipe to unlock a non-TouchID device, even without a passcode, it will feel like a lot of work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yesterday night I set a timer for my laundry, then when it went off I picked up the phone and unlocked it without hitting the button on the screen to stop the alarm. It unlocked but the alarm continued and there was no way to turn it off. Luckily it stops sounding automatically after a few minutes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

You can disable it by going into the clock app. Also it might appear under the missed notifications (the last iPhone I owned didn't have the notification center, so).

The timer page in the clock app didn't have a stop button and there was nothing in the notification center.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god, I just accidentally double tapped on my home button and activated Reachability mode :stare: That was weird. Is there a way to disable that? I don't like that and I'd like to not even have that happen by accident.

Just don't double tap the home button any more, it will be ok.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn't there a big obvious tab hanging off the side of the phone if you don't peel the plastic? What do people think that is for?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

Mine said that too but I was able to use the phone after about 15-20 minutes.

The whole restore did take like 15 hours so my apps and pictures loaded in slowly over the course of the day.

This. It might take 5-10 minutes to restore your settings and another half hour or something to redownload your apps; the rest of the time is downloading photos (and maybe music?) which happens in the background and doesn't affect how the phone works. It will only do that on wifi too so it may take longer than a day if you aren't sitting around at home during that time.

Move all of your photos from the old phone to your computer before running the last backup and the restore will go very fast.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 21, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone else having serious battery drain on their iPhone after updating to iOS 8? Im losing 12-15% an hour in sleep mode with background refresh off and no location services in. What the hell.

It is because your are lighting up the screen to check the battery so often.

edit: You could always check to make sure that the battery percent label is turned off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

First off, iOS 8 is the most buggy iOS release in recent memory. I don't remember any iOS version being littered with so many game-stopping bugs.

I have experienced literally zero game-stopping bugs. Or any bugs, really.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because I've heard that it's supposed to help the battery's overall lifespan. Is that incorrect?

Your phone battery requires no maintenance. A laptop battery may if it is in a situation where it literally never gets unplugged otherwise.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back pocket is more comfortable if your pants are skin-tight, but you can't keep it there when you sit down. This is even more so the case for comically huge phones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'd wager there's more to that story.

Dude was probably at the gym doing power cleans with the phone in his front pocket.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

This seems like a problem better suited to a social solution than a technical one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone with access to a decent load frame needs to do some flexural strength testing on a selection of jumbophones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone commenting on the flexural behavior of cell phones should be required to submit relevant coursework in materials science or engineering mechanics.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ask your phone "how do you pronounce your name" and she responds with a pronunciation like that sounds like "silly" but with an R.

Do you pronounce "silly" like "see-lee"?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brock Landers posted:

Is there a chance the phone could bend?

Everything bends.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

If you give it a moment.

gently caress yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One can only hope that Bend-ghazi will result in youtubes of people accidentally bending their phones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

I think this line of reasoning only makes sense if other, similar sized phones behave the same or worse.
I mean, when I'm making a purchase I don't try to compare the product's features to some theoretical expectation of what they should be capable of, I just see which product has the best set of features for me. Ability to withstand a lot of pressure may be a feature not many people need, but it's certainly one other phones have and the 6+ doesn't.

This is why someone needs to man up and do some flexural testing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In response to Bend-ghazi, Apple should release something like a shoulder holster for the 6/6+.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

This a titty

One time I put my phone in my breast pocket and my rock-hard pecs crushed the phone like a potato chip.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You know that some technology has improved security when the user can unlock his or her phone and not even realize that they are unlocking it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

iOS 8.0.1 is out, most notably fixing whatever HealthKit issues there were.

Someone update and let us know if their phone still bends.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Hopefully Apple soon announces that every 6+ comes with a pair of relaxed fit Levi's.

Everyone who purchased a 6+ will find tomorrow morning a free pair of relaxed fit Levi's that have been placed in their dresser drawer by Apple customer service staff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Looks like Apple has actually built a thigh simulator for testing phones:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building

Unfortunately I don't see a simulator for hip joints or tight jeans.

If Apple giving us a peak at their development labs is the result of bad PR, I'm all for more bad PR.

This is awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A tomato posted:

My emails don't get pushed to my phone anymore and no, that isn't old news, I really was getting push emails two days ago on my 5S.

Gmail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gmail app is a lot better than it used to be but it still feels like a half-assed web app to me.