Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/consumer-reports-tests-iphone-6-bendgate/index.htm

Consumer reports tested bendgazi out. I will now stop treating my phone like its a single stick of gum.

They actually found the plus to be stronger. It is a thicker phone after all.

A three-point bending test isn't the right test. It basically only tests the point beneath the center point.

A four-point bending test tests every point between the two center points, in case the weak spot isn't exactly at the center of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I need to stop reading comment threads about the CR testing. People who know literally nothing about mechanics hypothesizing about how the testing is or is not similar to sitting down with the phone in a pocket are giving me a headache.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

Like my moms friend who told my mom to put the phone in airplane mode while charging since it makes the phone charge faster.

It might. The phone itself will use less power with the radios turned off, so the battery might get from 20% (or whatever) to 100% a little faster. Maybe there is some non-intuitive stuff going on in the way that the phone uses power when it is plugged in, but it is amazing how long the phone lasts in airplane mode with the screen not lit up.

Or you can just plug it in every night and never have to worry about it running out during the day.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 28, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hey, guys! My wife has an iPhone 6 and whenever she takes a picture or video in landscape mode it comes out in portrait mode turned sideways. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? She is on the latest update and is using the generic camera app. Thanks!

Is ithe sideways when she looks at it on the phone, or when she opens it on a computer?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.

Congratulations, that is weird.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aren't there browser addons that let you spoof the OS version info? I want to start browsing from iOS 10.1 on my computer at work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

If one more person loving informs me that or asks me if my iPhone bends!

Respond by betting them something valuable that they can't bend it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah compare wiping a greasy fingerprint off your phone to wiping a greasy fingerprint off the nearest window to see how much difference the oleophobic coating makes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
His job was to remind you to take it out of your pocket before getting in your car, so it doesn't get bent.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

I got an iPhone 6 and restored from an iCloud backup. It seems like some apps remembered my settings from my old phone, yet others act like I've never opened them before.

Is this just dependent on how each app was made, or should I not expect app data to be restored from iCloud backups?

Maybe if the devs did some non-standard thing with how their settings are stored. Last time I restored a backup onto a new phone I think everything appeared the way it was on the old phone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bigger phone = bigger lint.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
An infinitely tall iPhone would require no further R&D because it would already contain all possible future hardware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

It would have two lightning holes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

That's really stupid and would never happen.

Yes it would.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

Powering the screen up to turn it off and on when required probably uses more battery than just leaving it on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

ITunes Match seems neat. Say someone's library contained some pirated music, how would that work/what would the risks be?

None. If the music exists in whatever database Apple maintains then it is matched. If not then it is uploaded.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is an analog keyclick feature. Probably a setting to disable it will appear in a future update.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Yes. It basically makes the edge of the protrusion (as opposed to the flat face of the protruction) sacrificial.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I find this annoying as well. If my car is parked half a block away, then when I get there it's still connected to my wifi but too slow to use Google Maps. It would be even more annoying if I was running some streaming service and had to restart the whole mess, which is what seems to be happening to you.

Yeah, it seems like the phone should be able to tell when you are moving steadily away from a wifi signal and handle it differently than if the signal just randomly drops out while you aren't moving somewhere.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Yeah, I don't see this either. As far as I can tell, the only things Health can track without any help from hardware or software are steps, flights climbed (on the 6) and overall walking distance.

And overall walking distance is probably just steps multiplied by some number.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

You probably shouldn't charge your phone overnight. It's not good for the battery. :ohdear:

No, it is great for the battery. If you didn't charge then the battery would die!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plugging in overnight is the best way to make sure that it never runs out unexpectedly because you never forget to do it. If you are worried about it reducing the lifetime of your battery by 0.2% then tell yourself to shut the gently caress up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Soon iPhone users will be easily identified by the bald spot on their temple.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Tons of folks post about "gently caress screen protectors my poo poo is fine" and I feel like a good percentage of those same people post in the future like "well, it finally happened..."

On the other hand, I feel like I have not noticed a good percentage of people saying those things.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Screen protectors are for children who haven't yet learned to take care of their possessions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jewigi posted:

I somehow got the camera application on my 4s to be upside down, the big white button is near the ear piece and I can't get it to be normal. I'd take a picture but I CAN'T, is this a known bug?

Is rotation lock turned on?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or have people call you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holding it wrong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys seem like the kind of dudes that would make friends pay for a beer out of your fridge.

You don't "make" them pay for it, but if they want to get the fridge door open then they are gong to have to put a dollar in the bill slot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What does FX pay for putting ads on you phone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Giving silly answers to silly questions is fine. Trying to make cheesy comments in response to normal stuff would be annoying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ones from Monoprice are decent.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anyone know if PayPal is planning support for their debit and credit cards?

Don't hold your breath; they still don't support 2FA on the iPhone app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xilni posted:

Interesting, I've never seen a preauth or hold from gas stations on my history before. Perhaps passbook's api can see deeper than our bank app or website will allow us.

Makes you wonder how deep the ApplePay connection is.

Mint shows those temporary $99 charges sometimes too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

These things are just too slippery and even if you're babying it the thing'll fall before you know it.

You weren't babying it FYI.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Apple's secret Project X finally comes to fruition.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I like how there's one on the PCH out by Malibu on the coast. I'm gonna call shenanigans.

Strip malls are literally everywhere.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The phone comes with a glass screen protector.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dbhjed posted:

My wife put a huge gash in her 3G's screen with her engagement ring. Hasn't had problem since but diamonds will scratch it.

We need to know whether a pocketknife, a penny, or a fingernail can scratch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want a phone with a CD-ROM drive.