Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on Apple's track record, it won't affect usability.

To that point the 6+ likely has a higher heat envelope because of the size , so the A8 will likely be clocked higher than the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Picked up a gold 6 64gb. Really loving it. The rounded edge is pretty nice. I hate the size of the font. I lowered it by a click and none of the 3rd party apps respect that setting. Everything just looks too big.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Turning on reply with message without passcode doesn't mean you can just reply to any texts it's for when you get a phone call you can reply with a text.

I wish I could reply to any text without having to unlock the phone.

You can, just swipe to the left. You have to have text preview on. I have a touchID on and reply to texts from the lock screen. It is great.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

kitten smoothie posted:

Anyone else have trouble using the alpha index on the right side of the Music app's artist list?

Only the A, W, X, Y, Z and # indexes work as you'd expect. If you tap anything from B to V, it scrolls up to A.

I've had the same issue but not with those values. The jump list is not very useful. I'm on a 6. I use the jump list all the time since I have a large collection with iTunes Match. Hopefully 8.1 resolves it. Didn't have these issues with the betas.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

serebralassazin posted:

Ya I remember the explicit bug but don't recall if they fixed it or not. I tried it when it first came out but then chose to stick with Spotify. If you have a library of music and that's what you mainly listen to match is a great deal at $25 a year.

They haven't fixed the issue. It drives me nuts. I get the same canned response from them when I contact them about the issue. I can't listen to Music to Make Love to My Old Lady By. It keeps matching to the instrumental version. :(

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Sobriquet posted:

I think invites are tied to a specific gmail address, so you gots to get yer own.

They aren't. It says at the bottom of the invite that you can forward the email to a friend if you don't want it. All they check for on sign in is whether you have the one-time use code email in your inbox.

I like that they cribbed some of the mailbox features. The layout is pretty straight forward, and reminders are cool. I really wish google would add combined inbox support. Mail does it, mailbox does it. So now I only use the Gmail app for work and mailbox for my multiple personal accounts.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/13/hands-on-ios-music-app/

I don't know if it is cool to talk about future releases. I'm very much looking forward to this update. I use iTunes Match and still buy albums. I don't pay for a streaming service but that may change if it easily integrated with my music collection.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Michael Scott posted:

Pogue specifically says that you won't need to unlock the phone before using Pay. In iOS 8 you don't currently have to "unlock" it traditionally but you do need a Touch ID or Passcode verification after bringing up Pay by touching the phone to a NFC point of sale device. I'm wondering how this could possibly be eliminated in iOS9, because it seems ridiculously non-secure to get rid of that verification.

Don't know if their was ever cleared up. Progue's wording was bad. You don't have to unlock your phone to get to loyalty cards. Now you double tap home and it brings up your entire wallet then you scan your fingerprint as normal (as someone else said). Nothing has changed in terms of level of security. They just made it easier to use non-payment cards.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

kitten smoothie posted:

I haven't tried it yet but that seems like it should also make it easier to select which credit card you intend to use, rather than just relying on whatever the default is.

You can easily select a different card with the current system. When the default comes up just tap on the stack of cards at the bottom, which forces you to select which card you want then fingerprint as normal. I have 4 cards on my phone and 2 of which are also on my watch (I get a lot of rewards points) and it is great.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

japtor posted:

Content blocking might help a bit with the tab reloads.

I don't think it is a ram issue. I have similar behavior on desktop safari. I think it is a design choice, not a ram constraint.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh I forgot about that. Time to turn it on if it's not by default! Thanks for the reminder.

You need to download a content blocker. A lot of them will be released. I'm going to use the purify blocker.

e: purify demo

milkaxor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 11, 2015

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Endless Mike posted:

I've literally never seen this on full Safari across multiple Macs with various amounts of RAM.

Looks like I'm wrong and I just keep tabs open forever.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

xzzy posted:

Apple finally put up the terms of their upgrade plan:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

Don't see anything super crazy, other than a line suggesting taxes and applecare+ fees will be due on the first payment and you can overpay each month to meet the equivalent of 12 months of payments if you want to upgrade early. I assume that means you can pay off the loan in full whenever you want but it doesn't state that clearly. If you do upgrade, Apple will pay off the rest of the phone for you and it's out of your life.

Nothing in there about activation requirements which is kind of annoying. Still not sure if I'd be buying a no-contract phone or not.

Thanks for this. I imagine you can pay off the loan in full early without penalty since it is a 0% interest loan. I have my appointment setup 1030a on 9/25 for a 6s silver 64gb. I think the carrier requirement is there to not rock the boat. I hope in the future apple will drop the carrier requirement. (MVNO rumors!)

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

bronin posted:

Mine sync fine from the phone to Google. Just the other way around needs a weird workaround. Have you activated two-factor authetication on your Google account recently by any chance?

I had the same problem. I switched away from google contacts to iCloud. The opposite for calendar. I stopped using calendar.app and switch to the google calendar app. The unreliable syncing was a nightmare.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

robodex posted:

Re: signal hunting, if you absolutely need it to check just flip airplane mode off and on. That's what I usually do.

Seconding this. Especially if crossing the manhattan bridge. If I let the phone do its thing it will take almost the entire length of the bridge. Airplane mode gets it connected almost immediately.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Mozilla's Focus is really good (and free). It doesn't block all ads. It is mainly focused on blocking trackers.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Contactless auth is being worked on for ATMs. I look forward to not having to enter my pin to take out cash or to deal with card skimmers.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/28/apple-pay-atm/

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

ethanol posted:

I have a 3D Touch and force click and honestly I basically never use either

I use them both all the time. I rarely use the home button for multitasking. Let's be a good cop / bad cop duo!

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is WWDC typically a new hardware or new software announcement or both?

Mostly about software. It is the developers conference, after all. There may be hardware there but software has always been the focus. New iOS and new OS X.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

SMDFTB posted:

Genius Bar :words:

I live in NYC and that wait time is about right. I've never been seen at my appointment time. Always 10-15 after. Then again people that just walk in end up waiting more than an hour to be seen.

It was likely just busy with time consuming problems (downloading update, resetting device, etc).

The GB setup is great and still miles ahead of any other retail store experience I've seen.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Iucounu posted:

Ah okay. So presumably it's looking for one of her older passwords from back when that feature was turned on. poo poo.

So it may be looking for her device password. This may be an ios10 thing, but my iPad has said that it needs the password of the device that generated some of the info. Which meant I had to put in my iphone unlock 6 digit code.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just get something decent from Anker and you're fine.

Definitely this and get the iPad charger. The 6/6s/7 will use the higher wattage when charging.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

You need the 10.1 beta. 10.0.2 was a bug fix release.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Got a jet black 7 plus this weekend. Going caseless. This thing is gorgeous. Decided to check the site for pickup and there were plenty of T-Mobile versions available in nyc. If I bought it online it would have shipped in 3 weeks.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Tapedump posted:

Does anyone have the v4.4 Gmail app they could share up for download?

The new 5.0.3 is near unusable for me.

I really don't like the new update. I use it for work email and it is now less useful to me. May go back to Spark. Also, I really wish google would add more customization to the lock screen actions. Some emails I want to archive, others I want to quickly delete.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I can't update any apps. I click update then the update button reappears a second later. Happens on LTE or wifi.

I had this same problem and rebooting didn't help. I've found that opening the app first then going to update it seemed to work. I reported the issue to apple.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Can the Podcasts app download all episodes in a feed? Got a few podcasts where I'd like to get every episode on my phone to have ready (started a new job where I can listen to stuff but can't stream anything at work)

You may be able to change the episode download for that podcast in the settings to "all unplayed" instead of "new only" and pull to refresh.

I would really like to see the stock app get better. So many bugs especially around episode downloads. Pull to refresh only seems to take the second time.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat the new ios just sounds completely poo poo and backwards

I find iOS 11 better to navigate than iOS 10. The updated control center is better. Things will get faster and less crashy but I definitely wouldn’t go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone on the beta, does anyone else get a persistent control center for media controls? It's got a web address as the title so I'm assuming it's something I was watching on Safari but it will not go away.

That was a problem with earlier betas, I haven’t seen it since beta 2. The only way I was able to fix it was to restart my phone. Later betas I found that the music elapsed time sometimes wouldn’t be accurate in CC.