Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've been awful at following all the iPhone stuff, but what exactly happens to multitasking on the 6 plus now that it has the screen shift functionality?

Edit: Oh apparently it's a soft tap of the home button. Interesting.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xian posted:

How likely is it that a Gold Iphone 6 will have a higher resale value a year from now than the other types?

Probably not at all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

redcheval posted:

e: poo poo sorry, this should go in the preorder thread.

vvv moving to the preorder thread, but it was definitely a new monthly charge. Bizarre.

There's been an upgrade fee for every iPhone release.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bet it would babe.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I've also been hearing a lot of people (Android and iPhone owners, both,) saying they're bothered by the 16-64-128gb storage split, as well, and that they feel Apple is trying to drive them to a higher price point. Which is, of course, exactly what they're trying to do, I just don't think it's because of an evil apple conspiracy to be greedy. (It's amazing the silly poo poo even well-educated professionals will believe.)

Curious how that makes sense when the 64 costs what the 32 cost? (Or am I misremembering the costs?)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MrYenko posted:

These are people that habitually order the lowest-storage(cost) model. I only moved to the 32gb model with the iPhone 5.

Oh now I get it. All the price points got upgrades but 16gb.

Regardless a lot of anecdotal statistics going on itt.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

The change impacts me positively because I've bought 64GB since the 4S and now it will be cheaper but I'm not goony enough to think most people know better.

It's pretty drat goony though when you try to become Apple's business analyst.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Annnnd I am on iOS8. Total elapsed time: 90 minutes exactly

Interesting, it took a guy at work about 25 minutes total right when iOS8 went live.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

How can that be? I mean from the very start to the very end, which includes of course installation of at least 25+ minutes

I should mention I did the entire thing from the phone

:shrug: it was drat fast though, can't confirm if he did OTA or iTunes though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that's how it's always been because they can unpack the OS on the computer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I got my 6 case yesterday and I'm a little hesitant about how big this is going to be with one hand. Hopefully I'm not prone to dropping the phone trying to balance it with one hand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

teacup posted:

I just upped from a 5 to a 6, loving it so far.

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

Was that really ever an iOS behavior?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just totally forget the world before touchID. Unsurprising.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sitting in Apple's business room and the 6 plus doesn't feel as big as I thought it would.

Would still never buy it, it peeks out of my pocket.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's all I saw.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

That was what did it, and it does make sense. I had to turn off previews because a few years ago my phone text alert went on and I asked my friend to see what it was and it was my girlfriend at the time sending me a picture of her rear end. It's also helpful when I'm showing someone something on my phone and I get a text from a friend (or enemy) telling me what a big human being I am. I'll leave previews on for the sake of Siri functionality and hope it doesn't get me into any trouble.

This is the good thing about do not disturb mode being in the control panel.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A free vice grip to straighten the phone back out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Something Awful iPhone thread, keeping its finger on the pulse of today's fashion.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Supgaiz posted:

FWIW I just updated my 5s and both Touch ID and cell service are working fine. Is this only a problem with the 6's or did I get lucky?

It's only being reported on 6 and 6 Plus devices.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My phone downloaded it and thankfully asked me if I wanted to install it now or later, I hit later and now there's a badge of doom on my settings icon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

geera posted:

Looks like it's possible to remove 8.0.1 if it has been downloaded but not installed: https://twitter.com/jfmartin67/status/514844404411273216

Success! Thanks

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Swappa is supposed to be safe for sellers too, no? I was going to post mine on there tonight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I think the way notifications are managed is something that needs a major overhaul.

I'm not sure what the answer is but there must be a better way, one that doesn't involve a long list of dozens of apps and multiple sliders for each.

It's not elegant, but a quick and dirty fix would be not grouping by app, and just list them by time, with the ability to slide them over and take an action like the inbox, and a master clear for the whole list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And for a problem like that they'd probably let you just skip the line.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You should be able to walk into your carrier's local store and get it fixed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

"Motion calibration" is always using location services on my 6, is that normal? Getting sick of seeing that arrow.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's less swipes if you're not on page 1, I think it was a good change.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sticking with the latest hardware is always the best bang for your buck, especially if you want to resell.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Capital One Visa was the only card I had that would be added.

Are Target red cards add-able?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A blank bar is an error then. Trash on left and forward on right with my 6.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

From what someone was telling me, CurrentC was basically a bluff to get transaction fees lowered, and as the banks didn't budge they eventually had to show their hand and build a real product and were not competent to do so at all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I just got a new Capital One fancy card with the security chip and all that and passbook doesn't have a graphic for it. Closing account.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've only tried two vending machines so far and they said accepted but then when trying to get a drink nothing happens and I have a charge for a value of "--".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe call ATT and ask or live chat on their website? When I upgraded nothing had to be turned off and when the change was made old phone just had no service.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm selling my 5S 64gb in SA mart if you want to avoid ATT shenanigans.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

I mean really, does anyone at all actually love everything about their job? :v:

Not until I quite the gruuuueling world of tech design for Corgi ranching.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've been using the same backup from my 3G and have had no problems.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Reachability son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've moved to Waze for speed trap alerts.