Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Cross posting from the end of the last thread:

So I assume the Chinese "waterproof and shatterproof" rumors are false since nothing was mentioned in the keynote.
Yes those were certainly bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wintermuteCF posted:

It looks like they're going to cram six rows of icons into both the 6 and the 6+. Does anyone know if this means they're willing to consider a sixth row on the iPad, which has more pixels in both directions than the 6, and more vertical pixels than the 6+?
Considering that the iOS 8 GM is already in the wild, it doesn't seem like it. But maybe they're holding any iPad software changes until next month?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

These articles explain the 6 Plus resolution pretty well:

http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified
https://medium.com/@brucewangsg/the-curious-case-of-iphone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beanieson posted:

So am I being retarded or does it sound like the 6+ might run slower? Isn't the hardware going to be taxed by constantly rescaling the resolution?
Scaling is easy. It's the rendering at a higher internal resolution that will have performance implications. Yes, it might run slower.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone know if apple stores will have demo units out before the release day? I'm 90% sure I want a 6 (rather than a 5s or a 6Plus), but I'd like to hold the unit in my hand before placing an order.
Typically, no.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vintimus Prime posted:

So with the scaling issues, how bad of a performance hit are we talking about?
How are we supposed to know that with zero reviews?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

When does the ban on product reviews end? The 17th?
Who knows? Probably Tuesday night.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't the Apple Watch thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

Have we talked about how ios 8 seems to have a weird icon on the lock screen showing where you are? When I was at the bank today, the logo for my bank was in the lower left :tinfoil:
Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps

It'll suggest the Starbucks app when you're in Starbucks, banking apps at the bank, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey I guessed the day for the NDA lifting correctly!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

AnandTech reviews are the best, super objective and editorialism kept to a minimum.
Hopefully that remains with Anand now gone.

edit: And apparently Brian Klug as well.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 17, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Is there any difference with the release today than the GM edition that leaked last week?
Who knows?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Today's release is build 12A365, same as the GM seed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyway, I could go back to that GM instead of waiting for this update to download on iTunes but I noticed a number of bugs with the GM (apps force quitting, no Instagram notifications, etc). If those bugs are present in the official release anyway then at least I'll have peace of mind that it isn't the GM. Whatever.
I already said it's the same build as the GM seed.

And yes there are bugs. Expect 8.0.1 soon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They made an 8GB 4S? I thought they only made an 8GB 4. Wow.

My coworker has one and is gonna take advantage of that Verizon $200 trade-in deal, which I have to imagine is way more than he'd get for that phone on the secondhand market.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Here are links for Swype and Fleksy as well:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swype-keyboard/id916365675?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fleksy-keyboard-happy-typing/id520337246?mt=8

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

my mother is telling me that swiping all the way left on a mail is sending it to the trash immediately
Yes this is a new feature.

spongeworthy posted:

is there an option to turn this behavior off?
Settings > Mail > Swipe Options

Alternatively enable Ask Before Deleting in the same area.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Huh. I was probably at Disneyland the same day he was.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

You can make calls via wi-fi now so the iPhone would be great for you.
*with carrier support.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 6 leather case arrived today. It feels a bit big compared to a 5/5S but I imagine I'll get used to it. Definitely couldn't imagine using a bigger phone one-handed though.

The wake/lock button move was a great decision.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Prorat posted:

Does iOS8 slow down the 5s or 5c?
No.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone else having difficulty using airport utility in ios 8? Nothing happens when I enter my password.
Did you update Airport Utility? It's working fine for me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xian posted:

Got the "We've got some great news for you. Your items will be ready for pickup on Sep 19." Email last night. Am I waiting on another one saying "your phone is ready today come get it" or should I go up to the store now?
Please take all preordering and day one hunting to the correct thread and leave this to device chat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 19, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The habit of reaching for the top of the phone for the lock button will take a little time to break -- probably about the same as when I migrated to Touch ID to unlock last year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Did it actually switch over? I had the check mark stay on data while voice and data had a spinner, and nothing happened for like ten minutes.
Yep it switched over after ~30 seconds.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god, I just accidentally double tapped on my home button and activated Reachability mode :stare: That was weird. Is there a way to disable that? I don't like that and I'd like to not even have that happen by accident.
Settings > General > Accessibility

I found it in half the time it took you to make that post. Use some common sense here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just learned that the 6 is just a shade too tall for the spot my phone used to go in my car. I'll adapt I suppose. :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I suppose the test for VoLTE would be just to make a call and see if it drops to 3G, and then maybe for kicks try to use data while on the call.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Excellent time to get a new car. Also, I hear the 6 is great for taking photos of cats so you should adopt a couple while getting a new car.
Don't joke. I've actually been waiting for more models to add CarPlay. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It was on by default on my T-Mo phone.
Gimme a buzz and let's test that voice quality! :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I made a call and it dropped immediately. The LTE signal in my apartment is garbage.
Two questions from coworkers on T-Mo: is Wi-Fi calling working in your 6? Does it work on older devices or just the 6?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah, all random settings are invariably in Accessibility.
I really wish I could change the double tap to be the app switcher instead of Reachability.

I need a BetterTouchTool for iOS. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

badjohny posted:

works on my 5s
Neato, thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VoLTE is definitely working for me on Verizon. Post post posting while on the phone with only LTE, no Wi-Fi.

Forgot how nice having data while on a phone call was.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

decypher posted:

Welcome back to 2007. Oh, that's right, Verizon never quite had that ever. ATT foreva.
I'd still be on AT&T but Verizon was the only carrier to spring for repeaters through our building so I had to switch 2 years ago. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was wondering this as well. Also if the 5S supports it.

Looks like it does not!
Yeah it uses data, no VoLTE will not work on anything older than the 6. It requires a new radio AFAIK.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8.0.1 is already in carrier testing, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any ideas on how to get Continuity up and running between an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini (both on iOS8 obviously).
It just works for me, I didn't have to do anything special. Make sure they're both signed into iMessage and FaceTime on the same account/contact numbers. Also check that "iPhone Cellular Calls" is enabled under FaceTime.