Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

89 posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Also, I know all preorders for the iPhone 6+ have sold out....but AT&T stores are still gonna have some at launch this Friday, right?

My store is an AT&T reseller, and we're expected to get 6 random 6's and one random 6+. We were in a similar situation last year where we got 4 random config space grey 5S's and 10 random 5C's

I remember last year, the entire area sold out of 5S's within minutes of opening their doors that morning, with the exception of HH Gregg who had several left in the late afternoon. Reason I suspected is because nobody expected a place like HH Gregg (discount electronics store) to have any stock to begin with.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've been stewing over which screen size would be the better choice when heading to the ATT store early tomorrow morning. These two responses kind of seal the deal that the 6 is a better choice than the 6 plus.

The Plus may not be a choice for you if you're planning on getting one tomorrow in an ATT store. I work for an ATT reseller, and we received one 6+ for tomorrows launch. The official ATT store in town and the one a town over claims they aren't receiving any.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope when passbook is updated, there's an option to add cards that are not payment cards, or even swipeable cards, but just "information" cards. I'd like to add my two health insurance cards and my AAA card to passbook.

Granted, I could just take pictures of the cards and keep them in the photo library on my phone now, but where's the fun in that?

There are websites out there that will let you generate your own passbook cards. I haven't used any of them since passbook came out but a quick google search should bring up a few.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do I have to keep the app installed to keep the pass in passbook? I have no need for a AAA app.

I'm pretty sure once you add it to passbook it stays.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I think they still package them in some regions, but definitely not the United Freedom Land

Maybe it depends if it's locked or not? I only remember getting one with the original iPhone I think.

There's a drawerful at my workplace, so I completely forgot about them shipping with the phones.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Tim should send us all stickers or something to compensate us.

Not just stickers, but the black apple stickers that come with the new Mac Pros.

I bought both the 6 and 6+ (was going to give the 6 to my wife, but she likes my old 5S and says the 6 is too big), and while I prefer the 6+ and had just planned to use the 6 when I'm working out or doing yard work and whatnot, those eBay prices have me intrigued.

e: as far as the bending issue, I've owned every iPhone, and all of them from the 4 on have had a slight bend to them after a few months. When the specs of the 6/6+ were released, I remember saying to my coworkers that the plus was likely to fold like a piece of paper. So far, I haven't had any issue with it, but its not like it shouldn't have been expected to some degree.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2014

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

prom candy posted:

So were there ever any release notes for 8.0.1 besides breaking TouchID and cell service? This slow wi-fi thing is driving me nuts.

IIRC, it was supposed to fix HealthKit and some wifi issues.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The 6 plus is awesome and I've never felt the need to use reachability, even on a smoke break.

And Apples keynote streams have always had issues, though maybe not as bad as this latest one. I'm sure it's one of the main reasons why they have been spotty on even having live streams over the past few years. It's just too difficult knowing how many people are going to tune in. I know I sound like an apologist, but it seems logical to me (though the Chinese translation during the keynote was pretty weird).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yes phones literally bending from being put in a pocket is something someone should expect.

Not necessarily, but again, the past 4 iPhones I've owned have gotten a curve, and my pants aren't skinny or even slim; just normal slacks and straight leg jeans. Even so, for something that big and that thin and made from that material, it honestly shouldn't be a surprise, though not to the degree of some of the examples being shown.

Avocados posted:

The iWatch is the stupidest looking thing ever and if I owned one I could probably think of two actual uses for it. (Maps and reading messages). But I said the same thing about touch screen phones and plenty of other things and here we are. I think the iWatch is a natural thing to come from Apple, but like many first gen products its gonna be wonky.

I think it's pretty nice looking, though I wear a metawatch as my daily driver and it's pretty ugly. Still, I have a small collection of pretty nice watches, but if the apple watch is as nice looking in person as it is in the promo pics, it may replace even my most formal watches for most situations (though I've been burned too many times by being an Apple early adopter so I may sit the first year out).

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I've always had small phones and thought big phones were dumb and got a 6+ and I love it so there

Yep.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 25, 2014

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I got $420 out of my 32gb 5S on eBay two weeks ago. I'd say $300 isn't unreasonable at all.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Exactly. There wouldn't be an extra charge if you never switched to a mobile share plan and got the initial discount in the first place.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

13 employees in my store, all with at least one device that uses lightning cables, and not a single one has had a frayed lightning cable. We've had cables go bad, but not a single one fray.

However, we swap out frayed lightning cables for customers on a daily basis. We're all mostly convinced it's how people are unplugging their cables, but who really knows.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A while back in this thread someone had posted a link to a great wallpaper site that supported the 6 and 6+, but I forgot the name of the site and cannot find the post. Anyone happen to remember?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Amber Alert posted:

Interfacelift.com maybe?

That's the one. Thanks!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Stop and think about how the phone's weight could be on a side button if I were holding it vertically. It couldn't. Seriously, your awesome username is the only thing keeping me from virtually cockpunching you for accusing me of being stupid enough to record vertical videos.

As for flipping the phone 180 degrees, it makes it impossible to use the volume button as the shutter button, and instead I have to try to hit the red dot on the screen with the same hand that is holding the phone (or with my left hand angled funny so as not to obscure the screen, but then again we've lost one handed operation).

Edit for lovely illustration:

Diametrically opposing the shutter and off buttons is beyond :psyduck: to me and I'm shocked Apple did it, but since nobody else seems to know what I'm talking about maybe I'm nuts.

Maybe it's just be, but it really isn't that hard to manage not hitting the lock button while pressing the volume button to take a photo.

I could see where it might be annoying, but it isn't difficult.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Amber Alert posted:

Since I'm procrastinating on a huge paper and feeling generous, I've gone and presented you with proper one-handed technique for taking pictures with your phone. (Please do not take one handed pictures with your phone.)

That looks unnecessarily awkward.

Seriously, I use a 6+ with maybe slightly smaller than average hands, and taking a 1 handed picture with the volume button isn't complicated in the slightest. I don't even see the need to post examples because it really seems like common sense and you goons seem to overthink everything.

In other words, you're holding it wrong.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It works great for concert tickets, as well as paying at Starbucks and for storing rewards cards such as Walgreens. I also keep my AAA card in there.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 23, 2014

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The reason 8gb are sold is because of people like my mother. She has Facebook and solitaire installed. She could care less about storage. She takes a few pics and puts them on Facebook and then they're gone. 8gb is fine for a large portion of people who own iPhones. The power users know better.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe add "John" to the nickname field.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Apple won't work on the phone at all if a third party part has been installed, warranty or not.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flongofthenight posted:

I don't know if it helps, but I had a similar situation last year after getting the screen replaced on a 4 in Borneo. When I got back to the UK I did the "pay £120 and replace for a new phone" thing. I accidentally mentioned that it was a 3rd party repair (not knowing that was a bad thing) and the apple store guy told me to not mention that again (or I can't do the swap). Otherwise it was pretty much no questions, just pay and get the phone.

This may have worked on a 4, but now Apple is going so far as to do component serial number checks, so even if the screen wasn't an obvious 3rd party part, if the serial number of the screen doesn't match up with the device, you will be denied service.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If she can prove without a shadow of a doubt that she was the original owner of the phone, Apple can circumvent the FMI lockout, but I understand that it's an extremely rare occurrence when they do and is somewhat of a hassle for the customer.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone have experience with DIY battery replacements on iPhone 5? Where can I get a reliable battery to put in it?

It's only $79 for Apple to replace it, but I would first check to see if your phone qualifies for the iPhone 5 battery replacement program.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Notes is one of my top 5 used apps, and I wouldn't call it lovely at all. Your problem is that you've associated it with your work email. Can you not just copy/paste your notes over to a different account (iCloud for example)?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

It only gives me two options, my private email or my work email (And it enabled both by default so that notes were being duplicated both over and over each time I edited them, great design). And I don't want it ever emailed anywhere, not even to iCloud. I just want simple little dumb notes that are stored in a text file on my phone and nowhere else.

They don't email to me at all, but I only have them enabled for iCloud. I also have a few notes that are only stored on my phone and are not tied to any email account, but honestly I'm not sure how I managed to do that.

E: Notes preferences, you can set the default account to "On My iPhone", and they will just be stored on your phone.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 9, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Head units have gotten really expensive as they try to out-feature the improved units that get put in at the factory.

Seems like a losing proposition to me but what do I know.

They've actually come down in price somewhat. I remember paying over $1500 about 5 years ago for a double-din touchscreen navigation unit, and today's equivalent with more features is less than half of that cost.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

harmless_fun posted:

Had to take in my iPhone 5 today to my local Apple approved service center for battery bulge (it cracked my otterbox); if my home button hadn't stopped working, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong until it set me on fire. It doesn't look like there is any additional damage and I take good care of my phones.

How good is Apple about fixing this problem out of warranty? I can swing the battery replacement cost if I have to, but the full replacement cost is just too high. I'm trying to hold off on a new phone until the 6S or 7 is out.

i'm pretty sure swollen batteries in iPhones are covered for 3 years.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If you replaced the port yourself and Apple can tell, you're SOL no matter what.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A few years ago, ATT just sent me a microcell for free out of the blue. They told me I was apparently in the worst 8% coverage area at the time, even though I never had any issues making calls at my house. They have since upgraded the network in the area, so the microcell has been sitting in a closet for several months.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That newApplePay unlock is buggy in the betas. That double tap the home button deal is extremely sensitive, especially in the first beta, and every time I would attempt to unlock the device, it would pop open ApplePay. It's better now but still happens regularly.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know if the glass screen protectors protect that much better than traditional ones, but they sure as poo poo feel better. That's worth the price to me.

On the older phones, they seemed to add a little more edge impact protection, but not so much on the 6 and 6+ since they don't go to the edge of the screen.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It's also worth pointing out that if you send the device to a data recovery center, you won't be able to send the phone back to Apple within the appropriate time frame, and you will end up paying full price for the replacement phone.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen? They're going to hand you a refurb'd unit.

I wish there were example photos of what this issue looks like. Are we talking like vaseline blurry or just not as sharp as it could be?

As someone who performs these repairs every day, they aren't going to hand you another phone unless they find something else wrong with the device. The cameras get replaced.

Michael Scott posted:

My guess is the answer to both of my questions is no.

Most likely no and definitely no. Lately I've seen a few replacements get all new warranties, but it's usually for a majorly faulty phone and after the customer raises a stink. Typically, it's either the remainder of the existing warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

I've never seen the option for Applecare come up on a replacement device.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

~Coxy posted:

That said, if the replacement screen is literally popping out from the rest of the phone and shows no signs of being dropped they might make an exception?

Yes, there's a good chance an exception would be made in that case.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

banana allergy posted:

Could be a swollen battery.

drat, I can't believe I didn't think about that when I first saw that post. Yeah, it probably is a swollen battery.

Unless it's a 5C, you don't see that happen too often, unless it's a third-party display. If it truly hasn't been dropped, it was either installed wrong, defective from the factory, or more than likely, a swollen battery.

E: the two screws are in the bottom, right?

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

Up until a few years ago they gave customers the option to add Applecare+ on the first case of accidental damage. It would use the first case. This was when a replacement iPhone 5 was $229 instead of $269 as well.

I vaguely remember a few years ago when there would be a button in GSX that would give you that option, but out store had just started handling iPhone repairs, and I think upper management told us to just ignore it for the time being. Then it just went away for the most part and the subject never came up again.

It has been just in the past two months that I've seen warranty extensions. The few that I've seen were always preceded by the customer calling Apple and making a fuss. Don't remember ever seeing that happen before tho.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 24, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Soldier of Fortran posted:

It's worth noting that, at least in my case, Apple did a free swap for my iPhone 5's swollen battery despite its serial not being on that list, long after the original warranty expired.

YMMV, obviously, but the fire generating nature of swollen lithium ion batteries presumably gives the Genius Bar people extra leeway to help you out.

All iPhones with swollen batteries are covered for up to 3 years. Direct whole-unit phone swap, with no battery replacements performed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The OG iPhone was limited, even compared to my treo 650, but it was still the coolest phone on the market, and its main selling point besides it's beautiful multitouch screen was a decent web browser. That alone was worth it back in the day.

My experience with the six: I preordered the 6+ within minutes of the preorder through ATT, which was the first store I got through. After a day, I was looking at a month turnaround. Release day came, and I bought a 6 from the company I work for, who obtained a few phones of random specs. I got my 6 before the store opened, thinking that my 6+ was a month away. The weekend went by and Monday morning, the 6+ shows up on my doorstep. I give my wife the 6 and everything was cool. The point is, it's unpredictable. You may order your poo poo minutes after the preorder and you don't know until you're holding it in your hand. App Store through the phone seems better than most, but that doesn't guarantee you anything. It's all in the game.

Edit: a few months ago, I had to use my treo 650 for a few days, and it sucked, but at the end of the day, it did what it needed to. I got my email. I could search the web for basic poo poo. I could make calls and send texts, and the texts were chat like. It wasn't that bad. For basic functions, a pre-iPhone smart phone did its job well. I even played an old school version of madden and it was fun, as well as the NES emulator that made punch out fun again.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 1, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone know when Discover is going to be supported by ApplePay? I'm running iOS 9 developer beta, and when you're on the initial splash page to set up a card, Discover is shown along with Visa, MasterCard, etc, but it still won't let me add my Discover. I know they announced that it was coming soon a few months ago, but has an exact date been announced? I'm assuming no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

bobfather posted:

September 16. Discover is also offering 10% cashback on all in-store Apple Pay purchases until 2016, up to $10,000 in spend. Insanely good deal and I’ll be trying to spend all 10k before the year is out.

Nice. I assumed it wouldn't go live unit iOS 9 did. That's awesome, because Discover is the only credit card I use (not counting my debit card).