Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Great new post. Tons of info in the OP, thanks! I think the replacement cost through AppleCare got upped last year to $79 per replacement rather than the $49 listed in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
If the hipsters would stop wearing such tight skinny jeans they wouldn't have to worry about bent phones from their pocket being so tiny.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

limekle posted:

Going from 5S to 6S... hopefully my hands will adapt to the bigger size. I really, really like the size of the 5S. :ohdear:

I feel the same way. I've played with my wife's 6 and it's tolerable although I can't reach the far corner at all. I think I'll be soft double pressing the home button a lot.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

Plug in the phone and let iTunes do a full encrypted backup. Get your new phone, do a factory reset, plug it in, and the setup procedure will eventually prompt you if you want to restore a backup from iTunes.

Presto, all your old stuff, no fuss.

Doesn't this also bring over all of the "other" from your previous phone? I'm hoping to clear up some space by getting rid of the "other" bits.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone have any empirical advice as to upgrading from an iPhone 5S (16GB)? I've historically used my previous phone to pay for and even make a few bucks when upgrading. However, with companies no longer subsidizing, all of these new plans are throwing me off.

I currently pay around ~$53 for 1GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text on Verizon through a legacy plan. Between data warnings when I'm off wifi and storage concerns, I realize its going to cost plenty more for a 64GB 6S with more data.

tl;dr I'm not married to any one company for service since I live in the city, and am debating whether to buy the phone outright or pay each month. My contract is over on 10/22.

If I lived and mostly stayed in the city I would just buy whatever phone you want outright and switch to T-Mobile. Their plans are cheaper and seem to be pretty good service inside of major cities. However when we travel, my friends with T-Mobile usually lose service where on Verizon, I'm still going strong.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

GenericGirlName posted:

Re: Verizon store issues, have your parents make you an authorized person on the plan. I THINK that makes you able to make decisions like "please switch my phone" but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right, it's been a year since I was on my Verizon family plan.

Yup have them authorize you on the account and you have to know the account pin but it gives you full access. We do the same, my wife and I are on my parents family plan to reduce the cost for everyone. I just ordered the 6s and was able to do it on my own accord. The only hitch is the shipping address always defaults to my parents in another state. 3 years in a row that's been an issue.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Haggins posted:

I keep track of paying my bills by using an excel spreadsheet. I just have a simple list of what needs to be paid every month. Bills that haven't been paid are in red font and I change them to black font when they're paid. I make a new tab every month.

I keep this file on a thumb drive attached to my keychain so I can pay and keep track of my bills on my work computer if needed (work blocks google docs). I just thought today that this is stupid and archaic and I should just find an iPhone app to accomplish this simple task. Any suggestions on a good app for doing something simple like this? I don't want to track my spending, have it link to my accounts, or anything fancy. I mean I guess it could have the fancy stuff, I don't just don't want to be required to use it for my simple task.

My wife and I just use the Google Sheets app since we are already in pretty deep with Google Docs for keeping track of things between us. The app is pretty capable, and it syncs simultaneously as we make edits.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
What was the consensus on ad block apps for the new phones?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Lady Gaza posted:

Can I view iOS notifications anywhere once I've unlocked my phone? Due to the speed of Touch ID on my 6s I've woken the phone, seen there's a notification about iCloud or something, but it unlocks before I can read it. These notifications aren't shown in the notification centre either.

Don't you need to change the alert style to show up in the notification center?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I cracked up my 6's screen and don't have AppleCare, that means I'm stuck paying the out of warranty service fee of $299, right? I'm looking on apple's website, and it's worded confusingly but I think that's what it says.

What Dr. Tim said.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

It looks like it's $129

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Seiyal posted:

Bit of an odd question but between the 6/7/8 series, are the only major differences the lack of the headphone jack (in the 7/8 series) and the battery life being better in the newer units? I've been waffling on trying to get an iPhone and I'd prefer a smaller form factor than what seems to be coming out with this new series here this week. Considering that the SE, 6s and 6+ have been unofficially retired (at least not officially until they're all sold out in stores, etc) are the most realistic options the 7/8 for the smaller form factor or is the 6s still a decent option? (I'm not including the + units here since they're roughly the same size of phone I have now).

tl;dr - I realized that the smaller iPhones will be going away and I'm torn as to whether I should get one of the remaining smaller phones before they get removed from stores (6s/SE) or look at the ones that'll still be around with the same sort of size but different internals (7/8)? If it helps, my current (non-Apple) phone seems to have about a 5.4" display but it would be nice to have a phone that is still actively getting OS updates too (if the 6s/7/8/etc will be), to be honest.

I've got a 6s, and with a new battery and the iOS 12 update the thing feels great. Performance wise it's still a fantastic phone. I've waffled a lot the past week if I want to "upgrade" to the 7 to get a better camera and water resistance, but even at $469 for the refurbished 128gb price, it's hard to justify when my 6s works perfectly well.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

EL BROMANCE posted:

As terrible as Facebook is, nothing is worse than the fact the shortcut icons in the bottom row keep moving around. Stay still, dammit!

Seriously, and I have icons disappear or reappear in the middle of the day when I haven't recently done an update to the app.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I’m looking at moving up from an iPhone 7 to an 11 or possibly stretching to an 11Pro. My biggest worry is that I have small hands and the newer phones all look enormous. How has it been for those of you with smaller hands and using the newer larger phones?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Mahoning posted:

I mean, the 11 Pro isn't THAT much bigger than the 7. But the 11 is.

I have big hands and my jump from an 8 to an 11, while I love it, has taken some getting used to with the size.

Yeah this is the comparison I was doing as well. I think the 11 Pro would be the better size, I just don't want to have to spend $400 to get that size. I guess I'll go into a store to actually go handle the phones before making the call.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

C-Euro posted:

I received an iPhone 8 (64 GB) for use as a work phone, but my employer didn't provide a screen protector or case or anything like that. Anyone want to go to bat for a particular brand of case or screen? I imagine I'll be able to expense anything that's not hilariously expensive.

Spigen is always my go to for cases if it's not the Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
That seems pretty solid.

So I could send in a broken X and get $800 towards a 13Pro? I'm assuming this comes as bill credits spread across 24-30months, not a lump sum credit right?

And what qualifies as a Premium Unlimited plan - Play more, Do more, etc? It would help if I refreshed the page

My current phone (11 Pro) is on a payment plan with a Play more plan until the first week of November. Do I need to wait until then to place my order for a 13 without forfeiting the discount on the 11 Pro?

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the Verizon iPhone 13 promo is $700 trade in towards the 13 mini, $800 towards the 13 or higher.

New and upgrades , it is uncommon upgrades get that high a trade in.

Trade in has to be iPhone X or higher, the 8 / 8+ and lower get a lower trade in of about $300-350. Damage does not affect trade in value.

Has to be on a “premium unlimited” plan.

If anyone has any specific questions post or PM. If anyone is ordering via Verizon online feel free to PM and I can send a referral code.

Falco fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 15, 2021