Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Target in general has a lot of nice consumer-friendly purchasing options. Including the ability to spread your five dollar purchase over five different credit cards if you so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am someone who likes the idea of a launch event or seeing a film on opening night (there's so many screens these days though that the days of waiting in line to see movies are probably over) and I can't abide by the Apple ones. Everyone is just so drat tense and the place where the Apple Store is absolutely does not want us there (rich person's mall).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man it's hard to resist that offer of the AT&T Next upgrade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Do I have to turn handoff off completely to stop a call from one phone ringing on another?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Anya posted:

I still have songs/albums on my phone that I can't delete, even after updating to ios8. This has now been going on for a year. Wtf Apple.

However, I like Hey Siri and 8 is doing well on my 5s. Very snappy.

When you restore does it clear?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Wengy posted:

I kind of do, but it probably wouldn't be a huge catastrophe if I didn't have them on the phone (they're all backed up into iPhoto). I'm intrigued by this new iCloud photo library thing, but apparently it's not coming just yet.

They won't automatically sync over, however when looking at your phone in itunes, if you click "photos" you should have the option to bring them over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm assuming if I don't have the option it means my carrier doesn't support it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There doesn't seem to be any way to have handoff on and not do phone continuity either. But it's fine I don't really shuffle a lot of stuff on to my work phone anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Anya posted:

Well I haven't, but there is some new way of deleting songs through the "General" tab, where you can manage your apps and I haven't ever seen that. And I deleted some stuff that I couldn't before, so we shall see.

If a regular restore doesn't get it, a full on factory restore should unless you have an ap that is somehow dragging music onto your phone to (podcast ap was doing this for a while, unsyncing podcasts, restoring, resycning podcasts fixed the issue). If it's still stuck, go to the Apple Store or call Apple Care if you have it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I enjoyed the feel of the 6 I picked up for a coworker today, while trying to sort out my bosses preorder.

Then he stuck an Otter Box on it. It was almost as big as the plus and the screen protector makes the screen look dim and it was a lot less responsive. I feel like this forum and otterbox users probably aren't the same demo but man those things seem to be going out of their way to sap the cool out of a device.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm surprised, I thought AppleCare+ phone orders required a remote diagnostic, but they just took my money and said congratulations you're covered. 5 minutes on hold, 2 minutes conducting the business at hand. Nice.

It literally made my day when someone just was calling to get Applecare. So it's a positive thing on both sides.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Any time I've had a ton of "other" stuff on my phone I would backup to iTunes, restore the phone to factory settings, then restore from that same backup and that storage space would magically return to me.

My unconfirmed guess about this is that it's either podcast data or album artwork.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Chemmy posted:

My new phone is asking me for the password to an appleid for my college email address that I stopped using multiple years before the first iPhone came out.

I can't figure out what the password is and don't have access to the email account. It can't be for any apps, and my phone has no music on it but I'm guessing that's what it'd be for (I think I bought some iTunes songs a long time ago with that email).

How can I figure out what wants that password and stop this? I don't care if I lose access to whatever that is.

Does it happen to be the icloud account listed in the settings > music?

You can try iforgot.apple.com . The recovery tools are pretty good now, although unfortunately that won't help you much if you set it up long enough ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's been several days and iTunes still doesn't want to put my music onto my iPhone 6. I'm half tempted now to just return it to Apple for a refund and go back to my 5. I was hoping a full reset and reinstall of my stuff would've been enough to make it work.

Have you called Apple Care yet? They might be able to help and you're within your free support window.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

my bitter bi rival posted:

Can anyone help me with my iPhone 4S? I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask, but it won't charge anymore. It was fine earlier today, until, at one point this afternoon, it started vibrating like it does when you plug it in while charging at my desk. I noticed that when it happened and tapped the top button to wake it, when it noticed it wasn't charging any longer. Since then, it hasn't taken a charge.

I've tried 3 different cables, plugging into different USB charger plugs, plugging into my computer, hard restart (home + top button), normal restart (top button), toggling the mute button back and forth and then trying to restart (I saw somewhere to try this... idk?), can't get it to go into restore mode because it doesn't recognize that its plugged in. No water damage red line indicator things. cleaned out the port area with a safety pin hoping it might be lint.

Nothing happens when you plug it in. Its not dead yet, but I can't get a Genius Bar appt til this weekend. Am I boned?

You can take it to the genius bar, they'll at least look at it even if it isn't under warranty. It could be a dead battery. Or, you might just need to reboot it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Even if it were only 1 case, the pr damage here is massive. I've heard older people that know nothing about technology discussing it and mentioning that they'll keep their old phones.

I got a text from a coworker to gossip about the fact my CEO is getting a plus and it was going to bend and I'd be annoyed with her, except, I had overslept and the text woke me up, when I was on the way to sleeping until like 3:00 PM otherwise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Sometimes your finger will be wet, or your you let your battery die on your phone, and then you have to either put your passcode in or your appleid password in and you will be way more peturbed than you should be about it because you're so used to touchID. At least that's how it worked for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

lelandjs posted:

The joke is that the HTC One looks like an iPhone. It has the beveled edges of the 5S, while the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have the rounded corners (really inspired by the original iPhone though), aluminum backing (again, OG iPhone) and antenna bars on the back from the HTC One.

Things the HTC One has the iPhone 6 Plus does not: front facing speakers, which I've been missing a little bit. Also stickers used for the logo that come off that are held on by a glue that eventually fails. I do not miss that.

Not from routine use but just "playing with the phone in the Sprint store" the One is probably the phone I like the most after the iphone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah a weak signal is nice but hanging on to a functionally dead signal is annoying and is why I turn off wifi a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ah man, got an e-mail from Wells Fargo that debit cards won't include paywave chips going forward, so maybe Apple Pay would be useful to me after all (since they make me get a new debit card every year).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm fairly certain it won't sync a phone you haven't ever synced to that computer without your permission.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
During the OSX beta, a common itunes 12 bug was the inability to properly sync items on playlists (music or podcasts). There really was no fix I found (although I didn't go as far as IUG) other than eventually the sync just took. It still seems to be a problem here and there, fortunately much less often for me, not so much for you.

Have you tried: just unchecking the playlists, syncing some items through other means (like, sync all items from an album, or something of that nature), and then resyncing the playlist after some of the music on there successfully syncs?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
iPhones and Blackberries are the only phones we're approved to use at work so giving so 8GB phones are perfect as work phones that most people don't even a single ap on (I get people 16GB phones if they ask for them but they never do).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I like Acompli, now owned by Microsoft. Good looking client, doesn't push inbox zero on you if that's not your thing.

I'm assuming they support exchange, then? That's part of the reason I've never jumped to mailbox.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

flosofl posted:

Yeah, they do. But just make sure to check with your company policy regarding communication. Acompli caches your credentials and all your email goes through their servers (that's how they offer that sorting feature in your inbox). They may have cleared it up, but when I was looking at it, I had to dig into their privacy policy to find that since I couldn't believe they were doing all that client side.

Don't want to see any goons fired because they've violated corporate policy.

Oh, yeah that would probably be a no-go if they're still doing that, thank you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

They also removed waterproofing, removed expandable memory, it no longer has removable batteries and they added a thumbscanner a la touch ID. So, besides design, it's basically converging on the iPhone concept like a meteor.

Oh that's a shame, I was hoping the waterproofing would stick because eventually Apple might put it in just for the sake of feature parity.

I've never lost a phone to water but it feels like something that could happen to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Xabi posted:

What, how does it work? Can I upload my entire collection of ripped CDs (as long as it's less than 50,000 songs) for free?! What's the catch here?

It kind of sucks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you use the new iphone beta and the music app won't show your music, turn on "show all music" and everything you've synced appears (along with your purchase history). Normally I have this off since I only want what I sync to the device to be on it, but right now it's not working for many users (like me) in this state. This also restores your ability to sync playlists to the podcast app, too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Sweet man, but I have no idea what I'm looking at here? I'm sure that box is already ticked on as default, as like I said, it will SOMETIMES remember where it left off, but usually it will not.

It's unchecked by default.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's gonna be a weird WWDC this year I think, where the focus is on Apple TV and iOS and OSX maybe take a back seat. Of course I say that and could be completely loving wrong.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've recently been obliged to temporarily use an iphone 4 for work, and, I kind of prefer it size-wise. I'm still going to swap to an LTE enabled phone when I have a chance because non-LTE and Sprint are a bad combo, but the phone size is just right.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like Tested is pretty fair about the pros and cons of Apple stuff if you're into the podcast flavor of RSS.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Social Animal posted:

iTunes has an internet radio function and I was wondering if there was a way I can get it on my iPhone. Apple TV lets me listen to those stations but I don't know if it's possible with the iPhone natively or if I need a third party app. Anyone have an idea?

Most of that stuff is available in various apps (most should be in TuneIn, you might have to get something else to listen to a college radio station if that's your choice).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Pogue's take on iOS 9 features here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ios-9-deep-plunge-the-57-coolest-features-123432534089.html

Apparently the need to use a fingerprint or passcode to use Apple Pay will be removed? How can that be possible, doesn't this mean if someone steals your phone they also effectively steal your credit card...?

Also, with the new notes format, does that mean notes will no longer be able to be backed up and read via gmail or a third party, what about icloud.com?

I haven't installed it yet but the way I read that is that you double click to bring the wallet up, then pay as normal (like how music currently works).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't like at first that they combined library and playlists into one tab in Podcasts, but it actually works really well (I'm not totally sure there needs to be three tabs for podcast discovery but I'm not exactly sure what else to stick there). The whole app is a lot more visually attractive and abandoning that weird folder view is nice (I know you could pick a view similar to what it is now, but the default was that weird folder view). They also seem to have fixed some very old bugs with manually added podcasts so we're almost back to having the same functionality in the app as when podcasts and music were still a single thing. All I'm looking for is the ability to sort my library alphabetically instead of by (?) and I'd say it's done. The fact that it's not horribly broken this early in the beta is also and unusual accomplishment.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ring of Light posted:

My iphone 4 just died today and I am looking at upgrading to either a 5 or a 5S. The price difference is $110. Any arguments one way or the other? I know I amgoing to be getting a big jump over the 4 either way.

5s is likely to be supported longer and has more horsepower. If you can afford the 110 I'd go for it. But as long as phones are supported now, and along with the fact the 5 is a pretty decent phone it won't make you unhappy I don't think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh yeah, good point. My work phone is a 5c and not having touchid suckssss once you are used to it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Alaan posted:

In the stock Podcasts app is there any way to set everything in a podcast to not played? Some of my podcasts have a hojillion episodes backlogged and I want to have them in the unread list so I know where I'm at without setting them all to unplayed manually.

If you mark them unplayed in itunes on your computer the app will follow suit but I'm not sure if there's a way to do it directly in the app.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

I think I went with 'ENJOY YOUR BRICK CUNTFACE' when I had a phone stolen. I can't imagine anybody using that feature for anything other than vengeful text. As if you're going to write 'call me on xxxxx if found' rather than revelling in spite.

I had a phone returned by putting a nice message there v:shobon:v .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It did most of the map stuff in iOS 8, it was just in Today instead of your lock screen.

Really it just overall seems to be a little better at context apps in the left hand corner of the lock screen. But I find I unlock my phone so fast that I don't take advantage of it.