Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is there any difference with the release today than the GM edition that leaked last week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How on earth do I try out new keyboards? I'm not getting any results for the right ones searching for "fleksy" "swiftkey" or "swype".

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It is ridiculous that Apple still has it's low tier at 16gb but it is nice that they give you twice as much storage for the same price compared to the last few years. But they're keeping the trend of valuing storage space much higher than their Android and Windows Phone counterparts, even more so if you've got a phone with MicroSD support as you can get a 128gb card for $100 but then again your phone may only come with 4gb of OS space.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you guys are looking, you can get a 6+ off of Swappa for $1,500 :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The curved glass in my 6 almost makes text look fake like one a dummy display phone, at least with the Awful app. It's crazy.

I remember getting the 5 demo unit before it came out and thought the same thing about that, excited to see how the 6 looks. Did they improve the brightness or color reproduction or anything on it this time around?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else having issues with the 3rd party keyboards coming up but not accepting any input? It happens quite often and its super annoying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

MacRumors is aflutter with talk about their phones bending in their pocket. Some idiots are even calling other people idiots for putting their phones in their pockets. As someone who doesn't have their phone yet is this a real issue or just MacRumors being MacRumors? Anyone have their phones bend in their pocket? It seems to be more prevalent in the 6+.

I've been seeing this posted on The Verge's facebook posts by other people (which I really shouldn't even bother reading, it is a cesspool of dumb), people getting really upset that A. Apple made a phone as big as the Note and B. Apple being pioneers for big phones and C. a phone that big is either the worst or best thing ever.

Sometimes it's so hard to not touch the poop.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Anand tech benchmarks are out and let's just say the Android patrol is in hiding

I'm on the edge of the fence with Android and iPhone but I can't be the only one to not give any shits about benchmarking, especially across two very different OSs? I believe they do it just to for the clickbait because they know it'll leave fanboys frothing at the mouth seeing their phone have 2% performance in a bullshit benchmark.

The battery life though, that's pretty impressive.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not sure about you guys but my phone rests on my leg in my pocket and not in a pocket covering my balls. Also I'm guessing it's bad to wear pants in direct sunlight because it'll make them heat up and kill my swimmers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm a man with average sized hands too. No it isn't. The 6 rules. The 6+ would be a different story, though.

I've got small man hands and I don't mind using the 6+ with two hands and in fact prefer it over the regular 6. Case closed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, how would someone go about removing service from a Verizon phone if they want to sell it? With AT&T, you just remove the SIM.

Take out the SIM card if it's a 4G LTE phone. If not, I believe you just have to activate another phone on the same line to deactivate the other.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So how are all the cool kids selling their old iPhones now? Gazelle and Amazon seem to lowball like crazy and eBay's fees are horrible. Is SA-Mart the best way to play?

Swappa is pretty easy and usually gets you the best value for your device. Amazon is usually better for sellers (sold a launch day 4S for $250 last month), Gazelle gives you poo poo but is convenient.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

So the guy who did the original iPhone 6 Plus hand-bend test did a new video with the iPhone 6, HTC One M8, Moto X 2014, and some Nokia Lumia Windows Phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI

Spoiler: none of the phones budge much but the iPhone 6 is definitely the weakest. As a relatively strong guy I can't help but feel like I could definitely bend my iPhone 6 in my bare hands after watching this guy attempt it.

efb and all that

Do people not understand that thin devices bend easily? Of course the iphone is going to bend more, it's at least 2mm thinner than everything else they're testing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Haggins posted:

On a serious note is it a function of inseam or fit. I have a 29 inseam and threw a 6+ in my pocket at the store and still had a inch or two of space between the top of the phone and the little watch pocket thing. It could just be my fatman pants but I'm not sure.

Came here to post this as well, the phone sits pretty close to the top of my pocket but it'd be my thighs bending the phone and nothing to do with my hip?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does anyone else have issues with streaming music or podcasts where the playback will just stop and you have to turn on your phone and press play again? This happens all the time with Spotify and Iheartradio.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
GSMArena article comment section regarding the iOS 8.0.1 issues:

quote:

I can even give you bend break issue more s3 has it too so stop trying to defending a serious case like this cannot be joke around.

Nokia ftw

quote:

Ebola attach Apple OS so they don't have solution yet to it until they get another version. Fake company bad pricing and stigmatic customers and bugs software.

quote:

All 4,5"+ will bend and break, just the userbase is not mature enough to even try to realize it.
iphone6+ is actually way too sturdy for a device of that size.

quote:

people that thinks things like: iPhones has a premium quality so we can ride over ir, set in it, let the dogs have fun with it, wear thight legs and put your expensive device in your front pucket, wear this device as a cap, and others stupid things like this makes me think, why would you pay all that money in a device and wouldn't get a protection for it?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hasters posted:

If you have a mobile share plan, which is everyone but a handful of grandfathered unlimited people, $25 of your $40/mo fee is to pay for the subsidy on your phone. You are also then paying an additional ~$40-$27 a month for one to two years for the privilege of not having to put $200 down. Plus if you only keep the phone for one year you'll have fully paid for it but have to turn it in to AT&T if you upgrade. It's a huge ripoff and no one should ever willingly agree to it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4528404/att-next-phone-upgrade-plans-a-huge-ripoff

That article is over a year old and AT&T has since made changes to the plan to actually be a pretty good deal. In fact it is better than a 2 year contract because AT&T gives you a monthly discount for being on Next.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

On my MacBook, when I had it, iTunes worked perfectly. On Windows, not so much.

Ah that's too bad because it works perfectly for me on Windows and has for years. CASE CLOSED

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

I might switch to an iPhone for a year or two, but I don't want a 6. What would be the most cost-effective used option right now? A 5c?

I'd almost go with a 5 instead, although you can find the 5S for less than $350 now. Regular iPhone 5 is going around $200-300

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is the 5 still a viable device? I've been debating on picking up one for my gf and possibly myself too. They seems to be going for $150-200

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It'll probably get two more major updates, for what that's worth, but you'd probably be better spending a little more on a 5s. They're still selling it as the 5c, so it's certainly not abandoned or anything. Not sure how fast they are under iOS 8, though a lot of people were saying 8.3 sped things up on older devices.

I guess my main concern is battery life and just the fluidity of using the phone. I definitely won't have this for a year or two, but my GF is floating by on an old 4 that's starting show it's age more each and every day. I've been hearing good things about 8.3 too

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW, I got a 16 GB Verizon (GSM/LTE unlocked) 5s for under $300 on Swappa back in December.

Thanks guys. Picked up a 5S on Amazon for $260. I had an iPhone 5 last year for a few weeks and liked it but couldn't pass up flipping it for a $100 profit.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Feeling big, gay, and proud with my 5S. This phone is so much better than the 5 I had. I ordered a tempered glass protector but I'm not sure if I like it as it leaves a weird shadow on the home button even after realigning it. Just a minor inconvenience but I will not have a phone without one.

I'm assuming there's no way to remove the carrier tag on the status bar without jailbreaking?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

carry on then posted:

There isn't.

Consider me small, straight, and sad then.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just had that happen in Century City, except just that game has muted volume and everything else is fine. But I'm okay with it because the sounds in that game are annoying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Wasn't 2011 the horrible evil days of Android? poo poo is solid today.

poo poo is mostly solid today. Ice Cream Sandwich in my opinion was the best in terms of performance, aesthetics, and stability. The Nexus 5 and Moto G (both gens) I had were pretty drat terrible when Lollipop was released but I see that things are mostly how they should be.

Either way, it's nice to finally be back on a phone that just works without janitoring it. I do miss customizing and themes but it's great just using the phone now instead of tinkering.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sounds like Best Buy will be supporting ApplePay later this year thanks to strong Apple sales.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Basics cable worked great for syncing/charging from my PC for a month before it stopped syncing. Still charges just fine though!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

What the hell are you doing to your cables?

I left it wrapped up in the original tie-wrap and place it in my desk when I don't use it? Sometimes poo poo just stops working correctly. My OEM cable still works great!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Love the new thread title

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Me, I'm only two and a half hours north of one... Luckily there's a few awesome shops up here that have great repair rates.

I knew when Luigi said he was within walking distance in MN that it was the Uptown location.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Bluetooth works fine in my car, had Spotify playing with no isshues. 9 beta 2.

BUT, Settings crashes when I try to change my text tone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How much do prices generally dip once the new phones are announced/released? Debating on picking up a 6 any time now and have been finding a few under $500. I'm assuming $450 for a used one is a great deal right now and even come October?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have an original iPhone and can confirm it doesn't do much. Hell I can't even download apps for this thing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their payment plans?

Also, I haven't seen clarity on this but are the prices listed by Apple per month a flat fee or will they be tacking tax on as well?

Supposedly you can get an Unlocked device through their Upgrade Program but I believe at the time it only gives you options to go through the carrier to check to see if you're eligible? I'm not exactly sure, there's just not enough info out right now.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I use Cricket and would love to take advantage of Apple's deal rather than go through a carrier.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GenericGirlName posted:

Yikes, I came here to ask this exact question. I called an apple store instead and the woman outright told me that I could not get a phone through the upgrade program and use it with Cricket Wireless. I had assumed I could get the T-mobile one since that one is listed as being unlocked when you're looking at it in the Apple Store app and it says everywhere in the iPhone Upgrade page "Unlocked! choose your carrier!!". :/ How obnoxious.

Yeah this is the issue I'm at, too.

So there's this site that supposedly is the link to go to check to see if you'll be able to reserve but obviously I don't have an account with those providers so welp!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So what's the consensus for us with prepaid plans? I'd love to do Apple's upgrade program but I'm not seeing any solid information on how to do it if you're not on the big names.

Edit: Oh, GSMArena also lists the phones as having 2gb of ram? When did that get confirmed?

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 12, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

How backwards and inferior will I be feeling if I buy an iPhone 5s? I just broke my phone today (:saddowns:) and absolutely need to get something tomorrow, but I refuse to spend almost-new prices for a 6 at this point, and there are lots of 5S' for sale locally around $250. I don't care that it isn't latest and greatest right now, but do they still run fairly smoothly?

Yeah totally. In fact I feel like the 5S runs just as well as the 6. Battery life isn't as good but I'd still recommend it if you don't want the 6 because of its size.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When does the OTA for iOS 9 hit? Does it come out in waves? I've never had an iOS device during a major update like this, but I'm excited to finally be on board for it today!

Edit: vvvv Thank you!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So is there any way to utilize the Apple Upgrade program online? I'd rather not travel 140 miles to an Apple Store :(