Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Donald Kimball posted:

Looking to pick up a case for the iPhone 6. I have a simple diztronic matte black TPU case on my current phone, which I like. Is spigen reputable?

Monoprice has some cheap polycarbonate and TPU cases up now and is throwing in free shipping on them. I picked up there polycarb one to tide me over until some real case options and reviews show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can you get an AppleCare swap at 23 months if your battery capacity falls below 80% or something?

That's almost a guaranteed fresh phone in two years if you're not inclined to upgrade by then.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Just "drop" it if you're really concerned about getting a fresh new phone.

This used to be worth it back when a swap was $50. Now that it's $80, ehh not so much.

If I drop it, that's an accident swap. Hardware failure doesn't have a deductible, right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mahoning posted:

I literally have never heard anybody complain about the amount of RAM in an iPhone until like a week or two ago.

I've complained about how when I flip from Safari to another app for a second then flip back, Safari refreshes and I lose filled form data or whatever.

Is that ram?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Don Tacorleone posted:

Wait, he's right, you suck

In other news, supposedly the iPhone 6 bump is pretty noticeable and Apple is hiding it in ads?

So that guy watched the keynote from home and hasn't seen or held the phone in person?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wobble solved without a case.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nerdrum posted:

SUPER glad I went with the 6 instead of the 6+. Anyone notice how much better the vibrate is?

Remember when "better vibrate motor" was a keynote feature going from 4 to 4S?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

xzzy posted:

Nope.. what worked for me was getting apple's old to new adapter that has a short cable (like 4 inches) on it. Their price for the adapter is absurd but it works, just lay the phone down next to the alarm clock.

If it makes you feel better about the price, that adapter has an audio DAC and circuitry to translate iPod controls jammed inside, since Lightning carries no analog audio.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Reporting on my purchase: the Monoprice $6 polycarbonate case is slim, but feels solid. Good fit and good cutouts.

I think I'd prefer something with a bit of a raised lip so I could place the phone screen-down without the glass touching a table, but this thing retains that nice rounded glass feel.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kobayashi posted:

I just played with a coworker's 6. It's too big. :(

I was ready to return mine for the first 24 hours. Now I like it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

William Munny posted:

One of my friends has somehow managed to scratch the screen on his 6 after having it for less than a week. He's saying that he didn't have anything else in his pockets at all. He has applecare+ on it, so he should be able to pay the deductible and get a new one, but what are the chances of apple switching it out for him for free and telling him not to ask again?

Wait till he blows his AppleCare on minor scratches then actually breaks it.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 25, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

not that big...

Said before you've actually started using it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SourKraut posted:

So I have an appointment at an Applestore to (hopefully) get my iPhone 5 replaced under AppleCare+ due to the sleep/power button issue and what I think are reception issues due to a couple of drops it took. I bought a 6+ and already upgraded to it - my hope was to replace the 5 and then sell it. Is the fact I already upgraded going to have any impact on being able to replace the 5?

Your warranty with Apple is separate from your cell carrier.

The only caveat: if you intend to apply for a carrier unlock on your old phone, do it before you get a warranty swap to avoid extra hassle with the device ID not matching.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I thought it was widely known that iTunes was globally a piece of poo poo. Outside of restoring, iTunes remains hidden in the crevasses of my Applications folder. Spotify for music, phone itself for apps, etc for etc.

It seems like you spend a lot of time in every Apple thread saying a different thing sucks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people normally just leave Bluetooth on all the time? Unless I'm in someone's car who has Bluetooth connectivity I have no need for it and leave it off.

I don't notice a difference, so yes?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 25,000 *unpurchased* songs, so even if it matches, it still counts against that. I might be wrong, though.

True.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4914

quote:

iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.
iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.

It won't even let you sign up with a library larger than 25k.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Christoff posted:

I need that bevel edged all the way around.

I drop my phones a lot.

If you want that lip all the way around the screen, I'm waiting for the elago Glide to come in for the 6. For three different-shaped iPhones, that's been my favorite sub-$12 slider style case. Elago promised Twitter that the 6 version is coming "soon."

That "maxboost" thing is the same style, but who knows what the fit is like.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

clockworx posted:

I think it may have been some intermittent manufacturing issue. My wife and I each ordered one in different colors. She got a rash, and I was fine. I liked her color better, so I asked her to send mine back instead. After wearing hers for a while, suddenly I got the rash, but I never had any issues with my initial one.

Not to mention, they were pretty quick to start offering refunds, and the recall program paid above MSRP. I made $50 on the deal.

If that poster above still has a rash, he should probably see a doctor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've heard some complaints about Bluetooth on ios8/iphone6, but I'm actually pretty impressed.

I have some Bluetooth devices that had sketchy range with my iPhone 4 and 4S. Like audio dropouts if I got too far away in the same bedroom.

Suddenly I have solid range with the same devices a room or two away. Maybe the 5/5S were this good too, I don't know, but I'm happy.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

voltron posted:

I called ATT and the rep mentioned you have to be off contract for 60 days before they unlock your phone. I wasn't thrilled to hear that.

AT&T has unlocked my last two iPhones within the week after my 2 years was up.

They just unlocked my last one a few days after my contract was up AND a day after I ported away from AT&T.

I know they're not just blindly approving every request, though --they denied me on the last day of my contract.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The curved edges of the 6 introduce a new dynamic into the screen protector debate.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

INTJ Mastermind posted:

True but scratches are scratches. It's not like you'll be able to re-coat the front glass.

Maybe someone will make these things work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H2GFUW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_e-Roub09YKVS7

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Suqit posted:

It's been gorilla glass since day one.

Maybe you should edit the Wikipedia:

quote:

Apple is said to use gorilla glass in all its devices since the iPhone 4S

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

carry on then posted:

The first one had the iPad-style (or the iPad has a 1G iPhone style, really) plug, as seen here (4th image) http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/07/iphone-review/

I was curious when exactly they switched over.

My iPhone 3G came with the same style charging block as my 6. So, since the second phone?

The 12w iPad block definitely charges my 6 faster though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just accidentally walked through a TV commercial shoot for MLB+MasterCard set to air tomorrow during the World Series tomorrow.

They were using an iPhone 6 to ApplePay at a Kauffman Stadium concession stand.

You think they just got lucky with iOS 8 dropping the day before the WS? ...You think the production crew scheduled their shoot based on when they could get the prop phone updated?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So updating to 8.1 flips the wifi calling setting off. I assume so you can try out Call Handoff since the two features don't work concurrently?

Cool, except now wifi calling won't re-enable. Flipping the setting goes to an error page no matter what I try.

I was looking forward to having wifi so calls and texts would actually work at the World Series tonight. Nope.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It would be really cool if there was a setting so wifi calling is enabled only when cellular service is unavailable.

That way I could still use call handoff when I'm at home with good LTE and wifi available, without having to dig into settings to disable wifi calling.

It doesn't seem that that would be difficult to implement.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So at two different places now I've tried to use Apple pay and did the touchID and it says Done but the transaction didn't work. It was like nothing else happened. Did I pull my phone away too quickly or something? One was at PetCo and the other at McDonalds.

I just had one seem to go through, but show a "-" in the amount on my purchase history.

The cashier said she had to hit a button to approve tap payments but her manager doesn't want them hitting that button. Awesome.

She also made me swipe my card but I don't see a double, at least.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Linx posted:

Sometimes when I download an app, it asks me to authenticate with either my password or Touch ID. Sometimes it doesn't ask and forces me to input my password. What gives?

It's supposed to ask for a password after a reboot. Sometimes it does other times too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

savesthedayrocks posted:

Trace snow does top speed, distance, calories, and has some maps depending on your resort. I never ended up using it but my friend wouldn't shut up about it.

I imagine most of that requires GPS on all the time and your phone probably won't last a full day on the slopes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bobfather posted:

iMessage in general seems deprecated. Apple started it to give everyone effectively free texts, but all phone plans everywhere now have free texting.

I contemplate turning it off sometimes.

Read receipts alone are worth it for me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In my car I have an old Belkin 30-pin charger that has a mini-jack output and play/pause/track controls on the face of the cig lighter plug.

It's a clean way to do a single wire connection tidy with a hardwire aux-in and the buttons eliminate some fumbling with the phone while driving.

Does anything similar exist for Lightning or has the DAC circuitry required scared off accessory makers?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like in a pinch you could just get a lightning to 30 pin adapter and go to town with what you've got.

That's what I'm doing now and it works. The Belkin thing is starting to separate at the plug and is intermittent on cold mornings when the cable is stiff. Plus I'd like a similar setup for the second car without having to buy another $30 adapter as well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but figured you guys would know the answer.

I'm going on a snowboarding trip soon and plan on keeping my iPhone in a sealed waterproof case (works with a stylus so I don't need to take my gloves off). However, I figured I'd probably want to be listening to some music or podcasts while on the slopes so I want to find a way to get my headphones working with a bluetooth receiver. I would just buy some bluetooth headphones, but EarPods are the only headphones I've ever found comfortable in my ears. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (and available in the UK) bluetooth receiver that'll let me do this? Also, can anyone vouch for the battery life of an iPhone 6 sending out audio over bluetooth for long periods of time? I'd have airplane mode on the whole time (or at least mobile data and wifi switched off, since having GPS on probably wouldn't hurt) so I'll be saving a lot of battery that way.

I use a Sony SBH20 at the gym so I'm not tethered to my phone on the treadmill. It works.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I've always found those inner-ear earbuds things to be hella uncomfortable.

Then unplug the included headphones and use your own. It's just a bluetooth adapter like you asked for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pertplus posted:

So I just got done carefully selecting ~200 albums off my computer to put onto my new iPhone. I copy one more over and half of the albums disappear from my music app and apparently go into "other" since, at the same time, my "other" section jumps to 22GB. Tried restarting the phone and re-syncing, not sure what else to do.

It's really annoying because the whole process took like 4 hours and now it's all trashed. I suppose I could wipe the phone and try again but who's to say it will work the second time? Why is this not a simple drag-and-drop task Apple, wtf?

Make a playlist and sync that to your phone. That way you can offline-edit too.

I've been using the same evolving playlist to sync iPods and phones without issue for almost a decade now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I may be completely blind, but I remember there being a general settings page in the official Podcasts app that had a toggle for whether to use cellular data or not.

I had it on, but started using too much data and now I can't find the switch. Anywhere. I've been looking for weeks.

I found the "what apps can use data" page in the cellular settings and turned that off for the podcasts app, but now I'm getting constant data errors, I assume as Podcasts tries to use cellular but is stopped by the OS.

Any ideas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Maneki Neko posted:

There's the "Only download on Wi-Fi" setting in settings -> podcasts, maybe that will do the trick?

Dang, you're right. I feel like that used to be inside the app itself.

Somehow I kept scrolling post Podcasts in settings, thinking it would be down with all the other downloaded app settings, since it's not included anymore.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

obi_ant posted:

God drat that Pro Clip is expensive. I purchased one anyway to test it out.

Now I'm looking for a new phone case. I typically never use cases on my phones, but this 6 is super slippery, so I purchased a leather one mainly for the grip.

I don't really care about protection since I've never cracked a phone. Do you guys know of a case that is maybe even thinner than the iPhone leather? I've tried an Invisible Shield Orbit here and it adds too much to the sides of the phone, too wide. Any ideas?

The elago Glide is pretty thin and fits really well. The matte "soft" colors are grippy.

I had the elago Slimfit2 before the Glide finally came out, but I prefer the way slider cases wrap the screen a bit. I had a Glide on my 4-then-4S for three years and it held up well.

Both are cheap on Amazon.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rear end posted:

It's like whitenoise.

I had this happen once. Rebooting fixed it and it never happened again.

Yes, your buttons will rattle if you shake it vigorously while right next to your ear. So?