Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Radbot posted:

I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?

It basically costs nothing to ship stuff from the US to China, especially tiny little pieces of glass that you can put thousands in a single shipping container.

Since it's a new factory, it's probably extremely automated, so labor costs don't matter that much. And it gives them good press to be building stuff in the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know what the big deal about Apple offering the 16GB is. 16GB costs the same as it did last year, if you would've gotten the 32, you now get 64 for the same price. This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

Personally, I just need 32 GB. I was hoping Apple would increase the base model, so I could spend $100 less. They did not. That's a minor annoyance.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.

Maybe they get to actually book every iTunes user as a sale this way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm curious to see how updated third-party apps work on the 6 Plus. I wouldn't be surprised to see some janky animations.

All the reviewers are using up-scaled apps I presume.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So now with iCloud Photos, I shouldn't need to have photos taking up all the space on my phone, right? How do I actually do that? If I delete them, it says it will delete them from the cloud too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Think the space requirements are really going to slow down iOS 8 adoption for normal people. Especially since there are relatively few obvious changes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bird Law posted:

Am I doing something wrong or does Hey Siri only work while plugged in and the screen is on? I was hoping it would work whenever it was plugged in.

You also have to turn it on in settings.

Funny, the first thing I tried is just completely broken. "Hey Siri, what's my next appointment?" and it just says "Checking..." and sits forever. Works fine in normal Siri.

Edit: Submitted a radar on it.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 18, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

can I use this Health app to count calories while I jog? is it that simple?

HealthKit is just a data store that other apps can put health data in and out of. The Health App is then a barebones interface on top of it that shows some graphs and allows you to enter data manually.

So, you would generally still need a dedicated running app to track you jogging calories.

The promise of HealthKit is more like this: the running app could ask HealthKit for your height and weight to accurately count those calories, without asking you for the data. (HealthKit in turn would get your weight from the Withings scale app.) The running app could then put the exercise calories back into HealthKit and your calorie tracking app like LoseIt could pull them out automatically. You don't have to have many-to-many app integration, just many-to-HealthKit and HealthKit-to-many. Every app has to be updated for that, and all those updates are held up currently.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So the iCloud Drive Photo Library thingy where it uploads full size photos and keeps optimized ones on the phone? Did that not make it in at the last minute or something?

Correct: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Right but I thought there would still be photo backups, or at least something like the old photostream, in the meantime...

It looks like Photostream still exists, there just isn't an interface to it because with iCloud Photo Library, there is no distinction between your camera roll and the cloud. Photos I've taken on iOS 8 are showing up on my Mac still. Without adjustments... guess that is still waiting on that new photo app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Settings > General > Accessibility

I found it in half the time it took you to make that post. Use some common sense here.

Yeah, all random settings are invariably in Accessibility.

Speaking of which, I just found that grey-scale setting. Nice for pranking, but it really doesn't seem like it would help color blind people.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Next month's update will be pretty big. iCloud photos is next year I believe though which will probably be in 8.1. There were rumors a while ago that some stuff apple wanted to include in 8 would be pushed to 8.1 due to focusing on Yosemite. Guess we will find out.

iCloud photos for iOS was supposed to be iOS 8, with OS X support delayed until the desktop Photos app comes out.

The entire feature has been scrubbed from apple.com though.

Compare this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20140715165529/http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/photos/

To the current one: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/photos/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

It happens on the 6, too. Basically just imagine an iPhone 5 size image that's been scaled up to the bigger screen. Things are just a little blurrier, it's still a perfectly cromulent user experience and better than the way they letterboxed older apps on the iPhone 5. It's going to be like when the Retina display first shipped and there was a month or so while everyone got their updates in.

Biggest problem is that the keyboard is scaled up vs. properly scaled apps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like there's a bunch of stuff I have to get used to on the iPhone 6. Like I tend to rest my phone on my pinkie when reading, and the rounded edge with the Lightning port is much rougher than the 5 and annoying. And doing anything at the top of the screen is a pain. And I kind of think I didn't really need a bigger phone.

But we'll see after a few weeks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

MacRumors is aflutter with talk about their phones bending in their pocket. Some idiots are even calling other people idiots for putting their phones in their pockets. As someone who doesn't have their phone yet is this a real issue or just MacRumors being MacRumors? Anyone have their phones bend in their pocket? It seems to be more prevalent in the 6+.

Wouldn't be shocked at all. It's longer and thinner and aluminum isn't magic. If you look at a teardown, these phones are a sandwich of screen, battery, and back case. If you apply even a bit of force, all three of those will bend, but only the aluminum will stay bent afterwards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The homescreen on my iPhone 5 seems comically small now when I go back to it from the 6.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to delete all the photos off my old iPhone? I want to use it as an iPod touch and free up space for music/podcasts but I can't figure out how to delete photos en masse.

Maybe I just need to delete the whole phone and start over.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I didn't think someone could mess up pressing a button twice yet here we are.

OTOH, I didn't think you could invent a new way to touch a button, but Apple did it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For non techies who have upgraded to iOS 8, what are the complaints? I can definitely see the camera roll changes... anything else?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

I don't know, nontechy people are pretty stupid. I saw a girl in class taking a picture of google maps directions on her laptop screen with an iPhone 5S the other day.

I know that force-quitting everything to "save battery" or whatever the gently caress is still really popular from the days of, what, the 3GS?

Yeah, I'm thinking more of "complaining because you upgraded them to iOS 8" stuff. I guess I should wait for 8.0.1 but some of the features would be nice to share.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Obviously this means the 6S/6S+ is going to have a tungsten chassis, guaranteeing it will never bend.

Well, steel works just fine as seen on the iPhone 4... it's just heavy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Slap Happy posted:

I don't understand the forces involved in bending a phone in your front pocket. Back pocket I can understand because of a round butt exerting force. How does it get bent in the side pocket? Is there a helpful diagram?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I tried it using my left thumb, which isn't in Touch ID yet, and it says "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would be nice if Apple actually put out some HealthKit app updates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The Plus will only be awesome if there's software support for it. Using non-updated apps on it is brutal. Like you're using some sort phone for blind old men. Twitter was updated to support the higher resolution, but doesn't even allow landscape mode. If that's the typical developer support the Plus receives then it will be wasted potential.

The new Apple suggested way to write apps is to use Auto Layout and size classes to make a unified iPhone/iPad app. If someone does that, then they should get the landscape mode on the 6 Plus for free (since it is considered compact height and regular width).)

The problem is that if you weren't already using Auto Layout, that's pretty much a UI rewrite. And size classes are brand new to iOS 8.

So I would expect any new apps to follow the Apple plan, but older apps will probably lag behind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That wood case looks nice and doesn't try to be all wood, which never seemed like a great idea for a phone case.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So if that's not your AppleTV, is there any way to get it off the list?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is how it is supposed to work but it was delayed and didn't actually ship with iOS 8. So it still works like it used to.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Still amazed that the list of apps in Settings under Notifications is sorted by install order.

I wish I could set all the apps to only show one notification in Notification Center, but that would be so tedious to do.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Either your phone is hosed, or the application that is trying to save the photo is buggy. I just tried it in Safari and it worked fine, although it did not give a confirmation so maybe you are using a different app?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Promo code RMN20 on AT&T's online store is good for 20% off accessories, and it works on Apple cases. Gets you 9 bucks off a leather case.

Hmm, I can't find any Apple cases for the 6.

Just this leather one for the 5S, which is a pretty good deal even if people gave them bad reviews:

https://www.att.com/cases/apple-shell-case-iphone-5s.html#fbid=CiUgMRcX1G-sku=sku6880993

Edit: Oh, of course, I have to Google to find it: https://www.att.com/cases/apple-leather-case-iphone-6.html

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 29, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

Hadn't read about it before but looks like 8.1 might have some big Maps update.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple-developing-ios-8-1-8-2-8-3-in-shift-for-2015-launches/

They did buy all those transit apps and have done nothing with them yet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The digital image stabilization in video works great. I'm not entirely sure why they didn't use OIS for video, but I suspect it has something to do with how it detects shaking vs. the fact you generally move the camera around when shooting video.

I think OIS mostly handles small almost imperceptible hand shake that blurs a high res image. Video tends to have much larger shake.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you know you are going to use a backup soon, iTunes backup is almost always better than iCloud. iCloud backup is more for emergencies.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boy that share sheet is ugly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also love how much of that screen is taken up by AirDrop even if you have AirDrop turned off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally, last time I did a restore from an iCloud backup, any app that connected to a web service started from scratch since it lost my login credentials. Since that is most of my apps, it was annoying.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 2, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Lightning port on the 6 seems a bit more exposed than the 5, since it's on a convex surface. So it wouldn't surprise me if it picked up lint faster.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking of ports. The iPhone can't feasibly get much thinner in future iterations considering there needs to be a headphone and lightning port on there somewhere, right? Speculate on a workaround for this for iPhone 7 and beyond.

Lightning port only, adapter for headphones other than EarPods and "made for iPhone" models.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The rear end Stooge posted:

Could you even hold/use an iPhone that was so thin there wasn't room for a headphone jack? Seems like a nightmare.

The iPod touch is 0.8 mm thinner than the iPhone 6, and the headphone jack barely fits and requires a cutout on the back. So there is still a little ways to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

I hope everyone that supports dropping the normal headphone jack for lightning headphones never needs to charge their device while listening to music.

I never need to do that.