Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Three Olives posted:

Target will probably cave before Best Buy, I suspect the only reason they didn't is that they are still trying to build trust with consumers after the huge giant gently caress-up with credit cards that they don't want to be launching a new credit card thingy so soon even though it is safer.

NFC probably makes most sense when you are buying a shitload of small items or just a handful of them, like Walgreens and CVS make perfect sense, Target probably does to, grocery stores, etc. Best Buy when you are talking just a handful of high priced items probably makes a lot less sense.

Target was featured in the keynote as supporting Apple Pay in their app. I'd imagine the in-store support is close behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

I bought a gold 5s because I thought it was pretty. All of my (also female) friends chose the gold for the same reason. We all ordered on the release day at midnight and had to wait because there was a shortage of them.

I don't know a single guy who has a gold iPhone, though.

I'm a guy and I bought one. It was really a spur of the moment thing. I woke up at 3am and gold was still an option so I figured why not. No regrets as color isn't super important to me. My wife was jealous though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

pzy posted:

^^ I was just about to link some finished eBay auctions of sealed first gen iPhones. Pretty nuts. I'd love to have one on a shelf next to a sealed first gen iPod!

Buy an empty iphone box and shrinkwrap it.

E: I may have just found a way to turn a massive profit...

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 17, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

Base available storage is like 6GB, and most people are getting the "5.8GB needed" so it's more like 90% of the space is needed for the update, which is only 920MBs download by the way.

Base available storage on a new 16gb device is absolutely not 6gb.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

japtor posted:

They could always start using Extreme again. Or Pro. And I just realized Plus was an old Mac thing too.

iPhone 7fx

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

withak posted:

Anyone commenting on the flexural behavior of cell phones should be required to submit relevant coursework in materials science or engineering mechanics.

Is there a chance the phone could bend?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Bunleigh posted:

This bending scandal kind of reminds me of the thing they had with the 4(?) where people would lose reception if they held it the wrong way.

Holding-gate?

No that's not right...

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

:eyepop:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

The bends are coming from inside the phone.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

jackpot posted:

Anyone have an opinion on SquareTrade, for warranties? I only know one person who uses them, and she's had great experiences, but they've got enough complaints on resellerratings to make me assume they're a lovely company that'll leave me screwed if I ever need them.

I've heard good things. Looking at the pricing for iPhones, it's basically the same price for Squaretrade or AppleCare for 2 years. Squaretrade does let you get a 3rd year for $30 more though. For 2 years I'd get AppleCare. I did get 3 years of Squaretrade for my iPad Air though because I plan to keep it that long. Haven't had to use it yet though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah. Same goes for Verizon phones.

Yes, except you can't buy (or reserve) a Verizon or Att phone for full price on apples website. It's in store only for full price devices that aren't T-mobile. Sucks because there were huge amounts of stock today for in store Verizon phones but I couldn't reserve one unless I was upgrading or signing up for service.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

eriddy posted:

If you let someone use your phone and they drop and break it, is it considered reasonable to expect the person who dropped it to assume the repair costs?

I'm asking just out of curiosity as I've never been in the situation before.

By handing someone my phone am I also implying "accidents are accidents" and if an accident happens its the lender's (my) responsibility since I could have held on to it?

OR does the person taking the phone imply responsibility for the phone while its in their possession?

The whole thing is a social gray area. Does the person have the means to replace the phone? Is their personality such that they will accept responsibility graciously or will they be a dick about it? Is your friendship such that you don't want a broken phone come between you? Some combination of those factors and others will give you the answer for that particular person.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

16gb models are for older people who don't give a poo poo about games or big apps and just want an expensive phone. The market is huge.

Here's what 16gb looks like to a Gen Y or Gen X'er: |About this big|

Here's what it looks like to a boomer: |So big that I am running out of ideas of what text to put in these brackets so I will just ramble for a little while until I run out of room in the line|

I used to agree with this until my dad filled his 16gb phone. When he tried to upgrade to iOS 8 it complained about space so he picked up the phone to tech support (me). I told him to delete old texts, pictures, etc. He said he "didn't want to/shouldn't have to rabble rabble why does Apple make me do that..." Told him about itunes backups and syncing off his pictures... More "rabble rabble". I ended up remembering about iTunes upgrades which don't need the free space so that solved it for him. I think the boomers are able to fill their phones with pictures and videos enough to use up 16gb. It might take them longer, but it happens. I'd guess they also don't go for managing the space on their phones so they'll be upset when they are forced to.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

He bought the phone in the first place though. So that's the market

Right, I wasn't disagreeing with that. Just that that market will probably get more displeased with smaller phones as time goes on.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Selane posted:

Yeah, but no one's saying that Apple won't eventually start offering 32 gigs or whatever as the baseline, they just feel like they can keep milking it for a bit longer(and are probably right).

I picture an apple analyst graphing the intersection of Boomer CustomerSat with amount of storage over time. We'll get our 32gb baseline phones when grampa starts firing off emails to tim@apple.com

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Amex and BoA here. Neither had any kind of immediate verification step other than entering the security code on the card. Both did send a follow up email saying that an Apple Pay device registered my card.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

This has been on my office desk and nowhere else. It's been moved so little it still has some of the bends from the package.

Tell your office to call an exterminator.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The rest of the cable, including the USB end, is fine. It's just, as mentioned above, the rubber loses its elasticity as its bent over and over and that eventually happens.

If you pull your cables out by the hard plastic connector, that won't happen. And why are you bending the cables over and over enough to cause that?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is a thing that actually happens? There are more than enough examples of it across the internet to confirm that it's actually a thing. These people aren't swinging their cables wildly or have mice under their desk.

I see by the pictures that it actually happens. I refuse to believe it is caused by simply plugging and unplugging the cable by the connector (not yanking on the cable which would be abuse). Also, repeated hard bends (abuse) will destroy ANY cable not specifically designed for it. So unless you're telling me that the plastic coating is rotting away, the only "thing" these Internet pictures show is cables that have been abused in some way. People abuse their equipment knowingly AND unknowingly all the time. Unless there is proof (not anecdotes) that Lightning cables are failing at a rate disproportionate to that of other cables, that is the simplest and most likely explanation.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

You are all stupid loving smug goons.

It happens due to fatigue which is caused by actively using your phone while it's plugged in.

My wife does this all the time. She has the cable plugged in the bottom and then it rests on her chest/comforter etc. causing the cable to be bent at like a 90 degree angle. They barely last a few months if this is done commonly. She's already been through 3 lightning cables. They're pieces of poo poo and are not reinforced enough near the Lightning plug.

Your wife is abusing her cables by regularly bending them 90 degrees at the connector. Stop blaming manufacturers for it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Hey cable abusers:
"Certain usage patterns can contribute to the fraying or breaking of cables. The Lightning to USB Cable, like any other metal wire or cable, is subject to becoming weak or brittle if repeatedly bent in the same spot. Aim for gentle curves instead of angles in the cable"

From the iPhone User's Guide under "Important handling information". Don't say Apple didn't tell you not to bend your cables at 90 angles.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

PSA:
If you are considering the purchase of an iPhone 6, I strongly suggest you take Apple up on their 14 day return policy and buy the iPhone 6 Plus. I had the same concerns about one handed use, size, and slipperiness as everyone else but I found you can most likely overcome them. If you can fit this phone into your life, the upsides more than make up for the concerns you might have.

Some suggestions:
- A slightly grippy case goes a LONG way to alleviating concerns about dropping this phone. I use the elago Slimfit2 but any case that has a matte finish will help. A lot.
- Really consider how often you use the phone one handed. How many of those times are really "deal breakers"? After using the phone for a week you might be surprised how many are still deal breakers.
- At this point, many of the decent apps out there have updated to take advantage of the new screen sizes. When you see how these apps handle the 6 Plus screen, you might be surprised. Experiment with the new layouts and try new apps. You might find something that works better than what you're used to.
Remember: if you buy from apple, you have 14 days to return it. Take advantage of this. You should have a good idea after the first week and you might be surprised.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

sum posted:

It's extremely difficult to compare the cost of a 3-phone contract

The general overview goes something like:

T-mobile will be least expensive but you'll need to verify they have coverage where you'll spend most of your time.

Att will be more expensive but have much better coverage.

Verizon is most expensive and has the most comprehensive (though not always the fastest) coverage.

The above assumes like (or close to it) service plans. Devices don't really factor into it because all three have options where you finance the device interest free for a period of time, so in the end, you pay the same for the phone.

There are exceptions but that's the gist of it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

What about Sprint?

Lol

Edit: Don't sign a 2 year contract with Sprint.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 29, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

sum posted:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for

Sure. Couple more things:
The "middle of the road" plans (10-15 gig of shared or total data) are going to be very closely priced across competitors. It's when you need more or less data that they really diverge like I explained.

All carriers offer unlimited talk/text on their mainstream plans so that's effectively a wash.

T-Mobile is the only one that doesn't do a shared data bucket deal. Each line gets its own high speed data bucket, but it's unlimited at a (much) slower speed after you run out. The others have overage charges when you run out.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

Trip report from three days of owning a 6 Plus:

Loving the bigger screen and I'm not going back to a 6. The only thing that's been tough is being unable to reply to texts one-handed but it'll actually keep me from texting while driving so that's an added bonus. (Stay off your phone when you're on the road, kids.) I do feel like I'm gonna drop it frequently so I think I'm going to get some sort of thin rubberized case for it. Any recommendations?

Thanks to whoever it was who recommended I try the 6 Plus instead of just going for a 6!

Edit: Brock Landers, it was you! Thanks :)

Glad it's working out. I'm using the elago SlimFit 2. I've also had the Spigen Perfect Fit Thin but the bottom dug into my pinky when I used one hand. The Apple silicone case is also very nice but I don't think it's worth $40 when the other two can be had for $10-12.

On the one handed use, when you get a grippy case you should be able to hold the phone in the pocket of your hand. Your three fingers will be halfway on the back while the phone rests on your pinky. It's reasonably secure and your thumb can reach across the entire bottom half of the screen.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This is a just a hypothetical question, but would it be possible for someone to boot the phone and switch it to airplane mode before it connects to a network, thereby bypassing lock mode as long as the phone stays offline?

wrt my situation, I've always taken it as conventional wisdom that lost mode turns the handset into a paperweight/flashlight; irreversibly so unless FMiP is turned off remotely. But still, I can't help but imagine Russian hackers in Mexico getting past it, and getting into my phone.

I think I'll go try to find some news articles about law enforcement agencies' success (or lack thereof) in gathering evidence from iPhones in lost mode. Just to see if it's at all possible. I hope it isn't, and the agencies have to go to subpoena Apple themselves to gain access.

When you enable Find My iPhone, you cannot re-activate the phone, change the iCloud account, or otherwise de-associate the phone from the original owner. Even if you don't set a passcode lock, the thief can't turn off Find My iPhone without the original owner's iCloud account password.

The thief wouldn't need to enable airplane mode, they could just pop the SIM card and keep the phone away from any associated wireless networks.

Assuming no passcode, they could have a fully functional phone associated to your iCloud account that could be bricked at any time should you activate Lost Mode. If the phone has no passcode, they could get anything on the phone that isn't otherwise locked down. If they kept it off the grid forever, I suppose they could keep using it, but what's the point? An iPhone that is disconnected from the internet won't be of much use for very long. And if its accidentally connected, it'll get bricked by Lost Mode.

The lesson is: turn on Find My iPhone and set a passcode/use Touch ID.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

6+ is too big, don't do it. Unless you put it in a purse all day long.

I've said this before in this thread: if you buy from Apple, you have 14 days to use the 6+ and make your own decision. Do it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

I am an existing AT&T customer and want to switch to T-Mobile. I'd like to start fresh, with an entirely new phone number (local to where I live now). I've preordered an unlocked phone from Apple and had to select T-Mobile anyways, but I don't actually have any relationship with T-Mobile yet. Is this kosher? Should I be giving T-Mobile some sort of heads up?

FWIW, I'm still on contract with AT&T for another month or so. I don't care if I'm paying for two plans simultaneously while waiting for the AT&T contract to end.

Nope. They send you the phone, you do what you want. It's unlocked. I did this last year.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

How does Amex handle the warranty though? If I'm in a pinch and the phone died, I can walk into an Apple Store and have the phone replaced immediately under the extended warranty.

You take the phone in for repair at Apple and pay what they charge with your Amex. Amex will then credit the cost of the repair and may or may not ask you to send them a copy of the repair receipt. Easy.

Edit: Beaten though the other instructions were for the 90 accidental damage, theft, and loss protection I think. Either way, Amex will reimburse either the repair cost or the whole device cost up to $1000 per incident. More if you have a platinum card.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 20, 2015

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Ochowie posted:

I have 5 Apple Stores within 30 minutes and none have same day availability for iPhone genius bar appointments. Does AC+ get you walk-in service or priority appointment scheduling?

No.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Chortle posted:

Its not just Best Buy :(

This is what I get for living in lovely Canada.

I got this email and I live in America.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

aBagorn posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Ch-ver-chez

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

On busy iPhone days like this do Apple stores only put people buying iPhones in a line and let everyone else in the store? I want to get one of those new orange cases but I'd rather not wait in a super long line for one.

For something like that you should be able to walk In the store, grab the case, and pay for it with your phone. No need to even bother an employee.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I guess I don't see how it's worth it at all in this case then; if you pay $99 for Applecare and you still have to pay $129 for the screen replacement, aren't you really only saving ~$20?

It's not the slam dunk it used to be. I'm skipping it this year. Watch me drop my phone twice and be out $500 now that I said this.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Guys the screen replacement without AppleCare is not $250. Here is the pricing for out of warranty work without AC:

Phone 6s Plus: $149
iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $129
iPhone 6: $109

Cool, so even less reason to buy AC. Especially since I got the phone with my Amex.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Froist posted:

So having never dropped let alone broken a phone before in my life, my 6S lasted 6 days before I smashed the screen. Obviously I thought I was invincible at the time when I bought the phone and didn't spring for AppleCare+. Does anyone know what a replacement will set me back (in the UK)? And whether Apple will try to replace the screen or the whole phone? The metal casing on the corner took the brunt of the impact and is pretty scuffed up too, ideally I'd like to not have to live with that for the life of the phone but obviously it's my fault.

Thing is just too drat slippery, guess I'm getting a case for the first time too..

In the US, some credit cards have a 60-90 Accidental replacement policy if you bought the phone entirely with the card. American Express does for example. Maybe if you used a credit card yours has something similar?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple leather.

Silicone is grippier and won't discolor. Or discolour.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

robodex posted:

I love my Apple silicone case, but it's also already starting to break apart at the bottom. I only bought it like 3-4 months ago.

If you have a receipt (or the credit card you bought it with) Apple will replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Mattavist posted:

The apple silicon case has an Apple on it.

It really is a better made case than some of the $10-15 ones out there. Feels better, tougher, less prone to marring or scuffing. I'm not going to say it's worth $39, but it's worth more than the cheap cases.