Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The price has been constant for 6 years now, hasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The OS and file system takes like 3.75gb for a 16gb device. File system overhead will obviously be greater for a larger capacity device.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you took a backup in iTunes before upgrading you can restore that. But you really should try to unfuck it in the new version. I haven't seen anyone else experiencing that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

I love my 6+, but man, it's so utterly apparent that the design of iOS is not meant for large screens. I think Apple will eventually redesign the OS with large screens in mind, but it's probably going to take at least a year with iOS9, which sucks. I wish they had done more than the reachability thing to prepare the OS for a 5.5" screen. I hope by next year that the main functions in Apps are moved to the bottom of the screen from the top.

I don't expect to use this phone 100% of the time with one hand, it's just too big for that. However, if they concentrated more buttons and functions in the bottom right/left of the screen (depending on your dominant hand) you could do a hell of a lot more with one hand than you can now.

So basically you bought a giant phone and because of that you wish all the buttons were on one side of the screen. ok

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

If you honestly think iOS its current form is well designed for a large screened phone I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying every single thing need to be on the bottom, just that the amount of poo poo you could do one handed would rise exponentially if they rethought the OS a little bit for the giant phone instead of continuing to use design language initially made for 3.5 inch phones.

Btw Frank Zappa rules. Always love seeing your avatar.

I don't. I was just giving you poo poo. Thanks for the compliment. Apple would benefit from introducing some new convention with action buttons at the bottom. Could get hosed up though. Would they go below the keyboard? They definitely won't be hardware capacitive buttons.

Also, iPhone is biased toward lefties because of all the lefties in the top ranks at Apple.

brap fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 27, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I can pick up my phone in my sleep so no, not really. without starting a debate on sleeping habits, I snooze because I just take a long time to wake up.

All it would take to change is make the screen stay off while the alarm sounded, requiring the home button be pressed to deactivate the alarm, you know, like every single iphone before touchID.

It wouldnt be so bad if not for the fact the 6 has lovely rounded edges so essentially the only way you can pick it up is with the charging end hanging off the edge of the table.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone screen has always turned on when the alarm sounds. It sounds like you've trained yourself to turn your alarm off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple pay doesn't mean you don't need to carry a wallet any more you goons.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems best to order direct from Apple. I ordered my white 64gb 6 on October 11 and got it on the 20th.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Peer to peer transactions may happen but nfc itself is not necessary for that. I doubt apple is interested in opening up the nfc when airdrop exists.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people can get by on 16gb and not notice the pinch. Lots of non-tech people get owned by it. It may work for you, but it's mostly a brilliant way for Apple to extract more money from customers by pressuring them to pay $100 more for the 64gb model, and it's not a way to make a great product.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Calm down autist.

Someone pointed out a dumb thing apple did. Must be an autist.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing elegant about a bamboo backed phone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

Naw, I'm with them. The ability to quickly add ringtones, music, files, whatever, to the phone without plugging in and going through a lengthy sync process on shittily optimized windows software would be swell to have.

Instead of plugging your phone into your computer (or your phone into power if you have wi-fi sync) you plug a card into your computer then into your phone. Plus you suddenly get all the joys of the file system. Not happening bucko.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's probably an adaptive layout upgrade it needs, not a retina upgrade, but yeah. It's doing the same thing as the zoom function because it's probably running it in upscaled iPhone 5 resolution.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I look over my phone at all angles to see if it's bent. Sometimes I "see" it, then I look again and I don't. Or I just place it face down on a table and try to rock it and I can't.

If the backup wasn't encrypted, passwords won't be saved in it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much any message I get is gonna be sent to both my mac and my phone so if I'm using either of them I'm up to date on things. If you walk away from your phone for a long time, it's pretty reasonable to say just turn the screen on when you get back if you want to know.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My silly friend never upgraded his 4s from 7.0 to 7.1, let alone to 8.1. Is there a chance for him to update to 7.1? I kind of doubt it. It sucks that you can't incrementally update to the version that reduces animations and improves performance on old devices. You have to upgrade all the way to the software that reportedly makes the phone run lovely.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

Is it just me or is there now an emoji button in the iOS Safari search keyboard that wasn't there before? It makes the space bar small enough that I.end.up.entering.searches.like.this accidentally.

Any way to turn this off specifically in the Safari search field? I'm never going to search for emoji in a phrase and there are no websites with emoji in the URL.

Luckily you can just roll with it and 98% of the time Google will figure out what you meant.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a crazy confluence of events. She dropped it and then you ran over it in your car. Did a carpenter then come by and strike it a few times with a hammer by accident?

Pay the $329 and move on.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of continuity, is there a way to stop voice calls from coming in on my MacBook, while keeping sms? Or a way to change the ring tone that plays on the Mac or make it silent while keeping text and other notification around at normal volume?

Pretty sure the checkbox in FaceTime to take cell calls from iPhone doesn't affect Messages ability to take sms from iPhone.

Edit: beaten as gently caress

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone make an estimate in years or write cycles instead of just saying 1/4

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have orientation lock on almost always now.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Why does the WiFi on my iPhone 5 not work for poo poo? It connects to my router just fine (which is using WPA2) but the vast majority of the time, I can't access anything on the web if I'm connected to WiFi. Very very rarely it will actually let me download stuff over WiFi, but the speed is absolutely horrendous (300kbps). But a speed test from a Galaxy S4 on the same WiFi will get like 8MB/s. I've tried this on multiple access points: at home, work, friends, etc and it always seems to suck. I tried changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as suggested by many sites online, but it didn't seem to help at all. Another suggestion was to use WEP instead of WPA, no way in hell I'm gonna do that.

I found this gigantic thread on the Apple forums with thousands of people describing similar issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714

I had the same WiFi problems on my iPhone 4 and for some reason I bought another iPhone. How do I fix this POS?

You should experiment with WEP and see if it improves performance. It doesn't mean you have to stick with it, but it might give more insight into the problem. Take the case off if you've got one.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you get this lovely performance on other networks? I have to imagine the hardware is somehow defective. I would try updating the software. Not like you have much to lose.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it sounds like Apple has bad chronic wifi problems for some users. I have honestly never experienced them on any of my apple products. I have to assume that the ones with bad wifi performance have hardware defects.

iTunes is not cancer or AIDS. Give it a shot, or don't, and move on to a phone that works better for you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you conisdered

Thorpe posted:

I recently picked up a 6 to replace my 5, and was wondering if it were possible to use my old 5 with text message forwarding for when I'm at work? I work in a machine shop and my 5 got pretty beat up over time from metal chips and whatnot, and I'd like to continue using that while leaving my 6 in my toolbox. I have it setup with call forwarding working fine, and iMessages work properly between the devices, but when I try to turn on Message forwarding on my 6 it prompts for a code that should pop up on my 5 but never does.

Also, on my 5, it says "Waiting for iMessage activation..." in the messages part of settings. I've tried restoring my phone, and tried turning off iMessages on both devices and it always goes back to waiting for activation. Anyone ever deal with this?

Honestly a chunky case that can take a beating seems like a much more foolproof solution than keeping 2 phones charged and carrying them both.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep an iPhone 4 around to test software on and I like it. I'm just fond of it. I think the 5 is a great size too, but I would take the 6's size over it for sure.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the Impact Mesh case that's on the Apple Store. The buttons kinda have to be broken in some though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you clean the sensor and wash your hands :I

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with Apple's mail-in battery replacements for iPhone? How fast is it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like my iPhone 6. The screen size is good and I was a skeptic coming in.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's silly to laugh at the old phones. I picked up a used iphone 4 to test software on and I still admire it. I'm just glad to have the bigger screen on my new stupidly thin phone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys are loving dumb if you don't just carry a wallet. Every time I wear pants I have my IDs and cash and I never notice. These high tech yet worse ways of solving simple problems like "how do I have a drivers license" are really stupid.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPhone 6 and iOS 8 are great. Apple has taken the good parts of Android and executed them better than Android has. Apple Maps sucked, and the whole presentation with U2 was embarrassing. But Apple is still making the best phones, tablets and laptops that money can buy.

It seems as though a lot of people believe that Apple didn't have flaws while Steve Jobs was alive, and every time a flaw comes to light now, they say "Steve wouldn't have let it happen." That's silly.

Most users can operate just fine with 16GB as long as they janitor their phones. Users should not have to janitor their phones, though, and that's why it's a fuckup on Apple's part.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 19, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, he probably would have had to capitulate at some point. Steve Jobs didn't want iPod to be available to Windows users. He had to be pressured into it. He didn't know everything.

Anyway, I was the biggest skeptic I knew of the bigphone when it was announced. But now that I have one, I think it's awesome, and I prefer it to the size of the 5.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
god drat it jedi knight luigi we all knew you should've gotten the 64gb.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On iPhones and iPads you pay a deductible for accidental damage.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long has it taken people to get batteries replaced with Apple by mail?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dude you're weird and should stop being rude to people trying to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have only the first name in the first name field and only the last name in the last name field? If you have both in the first name field that might be messing with it, but I don't know.