Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

noirstronaut posted:

The 16-64-128 thing makes a lot of sense to me.

Like, if you buy the 16GB, that's the "cheap" model yet still in the size you want.
So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap. I've got a 16gb 4s now, and I've got about 2gb free - enough to tape the police beating someone for 3-4 minutes if I had to, but not much more. Doubling that space would be plenty for me. Which, duh, Apple's not dumb - I think there are a lot of people in my position, and they know it. I think by the time the 7 comes out, though, they're gonna have to dump the 16 and make 32 the base model. Or maybe 64, so they can up the price. Apps are getting bigger, better connections make us download more...I'd say the days of a useable 16gb phone are probably numbered.

It's nothing worth crying over, in my opinion - if you just backup your photos (I'm a terrible pack rat when it comes to photos, they're by far the biggest chunk of storage lost since I bought iTunes Match) it's completely doable to keep a phone well under 16gb. Not that I plan to anymore - gently caress having to delete poo poo off my phone just to have enough space to run an update. But I see where the frustration comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

flavor posted:

The nerve of them getting rid of 32 GB and offering 64 at the same price. They should just sell everything at cost!
All anyone's saying, without any outrage or hysteria, is that it likely would have been trivial, as far as a company like Apple is concerned, to make the base model 32gb instead of 16gb. It's true that for $100 more you can get tons more space, but it would've been nice to save $100 and have enough space. We understand that they've done the math and that this way will make them X more dollars, it's just an "it would've been nice" kind of situation. No one's saying anything stupid like "They should just sell everything at cost!" because that's stupid.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The Plus will only be awesome if there's software support for it. Using non-updated apps on it is brutal. Like you're using some sort phone for blind old men. Twitter was updated to support the higher resolution, but doesn't even allow landscape mode. If that's the typical developer support the Plus receives then it will be wasted potential.
It's been out for seven days.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

There's nothing in the OP about it - where's that site we can go that tells us which stores have which models in stock? Or is that just a figment of my imagination? I want to get a 64gb 6 in space grey, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than drive around town all day looking for one.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Anyone have an opinion on SquareTrade, for warranties? I only know one person who uses them, and she's had great experiences, but they've got enough complaints on resellerratings to make me assume they're a lovely company that'll leave me screwed if I ever need them.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Just setup my 6 last night, and I keep getting password prompts for my gmail account when I use my calendar or open the Mail app (I use the gmail app for mail, which is acting fine). And so I put in my password...and keep getting told it's incorrect. I'm pasting it straight from LastPass, what's the deal?

Also, any new and exciting case options for the 6? Been checking out Spigen, anybody have any complaints against them?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Do you have two-factor authentication on your GMail?
Ah, I'll bet that's it.

I have two old chargers from my 4s, and they appear to be identical - 100-240v, 50/60hz, output 5v - can I assume they're safe to use?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That's what I've been looking for, thanks. It's been a while since I had to do that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Speaking of cables, are there any good knock-off lightning adapters that are as good as Apple's "We'll charge you $35 because gently caress you" adapter? I couldn't find one on Monoprice; it's for my car, so I just need the adapter, not the cable.

various cheeses posted:

Anyone ever try those paracord-wrapped cables? Do they fall apart at the lightning plug like the oem apple ones do?
I don't have that brand, but I have one of those cloth-covered cables for my old iphone and it's been excellent. Mine has this humongous base-piece, though, that surrounds the cord where it reaches the charger, which I'm guessing prevents it from getting twisted around. My OEM charging cable is a shameful piece of equipment that's just begging for an electrical fire; it's twice as bad as this one that got ridiculed earlier (but it still works).

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

For once I'm not a cautionary tale - I tried updating my phone through iTunes and it didn't take, forced me to do a factory reset...ten minutes after I'd decided "what the hell," and manually backed everything up. I hate that it happened, but at least they make the process pretty easy.

And speaking of easy, holy poo poo has Apple figured out how to migrate you to a new phone. Went from a 4s to the 6, and I expected my apps to carry over, sure, but I didn't expect their settings to show up. Every setting. When I opened Safari, it had my old tabs saved. When I opened Gmail, it showed me the last email I'd been looking at. That's thorough to the point of being anal retentive.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Any reason why Swiftkey refuses to let me swipe words? I've got Flow turned on, it just doesn't work. I remember using it on my android and liking it.

Shouldn't Safari be using google's instant search? Where do I turn that on?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Man, after coming from a 4s it sure is nice being able to switch apps - so many times - without resetting them due to lack of memory. With ios7 I literally couldn't even switch browser tabs without having to reload.

Quick review of the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal: like it. Fits super tight, the back is textured for a better grip (although I wish they'd just made it rubber), and all the buttons work (contrary to what the reviews say - this seems to be a problem they've fixed). Only gripe I have is that the vibrate switch is buried so far inside the case that you've got to have a coke nail just to reach it. Oh, and the power button says PWR. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help on that one.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Sexy:

Darling Octopus posted:

So since updating to ios 8.1 sometimes when I try to swipe upwards on the lock screen, the touch screen is unresponsive. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yeah, I've seen that. Happened on my 6 before I upgraded, though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I just realized that regardless of the security I have on my phone (Passcode and Touch ID), it's possible for someone to simply pick it up, hold down the power button, and then shut it off. Takes about five seconds, after which Find my Phone is completely worthless in a "find my poo poo now before they get too far away" kind of way. Because of that, shouldn't powering off be something that requires a passcode? Is this an option I just haven't found yet?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

As someone else mentioned the last time I saw this discussed, this could be negated by the hard reset of holding down power/home buttons. And don't say "put a password on that too" because that measure is for when your phone is bricked/crashed a lot of times, so you can't require a password on a hardware reset feature.
Yeah, that makes sense.

spongeworthy posted:

If you interested in stopping this, there is a jailbreak solution in iCaughtU and the Pro version. It will automatically capture front-camera photos, location, and other details about your phone and send them to an email address you specify, along with regular updates if you want. It prevents shutting down, incorrect TouchID or passcode attempts, etc. and remote commands as well.
The front camera thing is pretty cool, I wonder what it would take to get Apple to build that in?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Alright, this is interesting. I was tired of having my icloud account tied to an email address I never use anymore, so I changed it. Problem is, now I've got another device, my iPad, that's asking for my icloud password... for the old email address. The one that's not tied to any account anymore. I've tried deleting the icloud account completely from this iPad, but of course it needs a password in order to turn off find my phone. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my account back to the old email just so I can log into this iPad and turn off FMP?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I hate to ask the obvious stupid question, but you didn't actually say:.did you try just putting in your password anyway?
Yeah, I tried; doesn't work. That's why I think I have to change my account back to that old email - it's the only way I'll be able to log into that particular icloud account.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

Alright, this is interesting. I was tired of having my icloud account tied to an email address I never use anymore, so I changed it. Problem is, now I've got another device, my iPad, that's asking for my icloud password... for the old email address. The one that's not tied to any account anymore. I've tried deleting the icloud account completely from this iPad, but of course it needs a password in order to turn off find my phone. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my account back to the old email just so I can log into this iPad and turn off FMP?
So I figured out, there is no easier way that I can find to do this. You have to go into every device and turn off Find My Phone, then change your account at icloud.com, then go back into every device and log back in. If you skip a device you'll be blocked from downloading/updating any apps, plus whatever else you do with your icloud account.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've put "do not disturb" on for this text message conversation on my phone, but the messages keep streaming across my (lock) screen as it sits here on my desk. What does "do not disturb" mean, if it can't prevent this crap from constantly popping up? I don't want to turn off all text notifications, just ones for this thread. Does DND only prevent it from vibrating or making a sound?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Feenix posted:

It means no sound between hours x and y.
Well that's some worthless poo poo.

Roobsa posted:

Why when I double tap the home button does this happen?
It's Apple's five-minutes-before-iphone-6-launch answer to the question "But what about people who can't reach the top of the screen?"

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Iphone connected to computer, itunes open. When I select a song in itunes and drag it, the left column opens up and iphone is one of the options. But I can't drag anything to it. What's the problem?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Cawd Rud posted:

Is the "Manually manage music" checkbox checked for your iPhone?
No, because in order to do that it tells me it's going to erase all the media on my entire iphone. I mean who the hell would want to do that? I'm not asking it to sync with this computer, just transfer some songs that are on it. This computer is one of the five authorized through itunes, I'm having a hard time seeing why this is so complicated.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 25, 2014

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Every month or so I'll plug my iphone in and tell it to backup to itunes. And every time it asks me whether or not I want to back up my apps - that only those apps that are backed up will be restored. Fine, I say yes. But if I backup my phone on December 15, with my apps, and then back it up again on January 15, with all those same apps plus one new one, shouldn't it be smart enough to know that apps-wise the phone is identical (plus one) to what it was a month ago? Why am I sitting here for 20 minutes, waiting for it to back up a bunch of apps it should already have backed up?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

trilljester posted:

I -think- it might be related to updates to those apps.
Ah, that makes sense, I hadn't thought about updates.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

ITunes got so unmanageable that it was worth the $25 for Match just to have a way to get my music on my phone. Every time I try to synch via iTunes it threatens to erase my whole Phone, and I'm like "well gently caress you then" and I just give up again.

Question: I'm using Swype and too much of the time when I pull down to search using Spotlight, I get the search box but no keyboard. Only way to fix it is to open some app that uses the Swype keyboard (like notepad or something), then close it and go back to spotlight. Is anyone else getting this, and know how to fix it? This app has been out now for about four months, isn't that enough time for them to figure out how to fix it?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

There's a mac program out there for finding free space and clearing poo poo off your phone. Cache, log files, etc - if you only use it once in a while it's really effective. Anybody remember the name?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

My iPhone 6 seems to have a bad charging port - I've tried plugging it into three different cords but it's hard to get a connection. Generally speaking what's gonna happen if I bring it into a Verizon store? Will they only replace it when it's gone completely bad, or will they recognize that this is a pain and give me a new phone? Edit: or fix it, of course.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 11, 2015

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Excellent, thanks. I'll dig up a toothpick and some compressed air, if I have any.

Edit: oh my god, so much lint. So much.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 12, 2015

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I text with a couple of friends, and one of them recently switched from an iphone to android. Problem is, when were all texting together my phone keeps trying to send the texts as imessages instead of just regular texts, so he's not getting them. It doesn't happen every time, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I've tried deleting the text threads and starting over, and this works, but eventually (sometimes immediately) the texts go from green back to blue. What in the gently caress?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

My friend just plugged in her months-old iPhone into her computer for the first time and is getting hit with a "Would you like to set up this iphone as a new iphone or restore all of your information from a previous backup?" prompt. She obviously doesn't want to do either, and iTunes ought to be smart enough to know this. What are her options?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Wife has 5s, just got 6s in the mail. She doesn't use icloud because it's been out of space for a few years, and rarely backs up manually to her computer. Can she just back up her old phone manually, then activate the new phone, then restore it from the backup stored on her computer? I can't remember what's the smart way to do this.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Wow, for some reason I thought it was a lot more expensive than that. I've never needed to do it, because I leave my phone plugged into my computer all day anyway; every once in a while I just hit 'backup.' But I think we both can spring for $12 a year.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 29, 2015

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I'm curious, but how is your wife's iCloud out of space if she doesn't use it? The backup on a single phone shouldn't be anywhere near 5 GB if you turn of photo backup.
I haven't looked at hers in a while so I forget, but I think she uses some insane amount of space on Dropbox and Mail, and probably has Photos turned on too. And when I say she doesn't use it, I mean she has it turned on but gets "out of space" messages on a regular basis. She's never cared much about it so I've never gone out of my way to fix it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've had the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal for a year and really like it. Only complaint would be that the metal's so thin that you can pretty easily bend it around places like the charging port. Not a big deal, you just bend it back. Also, the paint started to wear off on the sides, but I fixed that by taking a belt sander to it. :black101: Unpainted, beaten aluminum is honestly a really good look on this case, they should offer it.

Endless Mike posted:

Why is she backing Dropbox up to iCloud??
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, so I don't know. Probably has photo backup turned on.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

So a question about iCloud. I'm looking at my backup, and it tells me the size of each app I'm backing up so that I can choose not to if I wanna. Instagram is 512mb. If I uncheck instagram, does that mean it's going to stop backing up my data in instagram (login info, cached photos, whatever else), or will it just forget that the app is installed at all? Like if I choose not to back it up and I do a restore, will instagram just not be there when it's restored? Not that I care about instagram, I'm just curious about how iCloud backups work.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I belong to iTunes Match, but not iTunes Music - I used to have an option to see all my available music, and then only download what I wanted. But now it seems like I can either only see what's already downloaded to the phone... or I can "enable iCloud music library" and download every loving thing in my entire Match library. No in between. What's up?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

You're right, and I'm a dummy. When I first did it I clicked into an artist and then the "..." menu, and saw "delete from My Music" - that, combined with a sort of flashing/jittering like it was trying to download a lot at once (it was loading my library) made me think it was trying to pull in all of it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I thought you used to be able to browse your song library for text/phone ringers, but now that option's...moved? I've got a sound file in itunes that I want to use as a text tone, but I can't find how to do it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

^ Thanks

TheQuietWilds posted:

A good friend of mine switched from iOS to Android and for some reason her phone refuses to receive iMessage chat, and I want to switch her (and only her) to regular phone-to-phone texting because my messages are just going to her laptop. I don't want to turn off iMessaging in general, I just want to be able to text to her phone without changing my global settings. I'm pretty incompetent with smartphones since I was working in a remote hospital on a small pacific island from 2007-2014 and am still sort of catching up to the modern world.
Had the exact same thing happen when a friend of mine switched to Android, and he had already deregistered his phone. I had to delete every single text conversation I had going on with him, and I might've even deleted his contact then re-added it. On your phone, on your computer, on your ipad - delete all the conversations, otherwise iMessage really doesn't want to let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Looking for a nice leather case for an iphone 6 - I love Apple's leather cases, are there any better alternatives?