Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
From Cult of Mac:

quote:

A Best Buy spokesperson told the Journal that it installed NFC checkout systems years ago, but eventually ditched them because they cost too much to maintain. Google Wallet and over services have been trying to get NFC payment processing off the ground for years, but adoption in the US has remained stagnant.

The real reason Best Buy and Walmart won’t be supporting Apple Pay is their allegiance to a retailer-owned mobile commerce network called Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX uses an iOS and Android app called CurrentC that involves the customer scanning a QR code instead of using NFC’s tap-and-pay. It’s basically a cross-platform take on Passbook. The app will be available nationally next year.

Hey everyone, once you have your phone out how about instead of just waving it near our (terribly high-maintenance!!) reader, you unlock it, launch our app, enter your PIN number, then take a photo of the QR code we give you!

And you can't don't have to use your credit cards, just trust us to suck funds straight from your checking account! Fraud protection? Sure... Maybe! We don't say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Drop tests so far indicate it's more fragile than the 5. Which was a big concern to me as soon as they released photos of the new design. Goddammit.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Dropping your phone is just something that happens despite human beings' best efforts. It shouldn't wreck your phone to drop it, and yet it does. Get a case. I don't have one, but I'm a hypocrite.

Exactly; it's thin, it's slick, and it gets pulled in and out of my pocket dozens of times per day. poo poo's gonna happen. Since the 5/5s design I've been going case less without issue, because the metal ring takes the impact 99% of the time. The 4/4s was terrible - not only was the back also glass, but the glass protruded much further away from the edge ring making a corner-hit an easy shatter. Returning to corner-hits-can-hit-glass is a terrible design move.

Obviously if I get a 6 I'll have to get a case. But I don't have to be happy about it. :arghfist:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I was in bed the other morning using "hey Siri" to send a text and then when I got a reply I asked Siri to read the message but I needed to unlock the phone. Counterintuitive for when I'm being lazy and don't want to move.

There's a setting in the Touch ID & Passcode section that you can turn on to allow message replies without unlocking.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

not that big...

Look at this dumbass, forgot to press 1 for English and now the government is gonna give his phone to some illegal immigrant. Who will probably send the monstrosity back to Mexico so the other 35 people in his family can use it as a raft to cross the Rio into the U.S. THANKS OBAMA.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Right now the thing that is bothering me the most on the 6+ is the tiny folder size versus the gigantic screen. It seems Apple forgot to make use of the enormous screen when opening folders and you can still only see nine applications per folder screen.

This means that 75% of the screen is useless when a folder is open.

Like its been on the iPad since iOS 7. It's dumb as hell but there is no "forgot," they clearly give no fucks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Vegastar posted:

When I handed in my phone they applied the gift card to my bill on the spot. It couldn't hurt to ask if that's an option at your location as well.

Didn't they advertise it as $200-$300 depending on the phone? Their website doesn't want to give me more than $100 for a 4s.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Vegastar posted:

It was 200 for everything 4 and up but the 5s, which was 300. There's a box you have to check that you've purchased a 6. I thought it ran through the thirtieth, but I don't really know. Bringing it to the store seemed way easier than the website, I'll say that much.

Great news, thanks. I'll stop by a store tomorrow then!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

syndex posted:

iCould backups don't save any user information as far as I know. Only a iTunes local backup will save that stuff.

This is 100% wrong; the only thing iCloud won't back up is passwords and stuff that app developers specifically mark as not needing backup (poo poo that can be redownloaded, like a Twitter cache). I backup and restore from iCloud on a regular basis and never lose anything. It's fine. Either his restore was incomplete or the apps without data expect to redownload it themselves when he logs in to them.

Edit: I'm just sitting here :psyduck: trying to figure out what you think iCloud backup does if it doesn't back up user data.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

The better case would be for some networking genius figure out how to get a smartphone to transparently move an established connection to a different network interface, without huge timeouts and hangs.

Tech like this exists but I don't think it's ever made it to the point of being an OS level feature.

You're looking for multipath TCP, which Apple added in iOS 7... But only for Siri. (One problem is the sever needs to support it too, iirc.) I don't think that changed for iOS 8.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Damo posted:

Man, based on the last few pages of this thread, the amount of people who use screen protectors is way higher than I would have guessed. It's amazing how many people are willing to cover their phone's screen leaving it never to be touched, viewed through a lovely 50c piece of plastic or glass, and protected for two years so they can sell it for an extra 25 bucks down the line and the next person can experience it better than they ever did. I'll never understand the thought process behind that, ever.

No more than I'll understand the thought process behind making stupid claims on the Internet that indicate you have no idea what you're talking about, but there you go, people aren't rational. Good, high-quality screen protectors are drat near indistinguishable from the glass and have been for years now. I don't use them because I don't care about a few scratches here and there, but I have friends who do and it is absolutely nothing like the "experience" you're imagining.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I have never ever seen a "good" looking screen protector. 100% of them are a streaky bubbly mess.

Did 100% of them get installed by kindergarteners? Sticking on a screen protector without getting bubbles is remarkably easy. But then it wouldn't surprise me if the $3 ones sold in mall kiosks are harder to install in addition to looking shittier, and people really do love to go cheap and then complain about it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

If you ask a stranger to take a photo of yourself and your friends and you hand them a fragile, slick, ceaseless phone they're almost certainly unfamiliar with, you're a dick if you expect them to pay for an accident like that. Because you've put that stranger in the position of either taking your photo or looking like a self centered rear end in a top hat.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

This still seems wrong to me given he only asked them to take a photo using a smartphone in 2014 (even if that is the case). It's not like someone was handed a confusing device that is confusing to understand. You hold it and press the circle and you're done. If it were some difficult to control device that had lanky proportions, it makes sense.

Seriously, you've missed all the posts where people say they find the iPhone 6 is way more slippery due to its thinness and rounded edges? It doesn't matter if someone understands how to press a circle or not you nitwit.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The picture taker can refuse a strangers phone, if they drop or damage others property is is their fault. Case closed.

They can, but they won't. Ever. There is social pressure; as I pointed out already, you look like an rear end in a top hat if you can't help out a fellow human being for twenty seconds. I've never seen anyone refuse a take-my-photo request. When you ask someone to do a favor for you for free, you're taking advantage of that social pressure and trying to hold them responsible for your lack of basic precautionary measures (a case) against predictable and common accidents is a dick move. (I too go caseless fwiw, though I don't think I will when my 6 finally gets here.)

/end of my part in this derail

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

No, sorry, I thought it was clear when I mentioned before... my wife has a scratch on her non-protected screen.

It was quite unequivocally clear. Reading comprehension is low here sometimes.

Pron on VHS posted:

Do you guys have a preference for glass vs. plastic screen protectors? Any particular screen protector you recommend? (regular sized 6)

A friend of mine just bought a Zagg glass protector this morning. He's thrilled with it so far. Lifetime warranty, like all Zagg screen protectors, so should you ever scratch or crack it a new one is free. He used their HDX protectors on previous phones and those seem to be great too.

He's actually stopping by in a few to drop something off; I'll update this post when I get a look at it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

I wanna know if that one goes to the edge. (or really close.)

As sleepwalkers said, it doesn't (though I think it's more because the edges of the screen curve rather than Zagg not knowing the right dimensions). If that bothers you it's obviously a no-go, but other than that it looks totally flawless to me. Feels perfect too. I am told you do have to be very careful putting it on.

Edit: That phone was at 100% this morning and it's barely been used... top usage listed in settings were "Lock Screen" (18%) and "App Store" (16%) and everything else < 5%. Yay iOS 8 bugs!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

If you're in the market for a screen protector, it should be noted that all glass ones are literally the exact same.

Three seconds of googling and clicking on the top 5 links seems to come up with no less than 3 different shapes and a lifetime warranty only on the Zagg one (which doesn't seem to be any more expensive than the others). Whether the material is the same or not I can't tell, but your blanket statement is clearly off the mark.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

God I am as big a proponent of screen protectors as one could imagine but the added "lines" that that glass Zagg adds are just a dealbreaker. Looks like a reject from Tron. (the old movie.)

I wonder if there are any that go all the way to the edges on the new models. As soon as I saw the rounded glass on the new design I figured it would be trouble for screen protectors (well, that was thought #2 after that poo poo is going to crack so much more easily). Does anyone have one that does? I'm not going to use one anyway but now I'm curious.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Is there really no way to label your cards in Passbook/Apple Pay? I have a Wells Fargo business debit card and a normal Wells Fargo debit card and both end up with the same image and the same "Wells Fargo Platinum Debit" label. Gah.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm curious too; I also have one I might want to sell. If I can't find someone wanting to do a straight AT&T -> Verizon iPhone swap, which seems unlikely.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

So, let me start by saying I know gently caress all about iOS and iPhones, etc. My family all have iPhones except for me. My wife recently got them all on the family sharing thing. Right now, my daughter has available dollars on her account but when she buys it charges to my wife's credit card? IS there any way to change this behavior? If so it seems weird that there is no way my daughter can use an iTunes gift card on her iTunes account.

Gift card credit should get used up before any charges get put on the main credit card: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201079

Make sure your daughter is actually signed in to the app store with her account and not someone else's. If it's still not working right try calling support I guess.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Teens are actually the ones that are most likely to purchase music (digitally, with mommy and daddy's credit card, of course).

This, with emphasis on the mommy and daddy's credit card bit. And the shittons of iTunes gift cards they get on holidays/birthdays from extended family that has no clue what else to get a kid these days. I imagine this changes in college, though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Wengy posted:

I love how "Notes" is draining 9% of my battery on average even though I've never even opened the app.

It updates in the background in concert with your email I think. I had it and the mail app aa my top drains until I reduced the mail check interval.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I hate to ask the obvious stupid question, but you didn't actually say:.did you try just putting in your password anyway?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

flosofl posted:

Yeah, the CDMA crap. T-Mobile/ATT iPhones won't work on Verizon's network IIRC.

The 6's are universal now I believe.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Am I the only one who hates the loving awful new location of the off button on the iphone 6? As a right-handed user any time I'm using the camera that damned button is right under my thumb with all the phone's weight on it and I've lost track of the number of times I've accidentally shut off the phone in the middle of recording or photographing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered turning the phone so it is on top? Alternatively, stop recording videos in portrait.

Stop and think about how the phone's weight could be on a side button if I were holding it vertically. It couldn't. Seriously, your awesome username is the only thing keeping me from virtually cockpunching you for accusing me of being stupid enough to record vertical videos.

As for flipping the phone 180 degrees, it makes it impossible to use the volume button as the shutter button, and instead I have to try to hit the red dot on the screen with the same hand that is holding the phone (or with my left hand angled funny so as not to obscure the screen, but then again we've lost one handed operation).

Edit for lovely illustration:

Diametrically opposing the shutter and off buttons is beyond :psyduck: to me and I'm shocked Apple did it, but since nobody else seems to know what I'm talking about maybe I'm nuts.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 9, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Amber Alert posted:

Since I'm procrastinating on a huge paper and feeling generous, I've gone and presented you with proper one-handed technique for taking pictures with your phone. (Please do not take one handed pictures with your phone.)

Heh, that's exactly how I hold it when I'm eating and don't have to worry about dropping it more than a few inches. But its not secure enough for one handed photos or video. Incidentally, I drop my phone all the time coming out of my pocket before I get a solid grip on it, but I've never dropped it while doing one handed camera use. That grip is plenty secure.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Edit: ^^^ I'd forgotten all about that. I'll have to tell him to check...

CaptainCrunch posted:

Does anyone else with an iPhone 6+ have it crash the springboard (un-jailbroken) daily? Usually when double clicking to switch apps. It'll freeze for a bit then, Apple logo.
I was hoping the 8.2 update would smooth it out but it's still happening quite often. It's really annoying and contrary to my experience with any of the earlier iPhones I've owned.

My friend's 6+ does this about once a day now. He wiped/restored last week; prior to that, it was 4-5 times a day.

Edit2: I just texted him about the TLC thing and apparently his graphics started glitching out this morning so the phone is getting replaced already.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

You set up what email accounts you have your notes sync with in your email settings - toggle the "Notes" switch on or off for the relevant account.

The "default account" setting in the Notes settings just lets you pick which one of the potentially multiple email accounts you're syncing with is the default one.

If you don't want to sync with any, turn them all off in our email accounts settings.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Edit: ^^ WTF kind of "mishandling" causes Siri to be unable to open apps?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Maybe the update will fix Siri. Any Siri activity that requires interaction with an app (calls, texting, timers etc) works 1 time after a reboot and then just results in an Uh Oh message. I found a thread on Apple Support about it but no one seems to have a solution. I kind of wonder if it is something to do with how Apple turned off Hey Siri on the 6 with the battery case- because I think that is about when it started.

I cracked my screen the other day and just got a replacement phone with Applecare+... In the two days since then I've had this problem constantly, whereas I never had any trouble before. I can't get Siri to do a goddamn thing. I'm in the middle of restoring the phone right now, and I'll edit this post with an update as to whether or not that fixes it. If not, I'm going to demand a replacement replacement tomorrow.

EDIT: OS Restore via iTunes worked (data restored from iCloud). Give that a try.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

withak posted:

You might dislodge the tiny assembly of gears, chains, and sprockets that activates "hey siri".

I'm pretty sure mine are all intact. Maybe it's because I lost my top hat with the green googles and brass pocket watch attached? I didn't think it was a necessary accessory but sometimes I'm wrong about these things.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I bought an audiobook from the iTunes store. Just WHERE THE gently caress does it show up on my phone?

Music app only has four tabs: Music, Playlists, Radio, and Connect. No loving Audiobooks. (I've tried sign-out/sign-in which some people have said makes Audiobooks show up. Nope.)

iBooks app DOES HAVE Audiobooks section but doesn't list it there either. The book I bought also does not show up in the iBooks Purchased list.

iTunes store app only lists purchases for music, TV, and movies, despite the fact that you can also buy audiobooks from their goddamn store. I can search for the book again, and the listing now shows a cloud download button instead of a buy button, but clicking the button gives me an error that says "You have already purchased part [??!!] of this this item but it has not been downloaded yet."

Seriously, I usually buy from Audible but this happened to be like three bucks cheaper on iTunes this time. That $3 must have been the cost of making it Just Work (tm). I'm going to try downloading this on my computer an syncing it over manually.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

Is Hide iCloud Books turned on in iBooks? Alternatively, can you download it from its store page?

I don't have a Hide iCloud Books option in iBooks settings. Your second suggestion I covered in my fourth paragraph above.

iBooks on my iPad (running 9.3 beta with a newer version of iBooks) DOES show it in the purchased list (and it has a separate section for audiobooks). Even rebooting the phone and signing out/in to iCloud won't convince the phone to show it.

I downloaded it on my computer and successfully did a manual sync. The fact that I can buy some media on my device - from the maker of the device, no less - and be utterly unable to use said media without going home and doing a roundabout process through a secondary machine first is pretty sad.

I think Tim Cook was defending iTunes just a couple weeks ago to all those people that were saying it and Apple software in general was going down the tubes. I just sent him an email about this one, which I'm sure some intern will print out and use, along with all the day's other iTunes complaints, as fuel for the office furnace.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

You're running a beta OS.

Ah. It's off.

Lazyhound posted:

You're running a beta OS.

On the device where it actually works. Not the phone.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

So who else is getting the buzz/hum/grind noise on their new iPhone? Plug your phone in to charge and the press your ear against the upper backside (right about where the Apple logo is).

My friend's 7 Plus was actually loud enough to hear at a distance; I assumed mine didn't have this noise until I got my ear within an inch or so of the back, then I could definitely hear it. It's only apparent while the phone is charging. Fortunately it's far less audible from the front side (talking on the phone it's unnoticeable, though if it's silent and my ear is against the earpiece it's noticeable).

Video found on youtube. Mine sounds more like grinding than hissing to me. It's not enough to bother me but I really wonder what's going on.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Remembered it in the end. I had started scrolling through my Purchased list but that goes all the way back to my iPod Touch so there's a lot of scrolling. I wonder if I can prune that list somehow.

The normal swipe-to-delete gesture should give you the option to hide a purchase. As for unhiding (in case you want something back), iirc you have to do that through iTunes.

It'll take you a long time to do a lot of pruning though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Got my 8+ yesterday. Today it went haywire after 10 seconds in 8 inches of water. Squeezing it just a little makes water squirt out the upper left corner, which appears to be totally unsealed.

I have an appointment in a couple hours at the store... I’m curious how they’ll try to handle this. Last time this happened (with my 7+), it was because they left a screw out after a screen replacement, and even then the genius made a big deal about how they normally won’t cover water damage but that they’d replace it for me just this once (like, no poo poo, you failed to reassemble the phone properly).

Edit: It was replaced without issue. Great service!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Kid’s swim lessons.

It’s IP67 rated. A few inches of water a few seconds at a time should be no problem at all - and with my 7+, it certainly wasn’t (until they left me with an empty screw hole by the lightning port, heh).

I get that Apple can’t trust you didn’t take the phone down to the bottom of the pool and as such they won’t warrant water damage, but at the same time this is a really obvious case of a bad seal.