Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Looks like no ordering tonight gentlemen. The 10am Pacific time rumor may have been true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Out of curiosity, which cases are people planning on grabbing for the plus?

A Manila envelope.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Can see and select a color and size but no carrier.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

I am an old that just last year bought a ipod touch 128gb to keep in my car, replacing a 2007 era ipod classic. :colbert:

Same. I have two touches for car and travel.

And then I realized I have the magic SIM of unlimited free data in an old 5S so I just stream through that in the car. Really, I kept my 5 when I upgraded to the 6, transferred service to the new phone, and data just keeps working on the old phone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Loose cables in my experience are generally cause by lint in the hole. You be amazed at how much you can scoop out with a toothpick

A thousand times this.

I cleaned out my iPhone 6 with a toothpick, and now a cable can connect solidly again. Unfortunately I now also get the 'your battery needs servicing' errors. I don't want to spend $180 on a new battery when new phones are right around the corner.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rick posted:

This is pretty helpful, thank you.

I am going to try Waze next time I am driving back from Corona, CA to Tucson, AZ because both Google and Apple just can't understand what the gently caress is happening with the 91 freeway at the 15 interchange and then also have trouble committing to if it's faster to catch the 10 from the 60 or 215 N and change instructions twice on approach (including last weekend Apple Maps choosing the 60 and then immediately telling me to get off the freeway after merging on to the 215S/60E and head back to the 215 N). Probably because which way is faster is in fact probably not the same every day but it's still annoying.

Just avoid the whole 91/15 disaster entirely. Nothing gets that right. I commute regularly from OC to Redlands and fuuuck that.

Speaking of hosed, my iPhone 6 has the 'battery needs servicing' message or whatever in the settings app. I get maybe an hour of screen on time from the phone, but it can last all day used sparingly. Is it worth $200 or whatever to replace the battery at a fruit stand, or if I can manage to wait for the new iPhone 8/edition/'new iphone' just tough it out? I really don't want to spend $200 now and $1200 in a month on a new phone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With family sharing, does it give you the family member's name that made the purchase on the email receipt you get?

Also apparently with ios11 you can share chunks of iCloud Drive space if you buy 200 GB or above, which will be handy.

Okay that's awesome. Will save me $3/month when that rolls out. Hooray!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

as long as the 7S/8 has edges I cant see it being a problem.

the 5 is great for that but its too small after owning a 6/7.

I can't wait for them to be literal 2D objects.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

iPhone XS

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

One of the default wallpapers in the iOS11 GM is a plain black wallpaper.

Early awaiting the tech write up for high battery consumption issues to be to set this as the wallpaper. Since the screen will suck battery like a vampire.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah the battery on my 6 is toast and the foam is >50% occluding the front camera. I want the XxX but gently caress I probably need to do the battery replacement so that I can make it to whenever they ship units.

It's gotten to the point where half the time I go from maybe half full battery to 1% and dead in minutes and sometimes plugging into a charger hard crashes the phone. Really only $79 to get it fixed? You pretty much need an appointment at the fruit stand these days?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

In spicier news, iTunes U lectures are still available as podcasts, but from iTunes 12.7 iTunes U public courses are now not available on general-purpose computers at all.

I could have sworn there is the U app on MacOS isn't there?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bring back the bumpers!!!

That way the new phones can sit level on a desk despite the dumb camera bump.

Okay, I want a bumper case for the X.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does battery replacement at the fruit stand pretty much require an appointment these days, or can I walk in, give them $80, and walk out with a replacement phone? I assume they don't actually take the phone in back and swap the battery and give you the same phone back, do they?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What's the deal with Apple stores these days?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Palm did so many things wrong. But at that stage charging phones and tablets was even more annoying than it is now. Their conductive charging worked beautifully and it was so cool watching your Palm auto align onto the charging disc.

Before Apple had a real ecosystem, it was still possible to compete on hardware features. But that was a real brief window of opportunity that Palm/HP squandered with absolutely terrible marketing and really questionable hardware designs. WebOS was pretty though.

The Treo was an amazing, amazing phone.

I wonder how the virtual keyboard on the X is, as someone who writes a lot of emails from their phone. Siri isn't good enough for full dictation so I type a lot.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If the Google play store allowed you to transfer cross platform purchases from Apple store, I would change for the Pixel 2 XL. As it is I'm not re buying all my apps and core infrastructure stuff. So it will be an X or an 8+.

But really if google could read what iOS apps you have and gave you whatever ones also have an Android version.... a lot more people would switch. Won't ever happen.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For all y’all who think iOS 11 get a 6S hot, I’m surprised my 5S hasn’t actually melted.

All I use it for is streaming music connected via a cable to my car. It works. Sort of.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DDOS maybe? Some other shenanigans?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I still get the we’ve got something special in our asses message

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Must be a phased rollout with their web infrastructure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Website and app still closed for me

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah of course the new application process for the Apple upgrade program is loving broken. “Please wait 8 or more hours and we will email you promise kthx but in the meantime you are prevented from placing another order.” gently caress you Tim.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Remember, the email will take eight or more hours to come through. Get some sleep people.

I had to place a second order for the saddle brown case. Even though I won’t get confirmation on a phone order until tomorrow.

Maybe I should start camping at the Apple store now?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks to Apple taking 7 hours to email me that there was a problem with my order, instead of getting my new phone November 11th, it might not come by loving Christmas. WTF, Apple?

I would hate to be 'that guy' but would Apple be able to get me my old place in line if I contacted them?

Edit: nevermind, they aren't accepting chat or phone calls at Apple right now. Awesome.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am angry that I won’t be the first person I know to have a shiny new toy.
I had no reason to do the Apple upgrade plan either besides ‘hey free zero percent financing!’

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wow, Apple store support must be sick of customers like me complaining about iPhone preorders. I finally gave up and disconnected after it was clear I was going to get nowhere. They really need a better virtual queueing system that can buffer or absorb minor glitches in back end processing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Virtue posted:

where Are all the 5-6 week shipping Bros at? I for one am looking forward to daily shipping status updates.

I got hosed by the signup process for a new Apple upgrade loan plan thing, so yeah, I’m in the 5-6 week boat. Apparently some people who got hosed are getting magically unfucked.

But maybe some of all y’all will hate the X and convince me to cancel and get an 8Plus instead, so that’s good?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Laserface posted:

Why does Apple Maps still suck at recognising suburbs in addresses?

had a calendar entry with an address of '18 english street Roselands' and it totally ignored the suburb and was going to send me to an english st 20minutes in the wrong direction for where I needed to be.

You open the same link with google maps and it grabs the full address no issues.

Apple Maps seems to want '18 English St, roselands' and without that comma, it will just go to whatever one it wants to, totally ignoring the provided info.

Just wait until you try to put that address as the location in a calendar event and watch the recognized code just flip out or tie it to a totally different place (as you said still 20 minutes away in the wrong direction). And totally forget about linking locations between apps. Just don’t. Not even once.

Good times. I love the theory of having location awareness and real time updates of when you have to leave to get places and whatever but if you can’t trust it, it’s useless.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

We know they have been looking for L shaped batteries for a while. Makes sense they went with two since L shaped isn’t really viable just yet.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

cowofwar posted:

I think I might get an iPhone 8 Plus over the iPhone X. Convince me otherwise. Same internals, $200 cheaper, no revA OLED screen.

Get what you want. The 8 Plus is a nice phone. Or heck consider the 7!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Has anyone actually been able to cancel an IUP Preorder and pick one up in the store?

I was blocked by the Apple store from entering a second order of any kind, and the Apple Support chatbot (which hilariously insisted that it was a person when it obviously was not) basically told me that I would have to cancel my pre-order, wait 24 hours, and then place a new order for in store pickup.

In the time of that chat, everything went out of stock again, but I am left with the impression that I would not be able to go get a phone in store, even if I just paid cash, since I already have one on order.

I am more and more regretting trying the IUP program, but the fact that it blocks me from just buying a phone too is lame as hell.

What am I doing wrong here? I just want to go to the fruit store and buy a phone.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Having been a purchaser of the first iPhone, it feels right to get the X as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does the X even force touch? I thought that was dropped on the X?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Holy poo poo get a room you guys, or just an iOS programming and make out thread.

My X might be here this week. And my work owes me an upgrade. And they won’t also spring for an X, so that might not be good, since they are doing plain 8s not even the plus.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a case for an X. Maybe I should just put my 6 in it and pretend I’m cool.

The truck or plane carrying my phone crashed and burned or had some problem so no phone for me any more. Until they make a new one.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

How can something be so sticky and so slidey all at once?

Virgin spotted

It seriously your fingers have oils and a texture that many of your home’s surfaces lack. Try a jar lid gripper or shelf paper and see how it slides. Probably right off those too...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I wonder why they need the flood and the dot pattern. Does the flood just verify it’s a face and the dots do the mesh?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

fordan posted:

Is there an iPhone X gesture for jumping to the first page of apps when you're several pages away in Springboard like pressing the home button does on phones with a home button?

Swipe up, same gesture as home button replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

They should have named the update 12.2