Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do you want a phone that's going to be more easily operable with one hand and fit comfortably in your pocket? Then don't get the 6+, get the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone know if apple stores will have demo units out before the release day? I'm 90% sure I want a 6 (rather than a 5s or a 6Plus), but I'd like to hold the unit in my hand before placing an order.
Well they'll absolutely have the 5S but not sure about the 6/6+. But you can download the PDF from this article, cut out the figures and hold them in your hand for a rough size comparison:
http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/which-iphone-6-size-is-best-for-you-use-our-printable-cutouts-find-out-0157311/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm still rockin a flip phone. Gonna be a nice upgrade
Your mind will likely explode when you get your first iPhone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

Phone cases are retarded, live fast die young and leave a scratched up worn out iphone 2 years later when you're due for an upgrade.
But that affects resale value which always goes towards helping me pay for my new iPhone :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tab8715 posted:

The first few generations actually looked nice after being worn but id be hesitant without a case nowadays...

Has anyone gone caseless?
I went caseless with...I think my 4 for like a year and a half. It was perfectly fine until I dropped it the exact same day I upgraded to the 4S and dented the back :shepface:

And then I went caseless with my 4S for a while before accidentally tossing it onto some pavement and busting the back, which was only a $30 replacement job at the Apple Store, but after that I never went caseless again.

Does it look and feel prettier naked? gently caress yeah. But no matter how careful I am most of the time, there's still the possibility of that one freak incident that can gently caress up my phone and I'm not down with that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Duckman2008 posted:

The ATT trade in is a $200 trade in for the 4, 4S and 5 ($300 for the 5S), if you buy your phone on ATT.com or in store. Any preorders through ATT are locked in and guaranteed the trade in value regardless of phone delivery date. Promo ends Sept 30th (could be extended, who knows).
$300 for any model 5S? Shiiiiit yes, I may not be selling this one on Craigslist after all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

XyrlocShammypants posted:

How is that better than craigslist where they sell for 400 to 500?
Because I doubt I could offload my 16GB version for that much, but I'll try!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can you print from iOS Chrome now? You couldn't a while back when I was using it. I used it for a while and it was dope but I needed to print stuff and I was tired of going back to Safari just to print, so I went back to Safari for everything and stopped using Chrome. There's been nothing really wrong with Safari but I still liked Chrome better. Just wish it had printing capabilities.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had 4 iPhones over the years and they've all been 16GB models. I've always had to manage my storage in one way or another, and I've never been able to store as much stuff on my phone as I wished I could. But I pre-ordered a 128GB 6, so now I'm planning on putting all my music on my phone and hopefully having to do a lot less storage management.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

There's another way to look at the camera bump: it really drives home how drat thin the phone really is. You can quote how many 0.x millimeters thinner a phone is compared to its competitors, but put out a phone so thin that it has to shove some bits that would otherwise be internal to the exterior? Goddrat that's a thin motherfucking phone!
I was looking at some Elago cases earlier to see which one I wanted to purchase for my 6 and I was thinking that even with those cases on, that phone still looks ridiculously loving thin :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

shodanjr_gr posted:

They've stated repeatedly that the watch retains some functionality without being around an iPhone.

Cook said on Charlie Rose that you can (for example) stick music on it and listen via bluetooth while going on a run without lugging the phone with you (and the watch will keep tracking of your fitness stats in the meanwhile).

Also, Apple's releasing an API and seems to be handling the Watch in the same way they handled the iPhone once they realized the value of third party apps: Make a platform that looks good and works well at the basics, has smoothly working hardware (and fitness sensors in this case) and let third party developers come up with the killer apps. I have much higher hopes of the Apple Watch turning into a useful gadget than I do for Android Wear because the later has been around for a few months and still basically only functions like a notification proxy for your phone.
Didn't they say during the keynote that the watch would require an iPhone to function?

I mean if it actually doesn't and still retains functionality without the phone, that's cool. I still don't want one though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw something on Twitter saying if you update through iTunes instead of OTA, you don't need to free up a ton of space on your phone. I'm not sure if that's true, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't upgraded already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Maybe it was a mysterious conversation earlier in this very thread?
Oops :shobon: My bad!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

I let the new intuitive keyboard compose this post:

Hey guys please don't let the world and the rest of the best way to go back in my life.
Haha when I first got the beta, I made a tweet solely using the predictive text and it was complete loving gibberish.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AdmiralViscen posted:

Why the hell did they get rid of the camera roll? Now I have a folder with like 50 photos in it and my 300 camera roll photos are in with a thousand others on a giant grid.
Yeah count me in as another who loving hates the new photos setup. I hated it in the beta and they didn't fix it at all for the GM.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.
Every new iOS release should be about making features easier to use and more intuitive, though, and then they go and do a stupid thing like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fordan posted:

And I'm pleased to announce our newest creation, iOS 9: Large Buttons edition!

Just imagine a TouchID button on the bottom and a 1 megapickle camera on top.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes. With a normal passcode you were always able to select how often to be prompted.

teacup posted:

It really was. I guess touchID makes it pointless I should just get used to it!
No it loving wasn't :stare:

Huh, I guess I never tried to do that with any of the pre-5S iPhones I had.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

Louisiana :eng101:

e: it's terrible
I can attest to that. Living in Louisiana is loving awful and something like that happening here really doesn't surprise me at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loving Christ, I got my 6 and it's so nice. It's super thin and the display seems really huge and clear. The Sleep/Wake button being on the right instead of the top is gonna take some getting used to.

I'm glad I didn't get the 6+ because this thing looks big enough to me, to be honest. This is the biggest phone I've ever owned and it's a noticeable step up from my 5S for sure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

e: whoops, wrong thread

Something interesting to note: on my 5S, VSCO Cam appeared to run faster than the stock camera app. On the 6 it runs a looooooooot slower. Probably just hasn't been updated for the 6 yet?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 19, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was using SwiftKey for the past like 2 days and while it helped me type faster in some cases, it also didn't seem to learn how I typed at all and gave me lots of errors. So now I'm just using the stock keyboard again until I find a better alternative.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ScarletBrother posted:

Did you let it scan your email/Facebook to learn your style? That helps a lot.
Yeah, Gmail and Facebook. Tried hooking it up to my Twitter too and that didn't seem to work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, I can't wait for apps to be optimized for the 6's display. Just opened up Tweetbot for the first time and the text is a bit too big for my taste, and I'm using the system font size with the slider turned all the way down :(

Or maybe I just haven't gotten used to the size of this display yet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, I just accidentally double tapped on my home button and activated Reachability mode :stare: That was weird. Is there a way to disable that? I don't like that and I'd like to not even have that happen by accident.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Settings > General > Accessibility

I found it in half the time it took you to make that post. Use some common sense here.
Cool, thanks.

withak posted:

Just don't double tap the home button any more, it will be ok.
I wasn't doing it on purpose :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

howe_sam posted:

Huh, I've only had the 6 for three hours and I already think the screen on the 5 looks cramped.
Yeah same. I was using my 5S for Twitter a little bit after I got my 6, just to get up to date with it, and my 5S' screen seemed obnoxiously small in comparison to this one. I don't know how because this one's only .7" bigger, but man, they really knocked it out of the park with this display.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I posted this in the pre-order/launch day thread but it actually might be better to ask it here: I synced a bunch of music to my 6, and when it was almost done, I got stuck on Step 4 of the sync process in iTunes (Waiting for changes to be applied). I Googled the issue and tried a bunch of different things that were suggested (restarting the phone, restarting iTunes, deleting device backups in iTunes/resetting sync history, etc.), but none worked. Every time I try to sync now, it's getting stuck on that same Step 4.

Do you guys have any ideas as to how I would go about fixing this issue?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy god the speaker on the 6 is so loud :staredog:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kobayashi posted:

Loud good or just loud?
Well it doesn't sound distorted or anything, so I guess good loud. Louder than the 5S' for sure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeeeeeeeesus, scrolling through albums alphabetically with my thumb on the right side of the Music app and my thumb is like off the edge of the phone :stare:

Yeah, this phone is definitely gonna take some getting used to. I love it, but man, it's a different experience than any iPhone before it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iucounu posted:

Anyone else having issues syncing music via iTunes? Keeps getting stuck on a track very early in the sync process.
I was earlier but eventually I tried manually syncing one row of albums at a time and that worked for my entire collection. I think iTunes not being able to find some of the files may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure why that happened, though, because the file names/locations hadn't changed one bit since the last time I synced them to my iPod. It was only for like 1 gig of files out of 100 gigs too, and not all from the same artist or anything. Pretty weird. But deleting the albums from iTunes and dragging + dropping them back in from my iTunes folder fixed that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My elago Slim Fit 2 case for my 6 that I ordered on...Wednesday I think just came in the mail. It's real nice, just like my elago 5S case was. It doesn't add much bulk at all but looks like it would protect from scratches and falls just fine on the sides, top and bottom. It has really nice cutouts for the buttons and it doesn't obscure the headphone port at all, which is nice for me because I sometimes connect the obnoxiously thick end of this giant Monoprice 3.5mm cable that goes to my receiver, and one of the cases I had for my 5S covered the bottom of the phone in a way that I couldn't use that without taking the case off. With this, I don't have to worry about that at all.

If you're interested, it's this one in matte black from Amazon for $11 + $4 shipping:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Gmail app rules. I was using Mail.app with my Gmail address for the longest time, then I discovered the Gmail app a while back and never looked back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The Gmail app is great until it randomly stops pushing emails to you for some reason. I've found that you can "fix" it by going into settings and toggling the new emails notification off and on, but it will spontaneously break itself again in an indeterminate amount of time.
That's only happened to me a couple times, but I believe they were all when I was running a beta version of iOS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just helped my mom do something on her 4S and god drat that screen is tiny compared to the 6's :froggonk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Reachability owns
Reachability probably owns if you're on a 6+, but on a 6 it's thoroughly unnecessary and stupid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flavor posted:

Then don't use it.
I'm not :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Christ, I'm attempting to run the battery on my 6 down to 0% to power cycle it, but I've had it off the charger for like 24 hours or more at this point and it's still at 35% :staredog: