Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Damo posted:

Why bother getting upset that some people want phones with huge screens? Even if you think it's the dumbest thing in the world, who cares? Just get a smaller phone for yourself and be happy. How do other peoples phone preferences affect your life?
Eventually there won't be smaller phones. If I wanted a big phone, I would have bought one already. I understand that's what Apple's trying to prevent (people switching to Android for bigger phones/screens), but it's just unfortunate that current size phone is most likely going away. People use their phones quite a bit, so I don't see what's so weird about having an opinion on its physical form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there a way (without jailbreaking) to have tethered data use the iOS VPN connection? For example, if I connect to my iPhone to a VPN, and then tether my laptop to the iPhone, the laptop's data would be routed through the VPN connection instead of out over the cellular. Everything I can find from Google is about hiding your tethering from the carrier.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I cancelled iTunes Match, and now new music from iTunes won't sync to my phone. Am I missing something?

I first went in an synced my entire library to my phone. That worked. Then, I cancelled iTunes Match. Now, when I add a new album to iTunes, it won't sync to my phone. Additionally, I tried to delete all the music off my phone and resync it, thinking that would somehow reset it, but when I did that, the music still showed up on my iPhone, but just wouldn't play it, like how it does with iTunes Match when you don't have cell service.

This has to be a common use case, so I cannot imagine it's some obscure bug. Maybe there's just a box I'm not ticking, somewhere :smith:

Recently added on iTunes vs iPhone

iTunes Match disabled on both

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hate how it saves every pic to my roll that I take in Messages. 99% of the time it’s of something stupid and I end up having to go into my roll and manually delete it.

If I recall correctly, maybe 3-5 years ago, when everyone ran out of storage on their iPhones, Apple released an update where if you took a picture within Messages, it did not save it to your camera roll. It seems like they changed it back because everyone realized to buy the bigger phone? Kind of terrible.

Martytoof posted:

I worry that every iOS major update adds weird new things in the Music app and it’s starting to finally get to the point where it’s getting too much for me.

I accidentally created a “station” out of a song and it populated my queue with what it thought was similar. I can’t figure out any way to get it to stop adding songs to my queue unless I literally go to my library and select a new song to play, then it asks me if I want to clear my up next queue.

I also can’t figure out how to make a song just play on repeat. Used to be that’s you pulled up the playing screen and you could cycle through repeat and repeat-one. Either I’m crazy or that’s gone. I can still achieve this by going to the playlist widget on my Apple Watch and there I found the expected repeat and repeat-one options.

Maybe my use cases are really edge cases that no normal person would want to do but I feel like nothing in the new Apple Music app is intuitive anymore, and isn’t going down a good path.

You have to click this button:

I want to know, how do I get rid of the Dictation button on the keyboard? I have it disabled in preferences, and it used to not be there, but now it is and won't go away. I keep hitting it on accident, since my fingers don't expect it, and then I get a stupid pop up asking if I want to enable dictation, which I obviously don't. It keeps asking, too. It doesn't realize after the 10th time.

Also!! Why is it indenting just the first line of an email I am replying to when I have the "increase indentation quote" disable?

Oddly, if I enable indentation, it does the same thing :confused:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

101 posted:

This happened to me on a restore once. If you turn it on and back off again in Settings it'll be gone for good

Yeah, I wanted to avoid that and having to provide whatever consent it is Apple is asking for to collect/record my voice, location, etc. :sigh: That worked, though.

Lately, I’ve had to turn on/off a lot of settings to have it actually take effect. The email quote level one doesn’t seem to change no matter what. I don’t even understand. It’s neither setting, but some weird in-between that no one would want.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Weedle posted:

I'm 31 and I'm already finding it more difficult than it was even five years ago to figure new stuff out. Might just be the weed, though.

Nah, things are just worse. Why do I have to press the reply button to access my “Move Message” action?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can just swipe? Swipe right to get an archive button, left to reply, delete, or move.

To be honest I never even noticed that the bottom bar in the email app even changed until just now. The first thing I ever noticed in the new email app was the swipe gestures and it’s just intuitive for me because it’s the exact same gesture you can do from the inbox.

I suppose this works if I have the "move message" set as my swipe-left action , but why make the change? You have hidden a button off screen, yet the bar on which it used to reside is still there, because you still have buttons, because they're essential UI components. It's also more inconsistency. If I keep swiping to the left form the inbox, the email will delete/archive, but if I keep swiping left within the message, nothing happens. It just bounces back. One gesture, same context, two behaviors.

This also has shown up in Gmail since I updated to iOS 13.

You can remove it, but as soon as you archive a message, it shows back up. :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You have oddly strong feelings about this. Not updating immediately is normal and fine. I regret updating to iOS 13 in general.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t know about that. I just noticed I’m on .1.3, so I’m going to update to .3 and see what that does. Mail is really bad, which is primarily what I use my phone for. The UI redesign also just feels like change for the sake of change. I can’t think of anything that is better. It’s either just different or, primarily, worse. I haven’t updated to Catalina either, and based on the macOS thread, this seems like the right decision.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Housh posted:

I'm still happy with my 7+ but will jump on the 2020 flagship when it drops.

:same:

Especially since I can now 0% finance a new iPhone via my Apple Card. I don’t have a personal cell phone account so I cannot use the iPhone upgrade program as it existed for the last few years. They somehow made an exception for me when I bought my iPhone 7 but wouldn’t do it last time I tried. Dropping $1000+ on a phone is a hard pill to swallow.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I can’t get my AirPods Pleb to seamlessly work with my MacBook and iPhone. I have to switch Bluetooth off on my iPhone and then connect on my MBP. Then, I have to manually reconnect my AirPods on my iPhone when I want to use them again. Am I doing something wrong?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

ddogflex posted:

You should just be able to select it from your MacBook without manually disconnecting first. Then again manually select from phone when going back to it. It's still not GREAT, but better than what you're describing.

Thanks, I’ll have to try that again. I recall it wouldn’t connect if still connected to my iPhone, which sort of made sense because they won’t connect to two devices at once. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nowadays the only good thing about Google Maps is street view, and that’s getting worse. I don’t see a reason to use it over Apple Maps. Google Earth is still good, though.

edit: I’m in the US. Maybe it’s different in other countries.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Minidust posted:

+ I assumed it would lock out my phone while in use, but I could still use it normally... it bahaves similar to AirPlay in practice, so I guess the naming scheme makes sense

It did this before iOS 13, and it was the worst. Best change by far.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Notch is a lazy “gently caress it good enough” solution which is why people don’t like it on an Apple phone.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The notch is the only way to get edge to edge screen while keeping a front facing and IR camera.
I'm really struggling to understand what the notch haters want other than to have less screen for the sake of symmetry.

It's not really edge to edge, though, right? Because there's a notch. It looks bad and is a monument to failure.

:goonsay:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Certainly the best camera I've ever owned, but I gotta admit I'm not a fan of how off their colour balancing is from real life.

Like, when I first went to pick up mine, I was snapping shots in the store of the other phones, and their colours weren't even close.

Is this specifically with the iPhone 11? I have an iPhone 7 still, and the color is way more true to life than my Pixel. I took a picture just now to compare, in case it's changed with software updates. It's overcast right now so the difference isn't as extreme, but iPhone is still better.

iPhone on the left, Pixel on the right.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm not talking vs. another phone, I'm talking what my own eyes see vs. what the screen displays after taking the shot.
I understand the brightness being different, as a combination of exposure and screen brightness, but I generally expected the colors to be closer.

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about, too. Do you not see an enormous difference in color between those photos? The iPhone photos capture what my eyes see, “true to life,” while the Pixel photos are processed by the phone with no option to undo, as far as I can tell, and the colors are way off.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

As far as I know, Apple uses software rather than optics to improve their image quality, which is what Google was doing, so I wonder if the warmness/color issues are either fallout or intended. Pixel’s camera was better rated than iPhone 7’s, so it could have been something they were referencing with the X and newer.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Marklar posted:

I had looked into this as well, and from what I was told, you cannot edit it.

Which is dumb and annoying, because a lot of times it’s not even the right band.

This isn’t an iPhone question necessarily, but what would people recommend for a bluetooth speaker? I had a Jawbone mini jambox for a long time, but it died last week. It’s mostly for listening to music in my office, so it doesn’t need to be super loud or anything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Charles posted:

Okay maybe a stupid question, but aren't cell phone towers hooked into their network by a physical connection? Or do they use microwave or something?

They are connected by cable(s). But if a carrier offers both wireless and wired service, their wireless edge and distribution would be largely separate from the wired side, which is getting hammered. I'm not sure otherwise why they would offer free data unless mandated by the government, but for the same reason (give the NBN a break).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OneDrive is absolute garbage. My experience with it is corporate, so it’s possible my issues stem from my company’s policies/hosting/etc. if you have “too many” files, it will struggle to sync changes, which is a problem if you have any files or folders you’re updating several times a day.

Files are stored on your local hard drive (if you configure it to do so), but when you open the file, it downloads the “latest” copy off OneDrive, which then overwrites your actual latest file in your hard drive, and then everything you did over the last 1-3 days is gone.

It will simply not sync some files, leaving you to find it missing when you need it. Who knows how many files I have missing from when I attempted to migrate everything last year.

If there is an issue preventing a file from syncing, the interface for resolving it is terrible, essentially nonexistent. It’s reduced to a pop up window in the task bar that disappears once you click on it. The other day I had 914 conflicts. I don’t remember what I did, but it certainly wasn’t the “suggested” which was to delete the file so the cloud version could download. “File already exists in OneDrive. If these files are the same, delete the local copy.” I did they for one file, which then deleted from OneDrive :hellyeah:

I would rather pay money for Dropbox than use OneDrive for free.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's supposed to work like that. poo poo in your Onedrive folder is supposed to sync and grab the newest version available.If there's files you don't want changed, don't save them there. If you have to put them there, make sure no one else can edit it.

edit: I'm not a OneDrive or Microsoft shill. Just a guy who has waded through the depths of this poo poo for a living.

I'm not sure about that. If my local file has a modified today of Yesterday, 5PM, and the OneDrive file has a modified date of 4 days ago, 1PM, why would it overwrite my local file with the cloud file? It's not shared with anyone, and the cloud copy is definitely out of date. It's possible it is trying to download the cloud file, and then merge my local file changes into it (I've seen this happen with the file open; wild stuff), but given the sync issues (OneDrive cannot reliably sync more than 100,000 files; it will sit there "syncing" a 2MB file for days on end), I can no longer trust it with any files I heavily rely on. I wouldn't be complaining, except I synced twice as many files on Dropbox for years without issue. I don't want to turn this into a derail, so I'll just accept that OneDrive isn't for me, and I'll have to figure something else out. My company banned Dropbox about a year ago :rip:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this a recent change? The status bar info is moved into the middle of the screen with control center open.

They fixed the reply indentation in Mail. Paste still inserts a space when trying to paste next to existing text, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s too bad. I was on 13.3. I don’t understand what is accomplished by moving an otherwise stationary interface element.

Look at this monstrosity :barf:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No case crew

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I can recognize people in masks what is Apple doing??

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Recognizing someone isn't the same as authorization.

I wasn’t being entirely serious, but are you saying FaceID in fact recognizes masked faces but not to the degree of confidence it will unlock the phone?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Yes.

You can tell it recognizes the face because it does a bounce and shake.

Is that just recognizing a face rather than a specific face?

I wonder if it is actually possible to recognize someone with half their face covered. I mean we do, but we also are looking at different things like their hair, clothes, context, even how they stand or walk, which is why, I assume, we can recognize people from afar or even behind.

I still have TouchID so this doesn’t really matter to me, for now. I rarely have problems with TouchID so I was surprised to see many of you complain about it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

That image is triggering to me. I have anxiety and seeing the time when I can’t sleep is one of the worst things.

Yeah honestly when I wake up in the middle of the night I never look at the time. Similarly when I have to wake up, eg to catch a flight, I have a terrible time sleeping.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone explain this WeChat bullshit to me. It's about international money transfers? Like it's the only means to transfer money to/from China.

It’s WhatsApp for Chinese but also a bunch of other stuff because China.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

fknlo posted:

Are they supposed to just disappear into the ether after they pop up?

Or alternatively, coming back over and over? I routinely have notifications from 5+ days ago in Notification Center.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

FaceID is great and it’s no worse privacy wise than turning over your fingerprints.

Facial recognition is significantly worse from a privacy perspective. :confused:

Question Mark Mound posted:

I missed the presentation but as an XS owner the only real difference I see, even with the Pros, seems to be camera stuff?

This is the difference as far as I can tell.

I might get a mini. I just broke the screen on my 7 Plus for the fifth time. The mini seems like the same size as the non plus 6/7/8, which may have been the best size, with almost the same screen size as the plus.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Has anyone used the Apple Card to buy an iPhone w/ the 24-payment option without having their own carrier account? I don't have an AT&T account and just take the SIM out of my work phone and put it into my iPhone. When I tried to buy an iPhone X with the iPhone Upgrade Program (pre Apple Card), they wouldn't let me, because I didn't have an AT&T account. It would seem this is resolved with the Apple Card, but I would like to confirm before spending $1300 (:wth:) on a phone!

Also, has anyone used the dual-SIM features of the newer iPhones? I have a Google Pixel w/ Google Fi, but I only really use it for traveling. It would be cool if I could use an AT&T eSIM and then my Fi physical SIM, but again this seems like something that would be problematic because I don't have an AT&T account. Is there a way I can make an eSIM work without access to the account? I am not sure I'd be able to get my company to help with that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

Even the 256gb 12 Pro is almost $1400 after adding the AC+Theft and taxes, jesus christ

I got the 512Gb with a MagSafe charger and USB-C brick. It was $1,740 :negative: amazing what 0% financing will let you convince yourself to buy. If I had to pay it all at once I think would be targeting around $700 instead.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Upgraded from a 7 to a 12 Pro I'm sure there won't be much difference right guys.

Honestly I don’t think there really will be. At least not for how I use a phone. Better pictures for sure. I’m on a 7 Plus and it doesn’t feel slow to me at all. An app opening in .25s instead of .5s is meaningless. What do people do on their phones that require such performance? Gaming?

Part of the reason I am upgrading is because I would like a smaller phone. I may have held out for the mini if my current screen weren’t broken and getting worse.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have put zero thought into charging my iPhone over the last 4 years, and its battery health reports at 91%, fwiw.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The biggest battery drain I experience is while riding down the freeway, as a passenger, using my phone, especially if using navigation. Is this because at +70mph I’m rapidly bouncing from tower to tower? Does 5G make this better?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m glad I got the 12 Pro over the regular 12 because it has the telephoto lens, which is far more useful. The ultra wide lens has pretty bad barrel distortion, and the image quality at the periphery is plain bad. I’m not sure when I would ever need such a wide field of view.

The portrait mode is certainly improved over the 7 Plus, but I think the colors were better/truer on the 7. It’s funny with Live Photos, you can see how the image looks as captured just before all the processing is applied. It’s not always a success IMO.

Battery life is pretty impressive. I didn’t charge it at all from Friday around 7pm to Sunday 8am and it only got to about 10%, using it as normal.

It’s bigger than I thought it would be, but it’s fine. The 7 Plus was just on the cusp of being too big for me. I think the mini might be the perfect size, especially with the full-screen display, but I’d really want a mini Pro which maybe they’ll make next go around.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So I went 7 straight days (don't ask) with no charger for my XR. Started out with a full charge (rated 90%) and put it in low power mode. Browsing forums as usual but no games :( by the end I was down to less than 10%. Never again. So I ask the thread again, does anyone have a recommendation for a third-party charger case that doesn't suck. I had one but the lightning port stopped doing data for some reason and I had to bin it. Amazon's "rebuy" suggestion is one of those asymmetric ones with the fat rear end because well they're Amazon.

Probably a shot in the dark I know the thread is mostly talking about the new hotness right now but I just don't want to pay $150 for the Apple one which also has a big rear end on it.

I had a mophie “juice pack” for my 7 Plus. I think all cases are garbage and this is no exception. It’s big and hideous but would give me an extra ~60% so I guess it did its job. It is not expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Charles posted:

Dual Sim support in ios sucks IMO. Maybe it's improved in ios 14 but I haven't traveled for obvious reasons. Not that android was perfect, but at least I can select which one in using to text somebody.

I can’t get my eSIM to actually work, but I believe it gives you the option to set preferred phone on a per contact basis, and you can change it when you dial out as well. I am not sure if you can change pick it when texting.