Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SourKraut posted:

Have any other phones done downsampling in the past? Could give some slight insight into how performance may be. So far the only reference I have found is Ars' comment about choppiness of the UI relative to the 6, with no other real comment on it.

No phones no (what Android does with target sizes is something different). But Apple does it with the Macbook Pro Retina if you use a resolution higher than 1/4th of the physical pixel resolution. Performance hit there is minimal, but we're talking about a top-of-the-line i5/i7 there, so I doubt it is really comparable.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DarkJC posted:

He means the new "reachability" mode (which shifts the screen down) is a double touch of the home button, not a double press (which is still used to get into the app switcher)

The Home button is really geting crowded with all the different ways you have to interact with it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hotsauce posted:

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

Welcome to the world of Stockholm syndrome folks. I recommend finding an institutionalized Android goon to help you through the stages of denial. We've all been there. Soon the 6+ will look too small and you will wonder what happened to reality.

Depends a lot on the trousers - fat guy pants shouldn't be an issue, skinny jeans are. It won't fit in the shirt pocket (my Moto X does, so the slightly bigger iPhone 6 should do) but will in those of a jacket (if you don't mind the worse look).
Also, big phones sell well to women, who more often than not don't even have the luxury of real trousers pockets and carry the phone in the purse, where the additional size isn't really relevant, but the gained interaction space is. I wouldn't be very surprised if Apple actually sells more iPhone 6+ to women than men.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TJChap2840 posted:

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this.

I wholeheartedly agree that putting a phone in your back pocket and sitting on it all day is a bad idea, but front pocket?

It heats up your balls making your little swimmers dead! Which is stupid, unless you run benchmarks the whole day in your pocket.