Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

You were obviously not there for the iPhone 4 launch, or you live in the middle of nowhere. At Apple's flagship store in Atlanta, I got in line around 5:30am and didn't get mine until nearly 16 hours later.

Apple did feed us and I was there with friends, and it was a nice summer launch, but 6/22/10 never forget.

God I remember that day. Went early so I could pick it up before work (I had it reserved) and I had to give up and head to work at 8:45. Went during lunch and gave up again, and then finally waited for 3 hours after work. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

If it's the same gold as the 5s then it's quite pretty. It's more of a champagne color, it's not garish or anything. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought it might be a little too much "bling" but it really isn't.

However the iPhone 6 is bigger and has a different design so I don't know if it's going to look good or not...

I think it looks really nice. But I'm Arab. (Still ordered the space grey)

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

The first few generations actually looked nice after being worn but id be hesitant without a case nowadays...

Has anyone gone caseless?

Caseless and AppleCare-less since the original iphone. Buying a new phone isn't going to put me on the streets at this point in my life and even if I need to replace it, I've saved more than the cost of a new phone over the years.*

*the 5s was the first generation I skipped and I had to buy a refurb from apple in July for like $250+ to replace it. It was a lock button defect that affected certain ATT phones. There was a recall for it but apparently my serial number not included on the recall. (Such bullshit, but 250 for effectively a new phone isn't too bad)

Yea there are occasional scuffs on my phone after a year of use but even a scuffed caseless phone looks nicer than a phone with the nicest case.

I always end up handing down my phone to someone for free so not really concerned with how it affects resale.

Now that I've said all that, I'm going to break my 6 in a week. Thanks rear end in a top hat.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I don't understand the outrage on the storage. I was getting the 64GB model before the announcement, and now I am getting the 128GB for the same price I would have paid. 64GB for free, whats the problem?

Yea being saddled with a 16GB iPhone sucks, but then don't buy it. Problem Solved. 100 bucks more gets you a real storage option as opposed to the 32GB half measure of previous years.
If 100 bucks is that much of a deal breaker then people need to reconsider whether or not they can afford a smartphone and 60-80 bucks a month for a plan.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Is it :tinfoil: to be hesitant to give swiftkey access to my gmail account? I am dubious to give a free app that access. What is their revenue stream other then selling my info to marketers?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Aggro posted:

My fiance is trying to upgrade to iOS 8, and we're having all sorts of issues. First, the update failed to install, so she had to restore from a backup. Now, iTunes wants her to put a password in, but she's never encrypted a backup before. She's tried every password she's ever used, and nothing had worked. We also just discovered that there's a random email associated with her account that she's never used. Any ideas on what she can do to get her data back?

Did she buy her phone used? Maybe it is reverting back to its first account holder.

Either that or she is living a double life and now she is playing dumb. I think it's time to water board.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
MacRumors is aflutter with talk about their phones bending in their pocket. Some idiots are even calling other people idiots for putting their phones in their pockets. As someone who doesn't have their phone yet is this a real issue or just MacRumors being MacRumors? Anyone have their phones bend in their pocket? It seems to be more prevalent in the 6+.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

thepokey posted:

So far my 6 has been running like a dream since I got it but with one thing I can not work out. Every so often, seemingly completely randomly it will vibrate like a notification ... like I was getting a text or something. But I can not work out what it is. It isn't texts, emails etc... I tried shutting all apps down. Turning off all notifications. Yet sometimes I'll just have it buzz and I can not work out what the hell it is.

Maybe you have repeat alerts turn on. I think it is on by default.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think you're safe as long as you don't do dumb things like drive for 8 hours with your giant phone in your pocket.

C'mon maaaaaan! Sitting with a phone in your front pocket for extended hours is a fair use case. "don't sit with it that way" is even more ridiculous than "don't hold it that way."
If he sat with it in his BACK pocket for 8 hours I'm with you, thats just dumb, But to have it bend while it is sitting on your lap is bad design. Its a phone for fucks sake. (again assuming the guys story is true)

thepokey posted:

How do you turn that off? Shouldn't that be turned off when notifications are turned off anyways?

Yea one would think if notifications are off then it wouldn't repeat. Either way you can set the repeat notification function to "never" in notificiations-->your specific app

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Begby posted:

I just store my phone in the front of my pants right over my dick. As long as I keep my boner up, I can be sure that my phone will be safe and sound and won't bend.

If you are a chick I guess you can't have a 6 plus.

But that would make it bend slightly to the right :smith:

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

Not sure about you guys but my phone rests on my leg in my pocket and not in a pocket covering my balls. Also I'm guessing it's bad to wear pants in direct sunlight because it'll make them heat up and kill my swimmers.

Sounds like a selling point.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I have a confession, when I would travel I would put my iPod in a sock. Not an Apple Sock™, like a regular, clean sock.

It never bent

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I am thoroughly impressed with that lovely 2 dollar Chinese case posted a while ago. Two dollars, delivered in like a week and the build quality is impressive. (For the price)

I don't use cases but I could see myself using this one at like disneyland, put my annual pass and driver license in there and just use apple pay for everything. Leave the wallet at home.

Edit to avoid being a double posting douchebag: I'm looking for a small skinny sim card holder. I need it to hold a few nano SIM cards and an ejector tool/paper clip. Thinner the better. Ideally it could fit 3-4 nano sims and the holder and can fit in a credit card slot in a travel wallet.

This is the best I've seen: http://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIPRO-402-Mobile-Safe-Case/dp/B00HYFE18G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411832658&sr=8-1&keywords=Nano+sim+case but it's a little thicker than what I would like.

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2014

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

So I went out for a friends birthday last night. Literally everyone who saw and noticed my 6 asked me "so does it bend???" Or "did you bend it yet??" :|

Also I was standing next to another guy with a 6 on the subway and we looked at each other and were phone bros for a second.

Was his bent?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hey, guys! My wife has an iPhone 6 and whenever she takes a picture or video in landscape mode it comes out in portrait mode turned sideways. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? She is on the latest update and is using the generic camera app. Thanks!

Dumb question, but is orientation lock on.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Agronox posted:

Is anyone else really looking forward to apple Pay? I hope the big chains like Target sign on.

Yes, but even more so when the watch comes out. And even more so then when I'm at disneyland and can purchase a churro with my wrist. That is the dream.

EDIT: quoted the wrong person like a dumb. Twice.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Anyone else's Touch ID randomly deciding not to work? I want to say it started with 8.0.2 but it could have always been there (I only had my phone a few days before 8.0.2).

Basically 80% of the time it works everytime. The other 20% well...not so much. (It just keeps saying try again until it sighs and says "you know what, just give me your password")

Is it the end of the world? No. But it is a big enough problem to where I don't want to look like a douchebag whipping out my phone to buy a 20 mcnugget (or whatever goony goon purchase i am making) and have it error out on me.

I don't think it is a problem with the sensor, because like I said above it works better than sex panther.

I have my main thumb saved twice, the reject thumb saved once and my two index fingers saved and they all have about the same success rate.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Evis posted:

https://twitter.com/drandersgs/status/1039270646243414016

Is there a thread for iTunes? This is garbage.

They really need to work out what digital ownership means. I can’t believe that in 2018 this licensing bullshit still happens.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I’ve gone caseless for every iPhone since the first. I figure Apple care replacement costs are cheap enough for broken screens and I don’t care about superficial scratches or resale value.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

They should offer or allow for multiple sizes / custom sizes of silicone earpieces like Eymotic used to, spruce up speaker quality, and then it'd be God's perfect wireless headphones..

When they do that I’ll jump in. I must have hosed up ears because Apple headphones simply don’t fit.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Something Offal posted:

For the shower with phone people, do you guys not have a case on the phone? Are they silicone or something? I have an Apple Leather case as god intended and I'd never shower with it.

God intended for phones to be naked. Read Genesis bro.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I was really worried the lack of customization would affect me but I guess my thinking was outdating, I already switched keyboards and default apps on several things. I guess Apple is a lot better in this regard these days.

We can change default apps?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Why do so many of you nerds have cats?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Macrumors forums are always so fun this time of year. I especially love the people who are checking flight itineraries.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
We should create a thread where we sperg over shipping details like they do in macrumors. Except we do it with the facade of irony.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Rick posted:

All right, that's fine. I wasn't going to but after a half a page of headphone jack discussion in 2018 I didn't think it would hurt, but I will respect your experience.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you rebutt.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Check to see if this will work for you. The dirty secret of carplay is its just an android app for mirroring video from the iphone :ssh:

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Smartphone-Compatible-Navigation-Multimedia/dp/B07HCKWDJ1

That is awesome, but how do I know if my car is compatible?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you don’t use a case, you probably gently caress without wearing a condom. Take that how you will.

Yes. Get on my level.

So what do you lose if you set up a phone as a new phone as opposed to a backup? I assume I keep my photos but lose my messages and stuff

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 21, 2018

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Dugong posted:

This reservation queue ain’t no joke.

Yea I just went to the nearest Apple store to see if I can pickup a watch since BH hosed me on my order and just turned around. There were two lines, both extremely long and I had no desire to wait in either.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Physically, the XS Max smaller *just* enough to be noticeable when holding it. It feels so much more comfortable holding it.

I'm currently watching the USC/Wash game with the Channels app, and it looks so much better than the 8plus it's not even funny.

Who were you rooting for?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not super invested in PAC12, but I had been disinterestedly rooting for the Cougs.

Awww we were almost friends.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

The worse part of Face ID is that it doesn’t work when I’m lazy resting my head on my hands or when I’m laying on my side and my face is squished.

I haven’t had that happen yet, but for me it’s the fact that if my phone is further than like a foot and a half from my face it doesn’t work. So I can’t check my phone under a table.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

Despite this new xs being objectively worse than the 6s I came from

The word you are looking for is subjective.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

No. It’s not. Anything larger than a 5 is worse and the further it gets from that form factor the worse it is. Unless you’re a sadist, of course.

That’s still subjective. The Xs is objectively larger than the 5, which you are of the opinion is the ideal form factor. That is the definition of subjective. You apparently feel like form factor is the most important aspect of a phone and that it trumps speed and performance bumps in a phone. That’s fine, but that is not objective.

Don’t make “objective” 2018s “literally”

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Totally forgot to preorder this morning. Now I’m on an early October delivery. I feel like apple usually is conservative with their estimates right?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I’d be down for a macro lens. I say don’t stop until the back of the phone is lenses and an Apple logo. And then the following year make an Apple logo shaped camera.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I have lost all of my favorited what’s app stickers on the transfer to the new phone. Life has no meaning.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Also my first time with 5G. Is it real world notably faster than lte for browsing? I’ve never thought “drat I wish the internet was faster” on my phone.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Okay. I give up and need help with what I thought would be a semi common question.

Can I put one of those magnetic rings on my wireless charging battery pack or charging pad to jerry rig it to work with MagSafe or will that disrupt the charging capabilies and potentially damage something/ burn my house down

I have an 11, and when I go to the 13 I’d rather keep my existing accessories and modify them than buy all new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

xzzy posted:

I'd put :10bux: down on this year's phones being the last ones with lightning.

Wait till you see how thin they can make the packaging when they stop including cables in the box.