Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
according to shsc you are only allowed intel or shameshang brand SSd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spinning disks are fine for movies plus if it's storage media as opposed to system whatever media then it's irresponsible to use ssd for it I reckon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I upgraded system to ssd and yes massive difference but upgrading rest would be like using money to wipe my rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ssds are fast not because flash is an inherently faster mechanism than magentic drives but because of the level of parallelisation available

so larger drives can move bigger files faster because more parallel writings and readings

this is true up to a point. what is that point

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
installing ssd as system drive was the best hardware decision I've ever made. however putting money into replacing large media drives with ssds is a waste of it

The Management posted:

seek time is the real killer for hard drives. moving the heads to the right area of the disk and spinning the platter to the right position is incredibly slow. SSDs eliminate this. for general computing this is much more significant than data throughput.

unsurpaingly yiu know more than I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or some dank nugs

• Locked thread