Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I looked around and I don't really see a thread for the discussion of current trends in tactics, strategy and match day preparation, other than one off posts in the general threads and maybe the OP of the Spain thread from the WC.

So let's fix that. In my opinion it's a great time to discuss tactics/strategy etc. because there are some interesting things going on as everyone sorts out the Post-Guardiola world (WINGBACKS! PRESSING! POSSESSION IS MEANINGLESS!) which is kinda cool. Oh wait, Guardiola is still here? Weird.

I'd prefer this not end up as a place where a) code tags are posted and b) advanced stats get thrown around, although each of these could have its place here. I would just hope they'd be used to supplement an interesting discussion.

What would be nice to see are discussions on how your team plays (whether it's Manchester United or Hereford United) and why they play that way, discussions on how leagues as a whole are playing, and discussions on interesting developments that are just showing up. That would be cool.

Anyway - First some resources:

ZonalMarking.com - Haha j/k please no, just don't. Not saying it's always bad, but urg....go here instead: http://spielverlagerung.com/

Neville and Carragher
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neville+carragher - Can't recommend these two guys enough.

I'm a big Jonathan Northcroft fan, and I know some people may have issues with the Times but w/e. He does some good interview articles. Also some of his tweets are unintentionally funny.
https://twitter.com/JNorthcroft

quote:

Jonathan Northcroft @JNorthcroft · Aug 31
Said to BR "intensity" is not associated with Balotelli. Reply: "measure him over time. No one associated Coutinho or Sturridge with that"

Kevin Gates - a bit of a newcomer but I think he has some good things to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3KHeaByfqg (a few cuss words)

To kick things off let's talk Pressing.

Pressing is a bit of a buzzword lately, but the idea of getting in on your man has been around forever. What's happening now is that clubs are really focusing on two aspects of putting pressure on the opponents - a) when it happens and b) why it happens. Of course c) how it happens is still important, but I don't want to get into that in this post (just look at the advanced stats image above, that should cover it). Maybe someone else can help here.

For a) when it happens, teams have gotten very sophisticated about when they press. Teams like Atletico are now content to cede possession with the intent of actually letting the other side work the ball into a part of the field where deploying a press will be most successful. This is related to b) why it happens, as the whole point is to absorb the other team's offence, force them into passing into an area where a coordinated team press and counter will be most effective, and exploit this to regain possession in a shape and flow that's advantageous. This is a bit different from Barcelona-style "keep the ball at all costs and then press on turnovers to get the ball out in a passing lane where Biscuits can snag it so we can continue to keep the ball at all costs" and certainly different than the all out on the ball NOW! styles some teams have deployed through various pressing techniques.

Supposedly Stoke City merked Man City last week by playing to Atletico's template, but I was too busy swearing at the screen to notice. If so, I think it's an exciting time as these sort of strategic decisions get copied all the time and I think there are worse playing philosophies that could be implemented across the major leagues.

I'm not of a great mind so this is all pretty simple high level stuff and I would imagine some posters here have a lot more to contribute. I'm sure the Suqit triangles post will make it in here at some point, can't wait for that. Maybe one day this thread could get a gem of a post that replaces it.

Earthy Ape Unit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Pissflaps posted:

One thing I do know: it all evens out in the end.

I believe the correct quote is "something something 11 men simple game and at the end [Editor's note: and this next bit is the important part] Germany wins."

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

straight up brolic posted:

I've written a few of these for money.

Fully sick posting, thanks.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Mmm this is good stuff (both the sick brolic posts and Steve messing up)

• Locked thread