Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
ASK: me about SL(2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lol no don't I don't remember any of it

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
Here's some cool fun baseball math

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use pythag' in my game to turn a 2d velocity vector into a scalar velocity

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

i remember the exact moment in high school when i understood what a derivative was. my teacher projected a plot of cos(x) over a plot of sin(x) and i saw the relationship between the slope of one and the position of the other. pretty rad breakthrough moment, imho.

anyways, i am very glad that nowadays i have computers to do my math for me.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

I remember saying "we're never going to use this in THE REAL WORLD" when I was in high school but i literally used reimann sums earlier today lol guess i got self owned

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rotor posted:

lol no don't I don't remember any of it

ur moms a raising operator

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lol at a scrub piece of poo poo that has to put the factor of 2 pi in

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ur mom gave me an affine extension

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think it's pretty cool how arctan is a transcendental function but the derivative is a rational function

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

owns

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bump_fn posted:

ur mom gave me an affine extension

baby you must preserve parallel lines because you is affine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think it's pretty cool how arctan is a transcendental function but the derivative is a rational function

idk what this means but in my game I had to use a acos2 function to get an angle from somethin or something [it made sense at thrtime] and it was like, what magic is this

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have no idea whats going on here

like i can read the words but i cannot process the symbols

fwiw i have the same problem with the unfamiliar greek symbols and it utterly cripples my comprehension of any algorithms paper

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

That book is made to be the least understandable possible for no other reason than:

Also how to read the book:

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011

rotor posted:

I did my senior year thingamajigger on plane tilings

quasicrystals are the future

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quasi jizz

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

echinopsis posted:

idk what this means but in my game I had to use a acos2 function to get an angle from somethin or something [it made sense at thrtime] and it was like, what magic is this

well it's like, you think of functions like arctan and log as smoky bullshit that you can't calculate without a table or calculator handy

but then you try to figure out rate of change and it's simple stuff. ln(4)? who the gently caress knows. 1/4? son do you take me for a kindergartener

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aren't there arbitrary precision summation algorithms that were used back in the 17th century too? They don't teach that stuff anymore.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

osirisisdead posted:

Aren't there arbitrary precision summation algorithms that were used back in the 17th century too? They don't teach that stuff anymore.

if u didn't learn how to write log(x) as an alternating series in high school get the gently caress out of yospos

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry, No. Not everyone was a special AP class snowflake. I was bored out of my loving mind in the babby tier maths because of political bullshit out of my control.

There were days where I could DO the homework proofs on the board in less time than it took other students to copy it out of their notes.

I hate your breed of pompous pretentious, "didn't do it in high school" hater. Go gently caress yourself with a cactus.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

bump_fn posted:

if u didn't use clay tablets of square numbers to calculate simple multiplication in high school get the gently caress out of yospos

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

Sorry, No. Not everyone was a special AP class snowflake. I was bored out of my loving mind in the babby tier maths because of political bullshit out of my control.

There were days where I could DO the homework proofs on the board in less time than it took other students to copy it out of their notes.

I hate your breed of pompous pretentious, "didn't do it in high school" hater. Go gently caress yourself with a cactus.

you get to stop caring about high school as soon as the post-graduation hangover wears off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

osirisisdead posted:

i said gt out of yospos not post in this thread fyi guess u failed AP english too

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found solace at the time in cheap Catholic school gurl pussy and Dungeons and Dragons.

I wouldn't trade my experiences, otherwise I might be like bump.

edit: No, they kicked me out of the AP English track because I "didn't take it seriously enough" I earned a 96% grade, though.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 16, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

I found solace at the time in cheap Catholic school gurl pussy and Dungeons and Dragons.

edit: No, they kicked me out of the AP English track because I "didn't take it seriously enough" I earned a 96% grade, though.

how old are you. is it more than 19.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
my friends, my friends, this is the math thread. it is a place of peace.

so i definitely evaluated part of a taylor series to find a cosine the other week, in my head. mental math is fun for alleviating the boredom of factory work.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

osirisisdead posted:

osirisisdead posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo, get the gently caress out of my thread

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i definitely evaluated part of a taylor series to find a cosine the other week, in my head. mental math is fun for alleviating the boredom of factory work.

srsly geometry has forever scarred my brain. ever since learning about crystallographic groups i just cant look away, everywhere are those fuckin symmetries, look at that nice p2mg, oh theres a c1m1, and a p3m1, please help me

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

the 9 is written differently in the close up what is this fraudulent behaviour

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

Congratulations on your autistim super powers

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

erm im a continuity advisor on major film productions so joke is on you

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i think i got my qr method code working for finding the full eigenspectrum of 3x3 matrices in fixed point, up next 6x6

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

sounds cool actually, but i'd imagine that you can no longer enjoy watching movies like a normal person

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

are you actually? this job sounds dope

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
of course he's not, get out of here

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

no im not but it is an actual job that people do in movies and tv because they shoot stuff out of order and sometimes have to go back to shoot some b footage and stuff as im sure youre all aware but never really thought about before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
if i were a movie director i would hire a sperg to be my continuity person; that just makes sense

of course i would probably also gently caress with him by including a train in my film which would randomly change from one locomotive to another in different scenes

• Locked thread