Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Share Bear posted:

i tried to read how to solve it and i got to the word parallelopiped and stopped that's my story

aw, it's just a parallelogram what turned into a box made of six parallelograms. like a parallelogram cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Share Bear posted:

he could've saved a lot of time if he had said cube and asked you to figure out things for a cube or sphere rather than something i had to search the internet to find what it was

well a cube is easy to deal with, a parallelepiped is something different so it makes for a more interesting example of how to approaching a thing you aren't sure about. the book is called how to solve it, not h*w*l

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Share Bear posted:

thanks... nerd

it is written for a teaching perspective, like you're supposed to know what these things are already if i remember correctly

i'm really bad at higher level math and am trying every day to get better, but i run into these incredibly frustrating levels of abstraction or assumption on the reader constantly

well, there's never been a better time to try and get better at this stuff. it's maybe not super fun to have to stop and look a thing up on the internet, but we can and that's great. it's tough when you don't know what you don't know, and sometimes you have to go back and check out the fundamentals. what kinda math are you looking at?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

monty hall also always reminds me of my other favorite non-intuitive probability question:

you meet a couple who tells you that they have two children, at least one of whom is a boy. assuming boys and girls are equally likely, what is the probability that the other child is also a boy?

1/3

1/3 boy
1/3 girl
1/3 doesn't subscribe to your gender binary

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

solution:

with no information, there are four options
1) girl/girl
2) girl/boy
3) boy/girl
4) boy/boy

since at least one child is a boy, option 1 is eliminated. there are now three remaining options, of which only one has both children being boys. the intuitive answer, 1/2, is true only if the couple specifies which child is a boy

oh neat

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

if 0.99999.... = an airplane on a treadmill transporting a helicopter on a turntable, and monty picks a door that has a blue-eyed person, who leaves the island that night if both prisoner A and prisoner B remain silent?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

imhotep is invisible

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

rotor posted:

ok so dance is important for ~reasons~ but how geometry works on a sphere is just plain frivolous. let me just write this down.

more rear end-shaking in dance than in geometry

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Brain Candy posted:

i hated the horrible reasonless memorization and it was boring

i have really benefited from teachers that go through proofs and derivations to show how everything works, and then it winds up all being connected and making sense *~WOW~*

also i am bad keeping everything memorized so knowing where a formula comes from helps me tease it out when i can't straight up remember it

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also here's a post on one of my favourite math sites:

http://acko.net/blog/how-to-fold-a-julia-fractal/

heh, you have favorite math sites. nerd

*adds to reading list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007