Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Change the stance of linemen and change the culture of players hiding their injuries, those are the two most direct ways to address this problem, both of which are massive objectives. Especially the latter, which I would say is almost impossible.

A less significant but maybe more probable one is getting even more strict about teams that clear players. Having independent doctors available at every stadium. Ruling a player out for the rest of a game for any head injury, even if they DON'T sustain a concussion.

Other ideas would be ejecting targetting players the way the NCAA does, and going a step further with a fine and a 1 game suspension, as long as it can be reviewed like in NCAA.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah didn't he predict Y2K would happen?

First yes, later no.

Also N-Day wasn't until 2015, so there's still time! And with the way Putin's acting over there, who knows what's next!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

go3 posted:

Pro-football will survive but I honestly can't wait for everything college and below to get gutted.

Yeah, more than pro football it's the culture surrounding youth/HS football (and to a lesser degree NCAA because even if it is exploitative there are some benefits) that encourages minors to ignore concussive symptoms and end up liquefying their brains. But I guess you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My fear is as we start cracking open more dead guys heads we're going to realize that playing in the NFL now doesn't really matter because after playing football from the 4th grade and into college the damage is already done.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
We should just mandate those funny looking donkey kong mode big helmets with padding both on the inside and outside

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah, more than pro football it's the culture surrounding youth/HS football (and to a lesser degree NCAA because even if it is exploitative there are some benefits) that encourages minors to ignore concussive symptoms and end up liquefying their brains. But I guess you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette!

This isn't really true at all and wasn't even 15 years ago

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Would they have to increase salary guarantees to stop players from hiding injuries?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Players should simply develop their telekinetic potential and tackle with their minds.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie
It would look a lot like the Texas Tech/Arkansas game today.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
What Would Football Without Players Look Like?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

fat greasy puto posted:

What Would Football Without Players Look Like?

Never watched a Raiders game, huh?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Sorry, I don't want to watch hand soccer.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

korrandark posted:

Never watched a Raiders game, huh?

lol good point

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

football without tackling would look a lot like the bears' run defense last year, you know what i'm talkin' about fellas

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What Would Let's Play Without Autism Look Like?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

What Would Let's Play Without Autism Look Like?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TubeStank posted:

More people need to watch the GAA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnJPTENOKk

It's like rugby, football, and soccer combined. Super fast paced and aggressive. Gaelic football rules and I wish it would take a foothold in the US.

Kerry v. Donegal are playing in the final on September 21. I'm a big Kerry fan.

I've always loved this, but obviously can't follow it here.
If you can believe it or not, I actually played this as part of high school phy-ed in the late 90's in a rural Wisconsin town of 900 because of a cool as gently caress gym teacher. It was incredible, and I'd happily watch this if it took off.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

I'd like to continue the discussion of spearing by talking about Kam Chancellor, but I'm unsure of which pronouns to use?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

fat greasy puto posted:

I'd like to continue the discussion of spearing by talking about Kam Chancellor, but I'm unsure of which pronouns to use?

The royal 'we'.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TubeStank posted:

More people need to watch the GAA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnJPTENOKk

It's like rugby, football, and soccer combined. Super fast paced and aggressive. Gaelic football rules and I wish it would take a foothold in the US.

Kerry v. Donegal are playing in the final on September 21. I'm a big Kerry fan.

There are plenty of terrible things about ESPN becoming the hideous sports monster it is today, but probably the worst is the death of televised Aussie Rules Football in the US.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Badfinger posted:

There are plenty of terrible things about ESPN becoming the hideous sports monster it is today, but probably the worst is the death of televised Aussie Rules Football in the US.

I would love to be able to watch Fremantle out here. Aussie Rules is a great middle ground between soccer and football and I think it could catch on here if we actually got some real television promotion out here.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Big Beef City posted:

I've always loved this, but obviously can't follow it here.
If you can believe it or not, I actually played this as part of high school phy-ed in the late 90's in a rural Wisconsin town of 900 because of a cool as gently caress gym teacher. It was incredible, and I'd happily watch this if it took off.

Illegal streams is the way to go. But that owns that you got to play it in school. My WI schools were all about only football and hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TubeStank posted:

Illegal streams is the way to go. But that owns that you got to play it in school. My WI schools were all about only football and hockey.

He never actually called it Gaelic Football (because you can imagine what rural school kids would say to that). It was taught and sold as "Soccer, football, and basketball" (the 'dribbling').

No one knew what it was - but you tell that to multi-sport athletes at a small school, and you'd be amazed, AMAZED, at how it catches on. Everyone thought "gently caress, I GOT this.." and it made for some amazing stuff. I didn't know for years after that it was a real game, I thought it was something he flat made up. I tried telling other people about it, and no one knew what I was talking about, and then I saw it being played professionally and it blew my goddamn mind.

• Locked thread