Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

http://youtu.be/H8dZwXnMrRU

awful.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
i quite like early u2

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thanks for the free shut album I'm never going to listen to can I just get twenty bucks off the next iProduct I buy?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

this is the world we live in, wake up one day and some poo poo music is available for you to listen to in your iDevice

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTJ4vHoYUs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Pissflaps posted:

i quite like early u2

why?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

idk why does anyone like anything?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Pissflaps posted:

i quite like early u2

yeah

anything from the past 20+ years is bad tho

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

hello hello yeah yeah yeah yeah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

me2 op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i prefer saxondale

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
same, op

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Why is U2 so popular?

Big Market: Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle-class male. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult, but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music, but the last few concerts you’ve been to were (a) too loud, (b) too crowded, (c) too foreign (you were lucky if you recognized one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred, but let’s face it: you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Product Market Fit: Then you learn that U2 is coming to town—U2! Earnest, melodic, Oprah-endorsed U2! $200 a ticket? No problem. You get a sitter. Your wife is excited—this is going to be great! You invite some friends from college to join you.

On the way, you listen to the “early stuff.” The Joshua Tree pumps through the speakers of your Lexus SUV (no judgment—you have two kids!). The harmonies soothe. The lyrics are straightforward. You recall a simpler time before car seats and prostate exams. The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face. You haven’t looked at your phone in nearly 11 minutes.

You arrive at the show and see yourself everywhere. Tasteful North Face and Patagonia jackets abound. The stands are awash in earth tones. No one is shoving. No one has a nose ring. These are your people.

Usability: The band begins with A SONG YOU RECOGNIZE! You’re on your feet. You’re drinking “craft” beer. Everyone is singing terribly.

And the best part—YOU CAN DANCE HERE! 80,000 people surround you and there’s not a coordinated movement in sight. Even the band sets a low bar. Bono doesn’t so much dance as lunge and bounce. The other guys seem content to nod and rock. All around you, middle-aged people are rocking and lunging and bouncing and singing badly. Is that guy wearing Tod’s loafers and a Barbour jacket? Yes, he is. And he’s in the zone.

The set is basically a greatest hits playlist. The band graciously performs two new songs that no one recognizes to give you a few minutes to use the john and grab another IPA. They might as well flash an intermission sign.

Even the political statements go down smooth: “Democracy!” “Fight AIDS!” How could you possibly disagree? You’re not only dancing and reminiscing—you’re spreading freedom and reasonably-priced medicines to distant lands!

And the kicker: not one, but TWO encores, the ones you know best—the ones you first heard that summer you painted houses or kissed Katie at the beach party. You’re closing your eyes now. This is sad and sweet. You put your arm around your wife. You’re wondering if Katie ever got married. A third of the crowd departs after the first encore. It’s no big deal; some of us have work in the morning! Anyway, the traffic will be better if everyone doesn't leave at once

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face.

same but with cum

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why is U2 so popular?

Big Market: Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle-class male. You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult, but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music, but the last few concerts you’ve been to were (a) too loud, (b) too crowded, (c) too foreign (you were lucky if you recognized one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred, but let’s face it: you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Product Market Fit: Then you learn that U2 is coming to town—U2! Earnest, melodic, Oprah-endorsed U2! $200 a ticket? No problem. You get a sitter. Your wife is excited—this is going to be great! You invite some friends from college to join you.

On the way, you listen to the “early stuff.” The Joshua Tree pumps through the speakers of your Lexus SUV (no judgment—you have two kids!). The harmonies soothe. The lyrics are straightforward. You recall a simpler time before car seats and prostate exams. The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face. You haven’t looked at your phone in nearly 11 minutes.

You arrive at the show and see yourself everywhere. Tasteful North Face and Patagonia jackets abound. The stands are awash in earth tones. No one is shoving. No one has a nose ring. These are your people.

Usability: The band begins with A SONG YOU RECOGNIZE! You’re on your feet. You’re drinking “craft” beer. Everyone is singing terribly.

And the best part—YOU CAN DANCE HERE! 80,000 people surround you and there’s not a coordinated movement in sight. Even the band sets a low bar. Bono doesn’t so much dance as lunge and bounce. The other guys seem content to nod and rock. All around you, middle-aged people are rocking and lunging and bouncing and singing badly. Is that guy wearing Tod’s loafers and a Barbour jacket? Yes, he is. And he’s in the zone.

The set is basically a greatest hits playlist. The band graciously performs two new songs that no one recognizes to give you a few minutes to use the john and grab another IPA. They might as well flash an intermission sign.

Even the political statements go down smooth: “Democracy!” “Fight AIDS!” How could you possibly disagree? You’re not only dancing and reminiscing—you’re spreading freedom and reasonably-priced medicines to distant lands!

And the kicker: not one, but TWO encores, the ones you know best—the ones you first heard that summer you painted houses or kissed Katie at the beach party. You’re closing your eyes now. This is sad and sweet. You put your arm around your wife. You’re wondering if Katie ever got married. A third of the crowd departs after the first encore. It’s no big deal; some of us have work in the morning! Anyway, the traffic will be better if everyone doesn't leave at once
Too Long Didn't Read LOL :xd:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
gently caress apple for doing this, but i didn't get these songs. do i have to sync my device? or did apple just stop this immediately

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

you too?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

they will show in your list of purchased music in the itunes app, if you dont download the tracks or play them then i think they disappear in october. so you'll be safe soon.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why is U2 so popular?

I can't wait to be an old white guy!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Thanks Ants posted:

they will show in your list of purchased music in the itunes app, if you dont download the tracks or play them then i think they disappear in october. so you'll be safe soon.

not for me they don't show up in the list of purchased music

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

congrats you escaped

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why is U2 so popular?

urgh, i guess the guys who grew up with punk are old now, so the next generation is thinking their own lovely music is the most important thing ever.

in ten years we'll be reading about how great hair metal was because it saved music from synthpop

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
u2 sucks if you have to listen to pap like that maybe listen to r.e.m. instead i guess? i dunno

Sweevo posted:

urgh, i guess the guys who grew up with punk are old now, so the next generation is thinking their own lovely music is the most important thing ever.

in ten years we'll be reading about how great hair metal was because it saved music from synthpop

people already literally think nirvana saved music lol

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
why are

why are U2 so popular

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
hello hello
hola

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

listening to u2 gives me vertigo

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why is U2 so popular?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

PuTTY riot posted:

I can't wait to be an old white guy!

u already are

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

tip shat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't have itunes so by extension i also don't have u2 and it's pretty sweet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why is U2 so popular?

U2 sucks but this guy probably likes electronic music and thinks his generation invented it lol

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i like brian eno

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Songs of Innocence is a bad, generic album.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
U2 only went downhill from Boy.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Joshua tree was ok, but the rest is meh

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
pop is still their worst but songs of idiots has definitely wrested the #2 spot from no line on the horizon

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
they were p good until pop and then it has all been bad

but honestly I didn't hate the new album, it's a lot less bland and general than their other recent stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Songs of Innocence is a bad, generic album.

i don't think so at all. it's all over the place and the last few songs sound the most post-punk of anything they've done in a long time. and the lyrics are actually about specific things

• Locked thread