Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
All live music is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Squinty Applebottom posted:

lol whats it like living with your level of autism
it's pretty aggravating whenever a restaurant has a live band I want to either sit as far away from them as possible or go somewhere else entirely

it's not too big a deal after college since I have less friends trying to get into the music "scene" and invite me to their lovely smalltime shows - I'd go and hang out, but was just waiting for everything to be over so we could talk like adults

and I hate hate hate that guy who brings a guitar to the party

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

also I have zero comprehension of why people record live music and put it on services like Pandora, the idea that someone would prefer that rendition to a studio version is just completely beyond me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Blackula69 posted:

lol literal autism
Honestly I think it's more this:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/06/286786987/for-some-people-music-truly-doesnt-make-them-happy

The researcher in the article calls it music-specific anhedonia and they made a little online quiz version.

Here were my scores:

The mean is 50 and standard deviation is 10, which puts me way out of "normal" for everything but sensori-motor responses to music.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fax Sender posted:

shadowhawk with all due respect i recommend you try a weed
I've never tried a weed but I don't expect this to make my brain care about music any more than I expect it to make me see new colors.

It's not that I don't enjoy life, I really do, it's just that I really don't care for music. I can recognize it (and even perform it), but it just adds no value. Hearing people talk about music is a bit like listening to a food snob describe how much better the french fries cooked in one type of oil are than the other when I can't even tell them apart. If I didn't know better I'd suspect they were just making it all up.

My preferences in music are similarly strange, when people make me answer that question I feel a bit like how someone with no sense of smell would respond when asked to describe their favorite scented candle. I don't really listen to music in my spare time at all, it's just not a thing I do. I never spent any time in my teenage years locked up in my room playing tunes. I never invited anyone over to chill out and listen to music together. I listen to podcasts when driving or excercising.

If you looked through my "collection" or youtube history for music you'd find a bunch of things that aren't actually enjoyed for their musical properties -- funny videos, comedy songs, parody music, etc. Music can still invoke emotion in me through other means -- maybe I'll have a contextual memory about that particular song -- but if I've never heard it before odds are I'll be completely indifferent. The lyrics themselves can be poetry (quite literally, since the music isn't doing anything), but I'm not the kind of person who enjoys reading poetry or listening to spoken word performances either.

One time I had a friend list the three best things in life as "Food, Sex, and Music" and I literally thought he was making a joke along the lines of "Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Doc Block posted:

some bands can actually play their instruments well (or at least decently) and can put on good live shows. so the question becomes: why wouldn't you want to hear a quality recording of a good live show, where the band was having a good time and playing their songs differently or whatever?
Granted, but why wouldn't you filter out the crowd noise at least?

I'm the last person who should be judgemental about this sort of thing but I honestly do wish to understand.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

colbylol posted:

lmao at shadowhawk's autism from the last page
Eh according to the researchers it's somewhere between 1 and 5% of the population that's like this, which incidentally is about the rate of homosexuality.

Coming out as music-indifferent is probably a lot easier though: "What do you mean you never wanted a music collection?" is a lot easier to answer than "What do you mean you don't want to have sex with women?"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

:cripes:

yeah man all those hate crimes against the music indifferent lead me to believe you're right, too bad they're not just gay which is way easier

please tell me you are just :thesperg:ing
By "probably" I meant "obviously" good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

i am in no way a repressed minority or victim or whatever the gently caress i just don't really like music that much

• Locked thread