Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'll actually be at home to watch this live for once, but since I don't actually have my tv hooked up to an aerial I'll still have to watch it on iplayer. Watching tv in the future is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Eh.

That had a great creepy atmosphere, but I came away unsatisfied. A bunch of really strong scenes, but it was less than the sum of its parts. And they really shouldn't have shown any of the Doctor's childhood. Though it wasn't as bad as I was dreading when I heard in the spoiler thread that they would be doing this.

And agreed that middle aged guy sneaking around a children's home in the dead of night has some unfortunate connotations these days.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Stealthweasel posted:

The cloister bell also starts ringing at the end which is weird if there's nothing out there, although possibly the TARDIS just got scared too.

The cloister bell is really over-used these days. It should be a really rare "oh poo poo" moment when you hear it, now it seems to happen at least twice a series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Also, what's a cloister bell?

It's the bell that sounds when the TARDIS itself is in danger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJx88JvEjAg

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it just comes across as being a dick for no reason, rather than Tom Baker style obliviousness.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

If liking silly hats is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I love the Time Lord hats, and was very pleased they returned in the new series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't like seeing the regular aspects of Time Lord society on screen. It's like watching the Doctor on the toilet.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

The discussion reminds me of something I read on some blog around the time Capaldi was cast (maybe a little while after, or maybe a little while before) and people were talking about casting a woman as the Doctor - at some point Moffat had said there's no reason it couldn't happen in the future, and some plonker on this blog was having a right whinge about "Steven Moffat's feminist agenda", which just goes to show... something? Honestly, I've no idea. :v:

Didn't Moffat say a woman playing the Doctor would be like a man playing the Queen? Which makes me doubt that Missy is the Master, as some have theorised.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

surc posted:

Is there still a general doctor who and/or classic doctor who thread? I am about to take the plunge and go full chronological through classic who and would like to have a place to talk about it.

This thread is the place to discuss the classic series, the mods won't allow a separate classic Who thread, or a separate Big Finish thread (though I guess that would go in the radio/podcast forum rather than TVIV).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was fun and good, I liked it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gordon Shumway posted:

Speaking of two parters, is there any reason they decided not to really do any this season?

Moffat is against them now, he said there isn't a story you can't tell in 45 minutes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Like last week that was another fun episode that was good, but not great. I'm glad that apart from half of Deep Breath and the poo poo looking season arc things there hasn't been anything really awful this series, but there hasn't been anything really great either.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Doug Sisk posted:

Do a lot of species have time travel? Just curious because obviously Time Lords and Daleks do, but not sure if there are lots who accidentally do it or just a few who can do it controllably. I don't remember seeing any evidence of future humans gaining the ability to travel through time, except for that single human who appears accidentally on the one planet out of trillions to be the last one at the right time to be the last one.

Captain Jack was a time agent and had that time travel thing he wore on his wrist.

But I think in the classic series it was implied that the Time Lords prevented other species from developing time travel.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Espilae posted:

So did anything come of Prior "Oscar" Marcus' attempt to make a better (non-creepy 'sex' article-having) Doctor Who wiki? Cos I just went on the current one and it's loving baffling, anything else would be an improvement at this point

You are asking if a goon project has been a success?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For about the fourth saturday in a row I completely forgot there is a new episode today. Will this be the first episode this series to rise above the level of pretty good? I think it might be.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BSam posted:

No. But there's a good chance it will the the 7th.

You seriously think every single episode this series has been a classic, great episode? I don't think anything except half of Deep Breath has been terrible, and much of it has been good but nothing has been amazing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

Listen is definitely memorable if nothing else, and Time Heist is apparently a new genre that hasn't been done before. Into the Dalek is also at or above Dalek's level which puts it pretty near the top of Dalek related episodes in the revived series.

I liked Time Heist and Into the Dalek but I wouldn't put them above other middling to good episodes like the Sontaran two parter or Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

And how is it a new genre? It was a heist story!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is that really true? I can't think of a previous heist story, but there must be something that qualifies. Certainly other stories have used heist/con movie elements before.

Edit- Thought of one, I'd say the Ribos Operation qualifies as a heist story.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was enjoying that until the egg revelation, which was just too stupid for me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am absolutely not demanding realistic physics in this show about time travel, but there is a fuckload of difference between technobabble that sounds reasonable to someone who knows nothing about physics (which is reasonable for a show like this), and the moon egg thing. It just totally took me out of the episode.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Doctor Who is not actually sci-fi. It is fantasy which has both space travel and time travel. Any attempt to rope it in with scientific law is a fool's errand.

On the other hand this is taking it too far in the other direction. Sci-fi must have realistic science? By those standards almost nothing qualifies as sci fi. No star wars, no star trek, nothing but maybe a few 'hard sci fi' novels.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

Star Wars is not really science fiction either (it's even explicitly not set in the future).

That's the first I've heard of the idea that sci fi must be set in the future. There are lots of things I would consider sci fi that aren't in the future.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

I can think of BSG and that's about it. There are other reasons it's not science fiction (traditionally science fiction is focused around the logical end use of a particular technology or philosophy whereas Star Wars is more akin to Dune which is space feudalism), but I thought "not being related to Earth specifically" would be a good enough shorthand.

Or yeah, what Raenir Salazar said.

Jurassic Park. The X Files. Fringe. Continuum. Independence Day. War of the Worlds. Plan 9 From Outer Space. The Day the Earth Stood Still. I could go on.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

I mean there's present day/near future stuff (like this episode or War of the Worlds for its contemporary audience) but not much for stuff set in the past.

So again, either alien invasions or going into basically fantasy (Fringe and Jurassic Park).

Alien invasions don't count as sci fi? What the hell does then?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

I already tried. I'd like to know what the detractors to this latest episode have to say about my point regarding mythology and epic tales' bending of rules.

Also, this derail about what does and doesn't count as according-to-Hoyle sci-fi has pretty clearly reached an impasse. Neither side is going to back down on their subjective definition.

Yes I do see the mythological angle, as others have posted it reminded me of the moon being a giant dragon egg thing from Game of Thrones. It just struck me as stupid. As a wise man once said, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

Okay, but why are you focusing on that anyway, instead of the deconstruction of the Doctor as a character, and his relationship with humanity? Which is the freaking point of the episode.

1. That's what people were talking about, so I joined in the conversation about that.

2. While the confrontation between the Doctor and Clara was very well done, it was overshadowed by the ridiculousness of the moon egg thing.

Everyone is going to have their own limits for this sort of thing. Most of the time I'm rolling my eyes at people complaining about bad science in fiction, but this episode was just too much for me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

...why?

I mean, seriously. Why was the moon egg thing so important to you? I really want to know how you went into this episode. Because the way I approached it was this:

"Okay, we're starting off with the Doctor & Co. in the orange space suits in a situation that feels way too much like 'Waters of Mars' or 'Midnight.' Either this is going to be a terrible episode, or, more likely, it's going to be making a big, important point about the nature of the Doctor and his relationship with Clara/humanity." To me, every bit of the sci-fi story was window dressing for that central point. I admit I snickered a bit at the end when the newborn space-butterfly laid an egg exactly the size as the one it hatched from, but you know what I was really focusing on in that scene? Whether or not Clara would forgive him for this poo poo, or let it slide. Whether or not this was going to be the breaking point between the two of them.

I don't think I can explain why I find some weird or silly things acceptable and some things so silly that they take me out of the episode. You've never had a moment in this show where you thought something was so stupid that it dragged down the rest of the episode? Dobby Doctor? Jesus Doctor? Farting aliens? Pavement blowjobs?

And I went into this episode thinking it could be a classic, based on a few things I had heard before it aired.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Talking about RTD I can't wait until the guy in the other thread reaches The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. He hates Rose and loves Donna. It's going to be magical.

And yeah the dilemma in this episode rang false because I never for a moment bought that the earth was ever in any real danger.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Majorian posted:

Sure, but I don't see why this should qualify, given the magnitude of the underlying point to the episode. The difference between the examples you mentioned and this one is, there wasn't much of a deeper point lying beneath the farting aliens episode.

The farting aliens represented capitalism.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Whomobile owns.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

When all I knew about this episode was the title, I had hoped it was about the "nuke the moon" plan to simultaneously get rid of our nuclear arsenal and cure global warming.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's Levine in the middle there. A fan rich enough to get the actual actors for his fan films. Poor, poor Sylvester McCoy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sethsez posted:

I really don't think they had abortion in mind at all with this. It's a "life of one vs life of thousands" argument phrased in a way that has way more baggage for Americans than it does elsewhere.

Yeah. Abortion is really not a controversial topic over here- aside from a few old conservative fossils and religious lunatics nobody thinks abortion should be banned. The last parliamentary vote on the topic had a vast majority of all political parties vote in favour of the status quo, in favour of abortion rights.

The idea of a mainstream show like Doctor Who being used as an anti-abortion soapbox is bizarre.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Except in Northern Ireland, of course, but we have been 50 to 100 years behind the rest of the country since we started.

I mean, of course there's a very active pro-life movement in the UK, but they don't really have the same degree of influence with any of the political parties the way their counterparts do in parts of (for example) the United States. It's an issue but it isn't a decisive issue in the same way it often seems to be across the water.

I was ignoring Northern Ireland, as is traditional. Yeah our main parties are pretty much united on the great wedge issues of American politics- god (don't talk about it) gays (pro gay rights) and guns (strict gun control).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So that's Helen Raynor, Rona Munro, and Jane Baker. Anyone else?

Well, I like Survival a lot. Let down by the cat puppets, and that's not the writer's fault.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Depending on whether they host the con a few days earlier next year or not, Doctor What will still actually be too young to drink next year. The guy was like 11 years old when the revival started.

This is weird and scary on at least three levels. That a ~20 year old can't drink legally, that Doctor What is so young, and that the revival has been going for so long.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's really not a good idea. A better idea would be forgetting that bad echoes storyline ever happened.

Clara has increasingly become the protagonist of this show, revealing she isn't really who we think she is would just leave viewers feeling cheated.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

After being a bland non-character for ages, Clara is finally good now so I am glad she's still around.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This episode was the best one for ages, really good stuff.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoyed that quite a lot, despite how ridiculous the whole thing was. The Doctor, Clara and Danny trio works really well.

As for the next episode preview- man that looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

dsub posted:

Can you be more specific because I'd really like to see the good side of this episode despite how caustic I've been about it. Are we supposed to like Danny or is he just there to pour cold water over everything?

I don't know if I can articulate it too well, except to say that I like Danny, and the dynamic between him and the kids was fun.

• Locked thread