Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

I'm not saying anything about episode 5.

Yes you are, apparently there's something awkward or controversial about it. Thanks for telling us all that, jerk.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that was a crummy episode. Loaded with okay ideas but for every good one there was stuff that did pretty substantial damage. Any suspense with Clara and Danny is now gone, not that there was any to begin with and while I wasn't livid with the concept of "young Doctor" like some people were I definitely feel that that got worse the longer it went. If it had just been Clara hearing that he'll "never be a Timelord", hiding under the bed and grabbing the leg that would have been fine. All of the talking she did to him was pretty annoying. Why do all these modern companions have to be shown as being so loving special. Rose, Clara, even Amy and Rory. Can't we just have a bunch of average guys/girls with no special characteristics for once? Then there were little details. "Why aren't there good hiders?" As if that isn't what chameleons or stick bugs or flounders are. Oh and pretty rude of Clara to give away someone else's family heirloom too! Oh, and I was never really scared for anyone's safety (or even weirded out by the monsters) like I was in Blink.

As for good stuff? Capaldi had some good moments. All of his making fun of Clara's looks stuff was good. I had forgotten all about that barn so the "never be a Timelord" thing really caught me off guard. The concept of the "astronaut" in the pub worked really well for me, seems like a classic moment. Clara calling out the Doctor's creepy nursery rhyme as being just that was also appreciated.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

Clara points out that it looks like the Doctor's handwriting and makes clear that he quite possibly could have written it down and forgotten, because he's that kind of person. A dream where you wake up partially and hallucinate something else being in the room with you actually is a real phenomenon experienced cross-culturally, because it's one of the ways in which sleep paralysis manifests (also hypothesised as the partial source of incubus/succubus/demon myths).

Yes, but part of that recurring dream is an inability to move (the sleep paralysis.) I should know, I had it happen once and it was scary as heck (a faceless man was feeling around my bed, put his hands on my face, etc.) Its a very scary concept and they really screwed it up and made it non-scary I thought. I suppose they probably had to excise it because a guy just lying still trying to look scared makes for boring television. I suppse that thats probably another reason why the "fear factor" wasn't there. People were hardly ever alone throughout the whole episode. If its just some kid worried about what is under/over his bed then yeah, that can be scary. But he had first one and then two adults in the room with him, so how does it remain scary after that?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I love the Clara jokes and hope they don't stop, as a matter of fact I want even more of them! Sorry it triggers you all.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why on earth would any of you guys want Blake's 7 remade anyway? You do realize that they'd ruin it, right? Be grateful for the two great and two okay seasons you got out of it which had consistent tone and characters, things that would never survive in a modern revival.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Khanstant posted:

Why would the Doctor pick out some arbitrary "normal" person as a companion? I mean, I'd be interested in seeing what some overweight, balding, office drone with no sense of humour or adventure would do as a companion, but it's fairly obvious why they always have someone exceptional be a character instead of the opposite.

They made one episode like this and it turned out so well that they actually brought the character back for another one-off appearance. Just because someone isn't "the impossible girl" who meets and inspires kid-doctor doesn't mean that they are a balding over-weight slob. The Doctor didn't pick many of his classic companions anyway. Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Steven, Dodo, Ben, Polly, Jamie and Victoria were all basically foisted upon him. The only ones that were "chosen" by the first two Doctors were Susan and Zoe. Same with most of the UNIT people, the only one he had any veto over was Jo and he didn't have the heart to fire her. The fact that the newer companions don't always work, as Clara apparently didn't last season, makes it hard to sit through when the show pumps them up as being super important either to the Doctor's backstory or to the universe as a whole.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that was them using Clara as an audience surrogate even when it did not make sense in the context of her so-called character up to that point?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Hunh, I remember Craig but I don't remember him having a second appearance. It seems I need to re-watch some Who...

He gained a lot of weight by the second appearance, so much so that I didn't even notice that it was him until it was pointed out in the show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

Oh, so you'd have no issue if he said the things he said to Clara to a white cismale, eh? :rolleyes:

If he was a preening pretty-boy with a three sided mirror? Yeah, I'd have no issue with that. And I bet you wouldn't either... :rolleyes:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The guy with his brain sucked out was chilling, more horrifying than anything in the previous episode. I felt that the ending was in some ways derivative of that one where they are stuck in traffic in New New York but liked it well enough anyway. But why did the Doctor make Clara come along on this one, it was reckless and stupid and almost got her killed. The companions HAD to come along at first because they were living in the Tardis and it would dump them off wherever but they don't have to anymore and she should have sat this one out.

Anyways, I spent a lot of this episode trying to guess the twists and think I turned out okay. I initially thought that the suicide machines were teleporters and it turned out I was right, but had been double-fooled due to thinking that Missy was going to need a body for her pointless season-wide plot. Perhaps she'll snag a brain-slug or bank customer or whatever. My other big guess was a bit more right, I figured that the bank was the architect. However I figured that the Doctor was red teaming for them, that is to say, being paid to test security by breaking in. I didn't foresee the time travel aspect and was totally wrong on the motives.

This post might make it seem like I disliked the episode but I didn't. I liked it a lot, much better than last week's.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, on thinking about it, I would agree. It's actually a strong idea, with a story and script that could've held a two-parter quite easily, and I'm sure the characters would've been able to shine through from it, too. It's one of the few bits of TV in recent memory that's gotten my heart pounding, and at the very least the cyborg would've probably done very well with the extra time.

Honestly this is one of those times where the old serial format probably would have been better for the story. I feel like a bank heist story in this style would have been a perfect fit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

The Daleks only has commentary on (from memory) the first and last episode, and it is a story with a LOT of padding. There's also a pretty :stare: moral message about the uselessness of pacificism, and the story drags through most of the stuff that doesn't actually feature the Daleks themselves. I would never advise skipping parts, especially if you haven't yet seen the story, but do keep in mind the much slower pace and the fact they were still figuring out how the show worked.

Edge of Destruction
is only a 2-parter and works out to roughly the same length as a modern day episode of Who so it easier to watch.

I really liked certain parts of the Daleks that would come off as being "weird' to modern audiences, particularly the stuff about the post-nuclear landscape in episode 1 but also in regards to the back and forth between the Thalls and the Daleks. It really did drag in the cave/sewer part, though. I think it had a very good message about pacifism and its limits, just as it had a strong condemnation of militarism and wars of conquest. The message wasn't that war was good, war was portrayed consistently through the serial as being a bad thing, it was that defensive war is sometimes necessary. Even in those cases it works to show the horror of war, portraying the Daleks deaths at the end as being a massacre with the the camera slowly panning out over a room of dead Daleks, pushed into corners and facing away from the camera.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like it reflects the Cold War mentality of the time, or - since the Daleks are basically Space Nazis - is even a dig at the likes of Chamberlain for seeking appeasement. Of course this is television so yes the Daleks really are "pure" evil, but this is also their first appearance and Ian's criticism of the Daleks for "disliking the unlike" almost immediately after saying they have to be fought because they're "not human" is pretty hypocritical.

You forget, Daleks only became space Nazis constantly going on about exterminating (and, indeed, wanting to exterminate everything that wasn't another Dalek) with Dalek Invasion of Earth. In the Daleks they wanted to conquer the planet they lived on and that was about it.

Incidentally while I love The Daleks I hate most of the Dalek serials that followed it-at least for the first three doctors. They aren't particularly good or, in my opinion, even relevant as villains in modern era Dr. Who. I wish they'd re-emphasize some of the weirder aspects of early Daleks- their reliance on static electricity for power, the fact that they're so irradiated that they're ships are like little mobile Chernobyls, that they are so blase about killing (which was what made it scary, not that they liked killing everything but that they just didn't care if other beings died.) To be quite frank I think dealing with the aftermath of a Dalek invasion would be a far more interesting story than the actual Dalek invasions we've gotten in recent years.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You hate Power and Evil? Interesting

Well lets see what we have:

The Daleks: Very good, Daleks are stars of the show but even without them there is a ton to like in the serial.
The Dalek Invasion of Earth: Daleks are thoroughly Flanderized by now despite this being only their second appearance. They randomly shout about exterminating like mindless idiots and have a hilariously stupid looking pet monster that we are supposed to be scared of. There is some stuff to like about the serial but I feel that it went on a bit too long. Its been months since I watched it but I remember being quite disappointed in it.
The Chase: Awful, utter drek. In addition to being poorly done on its own it also introduces the concept of Dalek timetravel which I'm sure made things a lot easier for the show's writers but left me thoroughly disappointed. I think this might have been when the Daleks stopped needing radiation and static electricity too.
The Daleks' Master Plan (and MttU): Really bad in the parts which were similar to The Chase, that is to say about four episodes worth of it. Mavic Chen was a much more interesting villain than the sentient trash cans. If it wasn't for him and the other humans I'd say that this was almost unwatchable.
Power of the Daleks: I actually did like this one quite a bit. It suffered from having one of those 2nd/3rd Doctor stock characters who just MUST see their plan through despite the Doctor saying it was a bad idea. Perhaps the best thing about this one is that the Daleks spent most of it not acting like "typical" Daleks.
Evil of the Daleks: A serial which started weak but had a strong ending. Parts of this one were quite physical if I remember correctly so the audio over still images format I watched it in probably did it a disservice, a shame really.
Day of the Daleks: Watched this one a few weeks ago and wasn't thrilled by it. It had interesting ideas, the time loop, multiple groups traveling back and forth, the feeling that Jo was in real danger, but ultimately I just wasn't all that fond of it.
Planet of the Daleks: Sort of a retelling of The Daleks and pretty enjoyable for it.

So I liked approximately 3 of the 8 Dalek serials witha further two being mixed bags (with the Daleks themselves often being the worst part of them.) Maybe par for the course but I feel that the episodes largely fell below the quality standards set by episodes surrounding them. Especially in seasons 1-5.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first episode of The Dalek Invasion of Earth ("World's End") is one of the best individual episodes of the original run.

Thats true, but the episode's lone Dalek doesn't show up, if I remember correctly, until the cliff hanger ending (with a great scene of it emerging out of the Thames.) It could have been any sort of monster or even just plain old evil humans controlling London up until that point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also I just watched The Green Death today and I have to say, everyone bar the military figures and the hippies come off as a child in it. The Doctor, BOSS and especially Jo. It really left a sour taste in my mouth with Jo as she goes around repeatedly disobeying directions to stay put and stop loving things up only to wander off again and screw even more stuff up. And this is her big send off too, what a poor way to say goodbye to a character I quite liked. Oh well, onto Season 11 and what looks to be a pretty important serial to boot. Sontarans (and Sarah Jane) ho!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate how loving awkward Clara and Danny are whenever I see them. Apparently they are close enough now that that shouldn't be the case so please just stop it.

Also I watched The Time Warrior today. Conclusion is that Sontarans are great, Sarah Jane Smith sucks and I want Jo back.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 28, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Basically Clara seems to be in the growing apart stage of the Doctor/companion relation, and it kind of mirrors the 3rd Doctor/Jo relationship at the moment. Ironically, those old stories were 6 episodes long and yet Jo didn't start growing apart till her last ever story.

Jo was growing apart in the serial before it too, with her very forced romance with that one Thal.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Noxville posted:

This was annoying as hell, mostly because of how wearyingly one-note it was for the entire episode.

The anti-militarism that Doctor Who rather constantly puts off is very off-putting to me, to be honest. Are we really supposed to believe that having a pro-active military is a bad thing in a universe where there were something like 30 times in 50 years where all that stood between Earth and its total conquest was one man in a silly outfit? What if the silly outfit man was sick one time or off on another planet? We'd be totally hosed without Danny Pinks and Lethbridge-Stewarts.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Trin Tragula posted:

Wait a minute, it's a surprise to you that the guy who literally ran away from his society because it was too dull and stifling, and who is constantly trying to find non-violent solutions to problems, has a problem with organisations that train their people to obey and conform rather than think and be individual, and that exist to provide bespoke violence on demand? What were you expecting him to think?

Remember, he also ran away because Timelords constantly refused to take matters into their own hands and intervene, preferring to sit back and do nothing. His arguments in The War Games (as well as most of both 3's and the original Master's remarks on the exile to Earth) point towards him wanting people to act against threats. And though he'll usually prefer talking he rarely gets through an episode without using physical force or getting someone else to do so. The only difference between him and a military man is that his army typically consists of only two or three people.

As to the Time War stuff, remember, he didn't do that to end the Time War, he did it to end the Time War in a way that didn't involve the Timelords losing and Daleks conquering the universe. Well the Daleks are back, right now, out there conquering the universe. It would make sense that you'd want Timelords around to counter-balance them. Perhaps the one saving grace is that both sides would probably want to rebuild rather than immediately resume fighting.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're missing the point. The character isn't a manchild, the people writing his characterization are. Or at least, that's what their writing makes them come off as.

You know, I was thinking about it today and this really strikes me as true. And it all goes back to that awful opener with the T-Rex. I feel like someone on staff came up with a dinosaur throwing up the Tardis and not knowing that the scale was impossible, then people just going "gently caress it, we'll do it anyway." It just strikes me as this season being really ignorant of basically everything. Like good pacing, natural sounding dialogue, basic causality, etc. Bar the Sherlock episode its like they've never seen how humans act before, either on TV or in real life.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And to finish off my thoughts on the first three Doctors' Dalek episodes, Death to the Daleks is a good one and the Daleks were good in it. Hooray for that!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Welp just finished Planet of the Spiders and with it the Pertwee era. Probably a perfect time for me to do so... I have to say I wasn't big on him at first but he really grew into the role, man was quite the Doctor by the time his third season started. Anyways, onto T. Baker.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

She explains the Doctor to Danny, but doesn't explain Danny to the Doctor (that we see). For an episode set in the middle of Clara's very life and livelihood, I would have hoped for more from the writing for Miss Oswald.

Sure she does, she explains that he is her boyfriend and a soldier, and thats literally all his character is as far as we've seen. You don't see him supporting a sports team or being a gym nut or any other trait besides boy friend/ex-soldier/math teacher. I want to like this guy but the writing is just too lovely to pull it off so far.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He wasn't evil in the show's logic, he was trying to "make the world better" by erasing humanity. He turned against the leader in the end anyway, I think.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Capaldi and Anderson are great too. The Doctor's pained confusion as he's explaining he felt was respecting humanity's right to choose it's destiny, and Danny's understated supportiveness and the hints of what happened to make him leave the army. (I do kinda wish they'd bite the bullet and have him say it, but I bet that's being saved for the finale.)

The Doctor wasn't respecting humanity's right at all. He dropped two time travelers in on the expedition which had already made its decision, when they failed to get their way they had the entire Earth vote and when Earth voted against them Clara said gently caress that and overruled them anyway. Then the Doctor showed up and congratulated everyone on making their decision. The smart decision would have been killing the space dragon and thats what I wished would have happened.

I did like Clara's speech to him though. Thats probably one of the stand out moments of the whole of NuWho to be honest. With as much time as the Doctor has spent on Earth he really doesn't have the right to go about saying "not my planet" anymore.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that bothers me the most about this episode even more than the impossibilities of the egg being laid immediately was the fact that if they let the bombs go off, the Doctor would have let them be vapourised. While I've been enjoying the harsher Doctor that Peter Capaldi portrays, that is just too far.

I was going to complain about that but looked back and figured that he must have already knew what was going to happen. He materialized after the countdown would have ended because he knew that they didn't use the nukes.

edit: Or he beamed down somewhere to watch and see what choice was made, ready to beam back up either right before or right after the bomb was set to go off, depending on what choice was made. Or any number of other possibilities, he does have the ability to pop in and out anywhere and anywhen, after all.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gordon Shumway posted:

This part at least already happened in Planet of the Spiders.

The Spiders in Planet of the Spiders were so much more interesting than the poo poo we got last night. Also for the people complaining about the physics issues, the bio issues with the spiders stunk too. Why make the specifically single-celled bacteria when they clearly were not. Having them turn out to be parasites was fine but they did not look or act like single-celled organisms so portraying them as that just makes the writer come off as a moron. Possibly because he is one?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

To be fair, there are macroscopic unicellular organisms on Earth.

There are, and they are amorphus blobs with multiple nuclei. Those things on screen weren't at all like slime molds.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

Kids love people's skulls getting melted by monsters.

This but unironically. poo poo like this was top of the world back when we were like 10 or 12 or so.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

You know, all pretense aside, I would love it if the Doctor had to deal with something truly, honestly supernatural some time.

He does on rare occasions, usually its presented as a dangerous and awe-inspiring thing and he tries running away. There was the Celestial Toymaker for One way back when, that time Two's Tardis stopped out of time back with, I think, Jamie and either Victoria or Zoe, the time when Ten had to deal with that guy who set him and Amy/Rory up with alternate scenarios and they had to choose which was real.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, since I forgot to mention it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, it was very well acted (though I have to admit that the engineer or worker or whoever he was was creepy and wouldn't have made a great companion) and I loved the setting.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So what did he do with the screw driver at the end, just magic the monsters away?

Anyway I'm curious what Mathieson's other three monster designs were. Maybe we'll find out one or two of them next season?

Also, in case the rest of this post didn't come off that way, I did thoroughly enjoy this episode.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

It's technobabble nonsense of course, but its referenced throughout the episode that he is trying to work out how to deal with them and getting closer each time. You have to accept the premise of aliens from a 2dimensional reality in the first place, but I feel they earned the resolution of "Time traveling alien genius observes and collects data, then uses it in conjunction with his intimate knowledge of controlling spatial dimensions to kick them back to their own universe".

With sound waves, because thats what a sonic is? I'm generally okay with "screwdriver as wand" but I need some sort of explanation of what he intends to do with it beforehand or it just breaks the illusion for me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I just finished watching Tom Baker's first season along with Terror of the Zygons. Are there any good documentaries or books to watch about the previous years that don't get into detailed spoilers of the rest of Baker's time?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hank Morgan posted:

Did the solar flare kill the moon egg? :ohdear:

God I hope so. This episode had a lot of moon egg level bullshit in it too, which is part of why I dislike as much as I do. There needs to be someone who goes through the scripts and throws things like that episode (and this one) out or at least forces the writers to take out everything that breaks suspension of disbelief. I legitimately feel bad for Capaldi and co having to go out there and act along to such awful scripts (setting the plot aside a lot of the writing has been bad this season too.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Eiba posted:

At first I thought it was somehow only the Coal Hill school group in a London otherwise empty of people, but full of trees.

That would have been a far neater premise. It would have been lonely and creepy and beautiful in a way that opening scene of the whole city totally was, but the rest of the episode aggressively and densely wasn't.

Honestly, when I was at that part of the episode that is what I thought too. When Danny had the kids burst through that door they accidentally walked into a pocket dimension or alien artwork or whatever (with the Doctor and the kid both already being there, obviously) and the whole point was getting out of that modelled-on-a-fairytale world without being eaten by wolves or killed by witches or whatever. Would have been a good premise and could have been a good episode but things took a turn for the stupid instead.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

And that whole, "You'll forget and make it legend," crap. No, people won't forget this. We're not living in 1750's Germany; there is (or at least was before the solar flare) a global communication network and absurd amounts of recording devices. People aren't going to forget the day that all the heroic astronauts on the ISS died screaming.

I hope that we'll get another "cracks erase knowledge" event happen sometime like five or so years after the end of Moffat's tenure. Except instead of erasing people's memories it just literally retcons some of his shittier stuff into non-existence. I hated those cracks the first time around because introducing knowledge of aliens and small bits of futuretech into the modern day setting was a good way of linking those "2050s" and such stories with the world as it already exists but deleting something like this or Kill the Moon (or the Doctor spending 500 years on Trenzalore and his name being "that guy who does stuff or something") would only make the world of Doctor Who a better place.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The cracks were a convenient way to wipe out things selectively; I never got the impression that everything was gone, just the inconvenient stuff.

Yes, but they weren't wiped out so much as people's memories of them were wiped out, I thought? I never implied that I wanted this whole era gone, nor that all of the first 3/4 seasons were cracked into non-existence. This is different in that I want to see this episode's events, the moon dragon, 11's 700 years on Trenzalore, etc outright deleted. They are bad enough that they not only were not fun to watch but they very much so lessen my enjoyment of the Doctor Who universe as a whole when I try to think of them. "Alright, they're on this moonbase WHICH IS REALLY AN EGG BASE." "Okay, Clara has to deal with a whole new Doctor, BUT FOR HIM HE HASN'T SEEN HER IN CENTURIES." Its just ugh. Its not just disliking the episode, I didn't particularly enjoy parts of Deep Breath, Into the Dalek or the "Thing Under Your Bed" episode and found a few other episodes, both classic and modern, to be bad, but because they were "contained" stories they can be safely ignored when figuring into the rest of the show. Well except for the part about Clara talking to kid Doctor in that last one. I'd like to see that gotten rid of too. Especially if Clara doesn't stick around too much longer, it would be awful to have a character who's only spent two/two and a half/three years on the show be shown as so important to his personal history.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Phil Sandifer spent two-ish years writing absolutely brilliant reviews and analysis of Clasic Who. Then, right after wrapping on Survival, he started becoming increasingly unhinged.

You actually liked crap like this?

"It is not until the start of the third episode that we begin to see the Daleks as monsters, though that is accomplished in a scene that is, in hindsight, deeply uncomfortable. Susan, emerging from the TARDIS, encounters a Thal. The camera holds on Susan as she reacts to it, finally saying that she had expected the Thals to be disfigured, but that "You're perfect." With that, the camera cuts to a strapping blonde Adonis of a Thal, indicating the definition of perfection. The degree to which this definition is Aryan is all the more chilling given that Carole Anne Ford, who plays Susan, is Jewish."

I'm going through a few of them now and many are puffed up with the worst sort of self-inflated bullshit.

• Locked thread