Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
New thread, don't like it, boom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The scene with the whatever-the-gently caress on the bed was awesome, and that horrible, lumpish, gray...thing that got revealed in soft focus when the cover came off actually made me gasp. Too bad nothing ever came of it.

Bad, weird, thrown together, disjointed, Moffatism in the extreme. Still not warm to Capaldi. Similar to other posters, find the constant negging really offputting.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

That's your opinion. It's not objective. I'm just now seeing it. I guess this means you can call me a misogynist now, if it makes you feel better, and add me to the pantheon of Objectively Wrong Doctor Who People, like Stephen Moffat and Rhyno.

In my opinion, Capaldi is playing it as "I'm an alien and I don't see Clara is attractive when she really is and that's the joke."

C'mon, mate, you're getting kind of weirdly offended and defensive about this.

For what it's worth, you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. It's not that the Doctor 'is an alien and doesn't see Clara as attractive when she really is', it's 'the Doctor clearly understands what is or isn't considered attractive, and yet consistently decides to attack Clara on her appearance'. It's not helpless naiveity, it's very directed and weirdly spiteful.

It's not 'are you pretty? I dunno', it's 'you're loving ugly'. It's really unpleasant. I mean, yes, we all have opinions etc etc, but it's pretty nakedly there in the scripting.

EDIT - I just realised the quote you quoted said exactly what I just said, so I guess I'm not adding much to the conversation. But still, there's no need to freak out, dude.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't like seeing the regular aspects of Time Lord society on screen. It's like watching the Doctor on the toilet.

Ah, but you see, according to the Virgin New Adventures, Time Lords evolved past the need to use the toilet. Since they are such a sterile and staid society, they instead bleuggfhghg

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

So to ween us off this stupid talk about Claras self esteem, The Doctors misogynists insults and how you personally deal with it....does this Clara understand that her timeline and The Doctors are intertwined? If so then why was she so put off with 12's change of appearance in Deep Breath? Didn't she already understand the concept of regeneration and how it changes how he looks due to the fact that she's traveled across all thirteen of his lives?

Timey wimey shitey writey.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This episode was great. One of my favorite in a long time.

Here is a screen cap for the scene in Pink's room.

See, that just sets off all the 'wrong wrong wrong' detectors in my brain, it's creepy and it's great. This was easily the best part of the episode.

EDIT - I mean, obviously they're mining the same seam as the Silence (big eyes, big head, classic grey alien thing) but this was done a lot better than the Silence, who were creepy for approximately half an episode and then became big rubbery jokes.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 15, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

Is it significant that the Doctor has been wrong in every episode so far? The first he got the robots wrong and made a point of mentioning it, he was wrong about the Dalek, Robin Hood, and now possibly the whole monster thing. I can't recall this happening so much previously, or have I just misremembered and it's been happening with all the recent Doctors? I would swear that others had a lot of times they didn't know but were rarely straight up wrong.

He's definitely a bit of a gently caress up, old Twelve. I do wonder if he'll eventually come into his own, so to speak, but at the moment he definitely only seems to have half a handle on what's going on.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

They all go to hell.

You know in Utopia when they go almost the end of time and for some reason there are mad cannibal people? I bet even that far in the future, they still haven't invented a toaster that works properly.

Presumably that's why they're all cannibals.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Does anyone have that quote of the write up of the Fifth Doctor anywhere? The one about him leading up to him having a battered heart? I really wanted to read it again because it was really interesting to me.

It was McGann talking about the Eighth Doctor - interview's here

http://sciencefiction.com/2013/12/05/paul-mcgann-on-night-of-the-doctor/

Although you could make the same argument for the Fifth Doctor, who also got shat upon by the universe more than pretty much any other

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Of these, which would you recommend for someone that just wants to try out radio drama (so a standalone story)? I'm also not that familiar with Classic Who but I can probably roll with it.

Did you mention you liked Douglas Adams? Someone did. Anyway, if it was you, I'd also recommend The Holy Terror. It's quite Adamsesque at points, if only his darker elements. Also it has a giant talking penguin as the companion. Just roll with it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, if you're limiting yourself to TV, maybe.

In ACTUALITY, his defining moment is his breakdown at the end of "Arrangements for War".

I was going to say the exact same thing.

For Eleven, it's for my money either the bit on the bench in The Beast Below or his speech at little Amy's bed in The Big Bang.

I'm trying to think of one for Five now...

EDIT - VVVVV Caves is just too obvious, y'see!

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 18, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

I think everyone has a different opinion. Some people dislike season 3 but I think the second half of that season is the strongest stretch in New Who (Human Nature/Family of Blood two-parter, Blink and the three-parter return of the Master). I'd say the first half though, particularly the two-parter with the human Daleks and bad-accent Spiderman, followed by the Lazarus Experiment, is probably the worst 3 episode stretch.

So basically the worst stretch immediately followed by the best.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Broadly speaking, I'd put it like this -

Series 1 - very good
Series 2- very bad (probably worst series of revival)
Series 3- half good, half bad
Series 4 - a bit good, mostly bad
Specials - all bad (yes, even WoM)
Series 5 - best so far
Series 6 - massive highs but far worse lows
Series 7 - deeply mediocre
Series 8 - not very good so far

PriorMarcus posted:

The Big Bang really is pretty incredible. It's everything a Moffat episode tries to be and, now, more often than not fails to be. Matt Smith was on top form, portraying a version of his Doctor I feel didn't really show up again after that first season with him, and the non-linear story telling actually makes sense given the state of the universe; why Moffat continued to use this trick after this episode is beyond me.

I mean, the promise at the end of the episode of a larger mystery is amazing, and it's such a shame it paid off so poorly.

I really, really, don't know what went wrong, though if I was to throw out a guess; Sherlock.

Moffat has gone down hill in every aspect of his show running since then and his flaws show through more starkly because he's no longer hitting such amazing heights in between them.

Sometimes I think we timeshare a brain.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

And his plan is such a loving dumb Peter Pan trip.

Tenth Doctor does some dumb bullshit, news at, well, ten

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

It seems like you haven't been enjoying the show as much lately. I feel like Series 8 not being very good so far is a bit much though. I haven't disliked an episode yet, and felt like the Robin Hood episode was such fun it can be held up as an example of very good.

It's just so aggressively Moffat-y, and the episode that wasn't Moffat-y (the Robin Hood one) was complete bobbins. I know, I hate fun, but it just did nothing for me. Overall, there's not been a single original idea this series, it's just the same stuff as before but this time with an arsehole Doctor.

It's also retaining (although to a lesser extent) the issue Series 7 had, which is that it feels like every episode is missing about half of its scenes. Except for Deep Breath, which took plenty of time to go nowhere. Something happened to the editing and pacing at the start of Series 7 - presumably Moffat's desire to 'slut up' the show and make it more fast paced - and I don't like it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Psybro posted:

I will forever be angry about the split seasons but even then I adored every second Smith was on screen, and Moffat wrote him to have hundreds of off-screen years in that body, allowed him to literally die of old age and then even let him come back sans make-up for his final lines. It could've been worse.

I think of A Good Man Goes To War and Let's Kill Hitler etc. and I genuinely think only of Smith's performance, a Colossus of Rhodes ankle deep in poo poo.

It's not so much that he didn't have enough time per se, it was that the writing let him down badly. He never brought anything but his A game, to his credit, but he could've done so much more with the role.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think Smith was supposed to act more scatterbrained but he didn't pull it off.

The writers seemd to either abandon or forget the 'scatterbrained' aspect of the character after the first season. Basically, he went from Troughton 2.0 to Tennant 2.0, and it was all in the writing. Instead of odd and distracted he ended up zany and slick.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It was when they started styling his hair all fancy. It's a pretty pronounced shift and it lines up almost precisely with tthe change in characterization.

Yes! This is it exactly. When he gets the ultra gelled hair and the fancy patterned jacket, that's exactly where it all went wrong.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I had a language quirk of waying "Wellllllll" before I ever watched Doctor Who and during the Tennant years it was one of the many reasons people kept trying to get me into the show. Mine's a little more like Tom Baker's anyway. :colbert:

I've been dressing more or less exactly like the twelfth doctor for years.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I had fun watching with friends, but it felt like the worst episode of this series so far. And I hate who ever mentioned that the editing was choppy, because now I can't unsee it and it's was a little jarring this go around. Specifically the scene where one moment they are standing around talking in a room and then all of a sudden they are climbing down some pipes in a boiler room.

Sorry bud :shrug:

Thought this one was ok but pretty much just that. Not much actually happened in it, and it felt more like a bunch of scenes randomly strung together than a coherent, engaging story. I actually really liked computer guy and face-change girl, though. They were pretty well characterised for what time they had.

Also

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Kudos to her for playing a teenager so well, though. Hearing her is incredible, it's like they put her into a time capsule and pulled her out when they started doing Big Finish.

As I understand it, she's an established voice actress and loves doing 'characters' - I guess her far younger self counts as one of them. You are right though, she is very good at what she does.

FWIW, though, I never got the impression she's that much older in the audios. Mid-twenties, maybe. Especially considering Hex's relationship with her.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh no. The nice lady who played Evelyn Smythe died.

I've only heard two or three of the audios that have her in them but she was good. :(

drat :(

Evelyn Smythe/Maggie Stables was the best Sixth Doctor companion, period.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor: Davros.... you actually did the dishes!
Davros: I did.
Doctor: Thank you, I know I've been on and on at you about it, but I really do appreciate it.
Davros: It was simplicity itself. I created a random teleportation matrix that plucked a human from a randomized location while simultaneously drugging them to make them a willing slave. Having performed the task, they are then disintegrated. Given earth's relatively large population and the rate of reproduction of the species, I have set up a system whereby our apartment need never have dirty dishes again. Now our only disagreement need be who operates the teleporter itself on any given day.
Doctor: ...that's... that's monstrous!
Davros: Not at all. I have made up a roster.

Haha, holy poo poo. I can hear it in his voice and everything. :golfclap:, J-Ru

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I too was about to say Memory Lane. It's really good.

I also really liked the first two Key 2 Time episodes. It was nice to see forever put upon middle aged dad Five get saddled with a charge who is generally good natured and wants to learn from him. Avoid the third episode, though, poo poo's toxic.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Bronze TARDIS control room still lives :allears:.

Alas not - that looks like one of the areas in the DW Experience's interactive tour bit. It's basically a reproduction of the console, and that's about it. It's a very small space that you walk through.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm watching series 1 on netflix, and wow, Aliens of London/World War 3 are bad. Not the story, as Aliens impersonate UK Goverment officals to destroy the planet, that's a perfectly Doctor Who style plot.

Just, what 12 year old came up with the Aliens? It's not as bad as the Love and Monsters one, but its pretty bad. With the weird DSL, Baby faces and farting.

The director for those episodes and Rose was an idiot and intentionally directed them like a CBBC series. Eccleston had him fired or something. Good for Eccleston.

EDIT I just realised you were complaining about the actual Slitheen design. I thought it was pretty cool and original, personally

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 4, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm bored of this season and Capaldi already. Please gently caress off Moffat.

This, this, this.

About the only part I liked was the end where Clara was telling the Doctor to gently caress The gently caress Off Already because, frankly, I agree with her.

Capaldi is, of course, a great actor, but his Doctor is a horrible dickhead, and like a poster said before, he's not even like Six (or one of the more 'difficult' Doctors). There's no sense of an inner life that is in any way Doctor-ish. He's the first Doctor that I don't buy being The Doctor (and I'm even including Tennant in that statement).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

There's nothing Doctor-ish about deciding he doesn't have the right to choose if a creature that has of yet done no harm should live or die?

Well, no, to be honest. He hasn't been that morally ambiguous since the sixties. Yes, I know they bring up the Hitler parallel and that, but it felt disingenuous, and out of context with the general tone of the show.

Outside of the fictional universe, the Doctor is meant to be the voice of humanistic intellect and romance. He's kind of meant to be a role model. I don't mind challenging that idea, but in this case it just felt weird. Of course the Doctor would have sympathy with the creature. Of course he'd want to save it, and he'd probably know it would do no ultimate harm. As it stands, it felt like he was just withholding information for the gently caress of it (as Clara points out).

EDIT - This, pretty much VVV

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 4, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...OK, seeing as you apparently missed the point I was making, he arguably made a much more damning choice not to act in Genesis of the Daleks. Sure, that serial presents it as the moral choice, but I'm not sure the people the Daleks genocide would be very thankful. They'd probably react not unlike the astronaut lady in this one.

I'm not arguing that this episode was an all-time classic, but the Doctor's behaviour was absolutely in character, it's just we're seeing him from the perspective that makes people wary of him, not the perspective where he can do no wrong.

Yeah, fair enough, but I'm arguing that the show has, for a long time now, generally presented the behaviour of the Doctor from a positive perspective - outside the fictional universe - and that we're not getting that this season. As I said, that's potentially an interesting direction to take, but I don't feel it's being done very well at the moment.

The Genesis decision was obviously bollocks, but the argument was slightly less clear cut than 'kill literal baby/don't kill literal baby and let history take its course'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think that's true. I guess Smith was presented as a moral paragon most of the time, but there were plenty of points where Tennant's judgment was called into question. For instance he literally kills a bunch of babies in The Runaway Bride (which Donna later points out) and he knowingly breaks the rules by saving someone who's supposed to die in The Water of Mars.

In any case I don't think he's really been presented as morally bad this season. He can be rude and insensitive, but his moral decisions and actions have seemed sound outside of this episode (and maybe Into the Dalek).

It's probably a purely subjective thing, because I hated Tennant's Doctor (because, to be fair, he was A Bad Person) and loved Smith's. I guess I just feel like the Doctor matured when he became 11, and he seems to have taken a massive whopping backstep now that he's 12.

Again, it's not so much the in-universe timeline. It's just that Capaldi's Doctor has nothing I'd call Doctor-ish about him. No gimmickry (which is fine), but no twinkle, no indulgence, no perspective, no kindness.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You know what my other beef with this episode is? The Doctor's shirt. Good God, that's a hideous shirt.

Sort it out, Doctor.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Some of the brightest and most intellectually curious people I know did terribly at school because it was an environment that just didn't suit them.

It's not anti-intellectual to not get on with school/organised education.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I don't think there's a huge problem if the doctor has a mean side. The problem is that they're obsessed with portraying him as a complete dick and having his companion be in an intense love-hate relationship with him (to the point of them having a loving break-up argument there), constantly pointing out that he's someone who needs 'fixing' or 'saving' in some way. Did they not think that this would weaken the character? It's Peter Capaldi, he's putting so much into this performance and it could be so awesome and full of that dark gravitas he's going for, but the entire show seems to be about undermining the character's authority in every way. If you're going to make the lead of your show morally ambiguous, you have to have fun with it (see: Breaking Bad), not spend the entire time criticising him and shouting 'look, the doctor's a dick, isn't it interesting!!'
I like the fact that they're doing everything they can to build Clara, but surprise surprise doctor who is about a space-god dude going on adventures. You have to give the doctor the chance to be awesome. Then you can start to undermine his character by putting him in situations where his being a dick actually causes massive problems.

e: mad about space TV shows, mad about the causes of space TV shows

There have been plenty of mean Doctors, but there's only been one complete dick Doctor.

Someone made the Rick and Morty comparison at some point in one of these thread, so I looked up Rick and Morty. Apart from it being amazing, I was shocked that I found Rick, the insane, nihilistic alcoholic, far more likeable and multifaceted than Twelve's been so far.

I hope we eventually get to see more sides of him soon, because as you say, the one-note writing has not been playing to Capaldi's range as an actor.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

Gonna have to look up who played Perkins, because he's great but I can never remember his name. I want to say Frank something, but not sure.

Frank Skinner, stand-up comedian, media personality and massive Doctor Who fan.

That was quite good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Can't deal with emotions/has trouble connecting with people, likes trains, carries jelly babies in a cigarette case when he's being fancy. I think we we all know what this means.

The Doctor is actually six years old.

The Doctor has aspergers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No love for the cantankerous old man of the thread who sort of stopped writing reviews for when real life started up again??

Prior Marcus wrote reviews?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, they just announced a new Companion for Six... played by the actress that played Tallulah in the Daleks in New York 2-parter.

Huh, that's interesting. He already played against her in the Jamie trilogy. She was doing the same accent and everything. Clearly they liked her.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The concept for tonight's episode is really cool and inventive, and after last week's showing I've got high hopes for it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That was loving ace. Actual high-concept (well, sorta) sci-fi idea, creepy effects, actual funny comedy bits, great supporting characters.

This guy can stay, he's two A+ episodes for two.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Whatever they were, they must have been pretty smart. Imagine trying to project yourself into an extra dimension and actually do poo poo in it.

Their alien-ness could've been played up a bit more, but they're a really neat concept, and I like that from the available evidence they seem to have been a bunch of two dimensional Space Mengeles.

Stupid name though, Doctor.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

In other n-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-ews, I've been re-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-listening to some Eighth Doctor DOO, DOO DOO DOO audios, and got to Something Inside.

The incidental music is teeth DOO, DOO DOO DOO grindingly repetitive, intrusive and irritating. It's DOO, DOO DOO easily the worst part of a totally mediocre DOO, DOO DOO DOO audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I actually like Something Inside, but yeah, just reading your post triggered hearing that repetitive score in my head. Yikes.

There's also only so many times you can hear the words 'brain worm' before they lose all meaning. That point happens roughly halfway into it.

• Locked thread