Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I was surprised when Rusty did not kick the bucket at the end, that's how these kinds of tales usually go. Instead Rusty goes off on a venture.

I think Rusty has more possibilities than Jenny, and I kind of hope he stays in canon (daleks having memory alteration hardware and being okay with it, as I posted previously, actually makes a lot of sense and could do some interesting things... unlike whatever the hell was going on with Jenny)

I'll also mention that I saw 11's seasons first, so I did not know the trio didn't have an origin in 9 and 10's stories, and also have a bit of face blindness, so when Jenny showed up I wondered for a it if they were in fact the same person before realizing that made no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

HD DAD posted:

Twelve is kind of a gently caress up so far, isn't he? He feels like he gets things wrong more than most of his incarnations, and just backs it up with rudeness and being oblivious to what's going on around him.

Mind you, I like this approach. He's trying so hard to be something, but he's stumbling a lot.

That's how he came off in this and in the last (both Bad Episodes)
First two he came off better. The next episode looks it might be more like those.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Potsticker posted:

Speaking of, does the spoiler thread know the truth about Missy's identity? Because if so I'm going to go spoil myself.

nope.

Which itself spoils that it won't be revealed next episode!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So far I think that 12's defining moment is "I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you."
Which is one reason why I can't write off Deep Breath completely.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

I really dig this. I was watching The Tenth Planet again recently (it's a really loving good story) and thinking about what a modern take on that initial design would be like. This gets the clunky feel across well - the sense that the life support mechanisms they built were large and unwieldy which in turn caused them to further "upgrade" in order to still be able to move around, as well as everything happening piecemeal over time rather than all at once.

I don't think Cybermen should STILL look like that because obviously they've reached a point where the completely streamlined the process, but these early Mondasians shouldn't be sleek and streamlined but a messy overloaded patchwork of machinery and organic components.

I personally think they should look like that because I don't see much point in the current cybermen who just just look like bad sci fi robomonsters.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I thought this episode was fantastic. It was everything I'd ask for from a Doctor Who episode, really. The two temporary companions were great, the "monster" was just the right blend of horrific and goofy, and a very nice plot and ending. It was a pretty fun ride all things considered. I think this really felt RTD as hell, with all the concepts it was freely throwing every minute.

On the next episode, the preview wasn't selling me at first. I haven't liked the Danny Clara dates/interaction very much so far - they seem needlessly overdramatic - but then they showed a brief glimpse at an utterly bizarre monster and again I'm sold on it. Again it's a great blend of goofy and threatening - some kind of nonsensical looking robot with a retro almost k-9 sounding voice yet it still manages to really sound like bad news.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What if they brought Dodo back

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Help help I'm being persecuted by the somethingawful forum's doctor who thread

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Thing is when have they shown this doctor not being a jackass to everyone and actually having 10 or 11's excitement for time and space travel.

The off screen adventures looked more fun than the ones they've shown us.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

vegetables posted:

It's the contrivance of the difference that's the issue, like if he'd gone "now I hate lemons" and then in the same episode Clara had gone "I am going on a date with a sexy lemon wow"

Yeah, that would be pretty unacceptable

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I see potential in everyone but I'm kind of not liking them except clara because she's kind of the straight man (and too cute to stay mad at)

The prejudice thing is an important thing to explore and it's a good point that that's the theme of the episode but I'm not sure it's a great idea.

Sure, character development is great, yay character development, but I kind of think that it's a huge mistake to make that the new doctor's first story. Why not spend some time selling the new doctor first? Everyone has trouble getting used to a new regeneration, and you can tell the audience "no, it's the same guy, really!" but it won't take until shown. Why not have some stories where we get endeared to this new guy, show us his good parts and his strengths before really delving into what he needs to change, that way the character is someone people want to like and want to develop rather than being like"who's this rear end in a top hat and why should I care about him".

It would be one thing if it was just me watching the show, but lately just about everyone I'm close to has gotten into the show all at once after I mentioned I liked it, and some of them really are not liking 12 at all. :sigh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

jng2058 posted:

And that means, whether he consciously acknowledges this or not, he can kinda cut loose. Indulge himself in some childishness because, in a way, he's gotten a second childhood!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

12, as is, is one more rejection away from starting a thread on Reddit about how "the nice guy always loses out to the jock and how women always prefer meatheads and it's just NOT FAIR!!!! :("

New doctor being a space redditor. Dear god.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor's attitude towards Danny didn't particular strike me as standing out from how he treats most other people, but enough people have brought up their distaste with it that it seems clear there was some kind of problem in communicating whatever message was intended by the writers. I'm still surprised by just how intense the reaction has been, because this Doctor being ascerbic and stubborn-minded about his initial take on any subject until the weight of evidence comes down against him seems to me to have been well communicated across the entire season so far.

Just because that's the trend doesn't mean I have to like it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Oh good, I'll write whoever this is on a list of reviewers to disregard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Maybe the new moon is actually smaller but closer to the Earth so it looks the same size:holy:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

terrordactle posted:

Let's just assume that the episode was the result of space cocaine* floating into the tardis and loving with everyone's head.

*Like regular cocaine, but from space

Wasn't that what happened in amy's choice

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The episode doesn't work as an abortion metaphor but feels like the writer was glaring in that general direction due to the set up of having three women deciding the life of a child (and the right thing to do being to save the life while ignoring the risk to themselves as hard as possible ) and the flimsiness of the premise that throws away basic logic in order to set up the conflict. Many actual condemnations of abortion through metaphor are similarly flimsy. Ot might not be what the episode is but it's what the episode often feels like it's doing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
A kids show where an alien melts some guys brain into "soup" that comes out his eyes and his skull caves in

Burkion posted:

He would have found some third bullshit option where he got to magically teleport everyone away at the last moment, with some kind of quantum after image garbage being left in their place to APPEAR as if they all died because HAPPY ENDINGS!

Doctor Who is and should be better than that.

Note: This is pretty much what happened this episode. (third optioning a magically everyone is okay solution)

Come to think the beast below was the same moral quandary only far more intelligently handled (doctor was going to save people at the cost of the beast, amy didn't just help the beast out of charity but did so when worked out that it was sentient and things would be alright)

These are two reasons why metaphor or not the more I think about this episode the more disappointed I get.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The idea was not "should kids watch this" or "do kids enjoy this", it was "is this a 'children's show'"

Kids can watch and enjoy slasher films or game of thrones but no one would say they're for children and use that as an excuse for a weak episode or film.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
After this episode especially it will be a HUGE disappointment if Missy is Clara in some form.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm still worried Clara could be Missy
Missy saying the doctor is her boyfriend came directly after doctor saying he is not her boyfriend, this episode she says she's trying to dump the doctor and danny corrects her that she's not in a relationship with him, Courtney insists on calling Clara "Miss"

All of that would just be wink wink nudge nudge aren't we clever kind of foreshadowing rather than stetting up a sensible series of events leading to Clara running a computer afterlife. And it would be a huge disappointment. But this is who we're talking about, lack of sense happens and disappointment happens all the time. And for being the season's arc we've really seen very little of missy, if she had shown up every episode we still would be only getting enough info on her by now to just start to make educated guesses instead of "missy is k-9" nonsense jokes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have a lecturer who looks very like Alex McQueen, it's creepy.

Approximately 100% of female primary school teachers in the country could be Missy :ohdear:

It's more that courtney started saying "I should call you MISS, it fits you " for no real reason in the middle of an episode

Could just be that it was a lovely episode, could be a writer thinking he's being clever or somethng

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Um HHGTTG? What does that stand for?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

PriorMarcus posted:

Speaking of which do we still have a SCP thread or did it vanish with the GBS change? Anyone?

It's probably in gbs somewhere but no one posts there

There's a new one in PYF that I prefer anyway - it's newer and less obsessed/unironic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

One Swell Foop posted:

Great review J. I have to disagree on the fuckwad's survival though - as I commented after the last episode I like it when there are non-essential loose ends left loose at the end of an episode of Who. Barely getting away with saving the universe should leave a loose end here and there.

His punsihmemt was that he was the only survivor who Clara refused to hug.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Can someone spoil why Clara and Doctor are apparently in favor of murdering a bunch of children so I don't have to watch this inane sounding episode

(Do they count how many children they aren't going to save this time)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Don't forget Listen's premise about evolution of perfect hiding and all that the doctor yells about at the beginning.

The premise reminds me of The Tingler, where a scientist declares we feel a shiver up our spine when we're scared because we all have a weird fear-eating parasite there that only can be weakened by screaming.

It's an oft mocked premise that would fit in among the episodes we've had this particular season.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Cleretic posted:

At the very least that one's probably intentionally wrong. It's hard to poke holes in the concept of the 'monster' from Listen, since there's a pretty good chance there wasn't one.

We still had the ultrasmart scientist spouting that load of crap at the beginning and since he was talking to himself he had no reason to be bullshitting. To me it was like hearing Bill Nye say the Earth is flat and was created in a week. Well, not THAT extreme.

Republican Vampire posted:

I repeat: He is basically a fetus.

I'm far more mature, I have far too many books on my shelves to put my transformers on them. (Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is actually a good fit for the whovians here as a work of science-fantasy space opera with brilliant worldbuilding, charmingly disfunctional characters, and a staggering novel-ideas-per-page ratio, but I doubt anyone will believe me about that. You would probably believe me if I said that it was at least far more fun than this season has been).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The part I find funny is how he assumes everyone shares his particular thought process. "When will the real doctor return?", I don't know guy, when WILL doctor who return to your particular set of standards that apparently broke with having a female master as opposed to all the other crap in the past 7 series like the death of all the time lords, the undoing of the death of all the time lords. farting aliens, companion romances, the master having "I hear drums" retroactively fitted as a motivation, etc, not to mention the classic series constantly rewriting its own rules too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really really like Missy now. Kind of bizarre how something as trivial as a name reveal can make you turn a 180 on a character. Maybe I'm stupid. Then again, I do love The Master to a ridiculous degree. I do own Time-Flight, after all.

She didn't do anything before this particular episode where her scam was revealed and she got to be a funny jerk. She made a bad impression with being in heaven and having a crush on the doctor but now the former is a bizarre scam and the latter just feels to me like when bugs bunny dressed up in drag.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Donna would've gotten to be the woman doctor if they hadn't decided that that was too interesting and wrote her out instead.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm honestly curious to see if this thread can find a single thing to agree on.

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

An Ounce of Gold posted:

So no spin-off of The Adventures of Cyber-Brig and Jenny, the doctor's daughter gallivanting through time and space?

Sure, add Rusty to that crew and you've got a new Trio.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They seem to be aiming to go back to the classic roots with their choice of doctor and with certain other choices (the master playing mind games with the doctor and trying to take him down to her level instead of taking over the world and turning the doctor into a gnome for one) I hope they can give a companiom setup from the classic era that has not been used since a shot.

I don't know any of those companions and especially not Pertwee's but whatever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The Master should have killed vastra, strax, and jenny instead of osgood.
They're more established, there's more of them, and they appeared this season, this way we'd know the master is REALLY serious!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I don't think it's possible to imagine how poo poo Doctor Who will be if Osgood comes back and is the next companion.

I highly disagree because it would be like a continual version of when 11 had to break amy's faith in him in god complex.

Osgood has an idealized version of the doctor in her head and would be becoming a companion to him in his most cynical rear end in a top hat incarnation.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Moffat needed an excuse for Amy to be dressed as a police officer (and not actually BE a police officer, god forbid a companion have an interesting job like that) and landed on "fetish thing".

Probably most other answers would have to reach a bit but I think it would be worth it to not have that in the episode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Which is dumb because no one alive knew about missyrealm, especially not the recent idea of "you can feel your dead body forever", and it's not like humans are the only species with the idea of an afterlife anyway.

It's like the statue of liberty angel, it was a dumb idea that still made it to filming.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Forktoss posted:

I don't really like the big clompy mechanical things that show the date and era, they look really nice but don't make much sense when you think about them (does every planet have a "Humanian Era"?). Even then its a thing of absolute beauty, of course.

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever pictured the audios taking place in the TV Movie TARDIS. For whatever reason Eight and Charlie always hang around in the classic white console room in my mind.

The tardis could have a very large number of plates for that panel, one for every era of every planet, and they might to still fit, since the console could just be bigger on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

How can the moon both be housing a weather control machine and a baby dragon

• Locked thread