Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's Moffat trying to ape the Baker-style obliviousness in the laziest way. Makes 12 seem like an rear end and reveals how bad Moffat's dialogue is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Irish Joe posted:

The turnaround in Clara is the best.

Series 7: "Ugh, Clara is the worst. She has no personality and I hope she dies."

Series 8: ":qq: The Doctor made a dumb joke about Clara's makeup. WHY IS HE BEING SO MEAN TO THE BEST COMPANION OF ALL TIME?? :qq:"

I'm glad you weren't banned for saying incredibly creepy things about a child. We'd be missing out on all this insightful commentary. :rolleyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but if I don't get a River Song appearance this year, I'm going to be sad.

This sentence should not exist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So I've decided to dive headlong into Eighth Doctor stuff, but I have a problem; I'm not overly fond of Big Finish style radio plays. I've tried listening to them during my commute but I start to zone out and miss things. I'd much rather read Eighth Doc novels, especially since I can focus on them more. Problem is, I never see much discussion of what's good and what's poo poo in this thread. Suggestions?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He doesn't look human, we look Time-Lord.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd much rather it be like Quantum Leap, where finding home is the ultimate goal but it never actually happens. Mostly because I know that if it happens during Moffat's run, the payoff will be really poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

david... posted:

Unacceptable answer.

It's an answer from the show. :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor lied, Rutans died.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I actually went to the Big Finish site last night and at one point my mouse was hovering over the Add to Basket for Minuet in Hell before my senses prevailed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

If there was one BF audio I'd recommend you :filez:, it's that one.

Can't find it anywhere stable. It's only $3 and I've spent way more on poo poo like Plan 9 and countless MST3K, so I think I'm prepared for whatever b-movie hell Minuet brings.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's safest to just ignore Irish Joe

More people should click the link in his BRCT.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Basically Irish Joe is a creepy gently caress who should have been banned, but now shitposts instead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Smith is by far the most wasted Doctor we've had. So much potential and so little payoff thanks to mediocre scripts and all the production bullshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Psybro posted:

I don't know, Series 5 was just dandy and consider how badly 8 would've got screwed over if Big Finish hadn't thrown him a bone. Until The Next Dcotor we weren't even sure if 8 counted any more.

I will forever be angry about the split seasons but even then I adored every second Smith was on screen, and Moffat wrote him to have hundreds of off-screen years in that body, allowed him to literally die of old age and then even let him come back sans make-up for his final lines. It could've been worse.

I think of A Good Man Goes To War and Let's Kill Hitler etc. and I genuinely think only of Smith's performance, a Colossus of Rhodes ankle deep in poo poo.

On another note, Planet of Spiders hasn't aged well, has it? What was the story behind Pertwee leaving, he seemed to have a whale of a time?

My one hope is that Big Finish eventually gets the license for revival Who. You're right, 8 (and 6, I guess :barf:) would have been the most wasted if not for BF.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

So I've been watching a bunch of RTD Who on Netflix and I'm realizing just how much of my body language was influenced by David Tennant.

You really are Tumblr incarnate.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Late to the party, but I thought this past episode was okay. About as good as I expected after reading the script. Honestly kinda excited about next week for once, mainly since I don't think it's leaked in any form yet. I'll be going in fresh so the inevitable disappointment will be twice as severe! :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That Shada novelization is pretty good. Readable, at the very least.

You may now continue with your arguments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really liked 12's personality in the first half. I really hated 12's personality in the second half.

One step forward, two steps back. C'mon show.

I really want the show to move past this idiotic "scorned ex" thing they're doing with 12. I don't care what Capaldi, Coleman, and Moffat say, even if that isn't what they're trying to do with the character (it is) that's definitely the way it comes across. The first 15 minutes of this episode were great because they finally allowed Capaldi to give the character some characterization that wasn't "friendzoned redditor". I mean goddamn.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not liking soldiers is a perfectly valid opinion, but the way 12 has been written is the most angsty manchild way of going about that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

And 12 is definitely the first Doctor who could be described as a manchild.

You're missing the point. The character isn't a manchild, the people writing his characterization are. Or at least, that's what their writing makes them come off as.

12, as is, is one more rejection away from starting a thread on Reddit about how "the nice guy always loses out to the jock and how women always prefer meatheads and it's just NOT FAIR!!!! :("

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rita Repulsa posted:

New doctor being a space redditor. Dear god.

10 was basically your average E/N poster. Especially after Rose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Spikeguy posted:

So that did happen? My friend and I were watching and thinking, don't people know about aliens and poo poo? Can anyone explain when they stated people's minds had been erased?

The Moffat era has really made a complete mess of this. It's best just to not think about it unless it's brought up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Honestly, a DW convention seems like a generally terrible idea. All that squee-ing and endless catchphrases.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

I've only ever attended "general" conventions in the past, but usually it's pretty easy to tune out/keep one's distance from the more obnoxious attendees.

I don't know why this is so funny to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like how cluttered 12's tardis is, I just wish there was more room by the console itself. I don't know that anything will top 11's first console room though, glass butt-plugs and all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That was an impressively stupid episode. When your premise depends on basic physics/biology, you're obligated to have at least some of it be coherent and logical. Even in Doctor Who.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
And that's not even mentioning the mexican moonbase. loving serapes and cacti. Jesus christ. Why not just paint mustaches on their suit helmets while you're at it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I grew up watching and enjoying Jurassic Park, where halfway through the film Grant shouts "But how do you interrupt the cellular mitosis?!" which is among the least egregious of its biology flaws, but still enjoyed it, and that film had more responsibility than the show which coined "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!"

Until science literacy gets a hell of a lot better, expect your popular fiction to contain magic with science buzzwords thrown in, that's just the way of things.

The difference being that the Jurassic Park quote is a throwaway line. Everything vaguely important to the plot in this episode is broken beyond belief. Middle school students should know enough science to pick apart the resolution to this episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hard-boil the egg. :shepface:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still think this is Doctor Who's "Threshold" from a science perspective.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I rented (!) series 1 from Netflix, and made it over to London just after the series 2 dvds came out. Bought them all and watched them on the flight. By the time I landed, I had already fostered a deep hatred for Tennant. :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really really love the Key to Time season. Even when it misses, Baker is still fun and the interactions with Romana are great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
^^Best thing I brought back from my recent UK trip were the Walker's Chicken Curry crisps. Amazing.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The "carer" line in Into the Dalek felt like the best summary of Twelve so far.

Yeah, it's one of my favourites, even if Stones of Blood can't keep a consistent tone and Armageddon Factor is another 6-parter where the budget and script would have had issues covering 4.

Stones of Blood has the scene where 4 is attacked by :siren:WALKING STEALTH ROCKS:siren: that bash in through a window, right? I love that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jaffa cakes and walker's crisps 4 lyfe

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's as if RTD found a lost Hinchcliffe-era script and filmed it with a Moffat-era budget. Which is to say, I absolutely loving loved it. Between the 70's mystery music and lounge Queen, the music alone is reason enough to like the episode. More like this, please.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
loving reddit :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor Who series 8 (34): DoctorWhat Tumblr redirect page

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Tbh, that would be a better resolution than whatever bullshit I'm sure Moffat has in store.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Well, after Six regenerated from hitting his head on the console, I would imagine future incarnations are better able to take a fall.

I like to imagine that all the biking and running around gave lardo 6 a hearts attack and that's what actually killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm afraid I'm already quite well-acquainted with the singularly best Seven cosplay you'll ever see. I'll see if I can procure some evidence.

EDIT: it's this guy. you may remember a from-the-back pic of us at the World Tour back in August...

I'm suddenly completely ashamed of the 7 get-up I'm trying to finish. :negative:

• Locked thread