Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm continuing to work my way through the old series and I'm starting to recognize reused props and set dressing. Somebody help me before it's too late!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Also, the Doctor has clearly made Earthlings the dominant species in the galaxy.

For the past fifty years, he's prevented the extinction of humanity multiple times a year. If other species in the universe with similar potential don't have someone like the Doctor hanging out and taking care of them, there's no way that they'd survive. So every time humanity should be pushed down, he prevents it from happening until you wind up with a giant, universe spanning human empire. One that probably forced all the Sontarans onto reservations and stuff like that. So thanks, Doctor!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

surc posted:

Is there still a general doctor who and/or classic doctor who thread? I am about to take the plunge and go full chronological through classic who and would like to have a place to talk about it.

As someone in the middle of this, I have one piece of advice: that one hundred tacos for one hundred dollars deal will not provide enough sustenance for your Doctor Who marathon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Forktoss posted:

But will an independent Scotland still want to watch Doctor Who :ohdear:

Doesn't an independent Scotland mean that the BBC has to cut the budget on all shows by a quarter? :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

I'm trying to think of one for Five now...

He's the Doctor who is defined by the lack of defining features. Really, the celery is the perfect symbol for him...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I'm guessing the bearded guy in War Games is supposed to be The Master despite never being named.

Officially, he's not. But even as a kid I assumed he was and so do a lot of other people. So he's the Master if you want him to be the Master.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I finally broke down and bought DVD copies of The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani today.

:cripes:

The problem with buying all the DVD's is that you're eventually reduced to something like this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psybro posted:

On another note, Planet of Spiders hasn't aged well, has it?

The production is rough and it goes too long (which I think you can say about 90% of the original series :v: ), but I kind of like Planet of the Spiders. At the very least having creepy giant spider puppets jump onto people's backs was memorable. And the regen scene is terrific. I also liked that trip back to Metabelis 3 where the giant spiders were being jerks and shoving people around; I kind of want to see them return as a villain.

You can cut about twenty minutes from that chase scene, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brett824 posted:

This Adric kid is making me want to stop watching 5th doctor serials.

Adric was a major factor in why I stopped watching the old show when I did, and I wound up I skipping over the bulk of Davison and C Baker. Throwing a teenager on a show for the kids in the audience to "identify with" is always a disaster (hi, Wesley!).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can see that adding some character development but I'm not sure how you'd really sustain the tension of the story that long.

The episode was rushed in all the wrong places and giving it a bit more breathing room, and maybe adding a character or two to the team to balance the extra time, would have helped.

Also, they really didn't need that memory wipe for the story. The twist was the obvious one and so clumsily done that I'm still not certain that it was actually intended to be a twist. I think it would have been a lot more entertaining to kick off the story with the Doctor at the head of a criminal organization...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brett824 posted:

Wow I guess I don't have to deal with Adric anymore. That was brutal.

I like the conversation at the start of the next episode.

"Hey maybe we should-"

"No! I could never do that! It would... uh... break the first law of time. Yeah. That's it."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

surc posted:

I'm not set one way or the other. At the moment I figure I'll try and do a complete watch-through, but if I hit a section I really don't enjoy I'll probably skip it and maybe come back later. I've always loved schlocky sci-fi, so I expect I'll still like most of the bad ones. There's also enough out there that I feel like I have to squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of it if I'm not digging it though, so we'll see how it goes.

If you're watching off Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime has several of the stories that Hulu doesn't. Most notably The Robots of Death, The Armageddon Factor, Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, and Ghostlight, all of which you don't want to skip though some of them for very different reasons than others.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rita Repulsa posted:

What if they brought Dodo back

Only if they include Adric.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Plus there's a line how the Doctor worked with UNIT "back in the 70s." :v:

But early or late 70's? This is important!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found out that Hulu Plus has, of all things, K-9 and Company. But for the sake of sanity they've done their best to hide it from people by placing it under clips for the new series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Getting the Key To Time boxset :toot: Apart from the Five Doctors special, are there any other particular must-have Who boxsets others would recommend? The Black Guardian Trilogy perhaps?

The Black Guardian Trilogy is two pretty good stories sandwiching one really awful story. The Beginning is a good one for the obvious historical interest, and the abbreviated Marco Polo included with it is pretty nice (I remember hearing that story get referenced all the time in surviving episodes when I was kid and wishing I could see it). Beneath the Surface has all the Silurian stories and the first is a classic, the second is pretty entertaining, and the third is a disaster. Beyond that, assuming we're talking about Region 1 box sets, I can't say there's anything that's worth it. The E-Space trilogy was the point when I was watching originally where I noticed that the show was going downhill. New Beginnings is more interesting for the transition from Baker to Davison than the quality of the stories. Trial of a Time Lord is... well, Trial of a Time Lord.

Lost in Time is an interesting box set to get since it's the orphaned episodes and recovered clips. The only "complete" story in the set is The Crusades and they only have audio for the two missing episodes, not even the picture reconstructions. It's a wealth of material for the interested fan but it's not something I'd say someone has to have. It's also now out of date since episodes have been recovered since it was released and a few more stories have completed.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 26, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of the 'old guard' were very sceptical of the hippie/pacifist movement. Hell, conscientious objectors were considered traitors by a decently large part of the population during WW1. The Daleks is hardly the only Who story to express those sorts of views. It's basically the only interesting thing about The Dominators, for instance. (The Doctor has to save a group of pacifistic, wimpy hedonists dressed in weird, skimpy 'unmanly' clothes from aggressors that only understand force. It's hilariously unsubtle.)

The thing is, the message in The Daleks isn't "sometimes you have to fight", it's "sometimes you have to attack". The Daleks are contained in their city and Ian demands that the Thals attack them mainly to achieve his personal goals. The Thals have done nothing but help the crew of the TARDIS, saving their lives from radiation poisoning, and he bullies them into attacking.

At least in The Dominators, the titular aliens were actually doing something. There's a better (but still not good) connection to the problem of appeasement in that story. The Daleks aren't even a threat to the Thals until the TARDIS crew make them one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Hahaha yeah, that does seem to be the horror wheelhouse of New Who. There's also the "Don't look at it" from Listen (and to a lesser extent "Don't get distracted!" for Clara while she was flying the TARDIS). It doesn't bother me nearly as much, although I think the "Don't think!" one was pushing it a little. It's a quick way to build tension and force the audience and characters to live in the moment, to stay hyper-focused on something they can barely control. They're basically all variations of something stomping around while we're hiding under the bed, trying not to make a sound and controlling our breathing.

Still, hopefully they don't have a monster that only preys on the sick so that the Doctor has to tell everyone not to cough.

It's like back in the 60's when they kept introducing weird robot enemies hoping that they'd become the next Daleks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Also I just watched The Green Death today and I have to say, everyone bar the military figures and the hippies come off as a child in it. The Doctor, BOSS and especially Jo. It really left a sour taste in my mouth with Jo as she goes around repeatedly disobeying directions to stay put and stop loving things up only to wander off again and screw even more stuff up. And this is her big send off too, what a poor way to say goodbye to a character I quite liked. Oh well, onto Season 11 and what looks to be a pretty important serial to boot. Sontarans (and Sarah Jane) ho!

I remember being rather saddened when Jo left the first time I saw it. I mean, how could they follow her up as a companion?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

Afterlife as a bureaucracy is incredibly cliché and now thus always boring.

China will be disappointed to hear that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

So does anybody know a good place to watch Classic Who? I wanted to start getting into the older archives and get a feel for Doctors 1-7 but Netflix only has 18 of the old serials (all 4 parts for each) and the selection seems a bit abysmal.

Hulu Plus has about 85% of the surviving stories. Amazon Prime has about five stories which Hulu Plus doesn't.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evenworse username posted:

Was Mike really ever evil? He was brainwashed, and then he was misguided about the whole Golden Age thing but IIRC he didn't fully understand what that group were planning.

I think the majority of the people involved thought that they were just going back in time and doing their own thing, not that they were erasing everyone from existence. But it's not really clear who knows what in that story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care about the science, I just don't like how flagrantly wrong it is. No matter the setting, a creature being born out of the inside of an egg and then immediately laying another egg the same size is stupid.

It's not just that it's flagrantly wrong to me, it's that they used it as a plot point and then were horribly wrong about it. It's key to the episode that the moon is getting more massive. And it's key to the episode that the moon is an egg. You can go around breaking all the laws of time physics all you want until you start contradicting yourself with your plot points. And it gets worse when you try to use the physics that you're breaking as a plot point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

No, point your brain at what MATTERS - themes, characters, morality - rather than at technobabble and the apparant eccentricities of fictional biology.

You mean like the theme in this episode where Europe gets to rule the world?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I thought this was just The Doctor's speculation, not a definite fact about the creature. Obviously, it's kind of silly to assume another one showed up and laid an egg and left again in the moments the camera wasn't pointed at the sky, so I'm not saying that's what happened. I just don't think we can say with complete certainty that there are no others out there somewhere.

Something has to come along and fertilize the new moon. When are we getting that episode?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The thing that the people going, "So what?" about the plotting are missing is that the problem was set up as "The moon is gaining mass." At that point it could have been a gravity bomb (as the Doctor states in the episode) or a wormhole or a Cyberman planet duplicator or even space wizards. It's Doctor Who, weird made up stuff happens. And the central problem that we're given is one of mass, even that terrible scene where the student floats off was based on that since apparently the giant space spider bacteria was so massive that it puller her upward. So it's all about mass.

And then the show goes, "The reason the moon is getting so much mass is because it's an egg!" And that's when people go, "Hang on! That's not how eggs work!" and the suspension of disbelief isn't just snapped, it's run over by semi.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Are they like magical precision nukes that only target space fish or something, though? I don't think it made much sense, but these are the things I prefer not to ask myself and just take the ridiculous stuff they claim at face value.

Nuclear bombs don't destroy matter.

I mean they do, technically, but it's a tiny amount and the matter that goes away is inside the bomb to start with. Either way, the same amount of mass (minus a few pounds) will be there. Very little matter will be pushed beyond the moon's escape velocity, especially since it's now roughly equivalent of earth's. Also, they're only damaging about 1/10,000,000th of the moon's surface. And it's not like there can be a real shock wave from these blasts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Thank god they didn't mention that the moon was originally a giant floating space rock that when it came into our orbit it knocked Earth's twin planet Mondas out its orbit and took its place.

I found this map of Mondas!

There's something familiar about it, but all the world's scientists can't seem to figure out what...

Edit: I've got it! Mondas is Middle-Earth!

Jerusalem posted:

Mondasians: Whyyyyy?
Moon-Baby: Because I must survive.
Mondasians: We'll remember that!

It does explain why they keep attacking it...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CobiWann posted:

How do you know? Have you ever been there? Can you prove to me that the moon is not an egg? The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!

The Bible clearly says that the moon is a Jesus egg.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HD DAD posted:

When the revival started, I was still reeling from the cancellation of Enterprise and yelling at people online about what was in The Hatch.

When they announced the revival it was me and one other guy in the office full of nerds who were excited. I wore my t-shirt with the 70's logo on it the day of the premier and no one knew what it was...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Moffat had Eleven go from 900 to approximately 2,000 off screen at some point, and of course it was treated as something along the lines of a drunken bender.

But on the other hand it gives room for a lot of Eleventh works in other media.

That's okay, C Baker regularly gave his age as older than the Doctor in the revival. I think we can just say that the Doctor lies about his age a lot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone knows the money candy import is Kinder Surprise Eggs. You guys smuggle those drat things into your country like they're pure-cut heroin.

We know they're not really that great, but because they're forbidden we all have to try to smuggle them back into the country.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fred is on posted:

An idea that occured to me recently:

Missy -> Mistress -> The Master is a woman now

Really makes you think............

It would explain the boyfriend line.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know. I felt like the monsters in this show were corny, and very kids show in the way some episodes (Fear Her, that one dollhouse episode, etc) are. Nice CGI work on the people doing the zombie walk, though. It ultimately didn't matter because the character drama was written so well that it picked up the episode and ran with it.

I didn't care for the monsters myself, though I thought taking people apart and sticking them on walls was pretty cool (everyone spotted that the wall was human skin instead of a desert as soon as they walked in the room, right?). Beyond that they were just monster of the week fodder for me. But Clara playing the Doctor and wacky miniature TARDIS hijinks were what really made this episode.

Also, they were really stupid to not remember that they hadn't flattened a door there. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So many other things wrong with this terrible, terrible episode have already been covered, so let me ask the nitpicking question: did the trees just have a day off in the thirtieth century? Since we know from many episodes that the earth gets solar flared to a crisp about a thousand years from now setting of an exodus with space whales and space arks and space other things, why didn't the trees stop that one?

And that whole, "You'll forget and make it legend," crap. No, people won't forget this. We're not living in 1750's Germany; there is (or at least was before the solar flare) a global communication network and absurd amounts of recording devices. People aren't going to forget the day that all the heroic astronauts on the ISS died screaming.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact that the Doctor and co didn't actually affect anything was a bit of a problem. In Kill the Moon you can argue that they affected the decision to (not) blow up the moon dragon, but here the only thing they really seemed to accomplish was to get Maebh's sister to come home which given the stakes is fairly small.

There's not even a proper emotional arc to this episode. There's vague, ham-handed attempts at one but they're malformed, broken things. Even RTD at his hackiest would attempt to give some kind of arc to an episode. This episode was aimless wandering punctuated by scenes that didn't make sense.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Phil Sandifer spent two-ish years writing absolutely brilliant reviews and analysis of Clasic Who. Then, right after wrapping on Survival, he started becoming increasingly unhinged.

This happens to a surprising number of people who watch all of classic Doctor Who.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, sorry. I don't expect Doctor Who to be hard science fiction but I do expect it to at least pay lip service to the science we currently understand and teach.

Yeah, to compare this episode with Kill the Moon, I don't really care how the forest got there or that the trees are magic solar flare deflectors. Those things make no sense but they're the premise of the story so I let them have it and go on. Kill the Moon, OTOH, sets up the premise of the story as the moon is gaining mass and then explains it badly. Once you start explaining you better have an explanation that makes sense even if it only makes sense narratively.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill The Moon clearly believes that the storytelling economics it is beholden to are better spent on the morals and themes it endeavors to explore than with psuedoscientific gobbledygook, and I frankly agree.

That's fine, but in that case don't bring up the topic in the first place. Once a story raises the topic, and more importantly makes it central to the story, then things can go badly. As I pointed out, the problem with the storytelling in Kill the Moon wasn't that the science was bad, it was that trying to explain the bad science was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

After all that time on the no-lying planet, isn't the doctor up to 2k as well?

And it's not just that, the Doctor's age was dropped a few centuries in the new series as a result of it not really mattering because obviously the Doctor lies about his age a lot.

• Locked thread