Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

A little ways into the "Philip Hinchcliffe Presents" box set and apparently Big Finish's throwback to the Hinchcliffe era includes the casual racism

Oh dear, that's unfortunate. Care to elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Throb Robinson posted:

As for the DW ratings what does Convict land mean?

Australia

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

Maybe it'll be cut like Rusty exploding!

We could be that lucky right?

Right?

Please stop this poo poo. I'm trying to go into this (and E5) unspoiled. Don't be all coy, it's very irritating.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

FEAR MAKES COMPANIONS OF US ALL

I CALLED that JUST BEFORE IT WAS SAID

I'm gonna need some time to think this over.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Noxville posted:

There was no way to not include it, literally the entire point of the episode was Moffat writing an origin story for The Doctor.

It's not an origin story. It's not even close to an origin story.

It's a singular, potentially-formative event that is only the definite "origin" of a SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE in An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vincent K. McMahon posted:

But how did they fly to Gallifrey?

How was it in Clara's timeline?

Is EVERYTHING in Clara's timeline now because of the fracturing before?

They went to Gallifrey because the safeguards were off and because Clara's timeline is fractured and weird due to the stuff on Trenzalore. It was implicit, but like many of Moffat's plot elements, not explicit.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, they edited out the most offensively stupid part at least.

But, seriously, gently caress a Doctor origin story.

I'd rather have this than the loving Other.

... so what did they edit out?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

McDragon posted:

Oh, but the young Doctor thing was dumb. Don't want anyone thinking I liked that bit. Leave Time Lord childhoods alone, we don't want to hear it. Just let them be mysterious and unknown.

We were all young, once.

Besides, any sense of "Time Lord mystery" is long since dead and buried. I'm beginning to question the point of maintaining the pretense, honestly; Shrodinger's cat has been out of the bag since The Deadly Assassin.

Trying to artificially restore that mystery gave us sodding Lungbarrow.

Autonomous Monster posted:

If the Doctor was raised in an orphanage, where does the House of Lungbarrow fit in? :can:

Who said it was an orphanage? [/virginnewadventures]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

what

WhAT

WHAT!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ABSLOM DAAK, DALEK KILLER

YOU MOTHERFUCKERS HAD BETTER KNOW WHO ABSLOM DAAK IS

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

anastazius posted:

I did not until now. He sounds glorious.

HE'S GONNA BLOW EVERY LAST STINKING DALEK OUT OF THE SKY

[yes, that was a Daak reference in Bad Wolf]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I love how that's the only split second glimpse we get of that thing.

And that thing is definitely not human.

Didn't the Doctor wake up saying something about Sontarans interfering in history?

Yeah, probably a Time Warrior reference, but the thing under the covers LOOKED like a Sontaran to me...

Crazy Man posted:

I'm wondering if this whole Clara being afraid of dying thing is just a ruse (because if she does die, it would be a very expected departure from the audience's point of view), and in the end, she'll meet up with Jenny (Doctor's daughter) and go on space adventures with her for the rest of her (long) life. :v:

I think she's afraid of dying because she's seen so many OTHER Claras die.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Stealthweasel posted:

I really liked that the driving force behind this episode was just the Doctor being curious about something. It wasn't a threat he necessarily had to face, he wasn't trapped or trying to save anyone, he just did some thinking and came up with a theory and wanted to know if he was right. The fact that the episode ended up going back to his childhood really disappointed me because it was actually nice to see an episode where the Doctor was going out of his way to investigate something that wasn't an immediate deadly threat or some big prophecy about him.

Now he'll never know if he was right.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shugojin posted:

This is Doctor Who, it could have very well been an entirely different and very, very confused alien :v:

Again - SONTARANS PERVERTING THE COURSE OF HUMAN HISTORY!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cruel Rose posted:

It's a really elaborate prank by Strax.

"IGNORE MY PRESENCE, HUMAN SCUM."

It's actually turned out to be a reference to some of Four's first words... but it could ALSO be true.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Payndz posted:

"There was no monster. The Doctor was found alive, well and of normal size...."

Listen-a-go-go.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Plavski posted:

It's nice to be one of the very few people in this thread to get that reference.

If I had remembered the quote that you had quoted, I would have posted it sooner.

But I didn't, so I didn't, and I have to be content with merely getting the reference, rather than making it.

Alas, alack.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Eh, I just chalk it up to Twelve just being a massive dick sometimes. An immature, mean-spirited, stubborn rear end in a top hat who will eventually Learn To Love over time.

Actually that sounds a bit familiar...

I WANT TO BELIEVE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's not about Clara's ~feelings~, she's a fictional character.

It's about the message it sends. It's like a (tremendously less severe, of course) version of The Twin Dilemma and how it sets Peri up as an abused spouse. "Character interiority" doesn't overwhelm the surface imagery.

So the Doctor should stop with the Negging bullshit posthaste.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe The Doctor was raised by non-Galifrayans?

Also I thought his species was 'Time Lord' until now, didn't realize you had to qualify to be one.

This has been a longstanding point of contention.

The classic series occasionally mentioned "Shabogans" and "outcasts"; the Chancellory Guard's Time-Lord-ness is under dispute; and the established fact tht Rassilon heavily altered the genetics of Gallifreyans in order to create Time Lords raises questions about the relationship between "Gallifreyan" and "Time Lord".

What the biological differences are, if any, remains uncertain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is it known whether The Doctor himself is legitimately a Time Lord, or could it just be a self-proclaimed thing?

Graduated from the Prydonian Academy, but just barely and on his third attempt at the final. A total screwup, not cut out to really succeed as a Time Lord.

(source: The Ribos Operation)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I've decided to dive headlong into Eighth Doctor stuff, but I have a problem; I'm not overly fond of Big Finish style radio plays. I've tried listening to them during my commute but I start to zone out and miss things. I'd much rather read Eighth Doc novels, especially since I can focus on them more. Problem is, I never see much discussion of what's good and what's poo poo in this thread. Suggestions?

The BBC EDAs are distressingly uneven and the Doctor's characterization is repeatedly infringed upon by amnesia subplots and other sillyness.

That said, anything by Kate Orman or Lawrence Miles is gonna be at leasf READABLE, and oftsn brilliant.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

david... posted:

Seems as good a place as any to ask, what's the fluff answer for why the Doctor and his people look human, I was idly skimming this thread and had the thought that I could see a new Who plot where the Doctor is like a gene seed for all humans or something dumb, shower me with fluff answers please.

According to Zagreus and The Next Life, Rassilon was a big, frothing racist who tampered with genetic histories across time and space in order to enforce a hominid hegemony.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 15, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The current opening is poo poo and dull, replace away

Visuals are crap, music is crap, 100% agree. I'd rather that bonkers theme they used for the Eight/Mary Shelley audios - at least that one is MEMORABLE.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

Has anyone read Philip Sandifer's article "Steven Moffat is a Feminist and You Are Wrong if You Disagree"?

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2014/09/steven-moffat-is-feminist-and-you-are.html

I thought it raised some interesting points.

It's another example of Sandifer giving in to his teleological predispositions and primal need to defend Moffat at all costs, and talking over actual women (and other minority perspectives) in the process..

Phil and I had a row about this exact sort of thing back in March.

His argument - that there are evidently millions of women, including Sandifer's wife and his sister, who enjoy Moffat's direction for Who - is obviously not FALSE.

But from that sound premise, he goes on to insinuate that anyone who critiques Moffatt from a feminist angle is in some way denying agency to those women who DO enjoy Moffat!Who. He even goes so far as to imply that such critiques are somehow ANTIFEMINIST. And that's a loving BONKERS claim to make, ESPECIALLY when it's a straight, cisgender white dude saying it.

Then, whenever he's called out on that behavior, he uses his wife and sister as shields and deflections. In the aftermath of my argument with him back in March, Phil messaged me to inform me that my "tone" in the argument had caused his wife some amount of emotional distress. Now, I NEVER SAID A WORD TO OR ABOUT the woman in question; but in an effort to not be an rear end in a top hat and avoid causing further distress (and assuming good faith) I stopped interacting with Sandifer.

Sandifer is a very clever and highly educated writer and analyst, but he's also a tremendous twit at times.

Also, he quite recently picked a fight with me over [a post about Six I made] and accused me of implicitly supporting domestic violence by being a fan of Colin Baker and wearing my Coat, EVEN THOUGH HE'S HAD ME ON "IGNORE" SINCE MARCH, so... yeeeaaaahhhh.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 15, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Frankly, at this point I'm less interested in hearing about whether Moffat is sexist/misogynistic (spoiler: he is) and more about what it is that compels the "I MUST DEFEND STEVEN MOFFAT AND ALL THE STUPID THINGS HE SAYS/WRITES AT ALL COSTS" brigade to pop up every time someone takes issue with one of his (by now all-too-common) duff scripts or lunkheaded statements. Is there some "sunk cost fallacy" thing where people figure that since he wrote a few good episodes back in RTD's era, they have too much invested in him now to even be able to countenance any opinion that isn't praising him to high heaven, or what?

In Sandifer's case, what happened is that "The Big Bang" had such a huge impact on Phil that it inspired him to do this huge, sprawling analysis of all of Who. Trouble is, he went into the writing process with the premise that current-day Who must be the teleological triumph of television; as a result, he's been increasingly dishonest and defensive ever since he stepped into the Wilderness Years.

To Phil, Moffat!Who MUST be the best era of Who, or his whole years-long argument could fall apart. If that premise goes undefended, he's "wasted" the past three-plus years. So Moffat!Who MUST be Feminist, and not-racist, and progressive and good. And any deviation from the Moffat model, any present-day vision of Doctor Who that isn't Moffat's, is therefore a diversion at best and a waste of effort at worst - hence his dismissal of Big Finish, post-revival BF especially.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ludicro posted:

Right, slightly off the current topic of discussion, my current Big Finish collection that I've picked up is as follows:

Davros
Jubilee
Spare Parts
The Chimes of Midnight
The Holy Terror
The One Doctor

I gave Davros a listen last night, and holy poo poo it was good. If this and Spare Parts are representative of the quality I can expect then I shall enjoy Big Finish releases very much indeed. I particularly liked how we were treated to flashbacks of Davros' past, and how despite his evil he was wracked with guilt over what he had done to Shan. I also thought it was neat how the story, and even Davros himself make you think for a time that maybe, just maybe he really can change for the better. Basically Colin Baker and Terry Molloy are pretty much brilliant and awesome and I might have to get more Davros stories just because of how brilliant Terry Molloy is.

Any more particularly good ones? Preferably cheap? I haven't ignored people's other suggestions, but given the holiday I'm not in a position to drop £12 on an audioplay right now.

THE MARION CONSPIRACY. Listen to it before Jubilee - it's Evelyn's introduction and a near-pure historical that's also at the lower pricepoint.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

heloooo new iPod wallpaper

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Big Finish Five also has a weird existential crisis when he talks about seeing his own regeneration before it happened and also seeing older incarnations of himself that aged more than they should have done.

Wait, when was this? I must have missed this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It's in whichever Excelis has Five in it. He has a conversation with Iris about the afterlife. It's one of the few really good things about Excelis that isn't Anthony Stewart Head.

Ooh, I'd skipped Excelis. I'll keep an ear out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Stop with the Scottish referendum panic!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RodShaft posted:

I have 2 9 hour drives coming up, and thought I should listen to some Who. I'm looking for suggestions.

Who-wise, I'm very familiar with the new series, but have never gotten into the older stuff.

Audio-wise I used to listen to audio books a lot. So if there's an awesome book with a good audio version I could do that. I've also listened to and enjoyed a lot of old bbc radio shows so I'm down with whatever style.

My favourite books to listen to are ridiculous action comedy things like Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

Also I'd prefer not crazy expensive ones in case I hate them in general I'm not out too much.

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee | Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

That's 9 2-hour stories each available for 3bux apiece from BigFinish.com. If you listen, listen "in order" between the brackets.

These are full-cast radio drama, not just narrated audiobooks! Furthermore, they all stand apart from the classic stuff with the PARTIAL exeption of Spare Parts, but you've probably absorbed enough contextual info (i.e. the fate of Adric) to deal with it.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 18, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

For Six it's probably that sanctimonious speech he delivers at the Timelords during his trial.

Well, if you're limiting yourself to TV, maybe.

In ACTUALITY, his defining moment is his breakdown at the end of "Arrangements for War".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I'm trying to think of one for Five now...

You won't :haw:

But seriously? Probably Caves.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RodShaft posted:

Heyo, what doctor is this and what do I need to know about him?

First bunch is the Sixth Doctor and you don't need to know anything apart from his wardrobe. Second bunch is Eight and you need no info. Spare Parts is Five, and knowing who Adric is and what happened to him adds to the story. Fearmongeris Seven and it stands alone, mostly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I'm guessing the bearded guy in War Games is supposed to be The Master despite never being named.

:can:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

John Peel says he's the Master, but Peel also wrote War of the Daleks so I'm not sure he gets a vote.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I know Doctor What really loves the coat, but I have to agree with Lalla Ward and Tom Baker that those question marks should never have been on the show.

Well the question marks are on the shirt, not the coat, so...

e:f,b

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I like the question marks* but Rob Shearman hates them :smith:

*except on Four, they stink on Four.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spacedad posted:

A good REAL scientist is basically a hero, albeit an indirect one. See: Climatologists, medical researchers, etc.

A much more thoughtful kind of heroism.

I'm not a hero, Cecil Clara.

I'm a scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Is this a split season? Does the Season end with the Christmas special or will there be a break after the Christmas special and more episodes follow a few weeks later?

12 straight episodes, an Xmas special, and that's it for the season. No split.

• Locked thread