Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm interested to see all of your reactions to one aspect of this episode in particular.

Maybe it'll be cut like Rusty exploding!

We could be that lucky right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Please stop this poo poo. I'm trying to go into this (and E5) unspoiled. Don't be all coy, it's very irritating.

I'm not saying anything about episode 5.

I'm talking about the fact that in the rough cut for Into the Dalek, Rusty blew itself up at the end, which just kind of made everything pointless. One of the big points I give to the episode is leaving Rusty alive so he can come back in the future!

Like Jenny! Who Moffat specifically asked to be left alive so she could...

...not ever return I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also come on guys. MetaCrisis Doctor is Handy.

We discussed this, like, threads ago.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Or they're idiots who don't like being implied to be sexist even if they're not actually being implied to be sexist.

So they take super offense to the slights that aren't actually there just in case they are, or because they enjoyed the dumb joke and don't want to feel like they're part of the problem.

You know. Simple answers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

My unabashed love for so many things this thread hates was likely caused by watching the entire revival from Rose to Day of the Doctor in about a month. I hated so much of Time of the Doctor, and it's the first episode I ever anticipated for any length of time. Same with Capaldi's first ep. It's easier to forgive things when you didn't anticipate them for weeks, months, or years.

I'm really worried about this one.

This really explains a huge disconnect between certain fans and others.

No one will understand why I hate Season 6 so much, even if they don't agree with it, unless they too have to wait *MONTHS* between watching A Good Man Goes to War and Let's Kill Hitler.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's not possible, but it really does feel like he went "Holy poo poo I JUST realized something that I could do that'd shut up all of those whiner whiney whiner babies about how "growing up with her isn't the same as raising her" the tossers. They'll NEVER suspect this amazing twist!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

I wanted to ask ya'll something because I greatly enjoy hearing the responses. Can you list the defining moment for each Doctor? By that I mean, the scene or action or plot point that you think defines that particular Doctor or the thing that you think characterizes the Doctor the most?

"Do I Have The Right?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the second, if you need something else, he has a reply.

"WELL ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 1: Good

Season 2: If you skip CERTAIN episodes, excellent

Season 3: Good, wonky end

Season 4: EXCELLENT

Specials: Bleh

Season 5: Very Good

Season 6: Ugh

Season 7 A: Bad

Season 7 B: OK

Season 8: Ugh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This was an OK episode. Nothing great, nothing bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The pacing of season six was awful because, and this isn't a spoiler to any loving thing, IT HAD A HALF A YEAR GAP IN THE MIDDLE.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

surc posted:

I watched the unearthly child last night, and now I am super psyched to watch 7 episodes of stretched-out, filler daleks! :D

It is pretty hilarious having gotten into Who with Tennant as the doctor, and going back and seeing season 1, episode 1 doctor. "gently caress all of you Humans! Gonna kill me some caveman!"

Welcome to the long road of character development!

50 loving years in the making.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Christ.

She's going to be Missy.

I BET you.

Or at least some version/iteration/clone of her will.

If she isn't then...gently caress I don't KNOW. But the reason I think she might be?

She has the Doctor's Number. The one that is given to Clara.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

The pattern that's emerging is that Doctor Who fans have trouble distinguishing between women in positions of power as written by Moffat.

Fixed that for you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Hair color, and some of them are lesbians.

Be fair!

All of them might be lesbians.

Well OK bisexual. Unless the Doctor is going to regenerate into a woman next time...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Psybro posted:

This thread has reminded me how the season-long mystery over Madame Kovarian was resolved by it turning out not to be particularly important who she was, where she came from or what her motivation was and then she died. What a loving state.

Actually she's still alive.

She died in a non canon universe that doesn't count.

So, uh.

I guess that's a thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And let's be entirely fair here.

If you took River but made her actually evil, like she was when she was Mels/River at the start of Let's Kill Hitler, you pretty much have Kavorian and Missy and Bank Manager Lady.

And Space Pope is River. Like, the only difference is one of them has a dalek laser she can shoot out of her hands, the other has...Time Lord lasers she can shoot out of her hands. Some times.

So putting them all together? Not that far off.

Where the gently caress did Space Pope lady come from again?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Actually, if rumors are true, Space Pope Tasha Lem was a hastily rewritten River Song that came about due to scheduling issues with Alex Kingston.

Which could make a sort of sense. Knowing Moffat's patterns, of course River would be the leader of the organization that creates herself.

...how would that...She gets killed by the Daleks and turned into a Dalek...

Whatever, who cares, gently caress it all. Let's just keep random space pope lady random space pope lady.

Also I don't give two shits about the conversation about them looking alike, though Missy and the most recent MoffatLady looked enough alike to confuse one of my friends while we were watching, but I will point out one serious difference. Outside of that last one in the round up of the supposed Moffat women, but then I admit I don't recgonize her off hand.

All of the RTD women you posted to counter the idea that his powerful women were the same as Moffats look extremely different beyond just what they're wearing. They all have different age ranges, different ways of holding themselves, different hair styles and colors.

Kavorian, Missy, Space Pope and Bank Manager all have short dark hair, often red, and are middle aged across the board, with Kavvy being the eldest on that spectrum and Space Pope looking the youngest, though I believe her actress is actually in her 50s. They all fall pretty lock step in with one another in a not too broad spectrum. The same cannot be said for the RTD women you posted.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 25, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Yvonne, UNIT lady, Cofelia and CyberQueen are all middle-aged and, barring Yvonne, have short hair. Lazarus lady was only allowed to be old because she was featured in an episode about Old. And I hosed up anyway because RTD didn't actually write the episode, but it was already hard to find examples of powerful female villains from that era because I GUESS WOMEN AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE PROACTIVE EH RUSTY?! :jerkbag:

I still don't know who the gently caress that is.

Also, you're still an idiot and trying way too hard on this.

First, UNIT Lady is not in the running. Like, at all. I mean, I didn't think I'd have to point this out, but the other major thing all of the Moffat women you brought up (specifically the four I know about, and I have only claimed, myself, that Missy and Manager were at all similar though obviously Manager has much smoother skin and I speak more toward their whateverwhocares) is that they are white. She is not, and no one is going to mistake UNIT Lady for any of them.

Second, did you just miss my entire thing about the hair?

Missy, Manager and Kavarion all have virtually interchangeable hair. You could swap those around and no one would notice.

While Old Lady and FatPeople Lady have short hair, they are also VASTLY different from one another-one has a kind of pixie blonde cut going on, while the other has very gray hair done up in a bun.

They do not look very similar at all.

Cyber Queen I fully admit I do not remember what her hair was like, but to be fair, it doesn't look like she has any so natch. Also no one likes talking about her regardless and NO ONE is holding her up as some paragon of whatever the hell has you upset.

Yvone maybe middle aged, but she has a youth to her that the Moffat women do not tend to have, specifically with her more revealing attire-the Moffat women are all very modestly dressed, which is another thing-though they have different eras of outfits, they all fall in line pretty easily as well.

An argument could be made for Space Pope though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Okay, I'll send Moffat a memo to make more female villains black which will in no way result in a shitstorm.

OK, first, I'm pretty much done with this because it's not even my argument and you're dancing around it as deftly as you can.

Second, I'm tackling this in particular because my GOD do you sound like a tool.

Like, let's break it down.

First and foremost? Preeeeeeeetty sure UNIT Lady wasn't a villain. So how that ties into anything, I'm not sure. Second, yes, I would, in fact, like more people of color in starring roles of Doctor Who-even as villains. There is nothing wrong with that. We are also not going back to the bullshit that is That One Episode and if you loving bring it up I will just ignore you entirely because YOU KNOW what people take issue with there.

Third? What the gently caress does that have to do with anything other than you being wrong? Also, fun thing I noticed- most of the RTD women you listed are not, in fact, villains.

Pretty much just two of 'em. Let's go down the list.

Harriet is not a villain, Yvone I would argue is not a villain, UNIT Lady is not a villain, Old Lady is not a villain, just fatpeople lady and the Cyber Queen, and guess what, one of those kinda sorta redeems herself.

Now to be fair, not all of the Moffat ladies are villains either. Space Pope isn't I guess, nor is River. Though they are, again, virtually the same loving character.

The rest are, though Bank Manager lady at least felt guilty in her dying days so 'eh.

So yeah. Stop avoiding the point and bringing up bullshit.

EDIT: MotherFUCK that was a slip up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

If that's related to mine, yeah, gently caress I don't know. I guess I was so flabbergasted by lumping her in as a villain, and then it being so loving late. Still doesn't explain it though. I think that's enough Who forum for me tonight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Seriously, save your breath. You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread. They've formed a little clique in here, and dissenting opinions are met with holier than thou responses. For the record, I'm not so much a Moffat defender these days. That really doesn't account for why I come in here and snipe a little insult every now and then. Honestly, there's so much loving fake altruism and hot air in this thread, it makes me not even wanna be a Doctor Who fan. I keep coming back here though, every couple of days, to see if anyone had anything loving interesting or useful to say about the episode, and all i ever see is morons whining about literally every little loving thing. Even some of you who started pretty cool a year or two ago, now have just as big a stick up your asses as everyone else. It's like you guys hobby is loving finding anything that could be remotely construed as immoral/racist, then acting like white loving knights toward anyone who says otherwise. gently caress it, I typed this out, I'm posting it.

I've hated this season so far-this last episode was the best of the bunch and it still was only OK, and frankly, I do not feel like I'm part of any consensus.

SOME of us sort of agree that the Missy subplot is going to burst into flames and flail around, but none of us can even agree to agree on THAT.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

These are the other threads then, hmm? A dandy and a clown?

Wonderful threads, all of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I did not enjoy this.

Mind you part of that is my frothing rage at how the Doctor treated Danny. gently caress you Doctor, remember the Brig? What did HE do after he retired for the first time? Oh right BECAME A TEACHER YOU FUCKHEAD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Well, to be fair, the Fifth Doctor couldn't quite believe the Brig was teaching maths either.

Problem with that.

The Doctor knew the Brig, personally. Pretty much one of the few people the Doctor could truly call a best friend-would visit him even if it technically broke the rules of time and space MORE THAN ONCE. His death so shook him to force him to go and confront his OWN impending death.

The Doctor knew the Brig and had no reason to assume he'd ever retire, let alone become a math teacher. But he accepted it.

He still had good reason.

He did not *LOATH* all soldiers everywhere for NO loving REASON and openly insult them to their loving face, question their intelligence and competency. I just really want the Brig to come in and slap the Doctor, maybe have Benson waltz in and nuttpunch him.

gently caress this character trait.

It'd be like if the Doctor was suddenly racist, or suddenly was sexist.

It makes ABOUT as much loving sense.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WELCOME

BROTHER

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Please, if Sixth Doctor coats were widespread enough to become an irritating fandmom meme (like those Homespot trolls or the literal hundreds of TARDIS dresses that flood NYCC every year), I'd be over the moon.

Ahem, let me step into that trap you so subtly placed.

Homestuck.

Thank you that will be all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Typing on the Wii U browser, stuff like that happens!

I remember the first time I saw a Homestuck troll, in any context. NYCC 2011. Just gaggles of candy-corn horns flooding the Javits Center food court. It was like a plauge, an INFESTATION. I had no idea what they were. It was terrifying.

That is your sanity, warning you.

These are the terrible things that must be fought.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gordon Shumway posted:

Mike Yates may not be the best example for your point here, seeing as how he was evil that one time.

And then he redeemed himself later on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evenworse username posted:

He's an imbecile!

Was Mike really ever evil? He was brainwashed, and then he was misguided about the whole Golden Age thing but IIRC he didn't fully understand what that group were planning.

And he and the Doctor make up later on ANYWAYS.

Sure he dies in the process, but that's still not a knock against.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we did the Masterathon, me and my WhoWatching group, which I'm not sure I brought up in THIS thread.

Now we are on the DALEKATHON because gently caress Yeah Daleks.

One thing that occurs to me that would really help modern Daleks out A LOT?

Make them actual characters again.

You look at the Daleks before Davros showed up, and they're actually a species of aliens that are to a one racist, xenophobic hate filled people, instead of what they were after Davros showed up- tools, weapons with no personality beyond some stand outs.

The Daleks before they just became Davros' weapons were clever, willing to make alliances in more personal terms (rather than the broad stuff we see in Time of the Doctor and the fifth season's finale) and ultimately deceitful and dangerous. They understood humanity to a point where they could subvert it and crush it-rather than being cartoon super villains they are now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think they should have made it clear that the "shell" would be harmless from the start, so that the question becomes "is it OK to pre-emptively kill the creature in case it wants to attack us". That would have made the theme more coherent, since that's basically the decision they were discussing.

If the Doctor could have just CHIMED IN that hey, yeah, the shell is totally going to just vanish after the baby is born and won't affect anything, that would have fixed a lot of issues.

Mostly because with everything we KNOW about the moon, everything the episode SHOWS us, it should have loving obliterated the planet. The moon, even if it is hollow inside, is still a sturdy enough structure to support moon landings and an increase in gravity by SIX TIMES without so much as cracking.

It was not an egg shell-it was made of rocks, or at least coated in them. Those really should have hosed the Earth over six times, let alone the gravity of the planet sized beasty moving ANYWHERE NEAR the planet and how that would stir poo poo up. But ignore that and focus on the problem that you cannot science away at a glance-that those fragments should have destroyed the human race.

This isn't about if abortion is ever right- not unless the baby also has a hypothetical bomb strapped to its belly that's going to blow up the hospital.

And the Doctor could have easily just taken a short jaunt into the future with Clara and seen for himself if he truly did not know what would happen to the shell.

The fact that it did magically just vanish and then JUST as magically the baby laid a new moon, off screen, that's the SAME SIZE AS ITSELF, is just lovely, awful writing.

Doctor Who can do better than this.

The scene of Clara calling out the Doctor was more than deserved and just about the only good thing to happen in the episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

It actually was cracking, that's what the images they found in the base were about.

It was cracking because of the baby though-not because of them landing on it.

I may have misheard, but weren't they also drilling into the moon? that research station?

Bad science is bad science-I can and would bitch about the 'germs' all day long and how moronic that was, but bad writing is something else entirely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pretty sure if The Doctor did that then the events on the moon would become a "fixed point" (since he already knows the outcome), and he'd be unable to go back and change it. Otherwise The Doctor could resolve 90% of episodes by just doing that.

Bullshit for one reason. They play fast and loose with the rules all the goddamn time.

This was something the Doctor did in Pyramids of Mars actually- he took a quick visit to the future to show Sarah Jane what would happen if Sutkeh got free. Found a desolate, barren Earth.

You can't play fast and loose with the laws of gravity and common sense the way the episode did (and also expect us to get invested in the choice) and expect us not to question they you aren't treating the OTHER rules the same.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You absolutely can by expecting the audience to just loving roll with it. You can't tell me you haven't done this a dozen other times with this show, this episode was just weird and made you think about it harder.

There in lies the problem.

It makes me think about it harder-and find more and more problems with it. Problems with very easy answers.

Have the fact that the moon is about to shatter be a non issue. Have the Doctor or even the scientists explicitly say or discover that the moon fragments will not damage the Earth.

Make the issue about what it SHOULD have been about.

Killing something that hasn't been born yet, before it becomes a threat. IF it becomes a threat.

The moon stuff just adds too much weight to the 'kill it' side of things, and trying to argue that it's a shell is moronic because, as even the scientists note, the moon is still made up of MOON STUFF-IE rocks. And even as a shell, it's a freaking heavy, dangerous thing to have shattering next to a planet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I can't speak about the classic series because I haven't watched it (and in any case I think it's ok for the revival to do things differently and not be weighed down by decades of different writers with different ideas), but basically the entire revival has worked on the principle that "time travelers cannot change the outcome of events they know about". Rose couldn't save her father in Father's Day. The Doctor couldn't save Adelaide in The Water of Mars. The Doctor also made it abundantly clear that he and Donna couldn't save the general populace of Pompeii. Going against this would create a paradox (and would also ruin the narrative of the show by making every problem trivially easy to solve).

The main exception I can think of is the Sound of Drums two-parter, but that involved The Master specifically loving up the TARDIS and reality in general to "keep the paradox in place", and I doubt The Doctor would ever want to do that.

See I want to agree with that, but that was also one of the main elements of the loving Christmas Carol that pissed me off to no end, so I can't win with this show no matter WHAT some days.

(Also the Doctor being an unBELIEVEABLE rear end in a top hat and not taking the sick girl to any of the numerous future hospitals and getting her better in their many, MANY trips)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe it got hit by a huge spider-germ meteor :iiam:
I can't remember A Christmas Carol that well, what aspect of the time travel rules annoyed you?

Exactly as JaKiri said-the Doctor personally hosed over a guy's history, subverted him as a human being and the choices he made, because he did not agree with him. He constantly hosed with what SHOULD have been a fixed point in time, to the point where he BROUGHT A SECOND INSTANCE OF THE SAME PERSON INTO CONTACT, PHYSICAL CONTACT, WITH THEMSELF.

It flies in the face of whatever rules we've had about Time Travel so hard, and is frankly horrifying that the Doctor would do this and utterly moronic that the Doctor would introduce forced drama to SUCH a level by not taking the sick girl to a hospital at ANY point instead of snogging Marilyn Monroe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

The Donna Train don't got no breaks, baby. WOO WOO

You will see just how people can change with this season, oh yes.

Crosspost to include- :smith:

Goddamnit last minute brain reset...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean, I don't think people seeing an abortion metaphor are out of their minds, but I don't think it really works as a parallel, since (a) there's no mother in the story whose wishes can be respected or disregarded and (b) unless you're some kind of Malthusian fanatic, the birth of a child isn't an immediate and direct threat to the surrounding populace. (Also, abortions don't tend to happen at the same time as the child is actually being born.)

I mean, it could be a really clumsy abortion metaphor, I suppose, but I don't think it was meant as anything other than a variant on the classic 'is it okay to kill one person to save a thousand' dilemma (to which the Doctor's answer has traditionally been 'gently caress you I'm saving 1,001 people today').

Unless it's the Daleks, at which point he decides gently caress IT LET FATE SORT IT OUT.

Little known thing about the Do I Have The Right speech. It ultimately ends with the Doctor realizing that no, he doesn't- but he has to stop the Daleks ANYWAYS. It doesn't matter if he has the right- NO ONE has the right to take another's life. But if it's something that must be done, that morally would be wrong not to do, then you have to do it. You just hope you can live with yourself afterwards-and if IT WAS the right thing to do, regardless of if you should have done it, then you will.

Or luck into a Dalek accidentally doing it for you, but you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

It's not specific to abortion, but somebody pointed out earlier in the thread that Lundvik, Clara and Courtney can be seen to represent the Triple Goddess - Crone, Mother & Maiden. They're the ones charged with deciding the fate of the moon-baby, with the Doctor declaring that he has no right to make that decision (a point that Clara later viciously tears apart) and leaving it up to them.

I think there is very definitely element of abortion in the story, though as I said earlier I think the episode is very much pro-choice. It isn't a straightforward or clear analogy though, and I think it is being overemphasised when - as others have noted - the story really fits more in with the rest of the season's theme of when is it morally justified to take or save a life.

The answer is "It's never morally justified, but some times you have to do it anyways. Unless the whole thing is a non issue and the consequences of not taking that life magically fix themselves and render everything kind of pointless"

• Locked thread