Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I was really impressed by that. It was beautiful in parts, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Teek posted:

Ehh, it's been blue enough. They used the red/orange filter back in Invasion of Time when Leela was traipsing about outside but it was still blue-ish at points.

Also, it was a fetching shade of Welsh overcast grey in The Five Doctors.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

The least imaginative opening sequence (although it hits all the nostalgia buttons for me nonetheless) is the early 80s starfield. I can't imagine the planning meeting for that went much deeper than "Well, he goes into space a lot, so maybe some stars or something?"

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

He can also claim to have given the best/worst reason for being unable to complete his Who script: his typewriter exploded.

E: More generally, though, it seems a bit unfair to definitively blame Anthony Steven for the strangling scene, as opening/closing TARDIS scenes (especially in terms of continuity for a new Doctor's first story) would typically be handled by the script editor rather than the scriptwriter. I don't know if this is specifically true for The Twin Dilemma, but given that Saward had to finish the scripts himself (and also rewrite a lot of it), it's possible it's actually another element of the creative bankruptcy the show found itself in around 1985, rather than simply due to a dodgy script from a one-time Who writer.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 7, 2014

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

I don't know any of those companions and especially not Pertwee's but whatever.

The Doctor/Australian Air Hostess/Killer Alien Schoolboy/Shapeshifting Telepathic Android companion setup is sorely due for a revamp

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

I've looked forward to each new episode this series in a way that I haven't since the fifth.

Capaldi is wonderful and I can't wait until the Christmas episode.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Counterpoint: don't watch Back and Forth, it's not very good.

BUT: watch The Cavalier Years and Blackadder's Christmas Carol if you haven't already done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Seriously, though, have you watched Sapphire and Steel? Because if you haven't, then you need to watch Sapphire and Steel.

Metal Loaf posted:

What was the one where they heard they were going to be cancelled, so the writers ended their last episode on a cliffhanger and got another season out of it, then when they heard they were going to be cancelled again, tried to same trick and it backfired on them?

Started with a "B", I think.

That would be Bugs. You don't have to watch Bugs.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread