Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't think that's really the point, actually. It seemed more to me like either they could destroy this thing and stop the moon from shattering, or let it hatch and risk it inadvertently loving up the Earth with giant chunks of space rock. Not that either seemed to be true or indeed coherent. It was a pretty weird bit of the episode.

I'm pretty sure the point was, "Is it OK to destroy an unborn being if it could possibly affect the health of the mother destroy the entire human race?"

And the answer given was "Of course not, the unborn innocent must never be harmed, and P.S. women can't be trusted with that choice", so gently caress this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

computer parts posted:

Do you think The Impossible Planet was primarily about the virtues of capital punishment too?

I haven't watched it in years and can't remember, sorry. But seriously, if that bit of Kill the Moon wasn't about abortion, then I'd be astonished. I mean,

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, anyone reading this episode as being anything to do with abortion except on an extremely superficial level is baffling to me. The analogy doesn't hold up for even like two steps (if you don't get this abortion...billions might die!!) and, as mentioned, abortion is not a controversial issue in Britain at all, the pro-life movement is very much an American cultural artefact.

How anyone can watch a debate about killing an unborn being in order to safeguard others and not think it's about abortion utterly baffles me. And there are plenty of anti-abortionists in Britain; I don't know what evidence you have that the writer isn't one of them, but I've got a whole episode of Doctor Who that suggests he might be.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Because as a science fiction analogy it doesn't stretch even to the first step. I guess you have to read the Earth as the mother of the child? So if you allow the baby to be born it might destroy your body and all your...population? Except you don't have any say because you're non-sentient? So it's up to all the parasites that live on you to decide whether to get the abortion or not?

The essential premise of the episode is "allowing this creature to live would endanger many other people, possibly absolutely everyone". It doesn't apply to arguments surrounding human babies at all unless you reductively boil down "absolutely everyone" to "like, a pregnant woman's psyche or something, right?".

I'm saying it's an analogy. No, it isn't exact, but:
a) "Mother Earth" is a well known metaphor.
b) The Earth itself isn't sentient, but its population is; we are, to that extent, the Earth. When people ask 'what does Britain think?' they're not talking about the dirt.
c) The Earth - that is, the population - was given the choice, quite directly (albeit in a loving stupid way which neatly matches the rest of this episode) of terminating the unborn lifeform. Given that the Earth is the mother in this analogy, possible destruction of the Earth = possible harm to the health of, or even death of, the mother. And then we are informed that that choice was wrong and the unborn must be protected.

Sorry, but this is Aslan = Jesus stuff. It's not remotely subtle.

By the way, hardcore anti abortionists aren't just prepared to risk 'a pregnant woman's psyche or something'. They'd see her dead before harming that precious foetus.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know, Unkempt, I think you're really reaching on this one, particularly if you think it's as hammer-to-the-head as Narnia. The text has a very different focus, particularly within the context of this season and the anti-militaristic tones of the Doctor. The past few episodes have been building a criticism of the way the Doctor interacts with soldiers and judges them upon their life choices. It's one thing to say the subtext may be there, but to insist that it's patently obvious that it's the intention is, to be frank, kind of absurd.

Well, it was patently obvious to me and my wife as well as several other people in this thread, but hey, other people are seeing different things so I'm just going to shut up about it. I mean, I'd much rather there was no intentional message like that.

I am going to insist that if that message was unintended then it's an extraordinarily piss-poor job from both the writer and script editor, though.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Lipset and Rock On posted:

I think it's wrong to say that Capaldi's Doctor doesn't care about people. My interpretation is that he is just much colder and less emotional than previous Doctors. That's not the same as saying he doesn't care. He just recognises when someone is doomed and uses it to gather information to play the numbers. Similarly he doesn't have time for emotional outbursts if he perceives that it risks someone else getting hurt (see his line about not having time to mourn this episode). He is 'the needs of the many...' taken to its logical conclusion.

This is a principle that is, in many ways, correct, but God drat does it make you look like a dick if you follow it to its logical conclusion.

It's exactly what he did in 'Into the Dalek' with the tracer pill he got the guy to swallow. They're doing a great job with consistent characterisation considering it's a new Doctor with multiple writers. It's almost as if they had a script editor who's doing his job!

Yeah, really liked that one, a nice surprise after last week's turd. I even liked Frank Skinner and he usually annoys the hell out of me. I assume we're going to find out who Gus is at some point?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

docbeard posted:

No, it's not up for me either. Weird. Aired as normal on BBCA last night as far as I could tell. The Intruders finale (which airs immediately after) is up, so who knows?

I can see it, so maybe it was just late.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

WHERE THE gently caress WAS EVERYBODY

THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF LONDON

I mean. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

What was the name of an English science fiction short series from about ten years ago about an alien invasion? I remember the aliens basically being glowing orange insects and some body snatched style duplicates too, one of which I think jumped off a bridge.

Were there a bunch of RAF pilots in it?

'Invasion: Earth'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140743/

• Locked thread