Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

Like Jenny! Who Moffat specifically asked to be left alive so she could...

...not ever return I guess.

Rita Repulsa posted:

I was surprised when Rusty did not kick the bucket at the end, that's how these kinds of tales usually go. Instead Rusty goes off on a venture.

That's the only reason Jenny lived, because dying is "how these kind of tales usually go".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"The triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism". That's what Ferguson described Doctor Who as being about. And he's pretty right - the Doctor is basically RoleModel.txt. Sure he can be a bit mean or weird some times and has occasional moments of sci fi Family of Blood style stuff, but he means well and is in almost all stories definitely the Good Guy in a very popular programme watched by children of all ages.

That is why it's such a huge loving annoyance (at best) or problem (more realistically) that he is doing an awful lot of harassing Clara over her physical appearance. This kind of poo poo does influence people and please back my Kickstarter to fund my trip to go boot Moffat in the balls.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

The doctor has never met anyone who wasnt important. Thats kind of part of his whole deal.

Either you're deliberately misinterpreting "important" or you've never seen any Doctor Who before - take your pick!

Khanstant posted:

Why would the Doctor pick out some arbitrary "normal" person as a companion?

Why indeed?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I am personally hand waving this away as the imagination of the three of them assuming it's a monster. None of them looked, so how would we (the audience) know what it looked like?

How do we know what the ship in Girl in the Fireplace is called?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Stretch goals: will hold Moffat's hand over a lighter until he records a personal apology for every use of the word "Yowza!" in Doctor Who.

Stretch goal: cram the collected Moffat DVDs up his arse

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There were a lot of good bits in the episode. I like Danny Pink, I liked the scene with Young Danny Pink, I like Capaldi's performance.

I didn't much care for most of what Capaldi was saying for the early parts of the episode - either it was directly offensive (his negging of Clara) or it was just plain stupid ("What if something evolved... to hide??"). There was no real flow to the episode, it was difficult to get a grip of what was happening. Still though, 6/10.

Until the stuff in the Doctor's childhood where it's revealed that Clara is basically so amazing she gives him his whole personality. loving dreadful. -10/10.

DoctorWhat posted:

We were all young, once.

Besides, any sense of "Time Lord mystery" is long since dead and buried. I'm beginning to question the point of maintaining the pretense, honestly; Shrodinger's cat has been out of the bag since The Deadly Assassin.

There was an episode that was made worse by something, let's include it again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I don't like seeing the regular aspects of Time Lord society on screen. It's like watching the Doctor on the toilet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

In my opinion, Capaldi is playing it as "I'm an alien and I don't see Clara is attractive when she really is and that's the joke."

If that were the case then the ways that the Doctor said Clara is unattractive wouldn't be regular human ways of calling people unattractive.

If you want to make a joke about how the Doctor has different standards of beauty then do it in the Adams way from City of Death ("You're a beautiful woman, probably") or the way he's written for Strax.

Don't do it in the (appropriately enough, as Snakes N Cakes has recently posted) Dragon Age 2 way:

Where every "different" standard of beauty is slim with big tits (and invisible high heels for two of em). The things the Doctor is saying suggests that he understands things like what make up is for and how it is used, he just doesn't think Clara measures up to those very human standards.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

They could very easily have not shown us anything at all if that was their intent

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hah, once you posted this i looked back at the image and at least 1 of the men, and maybe one more are also depicted with invisible high heels. The human male is the most obvious

His foot is flat, that's just perspective. The human and elf women have their toes bent up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I was putting stuff under my bed earlier, I can confirm that Jenna Coleman was not there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Well duh. When you looked, she sat on top of the bed instead.

Very sneaky, these Colemans.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Are you asking if it's true in real life?

Because no it's not.

If you're asking about the show you have as much idea as everyone else.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

It could be a neighboring planet; if you're going to lock away an entire planet it's probably a good idea to not be standing on it.

The Last of the Time Lords (except all those ones on planets outside Gallifrey that you can go to). Kind of removes the pathos a bit.

Psybro posted:

Killing off companions had technically been done before if you count Sara Kingdom, and gruesomely at that, but the Doctor is so drat powerless in a lot of the story and his TARDIS and companions get drawn right into the centre of the danger.

People always forget Katarina

Regarde Aduck posted:

No. No you don't do this poo poo here. This isn't the UK thread where you piss yourself and cry because someone used a gendered insult. This is the doctor who thread for straight men with big virile balls. Also you're a oval office and so's Basil Brush.

Go buy me a BRCT over it (so I can get the next in the series of Basiltars)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BioMe posted:

Jesus christ how long are you people going to cry about a joke?

It's just a bit of harmless banter

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

I mean like the equivalent of the Moon for Earth. It's possible (and indeed, likely) that by this stage of the Time War there were no more Galifreyan outposts.

We just went to one that survived the Time War!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

This pointing out has been going on for the last 5 pages.

Because of people going "I don't see the problem you should stop complaining".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

He passed the final examination getting a score of 51%, the lowest possible pass rate. Romana got a "triple first", whatever that is.

Given the writers around the programme at the time it'll be based on the Cambridge system - starred first is when you get a first in all your finals, double starred first when you get firsts in everything in Part I and Part II. Presumably the Time Lord degree has a Part III, like Maths and Physics do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Funhilde posted:

Thought this write up/recap was pretty good about some of the Moffat failings. Pretty good observations from two gay fashion bloggers.
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/09/doctor-who-listen/

quote:

And attention must be paid to both Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman, who may just be the best acting duo this show’s seen since the days of Tennant and Tate.

Man, this steak is the best meal I've had since that porridge I had for breakfast

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pizdec posted:

and Moffat's well-established love of time-fuckery this sort of thing just kinda happens once in a while.

This last happened SIX episodes ago. "Once in a while" = all the drat time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BioMe posted:

gently caress everyone who uses this tactic to champion their social "cause". Especially when you do this damaging antagonizing nonsense to attack people who disagree with a non-issue (even according to you) in children's TV banter dialogue. You could not make it clearer all you are doing is re-purposing a real issue to win a quick moral high ground to win a petty internet argument.

Me replying to your earlier post:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's just a bit of harmless banter

What do I win!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BioMe posted:

Try to miss the point harder, and for the love of god come up with better burns if you are going to pat yourself in the back for them.

It's not a burn, it's a sad prediction of things to come.

The "Stop defending your social cause like this" thing is such loving bullshit and is a large part of the problem so :condi:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ludicro posted:

Yeah I've seen people commenting that Storm Warning needs to be listened to first before, sounds like I might have to take the plunge. Well if an idea of some of my favourite serials from the show I'll list some off the top of my head.

The Daleks
The Aztecs
The Power of the Daleks
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber
The Invasion ("Packer..." :smug:)
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
Genesis of the Daleks
The Pyramids of Mars
The Talons of Weng Chiang

This list says to me "I like really good stuff. Recommend me good stuff" as it contains most of the really highly regarded stories from the first twenty years :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Except they're not accurate. People are using politically loaded terms to describe personal opinions. Its almost like they don't have the ability to communicate their opinions and feelings without trying to paint things they don't like as "evil" or "hateful." Moffat is a guy who thinks he's more clever than he actually is, not some woman-hating monster using a children's science fiction show to express his contempt for woman-kind. Seriously, if you substituted every sincere instance of "misogynist" or "misogyny" in this thread with "didn't like," it would be a much more civil and productive place to discuss Doctor Who.

You're a big baby with no self awareness

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

I think people are mainly railing against the assertions that:
1) Moffat is a misogynist because he wrote a joke goons didn't like/understand.
2) Putting down a woman's appearance is an issue of historical relevance and not just some silly windmill SJWs like tilting at.

You hear that Feminism? This guy has stated that people making fun of womens' appearances is not an issue, wrap it up Feminailures.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BioMe posted:

No, immediately telling possibly indifferent people that they are "part of the problem" or "the enemy" has the problem where they might start believing you. Since most social issues are purely a psychological warfare, turning a person against you is exactly like scoring in your own goal. Also in this case there's the matter of equating not buying a tone deaf interpretation of Doctor Who dialogue with being part of some kind of societal problem. I think there's some kind of misframing of the issue going on.

Anyway, it's not so much how you defend your cause, it's against who.

Men who aren't self-critical about sexist behaviour and how it affects/benefits them are a problem. Merely thinking "Well I'm not sexist, I'm not the problem" isn't enough because a lot of the effects of sexism are subtle and so rooted in society that they happen without people actively thinking about them or noticing them. Boo hoo if someone who doesn't think themselves as a problem gets called one, maybe one time out of a hundred they will actually have some self awareness and not just react with "They said a bad thing about me, that makes me unhappy so it must be wrong"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The current opening is poo poo and dull, replace away

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

LiquidLivid, you're pretty much ruining this thread. You're no better than Irish Joe in practice, even if you think your intentions are more pure.

Disagree.

Astroman posted:

My original point was "well I just don't see it, sorry." What you're saying here (bolded) is "this argument would be over a lot earlier if people would just agree that I am objectively right."

We're talking about cultural things, so anything being present in a work (or rather, be interpreted as being present in a work which is effectively the same thing from the audience's point of view) is determined by whether people see it in there or not. The result of one person saying "This is sexist" and one person saying "This isn't sexist" can never be "This isn't sexist", best case scenario is "Some people consider it to be sexist for these reasons:".

"I don't see it" isn't a counterargument to anything. The only actual discussion you can have about it is along the lines of what LiquidLivid has been posting - going into the theory, societal effect and that kind of thing. The discussion shares a lot of similarities with Creationism vs Evolution; it's really really easy to argue for Creationism by saying "I just don't think that happens" and then leaving the other side to give an abridged version of the argument of a whole field of work.

ProfessorLoomis posted:

No, I'm starting to think alot of you guys are socially inept shuttins.. imagine that..

Ironicat.jpg

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

No BRCTs yet thread? For shame

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's rubbish. I have no idea what it is but there is a 90% chance it'll be rubbish.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I don't really give a poo poo, I tend to only catch the episodes on Sunday at the earliest because I'm usually doing stuff Saturday evening. It's still bad without really looking forward to it that much!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I've thought of all the different ways it could resolve that I possibly can and they're at absolutely best disappointing.

No-one I've seen has come up with an idea that's not terrible. So Moffat needs to have come up with something good that doesn't come out of nowhere yet no-one has thought of it. This is unlikely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

What the gently caress is even happening in The Ribos Operation? :psyduck:

Awesomeness

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually went to the Big Finish site last night and at one point my mouse was hovering over the Add to Basket for Minuet in Hell before my senses prevailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWD45FN5zA

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Three's sword fight with the Master in The Sea Devils

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT - VVVVV Caves is just too obvious, y'see!

End of The Warriors of the Deep where everyone died

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Troughton? The scene in the otherwise poor The Krotons where he tries to beat Zoe at the quiz

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Clocks are the laziest most pedestrian thing to have in the opening for a programme about time travel. It's like a medical drama having stethoscopes whirling around as the title sequence.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pizdec posted:

For much of the show the character of Doctor WHO wore a coat with a question mark on it

That was also bad

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pizdec posted:

According to the wiki (sorry, didn't watch much of old Who) fobwatches and clocks were A Thing for at least five incarnations.

In that they occasionally featured on the show. They had equal prominence to a chair with a panda on it, an iconic element of the show that has mistakenly been lost by the ignorance and lack of vision in the shows' most recent producers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed. I figured someone would have by now- judging by how huge this thread is.

It's safest to just ignore Irish Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

More people should click the link in his BRCT.

Buy me archives then, I'm not made of forums upgrades

• Locked thread