Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

When they mentioned time lords and we were supposed to realise it was the Doctor in the barn, I initially thought it meant Danny was a time lord and they were going to explain why all his poo poo is so convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I did laugh when they joined the dots between "she has a wide face" and "why does she need three mirrors", but yeah it's worrying as a trend.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

That is all true. But in this universe how could he bust her balls safely and provide a good example for the children? Attack her intelligence? No. Attack her physical prowess? No. Attack her ability to manage children? No. Attacking either qualities which sexists traditionally believe women to be inferior to men, or qualities where sexists traditionally feel women excel, both seem sexist.

Is there any way for a powerful white man to rib his inferior female companion?

That's a good question and I think it reveals something about the quality of the character. Ideally you would pick on something she does (as opposed to something she is, although the English/Scottish dynamic might be level enough to work in a pinch). But what does she even do? How is she flawed? She was insensitive about Danny being a soldier a couple of times, but the Doctor wasn't there and he shares her prejudices on that topic anyway.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

She does stuff with kids. She is a teacher/nanny/babysitter, which frankly are pretty stereotypically feminine professions in recent history. Some of her incarnations are also very good with computers -- which isn't stereotypically feminine (though some of that was due to being uploaded or transformed into a dalak, not via hard work). And of course she's the girl who saves the Doctor. :rolleyes:

Yeah those are all good things, nothing I'd want to pick on. She doesn't have any flaws, is what I'm getting at. If she was actually a developed character you could easily rib her all day long without resorting to cheap/dishonest cracks about her appearance. Like, the Doctor could needle River Song for being an insufferable smuggo, or he could call out Vastra on being a leery murderer, and who cares what either of them looks like at that point.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Pizdec posted:

The problem is that things the Doctor berates companions for often include being dumb, reckless, irresponsible, overtly emotional, obtuse and other traits that are or have been attributed to women. So then you have to carefully a set of traits which were never stereotyped as feminine and end up with character choices that are limited and staggeringly boring. Being smug or a murderer would certainly count, as you said, but these are also traits that people don't really want to see in a main character of their long-running family escapist sci-fi TV show.

You don't have to commit murder to be a flawed character (but it certainly helps!)

There's pretty much no end to the mundane habits and problems you can assign to any given character, it is actually super easy to pick one or two that aren't exclusively coded "feminine".

Like, just this season the Doctor has become a coffee drinker, in addition to all the other weird stuff he does. What if we just gave that one to Clara instead? Nice job running down that corridor Clara, must be all the caffeine you poison yourself with. Wow that's not right Clara, sounds like you haven't had your morning coffee. I mean whatever, I'm not paid to write this poo poo. It's just an example. Obviously it's not something you can hang a whole character off anyway, but single traits on their own rarely are.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

What's the best place to stream classic stories in the UK? Amazon has a handful, Netflix just has the movie...

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, unless I missed something the whole,"Oh by the way the bracelet can reconstitute exactly one physical body with the mind intact" thing came out of nowhere and was never mentioned by the Doctor at all aside from Clara saying,"Oh yeah he mentioned this to me off-screen between scenes!"

It's how Missy has been going in and out of the Nethersphere all this time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The beam comes out of the back of the phone, not the top. Cyber Brig didn't save The Doctor from a moral breach, he just stopped him accidentally vaporising himself like a wally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

josh04 posted:

Definitely. When the episode people are passing around as the garbage entry of the season is Forest of the Night, something has gone very right.

e: Yeah, the finale while good was more on par with the season rather than the grand climax of 5.

Forest was really undercooked and basically nothing happened, but it had atmosphere for days. Kill the Moon is the garbage episode, clearly.

• Locked thread