Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh and pretty rude of Clara to give away someone else's family heirloom too!

Not really, it was given to her because it's apparently one of her family heirlooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With regards to Clara being off on 12 initially, that totally fits in with the events of the Day of the Doctor. She met the War Doctor and Ten and saw firsthand how different their personalities could be, despite technically being the same person. Then at the end of the episode when the Doctors were preparing to use the moment she had her little speech to Eleven about how she knew he'd done that, but had never pictured him doing it.

edit: McGann in Elevens console room https://mobile.twitter.com/pauljmcgann/status/443116279969644544/photo/1

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 15, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Every time I see a photograph of her I think "Oh, they're doing a Cassandra origin story"

Also, I just want to say how impressed with the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) I am. Up late tonight, I decided to see when the new episode becomes available on iview (our version of iplayer), and it's the exact moment it starts broadcasting on the BBC in Britain. Not only that, but the ABC shows new episodes at the exact same time, even compensating for time zones. Good work government broadcasting service, good work.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also 2, was rewatching series 3 thanks to the Toxx thread, and was amused to see The Master (in his Mister Saxon persona) walking around wearing coat with a red inner lining..

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Little_wh0re posted:

Senor Tron. You monster

It had to be done.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was a great episode, anyone know if there was a shift in director or editor from previous episodes in this series? The pacing and ending felt a lot better.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I liked the episode, but did anyone else feel the ending was flat?

Exact opposite, this was probably the most satisfying ending from the last few episodes IMHO,

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

All y'all forgetting the Hartnell appearance too :colbert:

It didn't strike me until now how strange it is that Clara wakes up there.

The Doctor teleported everyone into the TARDIS, then flew to the nearest inhabited planet. At which point he carried Clara's unconscious body out, and lay her on a bunch of rocks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

david... posted:

I have another casual viewer question, how good is time lord regeneration?

Could one come back from being beheaded or blown into pieces, what if one was impaled on a huge spike and died, would he regenerate only to immediately die again until he ran out of lives?

Or can they only come back from fancy space lasers and minor wounds?

I was falling asleep and then these questions popped in to my head and j must know...

What if one fell in to a very deep pit and died then regenerated stuck at the bottom of the pit, doomed to die of old age and regenerate over and over...

Ok thanks.

Turn Left had The Doctor drowning and being unable to regenerate due to being stuck underwater.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think that's what they intended. You don't see he's face because he's meant to have regenerated and then drown, using all his chances up.

That's one interpretation but the dialogue in the episode suggests that he simply died too quickly and was dead before having chance to regenerate. He has a discussion with Wilf later on in the series that says that can happen.

I'm all in favour of the idea that he used up all his regenerations underwater though, because I like when shows get morbid like that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or he ran through his last regenerations but still drowned. He could have looked like Peter Capaldi under that sheet for all we know.

Let's just split the difference and say it was Tennant under there, but he may well have regenerated multiple times, ending up in the same body over and over simply because he loves himself so much.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The relationship between the Doctor and the Clara this season feels like it's built on a season we didn't see. One where Smith didn't leave earlier than planned and Trenzalore was properly established etc.

That seems quite well implied by Day of the Doctor, it starts off showing Clara is now a teacher, and the events of the previous episode are mentioned in a "remember back when that happened?" kind of way.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alternatively he could have been imagining himself talking to 27 (or whatever that version of him was in Day of the Doctor)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Man, I was just rewatching Turn Left and ended up watching the series 4 two-parter ending. I cannot wait to see what happens when Oxx/Toxx get to that two-parter, it's peak RTD and I kind of miss this fun.

edit: Although I suspect it may get rated down based purely on that kiss between Rose and metacrisis Doctor.

edit2: But the Donna ending will probably make him forget all about that. Goodbye Donna, best companion.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 20, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Another episode where it feels like they just took the first draft and said good enough.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

I sort of had the impression that her TARDIS was just inside St. Paul's, with the front doors opening to the inside of the TARDIS - hence why the internal space with the Cybermen and the lab and whatnot didn't look like they should be the inside of the cathedral.

I'd prefer if the Master demolished St Paul's and had her TARDIS replace it, just to get a cool shot of the entire building fading away.

Just occurred to me, why does the light on top of the Doctors TARDIS flash when it materialises/dematerialises? The police box (including the light) is just a facade after all, so that light isn't actually part of standard TARDIS equipment. The only thing that makes sense is that it's the Time Lord equivalent of putting neons on the underside of your car.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I was actually wondering a bit about the airtime thing. Can anyone tell me exactly why? All I noticed over here in Australia was that the simulcast on the ABC slowly drifted from 4:30 to 6:30, and daylight savings can't entirely account for that.

Daylight savings actually introduces two hours difference, because when Australian clocks go forwards UK clocks go back (and vice versa)

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I strongly suspect that the Cybermen won't actually attack anyone, at least for now. This is just The Master showing off her amazing new immortality machines.

Now I'm really hoping you're right and that they are going to go for some more horror with the Cybermen. There is no point in uploading peoples minds back into the Cybermen bodies if they are removing all individuality and memory. So what if they told Danny is true, and they just delete fear and pain. All the Cybermen walking around actually have their memories, are peoples missing loved ones, and just want nothing more than to help unconverted people by giving them the wonderful gift of conversion.

That would make them scary.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder how long we can expect Capaldi in the role.

If he follows the standard of three series set by Tennant and Smith, then we probably have Moffat around for two more years, before handing off to a new show-runner for a new Doctor. If Capaldi seems like he could be around for longer then I could see the coming series being Moffats last, handing off halfway through the Capaldi run.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Actually, probably the latter rather than the former. Moffat himself said that the stress of taking over the show AND having a new Doctor in his first season was cripplingly difficult. Even if Capaldi only goes three seasons, I would expect to see Moffat bow out after Capaldi's second season, allowing his successor to have an established Doctor for at least one season before doing a regeneration.

I considered that, but it would seem to if anything make things harder for a new person coming in to essentially have a caretaker year where they are tying up someone elses work before getting the full fresh start.

That said, while I wouldn't give up Smiths first series for anything, I really wish I could pop into the alternate universe and watch the Series 5 where Tennant ended up hanging around for Moffats first year.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh, hello old friend :gonk:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Master stared into it, and what he saw drove him mad.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Man, Captain Jack would make a fantastic companion for Capaldi.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does he know about the series of specials in any way, or does he think that after this he's going straight into series 5? It was really funny when his review kept talking about how Tennant is gone and Matt Smith is in now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, that's going too far in my opinion, the original post by ThePutty was great, when it was just:

ThePutty posted:

the matt smith episodes were the last time i watched doctor who so i'm really interested to see what you've got to say about them now that tennant is finally out

Actually talking about what happens is risking it too much though.

DoctorWhat posted:

maaaan occ's gonna be SO MAD he might actually quit the thread and then I'll never get him to listen to CBakes on audio

Maybe he'll be happy about more Tennant. After all, he has all the incredibly wonderful specials to still look forward to.

Christ, he's gonna give up before we get to Eleven isn't he.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I hate anyone who does that coy not-a-spoiler poo poo in any context and the only reason I'm not bringing it up is because I don't want to attract any attention from Occ, and because there's no doubt going to be more in the near future. I'm just telling him to stay out of all Who threads until his next writeup is posted.

I stand by our occasional references to how much Donna has been irrevocably changed to a better person by her time with the Doctor. :colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ThePutty posted:

in retrospect, was the first matt smith season actually good? i honestly remember it being quite solid as a whole, although it might just be because RTD was finally gone and something new was happening

of course we all know how that turned out when the same season happened two more times

Series 5 was the best, apart from the Silurian 2 parter it's just filled with great episodes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

You know, I just rewatched the start of Dark Water, and I'm really curious as to what would've happened if The Master hadn't just happened to be downloading humanity's minds into a Matrix Slice at the same time the Doctor was apparently sincerely searching for the Afterlife.

The Doctor was searching for that because of Clara, and he has Clara as his companion because of the Masters influence. They never gave an explanation for why Clara, the Master having some sense that she was going to be a common link in both of their timelines and it being a paradoxical loop seems as likely an explanation as any.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If The Doctor knew they had gone to Gallifrey in his childhood he would probably have a hearts attack due to the restrictions on messing with personal timelines and especially on messing with Gallifreys timeline.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

We need to have more episodes where the Daleks are actively helping people, AS Daleks.

One of my favorite audios I've listened to was the one with the 8th Doctor finding that stranded colony being aided by the Daleks. Their dialogue was so AMAZING for just how unnatural it was.

Basically treat them like an actual alien species again, like you did before Davros came along, and less like living plot devices of death and chaos.

That's what I hoped they were doing in Victory Of The Daleks. Imagine how weirder it would have been if the Daleks had genuinely turned out to be on Earth to make sure the Allies won over Nazi Gwrmany, due to them knowing it makes humanity easier to defeat in some future war front they also have going on.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's also worth considering that Doctor Who is marketed as a family show. There are kids watching the show now who weren't born when the revival started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

My favorite episode of Red Dwarf also happens to be relevant to the last conversation we had. White Hole is really funny to me, for some reason.

http://youtu.be/TxWN8AhNER0

Red Dwarf X was remarkably good for what it was, I'd rate it with some of the better seasons of the show's original run. I think my favorite part was that they didn't update any of the set design or technology; it's all still an industrial 1990s future, and it looks exactly like it should.

Yeah, Series 7 and 8 went all out with the CGI which meant it dated really badly. The decision to go back to models and that more Aliens-esque aesthetic was definitely a good one.

To bring things relevant to this thread, the TARDIS was included in one of the Red Dwarf models used for a few years, although I don't think it is ever clear onscreen: http://www.timey-wimey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sJesBXZ2bg.jpg

• Locked thread