Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm using my 50" LD tv as a monitor for the time, i did this for a long time in the past also and i had no issues. Back then i used one of those wires with the pin connectors in a rectangle (i don't know the name, i'm sorry).

These days i'm using a HDMI wire and i'm seeing while the resolution says 1920x1080 it is infact 1280x720. Now i googled and it said this could be a thing with HDMI and computer to TV connects. So i was fine with that and started looking for a new wire, but meanwhile i started playing the new Civ game, the one in space and it is 100% in 1920x1080, so the TV CAN display that resolution with the HDMI wire after all. Anyone got a clue with that limited information?

I use a Nvidia GTX 770 and the specific make of the TV i can't remember, sorry, it's a bit old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone suggest a mouse that is close to the Razer Naga (customization side buttons, in depth software with macros and sensitivity options) but isn't a Razer mouse? I've had so much problem with Razer mice the last year and i'm finally done with them.

As a side note my issue is that they keep "forgetting" where they are and the mouse stops moving for several seconds no matter the surface i use them on, how i mess with the calibration settings or how much i clean the lens.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Alereon posted:

I'd check out the Mouse Megathread.

Cheers, i missed that somehow.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm kinda bad at explaining, but here goes.

I have 2x GTX980 in SLI and I use a projector as my computer screen. This projector wants (prefers maybe) a HDMI connection, the other day I got VR googles (Oculus) that also want the HDMI connection.
I was hoping to have both things at the same time, so i popped the projector into the HDMI port on the second 980 with the VR in the first 980, but nothing happens then. Is there a way to do this with HDMI cables and have both at the same time?

edit: OS is windows 10

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume your implication here is that you only have one HDMI port per card?

Yes! Thank you, I got it to work with the help of your post, I followed your suggestions in order:
I tried restarting the computer with the projector plugged into the second SLI card, but nothing happened. Then I tried disabling SLI, but no dice. However while i was there i noticed a option that seemed like it was relevant, "Span displays with Surround". I set SLI to do that and the projector came alive, but in the end I couldn't get it to work right and went back to "Maximize 3D performance". When i did that the projector continues to work. I don't know why, feels like the second GPU needed a reminder of what it could do or something, but now it works at least.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a thingamajig i can buy to make USB and USB extender lock together? I feel like i can probably solve this very easily with some rubber bands, BUT it's gonna be out in the open and i'm willing to pay a little bit at least for something that looks good.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a program i can use to throttle my internet down to a speed limit of my own choosing and then easily remove that limit after?

Where i live i have two options for internet: almost antiquated ADSL or extremely exploitative 4G wireless net. The 4G net is starting to cost me so much that it's getting to be a real problem, so i'd like to try simulating the ADSL speeds to see if i can live with it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

EssOEss posted:

NetLimiter works great for this. You can even throttle per-app if you want.

Thanks!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a CM Storm Trooper case and the top fan has started making a awful sound and is clearly on it's last legs. I have never bought or replaced a fan before, can you guys recommend one that fits the top slot? I have no idea what to look for.

Any other pit falls i should be aware of when replacing fans?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Statutory Ape posted:

Per CM website:

200mm x1, or 140mm x2, or 120mm x2

Those are the ones that fit your top slot(s)

I used noctua fans on my desktop and like them so far. I wanted something air cooled that ran silent when not gaming. Mission accomplished.

Your case has a fan controller so grab something with 4 pins, aka PWM fan.

Noctua NF-A20 PWM premium-quality quiet 200mm fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SLFBNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zIXzBb1D9BCB4

Is an example of one

Thanks!
My very limited local retailer happens to have exactly the one you linked there so i'll just get that one. I can't order from amazon cause the US one costs too much in shipping and UK amazon has a ban on exporting most electronics to my country for some reason. It's dumb.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 5, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm making a projector/home cinema/couch gaming room atm, to access games/movies/etc in the room i'm using a Steam Link. I'm stuck on finding a sound system that's affordable and makes sense tho, it's been 15+ years since I've bought one and 5.1 systems with a subwoofer and the like seem to have gone out of style and in it's place there are these planks (?) single speakers that are popular now, but the sound sucks pretty hard.

I found some 5.1 systems of course, but the prices are utterly ludicrous and they come with BlueRay players and lots of pointless poo poo. I just want a affordable 5.1 system (or something like that) with a USB connection option for the Steam Link and no extra pointless stuff, but all my experience is at least 15 years old and i was a idiot back then too. Anyone got any suggestions?
I'm in Norway so the products might have different names than American ones, but just post them and i'll figure it out via googling.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How can i tell if a game is running poorly because my computer is getting old or because the game is poorly optimized? Is it as simple as looking at the Task Manager performance monitor and if one of the primary resources is maxed out and the game is chugging i need to upgrade that part? But if it's chugging along with nothing maxed out it's the game?

I want to get more into upgrading my computer myself and etc instead of paying companies to do it, but i need to learn how to identify stuff like this first.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There's no point getting a internet connection that's faster than the read/write speed of your SSD correct? They are offering 1gig fibre here soon(tm), but my SSD is at around 550mb.

I ordered the 1gig cause "i've had max 5mb download my entire life, time to go ham", but i started thinking that i might be wasting almost half of it and could just go down to the lower package instantly instead of being max decadent for a year.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah, no its 1000 Mbps and my SSD is 550 MB, so i should be good then. drat, that's so easy to confuse.

Edit: i see that i actually ordered the 500/500 connection and not 1000, eh its probably more than enough

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ok so, i have a computer room and a large VR room. In between these rooms i have a tiny hole that i run wires for the Rift & it's sensors through. I wanna play Elite Dangerous in VR again (cause it got a cool update), but this means i have to get a mouse, a keyboard and my HOTAS setup into that room as well.

Can i use a "USB Hub" to do this? Run a active USB extender cable through the VR gloryhole, attach it to the USB Hub and then attach keyboard, mouse & HOTAS to that?
Would this thing work like that? https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5522_UH700.html

I have absolutely zero experience with these things and i'm not 100% sure of what they actually do.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Geemer posted:

Yes, that is literally what they are for. A powered hub like you linked is especially good if you're gonna attach stuff to it that might need a lot of power from USB.

Geoj posted:

There is a distance limitation to a single-run USB cable. If you need to go further than about 10 feet you'll need an "active" USB cable (basically plugs into a DC power supply and amplifies the signal) to extend that range out to about 150 feet.

Ok, cheers both of you, i'm on the right track then.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Kind of a vague question here, but i don't know a better way to formulate it.

I just got fibre installed here today and it came with a router. I can apparently not log into the router proper and change everything i want to with this thing, but rather log into their website and change things they feel i should be allowed access to (and this also of course requires the internet connection to be actually working).

This kinda seems like it's becoming the norm in my country at least (Norway) and my question is: Do i have to use the ISP supplied router? If not, is it a giant clusterfuck to try and get a custom router working with the ISP connection?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ufarn posted:

Some things can get locked down pretty hard for some ISPs. Sometimes, you can't change passwords without losing your connection, which isn't a great design.

Look up "bridge mode" on your ISP website to see how to enable it and hook up another router. It's usually available, even for the worst ISPs out there, and works pretty effortlessly.

Oh, this router that they gave me has "bridge mode", i'll look into that, cheers.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There were enough options in the end available to me to solve the problems i had, but i surely do resent madly not being allowed full access to my own poo poo. Especially the "you need internet access to access the router" part is really stupid, haha.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, they said quote: "You do not have the ability to log into the home central (lost in translation probably, but aka the router innards) like with a regular router, but you have the ability to change certain settings via "my page" on our site".

This is apparently "a thing" here now, most likely to cut down on people that don't know what they are doing going into the settings and nuking everything i assume.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are some common reasons for extreme CPU overheating with 0 load/idle?

Yesterday my computer was behaving as normal, didn't get any notifications about overheating at least, but when i turned it on today it pretty much straight away went up to 90+ celcius with the fans working as hard as they could and i started getting warnings about it so i shut it down and let it cool off. It happens every time i turn it on now tho. Nothing is different today, the computer is clean and the temperature in the room is pretty cool.

The fans seem to be working fine, i can physically see them operating and everything seems fine in BIOS.

Intel Core i7-4790K Prosessor
Cooler Master Seidon 120V v2 CPU Cooler
ASUS Z97-A, Socket-1150 motherboard

Googling generally seems to point towards the thermal paste, i have never done that cause the CPU area scares me, feels like im poking in its brains. So the thermal paste has been left alone since february 2015 when i had it built.

Should i remove the CPU cooler and just look at the thermal paste? Can i just see if it needs to be replaced?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna try to fix it myself then since the warranty has gone out anyway and i'll feel a lot better if i do.

It looks like the Cooler Master Seidon 120V v2 isn't being sold anywhere in my country anymore, is the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 about the equivalent to it? It has the LGA1150 Socket, same dimensions, but not quite the same RPM as the original one. What else is important with CPU coolers?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

If the pump is dead you likely won’t be able to revive the unit.

You won’t see any appreciable difference between most any 120mm AIOs. Maybe sound volume based on the fan but that’s always interchangeable.

Oh yeah, by fix it i meant replace the cooler and reapply the thermal paste. Trying to actually mend a piece of broken tech is waaaaay beyond me.
Thanks for the help!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Oh yeah, by fix it i meant replace the cooler and reapply the thermal paste. Trying to actually mend a piece of broken tech is waaaaay beyond me.
Thanks for the help!

Did this now today once the parts finally arrived, think i did it correctly in the end? Temps are 37 Celsius idling in BIOS and about 41-43C idling in Windows proper. I ran a quick stress test using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility looking for thermal throttling and there was none, but at the very last second of the test i got a warning about 81C. It's worth mentioning we are experiencing a decent heatwave here tho atm.

It wasn't that hard like you guys said, but still managed to mess up a bit, hehe.
Wasted first syringe of thermal paste by blowing my load too hard and applying way to much, so i cleaned that up.
Wasted second syringe of thermal paste by deciding that the old fastening for the CPU cooler thats on the backside of the motherboard looked "pretty much like the new one??" and concluding that i didn't need to put in the new one. But i did since the screws in the old one were wrong for the new cooler and the paste was spread poorly.
Third and final syringe i have apparently done correctly it seems (i hope), but i did put the fans in in such a position that the case couldn't be closed anymore so i had to take that part out and and turn it 45 degrees.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I have a 465GB SSD thats starting to fill up and i wanna swap it out for a 1GB, but i want to keep all the files, the drive letter and basically Raiders of the Lost Ark this poo poo so all programs think that nothing actually happened. I have never done anything like this before and so far my research largely points to using "EaseUS Todo Backup" to clone the SSD. I don't wanna gently caress things up tho so figured and id post and ask if thats the best way to do it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The SSD i wanna change isn't my boot drive tho, does that change things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah, nice nice.