Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I'm moving house and don't feel like dragging the three (complete, working) SGI Octanes that have been in my closet for a decade with me. Any suggestions on something I should do with them besides leaving them out for the metal strippers or taking them to a recycling place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Jago posted:

People tend to recommend Brother. I have one myself. $100 bucks for a full duplex networked laser printer is good to me. If you want to print photos, go to walgreens.

I was going to say a Brother Laser. I have an ancient HL2070N and it's been flawless for like a decade now. I briefly had a job rolling out POS terminals and their backend systems and restaurants would have a similar Brother laser printer covered in years of fryer grease residue and still trucking along under a counter somewhere.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So I am going to be replacing my i7 4790k stock fan cooler with a 212 EVO, but I have never done a replacement before. So I have a couple questions:

-When removing my old cooler, do I just yank it off?
-Is the the thermal paste that is going to be left over on the cpu going to be a problem?
-The 212 comes with a thermal paste applicator, but I have never done that because the intel coolers come with it pre-applied. Is there a particular pattern I should apply it in?

I ended up watching a couple of youtubes of the installation before I put on a 212. The part with the backplate on the other side of the board seemed vague in the printed directions but was simple once I had watched someone else do it first.